4.0 out of 5 stars Elisabeth Shue's Babysitter Blues - a fun romp for the kids
Published on February 6, 2001 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Blu-ray quality
Published on August 7, 2012 by Bay sailor

4.0 out of 5 stars Elisabeth Shue's Babysitter Blues - a fun romp for the kids, February 6, 2001
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (COMMUNITY FORUM 04)
This review is from: Adventures in Babysitting (DVD)
Beginning your movie with the right song can get you off to a good start and "Adventures in Babysitting" gives us that golden oldie "And Then He Kissed Me" as Chris Parker prepares for her big date with her boyfriend. Unfortunately, this clown promptly proceeds to dump our heroine, which only proves he is a fool because Chris is played by Elisabeth Shue. Those of us who remember "Call to Glory" already knew that Shue was a babe and so does Brad Anderson (Keith Coogan), the kid who is too old for the babysitter on whom he has a mondo crush. Into the mix we add Sara Anderson (Maia Brewton), the adorable kid sister who has a thing for the Mighty Thor from Marvel Comics (she must have got the cool Thor helmet from Stan Lee, Jack Kirby or somebody in the ol' Bullpen), Daryl Coopersmith (Anthony Rapp), Brad's best friend who has yet to learn when to shut up, and Brenda (Penelope Ann Miller), Chris' best friend who is stuck in downtown Chicago at a bus depot without her glasses, having decided that running away from home was a bad idea. Unfortunately for our heroine, deciding to simply go down and pick up Brenda proves to be a bad idea. With the three kids in tow, Chris takes off for the big city. When the station wagon gets a flat tire that is only the first in a massive chain of misfortunes that befall our plucky lass. There will be a tow truck man with a claw, street thugs with knives on the El, gangster in a chop shop, a college frat party, a close encounter with the parental units at a party high at top a skyscraper, and a delightful session of singing "The Babysitter Blues."
In its own way, "Adventures in Baby Sitting is in the mold of the Indiana Jones films, where the cast of characters are stuck on a roller coaster of exciting encounters. Our harried heroine puts up with all of this in order to save her friend and get the kids home before their parents find out they have spent the night narrowly escaping death instead of being safe at home watching the tube. Even though there is a running gag that Chris looks exactly like the Playmate of the Month, this is a movie aimed for kids in the age range of her charges. There is enough of a cartoonish element to the bad guys to take the edge off of the dangers involved and of course we know from the first note of the movie that everything will turn out okay in the end and Chris is going to top off the evening by getting kissed by someone who might actually deserve her. Shue's natural performance holds the film together and although she has gone on to decidedly more dramatic roles in her more recent films, she evinces a natural flair for comedy in this one. However, be warned: once your kidlets have seen this 1987 Disney film they are going to be grossly disappointed in whoever you pay to watch them the next time you go out for a night of fun. Final note: Be sure to watch the entire credits at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars a classic 80's comedy, February 17, 2006
Byron Kolln (the corner where Broadway meets Hollywood) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Adventures in Babysitting (DVD)
Another classic 80's comedy, ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING (aka "A Night on the Town") comes to DVD to delight old fans and new.

When highschool senior Chris Parker (Elisabeth Shue) decides to spend Saturday night babysitting the Anderson kids Sara (Maia Brewton) and Brad (Keith Coogan) as well as Brad's best friend Daryl (Anthony Rapp), no one, not least Chris, will be prepared for the wild ride ahead, when Chris' best friend Brenda (Penelope Ann Miller) phones and begs to be rescued from the Chicago bus depot after an aborted attempt to run away. Chris bundles the kids in the car and heads for downtown Chicago, but after getting stranded thanks to a flat tyre, the gang end up in a mess of trouble!

This is such a fun film. Elisabeth Shue glows as Chris and offers one of her funniest comedy performances. Whilst she is best-remembered by most film critics for her role in "Leaving Las Vegas", to 80's kids like me, she'll forever be fondly regarded as Chris in AIB.

Anthony Rapp, Keith Coogan and Maia Brewton are hilarious in their roles, and Penelope Ann Miller is a scream in the film's clever subplot of Brenda's adventures in the bus depot. The film also features early turns from Vincent d'Onofrio, Bradley Whitford and George Newbern.

The DVD is presented in non-anamorphic widescreen, with no extras whatsoever, but fans will just be happy to finally have this 80's gem on DVD. A bargain price too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good comedies are hard to come by..., September 18, 2005
This review is from: Adventures in Babysitting (DVD)
This is one of those rare gems!

Everyone, I believe, can relate to the craziness that goes on here.... it is just taken to the extreme in this movie.

Elizabeth Shue is fantastic as the babysitter. One of the most memorable lines is when she proclaims... "I'm the babysitter!".

Not to be missed. Enjoyable for everyone. Must see classic and timeless comedy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Blu-ray quality, August 7, 2012
It's hard to understand, but this Blu-ray disk is worse than the DVD. The video is extremely grainy. I compared it to the DVD, which I own, and the DVD is better. I'm sending it back, hoping that I received a bad copy. If not, I'm surprised that Disney (Touchstone) would release such a inferior product. Even the audio was not up to Blu-ray quality. On my surround sound 5.1 system, the video only played in stereo. In addition, there are no "extras" at all. I was hoping for some comments by the excellent actors, or Chris Columbus, the director of the first Harry Potter films. Nothing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Greatest Blu-Ray Video Quality, Not the Worst, August 19, 2012
Please describe the audio and video quality of any Blu-Ray you review. Thanks to those who do this.

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 (completely fills a widescreen)
Length: 1 hour, 37 minutes.
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

I was disappointed in the video quality of this Blu-Ray. It is just not sharp, and has some fine grain in many of the scenes. It is not as bad as some Blu-Rays I've seen, and I don't see it as a rip-off, but I think they could have, and should have, put more effort in getting a higher quality video presentation of this movie.
There have been some Blu-Rays, like the first "Total Recall" edition, and "First Blood", that were so bad that I thought I should have been able to get my money back. I did not feel that way about this Blu-Ray. Granted, the video quality is not great with this Blu-Ray, but I would still call it good, and not unpleasant to watch.

The 5.1 audio was okay, but there just wasn't noticable surround sound. Almost all the sound came from the front and center speakers. I don't remember hearing any sub-woofer bass. But, I had no problems with the sound mix - I had no trouble hearing the voices, and didn't think the background music was too loud. I didn't think they put much effort into the sound, but I thought it was satisfactory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats "Something About Mary" any old day!, February 28, 2000
This review is from: Adventures in Babysitting (DVD)
This movie is so entertaining, it should be in every video/DVD collection. It's a simple story about a babysitter forced to take her charges with her into the city as she hurries to help out a friend. This plausible premise quickly escalates until the babysitter and kids find themselves in situations that James Bond might find daunting. The acting, the music and the appealing plot make the story enjoyable for everybody from kids to parents. I popped the disk into the machine with no great expectations, and could not stop watching until it finished. Other films may use crotch-biting dogs and semen in the hair to substitute shock for hilarity. But Adventures in Babysitting delivers real laughs while taking you on a wild ride through the wicked bowels of the city.

5.0 out of 5 stars "AND THEN HE KISSED ME", February 5, 2001
John Pavouris (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adventures in Babysitting (DVD)
I highly recommend this film. It falls in the category of "Ferris B. Day Off", "Can't Buy Me Love", "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead", "License To Drive" and "Goonies"........just a bunch of kids running around in trouble all the time. When I first saw this film....it was in the late eighties.....I just fell in love with Elisabeth Shue and her performance in "Adventures in Babysitting". Ever since the opening scene when she lip-synched to the song: "AND THEN HE KISSED ME". She plays as a 17 year old (but 23 in real life at the time) getting stuck babysitting for 3 kids when her boyfriend cancels on their date. Her night is filled with adventure facing one obsticle after another trying to get the kids back safe and sound. Filmed on location in Chicago and in Toronto. The famous scene where Elisabeth Shue sings the "BLUES" was in a bar in downtown Toronto called "The Silver Dollar". I've been there myself when I attended the University of Toronto.......today it has closed down. It is a great film and even better yet.....it stars a beautiful, talented actress......Elisabeth Shue.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite movie ever!!!!, November 24, 2004
This review is from: Adventures in Babysitting (DVD)
This has got to be my favorite movie of all time.I've been watching it since I was two and Elizabeth Shue does an amazing job.It has all the elements you could want in a movie.From comedy to adventure,to suspense to romance.You can't find a better movie that everyone can watch together.It is a really good family movie and I have seriously watched it hundreds of times.You can't go wrong with this movie.I promise!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray Review of the movie, August 1, 2013
elChick (with Carmen San Diego) - See all my reviews
First let me say that this review is NOT about the movie itself. This review is about the "25th Anniversary Edition" Blu-ray of the movie. The movie is a classic. I've owned it on DVD for several years and have gotten much use out of it. I was excited to see it was released on Blu-ray, and since I recently upgraded to an HDTV, I was excited to see how it looked on the "big screen."

I'll save you the time of having to read my entire review. In a word, do NOT buy the Blu-ray of this movie. You'll be better off getting the DVD version and having it upscaled by your player for your HDTV.

I don't know WHAT they did to it, but it is a HORRIBLE transfer. The only one that is worse than this from what I have seen in my experience, is the original 1970's Gone in 60 Seconds movie. On that one, I expected very little in the way of a remastered transfer due to it being an old movie produced by a self-funded studio, and that's exactly what I got. I was happy with it, because I wasn't expecting much.

However, for this "Anniversary Edition" (and I lade that phrase with as much sarcasm and disappointment as this keyboard will allow me to slather over those words), I expected something that had been crafted with love and attention. You know, something that would merit the phrase "Anniversary Edition." But no. Instead they decide to bilk us out of more money (see "double-dipping"), and present us with this steaming pile of donkey dung pressed into disc form. I am a fan of non-DNR'd transfers. I don't think that the original film grain should be destroyed. However, whatever they did to this tranfer, they not only kept the grain but ENHANCED it tenfold! I couldn't even finish the movie. I got about 5 minutes in and had to turn it off. I guess their idea of a transfer is to update the fonts on the titles to make the vectors match HD standards. That was about the only thing that I saw that benefitted from the upscaling.

Save your money and buy a DVD version instead. You'll be better off, and will appreciate the movie more.

4.0 out of 5 stars The correct way to sit on a baby, October 2, 2012
Adventures in Babysitting is one of those movies that all of the kids back in the day saw apart from me. No particular reason, I just never got around to it. With the new Blu-ray I figured now would be right time to catch up on what I missed.

It's not a John Hughes movie, but it does have a similar aesthetic and is set in a cold, snowy Chicago (a common Hughes theme), and it's the director debut of Chris Columbus who worked with Hughes on the first two Home Alone movies. Babysitting is quite similar in that is has a bunch of kids/teens getting into all kinds of hi-jinks while evading and outsmarting crooked grown-ups.

Elizabeth Shue plays Chris Parker (no relation to Jennifer Parker from BTTF) a girl who has been stood-up by her sleazeball boyfriend and ends up babysitting for a wealthy couple while they go hob-nobbing in the city. Though content to sit in the house all night she gets a frantic call from her friend Brenda (Penelope Ann Miller) who is trapped in an inner city bus station and needs rescued. Multiple detours and deviations make the rescue no easy task. I guess in this sense the movie feels a little bit like Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

It's all inoffensive and good-natured, though I was surprised to hear a couple of F-bombs in there, and some of the dialogue is a little raunchy. Babysitting is no classic, but has lasting appeal and is a fun ride. Michael Kamen also provides a score which sounds like a Die Hard prototype, lending a little more weight to the adventure than would be typical. Stay watching until after the credits for an extra scene.

The Blu-ray presents the movie in 1.85:1 1080p with DTS HD-MA sound, both are pretty good considering the age and budget limitations of the $7 million production. Disney have some nerve calling this a '25th Anniversary Edition' though, it contains absolutely no extras whatsoever apart from a couple of brief, upfront clips of Paranorman and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. There isn't even any disc art.

Adventures in Babysitting
Adventures in Babysitting by Chris Columbus (DVD - 2000)
$9.99 $4.99