4.0 out of 5 stars Great Concert (Ruined by Clumsy Production)
Published on April 15, 2008 by Y. Park

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD falls short of the Real Thing
Published on December 14, 2007 by Shantelle Maxwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Concert (Ruined by Clumsy Production), April 15, 2008
I've been a big fan of Mariah and own almost all of her video albums. This is by far, I believe, the most vivid live concert video available shot in widescreen and in HD. The concert is very entertaining and enjoyable. I watched it twice in a row as soon as I inserted this blu-ray. Mariah performs very well with all her great voice. To be honest, I expected she would have hard time singing songs with high notes because of her aging but I was wrong. In the concert, she proves she still can sing as before! I felt the concert was rather short even though it was 80 minutes long. I mean I wanted more! She could have sung more songs such as "Without You", "Emotions", "Love Takes Time", etc. It was great to see Boyz II Men and Mariah sing "One Sweet Day" together. Of course, Trey Lorenz, one of the back vocals of the concert, sings his part for "I'll Be There". Mariah, keep up the good work with your beautiful smile!

The concert itself deserves five stars but I have to take one off because of the clumsy production. Spotligting is not very accurate but most of all, camera work is, I would say, horrible! Firstly, you will see too much of audience shots in the latter part of the show. For example, when MC sings "Hero", almost half of the shots are done with audience. You will even remember some people in the audience after watching because of repetitious and long-staying zoom-ins. Who cares about audience that much? Who wants to miss the main performer instead? Secondly, there are many cases that a camera misses the hightlight of a song and the performer failing enhancing the mood of the song. For example, when MC sings with such high notes covering her ear (you know what I mean), the camera suddenly zoom out and shows the whole arena or people instead. In addition, there are some blurry/unfocused and pointless shots. So, I'm sure that the concert would have been much more enjoyable with a better production.

Technically, PQ is 4.5/5 (VC-1 coding) IMO and AQ is 5/5 with uncompressed PCM 5.1/2.0. Extras are good: I liked the Karaoke especially.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 ˝ stars - Excellent concert., December 9, 2007
This review is from: Adventures of Mimi Exclusive 2 DVD Set (DVD)
During the Glitter and Charmbracelet eras, a comeback from Mariah Carey seemed impossible to some. Her popularity, her quality of material, and even her voice appeared to be degrading at a painfully rapid rate. Even I, an avid fan of the songbird, began to think that she was on her way out of the music business. In early 2005, "It's Like That" was released, and although it was a nice track and the fans enjoyed it, it still wasn't making any big moves on the charts to make anyone think this new upcoming album would perform any differently than the past two. Then, out of nowhere came the mega-hit, "We Belong Together," and the rest was history. The Emancipation of Mimi went on to be certified six times platinum by the RIAA, making it the best selling album of 2005. At the 2006 Grammy Awards, it was named the best contemporary R&B album of the year. The album also gave Carey two more #1 singles to boast. This tour, which is her most successful one yet, topped it all off.

I actually was fortunate enough to see this tour in my area, and I must say that this DVD does an excellent job of capturing the magic of her performance. The set is nice, as is the lighting. The concert was recorded in HD and is in surround sound, so obviously I have no complaints in that area. (The only problem I really have with the way it was shot is that I really didn't care to see the fans in the crowd and also, I wish the camera weren't always so close up to Mariah. I would've liked to have seen more full shots of the stage with everything going on at once a few times throughout the presentation.) The background vocalists, in my opinion, were superb and they really did an amazing job. The dancers seemed to be quite talented, but at most times, the choreography was a little lame and unexciting to me. But to be completely honest, I don't really look to the dancers to give me thrills during a concert: my eyes are always on the star of the show.

Throughout the entire show, Mariah proves that she is back and here to stay. The voice, which some critics claimed was withering away to a mere whimper, is just as strong and bold as her early days. The high notes are still there, as is her soulful belting. And she really is singing live! She has astounding charisma and energy, and to top it all off, she looks better than ever.

Choosing the setlist must have been an extremely difficult task; Mariah has been active in the music business for the last 17 or 18 years. She has had many hit singles and also many great album tracks that have become fan favorites. Well, all I can say is that it was chosen perfectly. It has some stuff for all the new fans that she gained with this new album, but it is also faithful to the fans that have been there since day one. Most of her studio albums are represented with at least one song. All of the songs are pretty much performed in their entirety. (It really annoys me when artists do little one-and-a-half-minute versions of their songs, trying to cram everything in.) What I also liked was how she slipped in little pieces of some of her remixes into the performances. It was cool how she sang part of "Dream Lover" over the instrumental of Biggie's "Juicy." The powerful performance of "Fly Like A Bird" was worth the price of this set alone for me.

Aside from the concert, this also has some special features. The first disc has a behind-the-scenes feature, which are always fun to watch at least once. It also contains a jukebox feature that allows you to arrange and play your own setlist. (Mine: "Fly Like A Bird," ten times in a row.) I think the idea is quite ingenious. The second disc has a tour documentary, with interviews from all parties involved, speaking on the setlist, set design, dancers, etc. I always find these things interesting because it really takes an incredible amount of work to put a tour of this magnitude together, and it's always nice to hear Mariah speak. Also, a few, but not all, of the concert's songs are here in karaoke form so you can sing along. Last, a Spike-Lee directed short, Lovers and Haters, is included. It's Mariah's way of responding to--and laughing at--all the rumors that "haters" have created about her over the years. I don't really think this set needed to be two discs. I'm sure all the special features would've fit on one DVD, but I still enjoyed them all.

This tour documents an amazing performer who has once again returned to her prime. Overall, this is a great, entertaining, and worthwhile DVD set. If you are a Mariah fan, then this is for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD falls short of the Real Thing, December 14, 2007
This review is from: Adventures of Mimi Exclusive 2 DVD Set (DVD)
I am one of Mariah Carey's biggest fans. I've been a fan of hers ever since "Vision of Love" debuted in 1989/1990, and I've been a member of her official fan club for six years. I've seen Mariah four times in concert and have met her twice. I, too, was at the Adventures of Mimi concert that was taped for this DVD, and I can say that it does not depict the actual concert. The roller coaster introduction, which sets the concert into motion, was heavily edited and great quotations were cut out. The DVD goes from song to song and never really shows you all of the interaction Mariah had with the audience. Many things were cut out, actually, the best parts were cut out, making this DVD almost painful to watch. In all honesty, if I had the option I would return it. I love Mariah Carey to death, but I cannot recommend this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CONCERT!!!!, November 6, 2007
This review is from: Adventures of Mimi Exclusive 2 DVD Set (DVD)
I was at the 1st Adventures of Mimi concert she did in the U.S., which was in Miami, FL. I believe it was the only concert where she performed "Breakdown." I was disappointed however, that she did not sing "Vision of Love" but it was still a great concert nontheless. The place was PACKED and the crowd was crazy over her. I enjoyed it so much, it definitely was a memory to cherish. I even purchased the limited edition canvas art they were selling, for almost $500, thats how much I love Mimi! I can't wait till her new album comes out in Feb, and I will definitely be in attendance at her next concert! BUY THE DVD YOU WILL LOVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 7, 2007
This review is from: Adventures of Mimi Exclusive 2 DVD Set (DVD)
The most anticipated DVD is almost here. I did not think the record company would release the concert in digital video disc. However, I am glad that they made a wise choice. I saw the preview on Mariahdaily dot com, and I felt in love with it ever since. A++

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Awesome Concert Ever!!!!, November 6, 2007
Nicholas Baca (Bakersfield, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adventures of Mimi Exclusive 2 DVD Set (DVD)
I was actually at this concert in the seventh row...look for the little mexican guy in the red t-shirt dancing like a complete fool...LOL. This was my third time getting to see Mariah in concert...I also loved that Trey Lorenz and Boys II Men where both there live...that was awesome. If you are a Mariah fan you should definately buy this DVD...I know I am!!! Totally can't wait...woohoo!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Dvd of Mariah ever, November 5, 2007
This review is from: Adventures of Mimi Exclusive 2 DVD Set (DVD)
I got to see Mariah performing in Calgary. This one live in Anaheim concert has a 19 hits of full setlist with no cuts.
1. Opening Video
2. It's Like That
3. Heartbreaker (Remix/Album version)
4. Dreamlover (Album version/Remix)
5. My All (Album version/Remix)
6. Shake It Off
7. Vision Of Love
8. Fly Like A Bird
9. I'll Be There (with Trey Lorenz)
10. Fantasy (O.D.B. Remix)
11. Don't Forget About Us
12. Always Be My Baby
13. Honey
14. I Wish You Knew (snippets)
15. Can't Let Go
16. One Sweet Day (with Boyz II Men)
17. Hero
18. Make It Happen
19. We Belong Together
20. Butterfly Reprise

I just hope that next time that Mariah should sing more of her new songs instead of the old ones..

5.0 out of 5 stars Best MC Concert Yet!, November 18, 2007
Danielle Turchiano (Van Nuys, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adventures of Mimi Exclusive 2 DVD Set (DVD)
I was lucky enough to be at the taping for this concert DVD, in Anaheim CA, and I am happily awaiting December 4th, when it will be released in the US so I can relive the night. Mariah not only sang her hits of "The Emancipation of Mimi," but she performed some of her classics, too, including her duet with Boyz 2 Men (who stopped by to sing with her!). The DVD will be complete with extras, including the Spike Lee short film "Lovers & Haters" starring Mariah as a version of herself and Maya Gilbert (from "I Wanna Be A Soap Star" / "General Hospital" fame).

It's been years since Mariah has released one of her concerts on DVD, so this is a must-see for all fans, as it is the only place to get some of these songs live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous Mariah, May 10, 2008
I recently purchased a Yahama high wattage Hdmi amplifier, Samsung Blu-ray disk player with compatible Jbl speaker system, to match my HdTv and I thought this Mariah Carey Blu-ray disk would be the perfect opportunity to test this system, indeed it was. First of all, it is recorded without a flaw and the sound took my new system beyond expectations. If you are a Mariah Carey fan, don't let this Dvd slip by. As usual she is nothing short of fabulous and beautiful. Great Live Show!! She sings all of her big hits. Worth every dime, just what you would expect from the #1 best seller.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Adventures Of Mimi - Pretty Good, but Needs Some Changes, December 22, 2007
This review is from: Adventures of Mimi Exclusive 2 DVD Set (DVD)
I have been a huge Mariah fan since she made Vision Of Love. She has a dynamic voice, but she is kind of narcissistic. This tour was not bad, however there needed to be a few changes. Here's the setlist
1. Intro - Rollercoaster
2. It's Like That - pretty good song, but what's up with the costume? I just thought it was a little too much and revealing.
3. Heartbreaker (Remix)/Original Version - Not my favorite song, Mariah I love you, but stop trying to dance.
4. Dreamlover - one of my favorite songs, but in the second verse she sings this remix that I'm really not crazy about.
5. My All/Morales Club Mix - love it!! My All has been one of my favorite songs for a while and I love how she adds the Morales Club Mix which is another of my favorite dance remixes.
6. Shake It Off - I liked the performance! She uses the Mimi lights just like the music video.
7. Vision Of Love - I'm so glad she performed this. Not a big fan of the dress, but I loved the vocals.
8. Fly Like A Bird - She bought it home with this one! I liked how she added a choir.
9. I'll Be There (feat Trey Lorenz) - very good. Reminded me of the MTV Unplugged version.
10. Fantasy (Remix) - pretty good. I like the remixed version better than the original. For this section, she sang on the B stage instead of the A stage.
11. Don't Forget About Us - not a big fan of this song, but the crowd seems to disagree with me.
12. Always Be My Baby - love this song! Reminds me of a summer night.
13. Honey - one of my favorite tracks from Butterfly(Mariah, please stop trying to dance!!!).
14. I Wish You Knew - she doesn't perform the entire song. Just the last chorus. Pretty upsetting because it's one of my favorites from Emancipation.
15. Can't Let Go - another one of my favorites, but she only performed the chorus :(
16. One Sweet Day - powerhouse!! Boyz 2 Men performed with her and it's such an emotional song. That's why I loved it!
17. Hero - another emotional song! I was pretty surprised when Mariah said that in the beginning, it wasn't her favorite.
18. Make It Happen - My jam!! She also bought it home establishing the choir. I was very pleased that she performed this song!
19. We Belong Together/Butterfly Reprise - I grew accustomed to this song because at first I hated it. Then after hearing it a couple of times, I liked it. Interesting song to close the show.
Overall, this DVD is decent. However, I would've changed some things:
1. the costumes were a little too skimpy and over the top.
2. The concert was way too short. Usually, concerts last about an hour and thirty minutes to two hours. This one was an hour and ten minutes I believe.
3. The DVD left out DJ Clue's spin breaks during Mariah's costume changes.
Other than that, it was a pretty good tour.

Adventures of Mimi Exclusive 2 DVD Set
Adventures of Mimi Exclusive 2 DVD Set by Sanaa Hamri (DVD - 2007)
$42.99 $6.55