5.0 out of 5 stars Continues In The Spirit of Season One
The thing I love most about this show (covering all seasons in fact) is its unique combination of extreme simplicity, gentle playfulness, and profound depth. If Miffy and Monkey had a child, that child would be Adventure Time!

Published 23 months ago by Theo

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Extras
I was really excited to get this blu-ray along with the blu-ray of the first season and while I'm happy to get both seasons in blu-ray quality, the extras are sorely disappointing.

Published 20 months ago by Aoloye

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues In The Spirit of Season One, March 2, 2013
This review is from: Adventure Time: Season 2 (DVD)

There's also an amazing range in the "feel" of the individual episodes. Just in season two alone, that spans the gamut from "The Chamber of Frozen Blades", a kind of affectionately absurdist homage to the ninja movie craze of the early 80's, to the far deeper but still almost equally playful "Death in Bloom". In this latter episode our heroes must undertake a classic journey into the underworld. The only difference is, in their case it's to retrieve the soul of a houseplant!

In this season we also get to see both the land of Ooo and the psyches of some of its leading characters explored in significantly greater depth. I'm particularly thinking here of the season opener "It Came From The Nightosphere", as well as "Susan Strong", and the climactic two-part season finale, "Mortal Folly" and "Mortal Recoil". The mind of the Ice King in particular may well be unique in all of television: for he is at once a complete sociopath and completely human, with all of humanity's need for love and friendship.

Watching an episode of Adventure Time unfold is like poetry. Still more so when you get to see whole seasons, because it's then that you get to appreciate the full range the creators are capable of. I've heard New Zealand novelist Janet Frame quoted as saying that "a good novel should exercise all the muscles of the heart and mind".

That's what you get in a full season of Adventure Time.

Theo.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Extras, June 4, 2013

One plus about purchasing a DVD or blu-ray is getting to view extras and for a show like Adventure Time, I was really looking forward to getting more insight into the show from the creators themselves. There were only two extras available: Some interviews with the staff and commentary tracks.

The interviews are basically a waste of time. Pen briefly interviews some of his staff and has them watch a funny/bizarre video on a computer screen. Unfortunately, we cannot see what they are actually watching, just the expressions of each person as they watch the seemingly hilarious video. This is such a huge tease. Why did they even put this on here?

As for the commentaries, I was at first happy to see that they had commentary tracks for every episode, but after going through a few episodes, I am just left frustrated. It seems like every now and then a part is cut out and replaced with ukulele music because people either ramble on or what was said was too "juicy" for a children's television show. My heart was broken to hear a lead in into some sort of interesting tidbit behind a character or scene only to hear it abruptly cut into ukulele music and cut back out to uproarious laughter. I sort of understand this, but is it really so salacious that it couldn't be included or perhaps couldn't they have put some sort of warning for parents? What's great about this show is that it tiptoes around what appears to be adult content in a way that appeals to all ages and this seems like a slap in the face to its adult fans. In any case, since when do children actually listen to commentary?!

Outside of this, the actual content, the episodes themselves, are still great and I'm happy to have this blu-ray. That's why I gave it three stars. However, I do have the feeling that I have somehow been cheated as a fan of this show. I hope that they correct this in future releases. I would rather have no extras then to be teased like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want want want want want want.........., February 18, 2013
This review is from: Adventure Time: Season 2 (DVD)
Oh my goodness. Yes I know we are in the internet age. Yes I know I can watch on TV, but dammit there is not something as satisfying as not only watching a good cartoon on my Tv without commercials, put to watch it knowing I gave the creators the payment they deserved.

Having said that, I am afraid that I am saying that partially out of fear. You see, Cartoon Network has this nasty habit of not releasing their shows on DvD. They tried once with a bunch of their award winning shows. First there was Power Puff Girls that was released as this monster of a DvD set that was practically intimidating to buy (both in price and the prospect of sitting for 4 days straight watching it to get my money's worth). Then they tried the first seasons of a few of their other shows. As you know, every first season of anything is rocky and lower in budget, so I can assume that many buyers like me saw those DvDs and thought "you know, I love season 3 of Ed, Edd, and Eddy, that is when the animation and jokes sky rocketed, I will just wait for that to come out seeing that CN release all of Samurai Jack and Power Puff Girls".

8 years later that has proven to be a risk strategy as a consumer considering the sellers are willing to chicken out like that {Even though other smaller companies can still afford a massive DvD distribution if the only thing they can sells is grainy public domain copies of Betty Boop}.

I will buy this dvd, but only in hopes to not only pay the creators directly for their good work, but to get CN to give me the opportunity to buy neat copies of their nifty library of cartoons that defined a generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show for all ages, November 7, 2012
This is an excellent show for everyone. It's cute and colorful, but filled with whimsy and a lot of wry humor as well. It's also a quote making machine. Almost every episode has a quote that you can repeat for days. This show is tops bloobie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!, February 13, 2013
Shaye (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adventure Time: Season 2 (DVD)
Let's put a move on, CN!! It's about time! We need more seasons on disc, not just those random compilations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Episode Listing, November 20, 2013
This BluRay contains all 26 episodes from the Second Season of the Adventure Time series. Amazon doesn't always do a good job on their episode listings so here are the episodes that are included on this BluRay:

1. It Came from the Nightosphere
24. Mortal Folly
25. Mortal Recoil
26. Heat Signature

5.0 out of 5 stars What time is it?, November 26, 2012
Best animated show ever. Pendleton Ward is brilliant. Twelve more words are required for me to post this review. Poo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have been nice to have more than one language, January 5, 2014
This review is from: Adventure Time: Season 2 (DVD)
The title on the box tells you exactly what you're getting, the complete second season.
If you love Adventure Time, this is perfect. 26 episodes on two disks.

It would have been nice if there were other languages or at least subtitles. Other Cartoon Network DVDs I own, such as the first seasons of The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home, have the option for Spanish and French. When you go into the options on this disk, all you get is the option to turn English subtitles on or off. This isn't much of a problem, but if you have young relatives from other countries visiting who don't know English, it's a bit of a let down.

Other than that, this is a perfect addition to go along with the box set for season one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I've ever purchased in my life, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Adventure Time: Season 2 (DVD)
Did I mention this is the best thing I've ever purchased in my life? But the third season needs to exist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure Time 2, August 15, 2013
This review is from: Adventure Time: Season 2 (DVD)
Season 2! We can watch it whenever we want without commercial breaks! Kids love this cartoon about Finn & Jake! Bring on MORE!!!

Adventure Time: Season 2
Adventure Time: Season 2 by Larry Leichliter (DVD - 2013)
$26.95 $19.00