5.0 out of 5 stars Nice History Lesson
A little bit about motorcycles and a lot about the Great War. Entertaining and a great read when you're tired of fiction.
Published on May 28, 2011 by PA32Pilot

Published 12 months ago by Leavon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice History Lesson, May 28, 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars WW1 Through the Eyes of an Extrordinary Young Man, June 23, 2011
J. Jordan (Chicagoland, IL USA) - See all my reviews
The memoirs of Captain William Watson, written in 1915, of his days as a corporal with the Royal Engineers as a motorcycle dispatch rider during World War I. His journey through Ireland and France is fraught with close encounters with enemy fire and the aftermath of battle, combined with extreme boredom, shattered nerves, cold, wet, loneliness, and hunger. The last two feature so prominently in his experiences that he often rhapsodizes about his meals and female companionship when he gets them (describing one particular stew as "epic").

He's by turns wry, witty, unflinchingly honest, and quietly brave. "It is a diabolical joke of the Comic imps to put fog upon a greasy road for the confusion of a despatch rider." I enjoyed getting to know him through what he chose to write about, and, while the geography was sometimes hard to keep track of, I learned a lot about the day-to-day life of an ordinary guy in the War.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading!, May 19, 2011
I began this book, and while it isn't easy to follow, not knowing the geography covered by the "allies" in WWI, it is still a book that continues to hold my interest. I can imagine my being there, trying to overcome all the obstacles of a Motorcycle Messenger, working just feet and miles from the enemies to carry messages from Headquarters to the military leaders. How different from today! I encourage a read to all who enjoy a good book, one you have to "sink your teeth into", not a fast read but a great read! I'm almost half finished, and can't wait to see what the next chapters hold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventures of a Motorcycle Despatch Rider During the First World War, December 28, 2012
Adventures of a Motorcycle Despatch Ryder During the First World Ware is a great story of the British special branch of the army.

5.0 out of 5 stars would you ride a primitive motorbike accross the Somme under fire, these guys did and more., September 7, 2014
Its a special person who will ride a primitive motorbike across the WW1 landscape.
A very good read both tragic and funny, an incite to the soldiers and support staff in this conflict.
We hear of the soldiers and the airmen but of the men who were the messengers that helped to try and keep it instep then this is the book for you.
Its a necessary addition to any WW1 collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy way to absorb history, April 11, 2014
Good stories of WW1 in France as a dispatch rider progresses from boyhood to manhood, lucky in his travels and very engaging with the people he meets along the way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story about a very little known kind of military service during World War One., December 15, 2013
Leavon (Cañon City, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I chose to read this book because of stories I heard about my uncle who actually was a Motorcycle Dispatch Ricer during World War 1. I wondered if this was anything like the stories I heard, and many things were similar. I think I appreciated the author's story more because of that, and would recommend this to anyone who might be interested in the things the riders went through as they were out there by themselves with very little, if any, cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight into the world of a motorcycle rider during the Great War., November 22, 2013
Grant McDuling (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
I found this to be one of the best books on WW1, from someone who was there. And being a fan of classic motorcycles, I found it to be fascinating. Every biker should read it.

2.0 out of 5 stars WWI motorcycle rider, November 10, 2013
This was an okay book. It just wasn't what I has expected from the book. Could have been written with a little more personal character

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating "I was there" account, October 28, 2013
This review is from: Adventures of a Motorcycle Despatch Rider During the First World War (Paperback)
A young university student volunteers for motorcycle dispatch assignment at the start of WWI.

I picked up this book free during an Amazon giveaway. Probably only to be enjoyed by history buffs, but I found it fascinating. Watson recounts his experiences honestly and openly, including the confusion and waste of battle. It only covers the first few months of the war. Not particularly well-organized but clearly written, with very few typos.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Adventures of a Motorcycle Despatch Rider During the First World War
Adventures of a Motorcycle Despatch Rider During the First World War by W.H.L. Watson (Paperback - January 12, 2006)
Used & New from: $68.50