Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: HardcoverChange

on October 26, 2001
The first thing I have to say is that this book is the most extraordinary book I have ever read. I began reading these books as a very young child. I am now 25 and it has left a wonderful impression on my soul. As a young child I was so amazed at Pippi's spunk and ability to do things on her own free will. It wasn't until I was older that I was able to reflect on her influence on my life. Pippi shows children the value of self esteem and the power to do anything once you set your mind to it. Pippi never cares what people think of her and speaks her mind adamently. She is so loved by everyone that the effect of her quirky personality is above everything you could imagine. There are so many "lessons" in her stories that are hidden in little bits and pieces. I fiercly believe that Pippi allowed me, as a child, to open up to my imagination and become a strong individual. As I said, I am now in my twenties and am scavaging all her books in hopes of showing my "future" children the delights of her incredible behavior. I HIGHLY suggest these books to adolescents-you wouldn't believe the magic enclosed. Pippi did to me what Harry Potter is doing to the world now. Harry, unfortunately is just a little late.
on May 18, 2004
Pippi Longstocking is a lot of things. She plays with sparklers, she plays with guns, she resists arrest, flaunts her supernatural power, manhandles bothersome adults, insults them and disregards them as silly. She's self-important, arrogant, callous, rude, undignified, and absolutely perfect.
Maybe the former LEADS to the latter, because I can't think of any other way she could be all of those things so perfectly. Pippi is the kind of character who, although she seems so terribly foolish, is somehow always right. Pippi is, in that respect, to elementary school children what Superman is to the people of metropolis. She so totally represents everything they hold dear that she can't help but become their champion, despite, or perhaps because of the fact that she's a universal "bad girl."
This book contains every one of her "popularly-recognized" adventures, with new illustrations by some fellow who's really good at drawing pictures of Pippi and her friends. The pictures are slick and cartoon-like in keeping with the sometimes-wacky-but-always-credible-somehow escapades of the girl wonder. Pippi owns an old, run-down villa and a horse and monkey. She keeps her horse on the porch, and her monkey on her shoulder when she goes for a walk. But the strangest thing in the house is Pippi herself, whose resources consist of a seemingly endless supply of gold, a vast collection of rare trinkets, and an endless supply of youthful energy and superhuman strength, probably equal to the task of lifting a small steamroller. She also possesses great durability and the seeming ability to leap great distances with enormous speed. Her skills in seemingly all tests of acrobatics and hand-eye coordination are top-knotch. In short, she was a self-insertion character before there was such a thing.
However, with Pippi, it works, because rather than pretend that she's up against some terrible foe or trying to add tension to the story, Pippi lives her life almost strictly for the humor and fun of it. Anything that keeps people from having fun is something Pippi will generally try to plow right through.
Pippi has the ultimate secret. She knows how to have fun, and if wisdom comes from the mouths of babes, than Pippi is indeed, faults and all, the wisest person who has ever lived.
As a closing note, I'm probably not the only person who hopes that Pippi's "Chililug" pills are real immortality medication, because that would mean that she is still around, and still having fun somewhere.
VINE VOICEon January 29, 2002
I have loved Pippi since I was 7. Bright, high spirited and wonderfully creative and original, the red haired moppet literally shakes up the Swedish village she lives in. Blessed with incredible physical strength, Pippi lives alone and fends for herself. Indeed, her strength comes in handy when she throws would be robbers into the air like pizza dough. That part still makes me laugh!
She is a delightful, independent foil to her more timorous peers, siblings Tommy and Annika. When they invite Pippi to their school, she dazzles all with her creative, hit or miss spelling, her misprounciation of "multiplication" (she insists on calling it "plutification") and her wild stories. Indeed, Pippi has had her share of adventures. Her seafaring father travels the 7 seas, often leaving Pippi to her own devices. It is a good thing others are invited to travel along with Pippi!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2001
I grew up in a rural environment and each summer I waited for the weekly visits of our local bookmobile. I can't tell you how many times I checked out "Pippi Longstocking", but my mother worried that I would take root under the maple tree in our front yard, my favorite reading spot. I am now 47 years old and have recently finished Sena Jeter Naslund's "Ahab's Wife"--a brilliant companion to Melville's "Moby Dick"--and who should come to mind but my old friend Pippi.
My recommendation: Give this book to your children, especially to girls...let them grow up to be sailors, firefighters, dancers, mothers and fathers...whatever their souls dream of. We all need a little bit of Pippi these days.
on December 30, 2000
These books (this hardcover edition is actually the three original books in one!) were some of my favorites when I was a child. I first encountered Pippi when my grandma took us girls to the movies to see the original film (starring Inger Nilsson - VERY hard to find!). Despite the painfully bad special effects and overdubbing from Swedish to English, I was enchanted by the story...naturally had to run out to the library and check out all the books! The "Pippi Longstocking" books transcend time - children today can still enjoy them. Only the finest children's books (Walter Farley's, Laura Ingalls Wilder's and Margurite Henry's come immediately to mind) can continue to captivate today's jaded youngsters.
I was fortunate enough to come across a copy of "The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking" as a Christmas present for my 9 year old niece. It's wonderful to see her enjoying Pippi's adventures with Tommy, Annika, Mr. Nilsson, and the rest of the characters as much as I did (more years ago than I wish to remember!)
on August 9, 2008
When my Danish sister-in-law gave my four-year-old daughter Pippi Longstocking, I was shocked. My daughter did not like to read, and giving a four-year-old a chapter book seemed ambitious even for a child who adored books.

What I discovered is that my daughter did not like to read because I had been choosing for her the wrong stories. At four, she was ready for more ambitious reading, yet I was still offering her picture books.

My daughter loves reading now. She adores Pippi. The trilogy is perfect children's literature.
on February 7, 2003
My mother read this story to me some 40 years ago. I remember the character vividly as if it was yesterday. It has become one of the all time favorites of children that I have had the pleasure to reading to over the years... Pippi was never afraid no matter what, looked for the best in everyone she meet (and got it) and had problems that she solved, often uniquely. All important lessons for children.
on August 9, 2005
This is a great, well-made and glossy volume of all three books in one! With caricatured illustrations, this is a fine addition for any book collector or family!
on September 8, 2005
It was very empowering for me as a child to read Pippi's adventures. Her independence, common sense, strength, resourcefulness, and compassion were a tremendous inspiration to me and continue to be very commendable qualities. I don't believe much was lost in the translation of these books because the storytelling flows superbly and is exciting, engaging, and enduring. As a youngster, my favorite elements of these stories included Pippi's hoard of gold, pet horse, physical strength, fantastic adventures, and red hair. As an adult, I am drawn to the heroine's wisdom and goodness of spirit. For adults who read Pippi as a child, I recommend a revisit to her world for a fresh view of her character as well as delightful reminiscing. This is terrific reading for all ages both girls and boys.

J.H. Sweet, author of The Fairy Chronicles
on April 27, 1998
Review of Pippi Longstocking
Pippi Longstocking has no family to look after her, but she's not alone. She lives in a big house, with her horse and a monkey, and has other friends, both human and animal, to play with. She's an unusual child. She's very unruly, but has a giving nature and enjoys giving things to her friends. She has great strength, both inside and out. As a character she's remarkable, strong in body, mind, and spirit. She has a cheerful disposition and likes things to be fair. Since she's lived alone for a time, she doesn't always know how to behave around adults, which gets her into trouble, most of the time without her intention. If you like reading about children's adventures, this is the book for you!!!