4.0 out of 5 stars So, where is the remainder of this fine TV production????
Published on October 19, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, bad DVD
This is one of the better adaptations of Huckleberry Finn I've seen. As a teacher, I have been using clips from the film with our study of the book. It doesn't match perfectly, but it is better than most.
Published on April 9, 2011 by Mark Ailshie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars So, where is the remainder of this fine TV production????, October 19, 2000
By A Customer
I'm giving this video 4 stars although it should have all five because it is by far the very best version of Twain's "Huckleberry Finn" thus far dramatized. UNFORTUNATELY, the powers that be decided NOT to put the ENTIRE 240 minute show on tape so we now have a much (very, very much!) condensed edition of this fine PBS production. Doing this editing does a disservice to Mark Twain's great story, also a disservice to all the fine actors involved, and to the screenwriter who did a remarkable job of making this sprawling book really work as a movie. So, how about bringing out the ENTIRE 240 minute production, let's say on DVD, and maybe with some commentary on Twain, the book, etc. This is really a wonderful production and deserves a better chance on video! DVD the entire show. I'd be willing to pay for it and I'm sure others who are familiar with this production would also purchase it. This is the ONLY movie of "Huckleberry Finn" that comes even close to the book's style and feeling (for example, NO cutesy stuff, NO dumb and misplaced songs), just straightforward storytelling, excellent acting and well done from start to finish. Again, DVD please, and please: the WHOLE 240 minutes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Indeed - the best version of Huck Finn so far, May 23, 2001
T. W. Fuller (Wheeling, IL. USA) - See all my reviews
Of all the many movie versions of "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", this PBS adaptation is the best. It remains true to Twain's story, though does not incorporate the entire book, for time constraint I suppose. However, enough of the book has been adapted to give the viewer a very good idea of what the book is all about. Patrick Day is by far the best of all the Huck Finn's I have seen, thus far. The actor who portrays Jim is outstanding; as is the acting from the Duke and the King. Also, the scenery is breathtaking. It is truly a joy to watch this movie version of Huck Finn, though apparantly it has been edited, and some of it has been taken out. If you can, buy the version that has the complete four hours - I gauruntee you will not be sorry. I strongly recommend this movie for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not enough stars, April 8, 2007
This review is from: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (DVD)
This is by far the best version of Huckleberry Finn. I've tried for the past 5 months to find this in DVD format in it's 214 minute glory, and finally have found it from Monterey Media. This version holds true to the book in it's unedited version and surpasses any other Huck Finn version in existance. I wish that the now defunct American Playhouse would have made Tom Sawyer to compliment this video. Maybe one day someone will.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is all of it, March 7, 2010
This review is from: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (DVD)
When this ran on PBS in 1985, I video taped the entire broadcast over four nights. Essentially, the only differences between the 240 minute version and the 213 minute version, are station breaks with members
of the cast making appearances asking for financial support for local PBS stations, and beginning and ending credits. The 213 minutes on this DVD is the full dramatic performance. I suspect it would, if
rated, probably be PG . No, it is not suitable as entertainment for preteens, but then neither is Twain's novel. What it is, however, is a magnificent piece of cinematic art, which, coincidentally, happens to follow Twain's story quite faithfully.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adventures of Huck Finn, March 21, 2007
This review is from: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (DVD)
Content of this film is better than any other Huck Finn version. Aside from just a few scenes, the film is really true to the original text novel. The only thing that is a pain is that the dvd has no chapter or scene separations. Showing it to high school classes is difficult due to the constant rewinding and fast forwarding to find where we left off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, August 25, 2008
This review is from: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (DVD)
How I missed this in 1985, I'll never know! It was a TV miniseries, filmed in Kentucky and shown on PBS. A shortened version was aired on a cable channel recently and I caught the last half of it, checked the Internet and was amazed to find it available in its full length on DVD.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, this is the only film version of Mark Twain's classic that is true to the book, and it requires the production's full 3 hours and 33 minutes to accomplish this admirable task. The actors were well chosen, with the possible exception of Tom Sawyer, who didn't seen "right" to me. Never mind, he's only a bit player in Huck's story, and the rest of the principals do a fine job. Patrick Day is especially appealing in the title role. All the background, the land and water, the buildings, boats, and townspeople are exactly as you've seen them in your mind's eye when you read the book. I was amazed by this movie's completeness and its fidelity to Twain's work.

If you have seen this production on TV you'll find this DVD quite acceptable though not real sharp. I noticed some grain in dark areas and a bit of edge ghosting in a few contrasty scenes. The aspect ratio is standard TV, 1.33:1. The sound is fine, although I had to turn my set's volume up.

There is so much to see and discover in this masterpiece, I'm sure that I'll watch it again and again and find something new to delight me every time. I could not recommend it more enthusiastically. All other versions of Huckleberry Finn pale to the ridiculous by comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best so far! But my second favorite., April 13, 2001
Monty Moonlight (Austin, TX, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My favorite version of Huck Finn will probably always be the Elijah Wood version. It took the original story and sped it up. It's non-stop adventure, with everything else you want from the story included as well. This version however, is not far behind while at the same time being very true to the book. Now the version you see here is the one I saw, I rented it just last night. But there is a version twice as long that is also available here on Amazon. The price is ridiculous since it is NOT a DVD, but rather two tapes, but I want it anyway! I can only assume that it includes everything this one left out, though this version is still fine in a pinch! Even with half of it's running time cut out it's the second best version of Huck Finn I've seen! The casting is great! Only exception is Tom. I mean, he wasn't bad, but didn't look quite as roguish as you'd expect. For a great Tom see Rascals and Robbers. Some of the acting is a little odd, and some is great! And I have to comment on the kid who plays Huck, a grown man by now I'm sure. He's the PERFECT Huck, and would have also played a perfect Young Indiana Jones had he had the chance! I mean he has the look and the act. There's one seen where you totally see his Harrison Fordishness come out at the end as he snaps at Tom and breaks down a door to free Jim! You fellow Tom and Huck fans, be sure to get this one, the long version if you can afford it, and remember to look for what I said, his extreme Indiana Jonesishness. Indy fans like me, though we loved Flannery's Indy, will weep at the fact that this kid didn't have his turn at the hat!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, bad DVD, April 9, 2011
This review is from: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (DVD)
The main problem is the quality of the DVD. I have never seen a DVD with less features. There is no menu screen, no scene selection screen, and the chapters are divided in strange places - often in the middle of a scene or even in the middle of a speech! Four hours is an awful lot to fast forward through, and that's usually what I needed to do until I was familiar enough with the film to know where the scenes I needed were

4.0 out of 5 stars Huck Finn, February 10, 2009
This review is from: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (DVD)
The DVD was a great addition to the book. I teach Special Education at the high school level.We read the book and I was looking for a DVD that was as close to the actual text as possible (some things were omitted for time). This DVD did not let me down. Be warned the language may offend some, but it is true to the book. The actors portrayal of the characters was done well. I would recommend this DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars It ain't right! You stealin' yourself like that, Jim!, April 2, 2002
After watching the Ken Burn's documentary on Mark Twain's life, I looked forward with much anticipation to seeing this film. It was supposed to be a great social commentary about slavery and on the conflict between the Constitution and the reality of slavery. It was supposed to be a kind of mental journey that the viewer took by following the simple logic of a boy, who represented the ideas about black people from that time. And while the movie does repeat all the right lines, "Well, then, I'll go to hell" it doesn't do so with as much power as Ken Burns narrator did. It doesn't set up the real and present tension -- the level of religious faith at that time and just what Huck meant -- how powerfully people of that day feared doing what was wrong and how Huck was meant to really feel it was wrong to help Jim escape.
The power of the soul-searching aspect of the book is really hard to capture on film. It's a good film, as it goes, but I had hoped for something explosive.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Peter H. Hunt (DVD - 2007)
$24.95 $17.89