5.0 out of 5 stars Homer Fink
I read this book in 5th or 6th grade after re-reading almost 40 years later, I see why it was tough to read as a kid.

The story is fast paced but the content and style is more suited to a middle school reader.

Published on March 26, 2011 by Denese norris

3.0 out of 5 stars First Book To Suggest Serious Romantic Thought
Published on May 15, 2003 by J. Reynolds

3.0 out of 5 stars First Book To Suggest Serious Romantic Thought, May 15, 2003
J. Reynolds (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adventures of Homer Fink (Hardcover)
I read this when I was 13, in the eighth grade. It wasn't a very enjoyable or riveting story, although I did not reach a point where I simply wanted to drop it. It's about a young teen guy with an eccentric friend named Homer Fink, and they meet a girl their age. The plot involves which one she will choose as her boyfriend. Though Homer was a relatively odd guy, I don't recall any real humor from the story. It was the first work I read that examined romance at a contemporary (my own age) level, and was valuable from that perspective. It made the point that, at that age, one does not genuinely know what love means, regardless of how much a crush you have on someone. To appreciate this book, it has to hit you at the right time in life. It might be constructive for junior high school teachers to read it, and broach the subject of real romance -- affection between two young people -- with their students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Homer Fink, March 26, 2011

The use of Latin is great. The school political process of the story almost mirrors our country's current situation: "Hype over substance"

Read to kids. I researched most of the Latin ahead of the read to ensure I could explain phrases where the book does not provide translation. Children will love the story if they don't get bogged down with the Latin/Roman references so use the internet or a Latin dictionary to help keep it fun and entertaining.

Doing the voice of Homer is like trying to be a stage actor in a Greek or Shakespeare play.

I love the "Leave it to Beaver" family setting, style of boy-girl courtship, 60's soda shop entertainment and good values that outline the lives of the main character(s).

If you are trying to explain the rise of Liberalism to your kids and teach them the warning signs; this book
provides many opportunities.

The copy of the book I purchased was printed on non glare paper in a font perfect for aging eyes.

Mnorris

3.0 out of 5 stars A cute little story, August 12, 2010
E. S. Charpentier (Brainerd, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This is a cute little story about what happens when an absentminded genius is chosen by his classmates to run for school president. Interesting references are made to Greek gods and philosophers, and Homer brings a little 'truth and justice' to his friends.
I feel like if I had read this when I was much younger, I would have enjoyed it more. Also, the author has managed to print some quotations in the original Greek characters and doesn't always translate them.
All in all, though, an enjoyable story for ages 8-13, that though written in 1966, would be understood and enjoyed by more modern readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its great, October 5, 2000
A Kid's Review
It feals as if Homer Fink is everybody you know and more. (He might also teach some of the greek gods)

Adventures of Homer Fink
Adventures of Homer Fink by Sidney Offit (Hardcover - Oct. 1969)
Used & New from: $4.90