5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bible for learning readers!
This bible is the well-accepted NIV version...with a twist. It's called the NIrV ('r' for 'readers') due to taking larger words which are fine for older children and adults...and breaking them into smaller words appropriate to 5-8 year old's reading skills.

The meaning/concept has NOT been compromised.

For example...it took me several hours to...
Published on January 2, 2009 by LadyHawke9973

3.0 out of 5 stars brenda
I was alittle shocked while reading the Sodom lesson to my class.
We have 6 year olds in the class and it was saying that young
and old men were at Lot's door wanting to have sex with the guests.
I just think it could have been written with alittle less detail
on men wanting to have sex with other men. Some other areas is
alittle more open to the...
Published on October 10, 2010 by Brenda

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bible for learning readers!, January 2, 2009
This review is from: Adventure Bible for Early Readers, NIrV (Hardcover)

The meaning/concept has NOT been compromised.

For example...it took me several hours to figure out how to explain "according" to my 5 year old daughter (1 Cor. 15:3b - "that Christ died for our sins, according to the scriptures.") Granted, a dictionary would have solved this, but I was stubborn and had to figure it out on my own.

Turns out, the NIrV's wording was exactly what I came up with: 1 Cor. 15:3b - "Christ died for our sins, just as Scripture said he would."

My daughter loves being able to read the bible on her own and not having to struggle with the 'grown up words' which can be changed for easier wording.

This is not the case through-out (some words simply can not be substituted)....but it puts her at a good reading point at 5 years old!

Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic minus the 'r' in NIrV, July 5, 2010
This is a "big kid" Bible--complete set of scripture, leather bound, silver edged pages--the kind you'd want your kid to have for a while. Which is why we bought it for our third-grade-level 6-year-old reader. But now that we have it, we're realizing it was a mistake to get the NIrV because he's frustrated with the verses he's already memorized in church, etc, and he's not interested in memorizing any out of this Bible knowing that he'll have it "wrong" from the NIV. On the positive side, it truly is a lot easier to read, which is nice, so he reads it on his own all the time for his "free reading" time. Basically, I wish I'd just gotten a cheaper NIrV for him to have for a year or so, and then invested in the leather-bound NIV once it was THE Bible he'd have through school. Oh, and the devotionals are fantastic & age appropriate for 6 year olds or 10 year olds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bible for Children, November 16, 2008
This review is from: Adventure Bible for Early Readers, NIrV (Hardcover)
This is a great bible for kids. I gave it to my 5, 7, and 9 year old and my 14 year old flipped through it and said she wanted one. It is colorful and easy to read and it has questions that kids ask with the answers. It is a teaching bible and you can flip to almost any page and there will be a small highlighted section with a title like, "Did you know?", or "Live it" or "Words to Treasure" etc. and in these sections, there are facts, explainations, and life lessons for the children. I have found that I like flipping through their bibles becasue there are so many interesting facts and they are quick and easy to read. I have seen my 7 year old wake up excited to read before going to school and there is no greater joy than seeing your child read the bible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Early Readers, October 18, 2012
This review is from: Adventure Bible for Early Readers, NIrV (Hardcover)
This is a nice version of the NIV Bible that has been read and accepted by many around the world. Of course there are other versions which more accurately convey meaning of the original text, but it's still widely accepted by scholars and Bible teachers around the English speaking world. This version is the "reader" version which makes the difficult words easier to understand for younger readers. It DOES NOT, however, remove content to appease your personal sensitivities. So yes, it uses the word "sex" in the Genesis story of Sodom and Gomorrah. It is the Bible and it's a Bible story that's actually in the Bible. Nearly those exact same words are in the "adult" version of the NIV Bible as well. This is the NI"r"V. It IS NOT intended to be a children's Bible story book which would gloss over or remove offensive parts. It's the Bible in simple language. If you want a children's Bible story book that removes all of the offensive parts, then you need to look elsewhere. Or you could just use the NKJV which uses the phrase, "know them carnally", instead of the word sex. Sure, that's better.

As for the rest of it, I believe most of the "helps" by Lawrence Richards are age appropriate and well done. It makes a nice Bible for young readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first complete bible, May 22, 2012
This review is from: Adventure Bible for Early Readers, NIrV (Hardcover)
I bought these for my children to take to church so they would be able to follow along. It was their first complete bible. I got the little tabs also. My only advice is for active boys get a bible cover. This book has withstood a lot, but if you want it to look nice then do that. Amazingly although ours do looked loved they are still all together and haven't lost pages or anything. That is saying a lot.

3.0 out of 5 stars brenda, October 10, 2010
This review is from: Adventure Bible for Early Readers, NIrV (Hardcover)
I was alittle shocked while reading the Sodom lesson to my class.
We have 6 year olds in the class and it was saying that young
and old men were at Lot's door wanting to have sex with the guests.
I just think it could have been written with alittle less detail
on men wanting to have sex with other men. Some other areas is
alittle more open to the sex talk than I like. Other than this
I think it's a great book, maybe it should have been made for
alittle older age group.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it, February 10, 2010
Kat D. "DreamKat29" (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I got this for my 5 year old, and while he's still working on reading, he loves listening to the stories and looking at the pages and the little pictures and boxes make him ask questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars nirv adventure bible, August 25, 2008
This review is from: Adventure Bible for Early Readers, NIrV (Hardcover)
This is a good quality bible for the price. We bought these to give to all of our children in grades 1-4. All of them love their bible and the nirv is an excellent translation for children. Some of the parents have asked me if they could have one of these bibles. They also like how readalbe it is.
We will be buying more in the future as we need them.

Rev. Terry D. Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Adventure Bible for Early Readers, NIrV (Hardcover)
I love recommending this Bible for early readers. I use it in my Sunday School class and purchased on for my Granddaughter as she entered Kindergarten. It is a great "first real Bible" when your child is ready to move up from "story Bibles". It is the complete text Genesis to Revelation, written in simple language easier for them to understand. The extra study helps are useful and appealing to the children. Great to read to them as they are learning to read and then for them to read themselves and their skill improve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Devotionals, June 15, 2013
A great way to start your family on their family devotionals is to let them have their own bibles from which they can take turns reading

Adventure Bible for Early Readers, NIrV
Adventure Bible for Early Readers, NIrV by Larry Richards (Hardcover - June 29, 2008)
$27.99 $21.32