ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Kids Halloween

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 15, 2011
This review applies specifically to the April 2010, Sterling Edition, illustrated by Robert Ingpen:
I'm beginning to feel quite frustrated with the limited publishing information given to books on Amazon. For example, most books where you may click to "look inside" will default to the most common paperback. For books like Tom Sawyer, that is fine if you need the book for high school English class, where any copy cheap enough to write notes in the margins will do. I wanted a copy of Tom Sawyer to keep and love. I saw this publication on Amazon, but it had so little info and the one review given was a single sentence about the general value of Twain's story. The truth is, one doesn't buy this particular printing unless one is already convinced of it's literary excellency! So I am about to do Amazon a huge favor by telling you what it didn't tell me. For about $15, the asking price at the time of this review, you can invest in a real treat for your self or someone you love and wish to inspire.
This printing was meant to mark the one hundredth anniversary of Twain's death (2010). The story is unabridged, provided in full original text. It is positively rich with watercolor illustrations by Robert Ingpen. I just skimmed through the book looking for one that I especially liked, but I couldn't pick just one. In design, they are exactly as I would have dreamed them to be. Barefoot Tom, balancing a piece of straw on his nose, Huck Finn with a dead cat, Tom and puppy in church, Injun Joe- terrifying....each one pulls me in to read the text. The fabulous, wrapping cover art is also printed at the end of the book, so won't be lost if the dust jacket is damaged. The sewn binding is well constructed and the book lays nearly flat when open, so you may enjoy all of the pictures and layout without damaging the book. The inclusion of a pale blue place marking ribbon is a lovely touch. There is a thoughtful biography of Mark Twain proceeding the story. Also, provided are the author's and illustrators notes.
I have a boy, six going on seven. He is a reader and is happy to consume Magic Tree House and Box Car Children books at alarming speed under the covers at night when he is supposed to be asleep. I'll admit I was missing our former habit of reading together. So we read classics aloud together as a family. For less money than a video game this book will provide hours of family entertainment. I hope my son will be inspired to read it again and again. It will have a place in our library and be a reference for years to come. It is heirloom quality. It would make a very special gift to a favorite boy of any age. In fact, I am considering getting another copy for my father, who loves Twain.
Incidentally, not being able to ascertain the quality of this book through the Amazon web site, I went to a little local bookstore where I could put my hands on it first. I ended up buying it there, paying full price- about $5 more than Amazon was asking. They wrapped the book for free in nice heavy paper and since there was no shipping- I think I came out better for it. Before my son had opened this package, he knew it was a book to be awed by. Awesome it is- mostly for Mark Twains' masterful kntting of prose, but also for the cover and publishing.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2011
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer: Unabridged and IllustratedThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer that I bought from is a paperback Piccadilly Classics (Unabridged and Illustrated) edition, written by Mark Twain (Samuel Langborne Clemens) and illustrated by T. Williams, and published by Piccadilly Books, Ltd. copyright 2010.

I am VERY pleased with this edition's keeping to the Mark Twain's original manuscript and the use of (from my understanding...and by the looks of it) wonderfully-used original illustrations. I mean, really, the size of the book, typeface and insertion of the illustrations are artfully done and flow very nicely.

The thing that makes me sick about this book, is that it is less than 1-month old and falling apart DURING my first reading of it. Such a fun, beautiful and timeless book deserves to be printed accordingly. A classic deserves a matching binding and cover quality that will withstand numerous generations of readers effortlessly.

Specific problems I have had with my copy include: (1) The pages are bound together unevenly. I had a mind just to send the book back to amazon when I saw this flaw, because I knew they would right the problem immediately. My kids saw some of the illustrations and cover, however, and were so ready for me to read it NOW, that I kept it and decided it would just be an imperfect addition to our library. But more imperfections promptly presented themselves. (2) Because of the uneven binding job, the cover tore at the bottom where there are no pages to hold it up (the unevenly bound pages "slant" to full starting at the front cover back). (3) The cheaply-laminated cover has ALREADY started curling apart at both corners (front and back), and in the middle (front and back), where I hold the book to read it.

This edition was unfortunately not available in hardcover. I would LOVE a hardcover, quality copy of this specific edition!
on October 24, 2012
Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn certainly rank among the very finest fiction in the American literary canon. Only fools would suggest otherwise. Unfortunately, other fools have censored both books. This is an obscenity. Do these morons actually think that they need to protect the reading public from ideas that were the cultural norm 175 years ago? What unmitigated, insufferable, ignominious gall. Thankfully, Amazon can still provide us with the original versions of these brilliant books. The suggestion that reading Twain in his original prose somehow endangers the public good is both specious and ridiculous. So, then, if we read Lolita will we become pedophiles? If we read Pound will we become fascists? If we read Portnoy's Complaint will we masturbate constantly? The exquisite sensitivity of some groups within our society says more about their determined unwillingness to embrace the freedom and democracy they enjoy than anything else. To hell with them. Buy these wonderful books and read them guilt-free.
on November 14, 2010
"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" is a true classic. I loved the abridged version as a child and decided to read it in the original form as an adult.

It is a lively, charming and light-hearted story about a rebellious young boy (his age is never stated), who thrives on playing hilarious pranks and is constantly getting in trouble for disorderly conduct of the most original kind. Under it all though he has a good and generous heart.

Huckleberry Finn is introduced as a dirt-poor, uneducated and disreputable boy whose mother has died and whose drunkard father has abandoned him. An instantly endearing character to the reader, he is nevertheless shunned by the adults of "civilized" society, who warn their children to stay away from him because "he was idle and lawless and vulgar and bad". Tom, like the rest of the respectable boys is under strict orders not to play with him.

Not surprisingly, Tom "played with him every time he got a chance."

Thus begins a deep and enduring friendship that remains the central theme for the rest of the book.

The book is part memoir and part social critique against prevailing attitudes and hypocrisies, but mostly it is a witty and charming story jumping blithely from one adventure to the next, and told in deceptively simple but deftly crafted language. Therefore it is thoroughly enjoyable, even when the subject matter is inconsequential. I loved his description of a rather one-sided contest between a poodle and a "pinch bug" in the middle of a chruch service - it is a minor event in the book, but absolutely hilarious and a joy to read and re-read. It is quintessential Mark Twain writing at the pinnacle of his wit and style. An excerpt: "Presently a vagrant poodle dog came idling along, sad at heart, lazy with the summer softness and the quiet, weary of captivity, sighing for change. He spied the beetle; the drooping tail lifted and wagged..."

No wonder this book has remained a favorite for generations. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2011
Both this book and the Unabridged Huckleberry Finn suffer
same problem in that they are not formatted properly for
Kindle. You don't see proper paragraphs, it was set up
for a
page with a wider margin and the line breaks are hard
so what you get is an entire book broken up just like
you see here.

Which is very annoying to read. I tried changing the
sizes as well as the line spacing and the page orientation
but was
unable to get the pages to view properly. I called Amazon
Customer Service about this since it isn't just a few typos
but the
entire book that is this way & told them I wanted a refund,
they said they would do but I still haven't gotten that
email from them yet. Yeah, it's only a dollar but it is more
the principle of the matter, doesn't anyone proof these
they go on sale? Apparently no one bothered to look at
two books on a Kindle.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Tom Sawyer is one of the most endearing characters in American fiction. This wonderful book deals with all the challenges that any young person faces, and resolves them in exciting and unusual ways.
Like many young people, Tom would rather be having fun than going to school and church. This is always getting him into trouble, from which he finds unusual solutions. One of the great scenes in this book has Tom persuading his friends to help him whitewash a fence by making them think that nothing could be finer than doing his punishment for playing hooky from school. When I first read this story, it opened up my mind to the potential power of persuasion.
Tom also is given up for dead and has the unusual experience of watching his own funeral and hearing what people really thought of him. That's something we all should be able to do. By imagining what people will say at our funeral, we can help establish the purpose of our own lives. Mark Twain has given us a powerful tool for self-examination in this wonderful sequence.
Tom and Huck Finn also witness a murder, and have to decide how to handle the fact that they were not supposed to be there and their fear of retribution from the murderer, Injun Joe.
Girls are a part of Tom's life, and Becky Thatcher and he have a remarkable adventure in a cave with Injun Joe. Any young person will remember the excitement of being near someone they cared about alone in this vignette.
Tom stands for the freedom that the American frontier offered to everyone. His aunt Polly represents the civilizing influence of adults and towns. Twain sets up a rewarding novel that makes us rethink the advantages of both freedom and civilization. In this day of the Internet frontier, this story can still provide valuable lessons about listening to our inner selves and acting on what they have to say. Enjoy!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 1, 2001
~The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a fascinating and adventurous book about a boy named Tom Sawyer. He has a major crush on a girl called Becky Thacker. In this book, Tom goes to an island with two of his friends, attends their own funeral, and look for treasure! Tom sees Injun Joe a killer with treasure. He wants it, but his only clue where Injun Joe hid it is that it has something to do with number 2. Tom is now lost in a cave all alone with Becky. Can he find his way out of the cave and~~ the way to the treasure? I agree with Mark Twain's decisions and ideas. I believe that I would be doing the same thing if I were in his position. His decisions are able to happen; yet The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is such a good book. I would recommend this book to people who like adventurous books, and likes classics. It leaves you at so many cliffhangers that you can help but read all of it at once, for the people who like cliffhangers.~
on July 10, 2011
My husband and I listened to these CD's while traveling, and found ourselves over and over praising the reader chosen for this CD. He entertains with a remarkable variety of voices, all very authentic, and brings the story of Tom Sawyer alive in ways I never expected. I am SO happy I chose this version..I can't recommend it enough!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 25, 2003
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is one of the best books I have ever read. The language,the thinking,the adventures-all of it was just incredible and enjoyable. The only thing this book needs is more pages! Mark Twain's skill in writing has created a book that all ages should read (or have it read to).Mark Twain reactivates the life and actions of a boy in the mid-1800's,and showed me that kids should be who they are- not what they will be. This is a classic for every generation to read and enjoy.
Mark Twain's,The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, tells about a boy loving and living his life to the fullest. Tom Sawyer is the kid that the world has seemed to forgotten. He is the kid who always get in trouble but continues to have fun with life. In this book, Tom does everything from being engaged, to watching his own funeral, to witnessing a [death] and finding treasure. Twain's creative character finds fun everywhere in his little town in Missouri, as do his friends. The storyline is basic, but it is a piece of the past that everyone should hold on to.
In The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, I learned mainly two things. The first thing I learned was that you can make life fun with just about anything if you use your imagination. Life is too short and precious to be wasted. I also learned that where you least expect it [help or protection], you might just get it. This book was just amazing-filled with unique characters, exciting events, and how a town can pull together to help those in need.
on November 3, 2004
I have read this book numerous times and still enjoy pulling it out every now and then. From boyhood, teen, and adult years I have never seemed to outgrow the adventures of Tom Sawyer. Some of my favorite parts of the book are when there are no adventures at all and it's just every day life. For instance the Sunday morning church service cannot be called an adventure, but Mark Twain made it come to life with Tom's stumbling in front of the Sunday school after trading for tickets. David and Goliath indeed. Of course no service would be complete without the dog and the 'pinchbug'.

Every boy has a Becky Thatcher sometime in his life and it's fun to look back at your own childhood as you relive Tom's romantic exploits through his eyes and your own.

Of course Tom's adventures wouldn't be complete without his bosom pal Huck Finn. They become pirates on Jackson Island, witness a murder, and find buried treasure in a haunted house.

With other colorful characters like Muff Potter, Injun Joe, Aunt Polly, and the school master ("Who tore this book!!!"), this book by Mark Twain will live forever and be a favorite for adults and children alike.

And remember, anyone who lies will steal sheep!