5.0 out of 5 stars kid addiction
Published on October 6, 2006 by L. Gold

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't decide if it is good or bad.
I saw this movie on the first day it came out with my friends. Which we are all 14. We thought it would be fun to see a 3-D movie. So of course we saw all the comercials and went to see it.

Published on June 12, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars kid addiction, October 6, 2006
L. Gold (Ogden, Utah) - See all my reviews
I'm surprised at all the adults bashing this movie because THEY didn't like it! What I loved about this movie is that it does seem to cater entirely to childrens fantasies. I've seen many children watch it (because during my sons' obsession with it he had to show it to everyone!)and they were all mesmerized by it. I've even enjoyed it. The 3-D version is pointless though because unless you tweak your tv just right it is poor quality. Don't bother with that, just watch the 2-D version that is on the same disk. It's still great in 2-D. Little girls like this movie too, but a must have if you have little boys!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, September 8, 2006
Wow, many reviewers have really bashed this film. We just bought the DVD for our daughter, and she absolutely loved it. After having watched the special features section detailing how the Rodriguez family devised the story, my daughter is writing and illustrating multitudes of original, imaginary scenes of her own. As an adult, I actually enjoyed the movie very much. Sure, it's a step away from reality, but it has revitalized imagination and creativity in our household. Dreaming is a very bizarre and peculiar phenomenon, so I think the pure imagination depicted in the film is justified.

I haven't seen a movie so imaginative and entrancing since the first time I saw Gene Wilder as Willie Wonka on HBO as a seven-year-old boy.

It's corny and cheesy, but give it a chance and try not to be negatively biased by scathing critiques. Watch it with your kids. They'll enjoy your company. You might like it!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the HQFS (shutter glasses) 3-D version, May 28, 2006
The Other Eye (Glendale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This story is great for children under 10 years old, but for teens and adults, the 3-D is the fun part of this movie, and it's quite fun.

I own the other versions of this movie, too. But, I like this one the best, because the 3-D is sharp and colors are stunning.

Honestly, this is one of those few times when a movie is much better looking on DVD than it was in the theaters.

This movie played in theaters in Anaglyph format (red/cyan 3-D glasses), which distorted the colors and lessened the 3-D effect. I'd give it a bad review in the theaters. The other DVD release of this movie was also Red/Cyan 3-D. But, this particular DVD release is HQFS (High Quality Field Sequential), a MUCH better 3-D format .

You need a 3-D viewing system (like ASIN: B00005QW5S ) to watch it. (LCS shutter glasses, not red/blue glasses.)

One last important note: The description says this DVD is in Full Screen (not Wide Screen). Truth is that it actually is some form of wide screen. It is not as cropped as a real Full Screen disc. If played in full screen mode, characters are slightly thinner than usual. When I put my system in Wide Screen mode, this DVD it looks more correct. There is one viewing wide screen resize mode of my system in which it looks perfect. Normally, I wouldn't buy a DVD unless it is labelled Wide Screen, but this DVD is an exception.

Certainly, if you love 3-D and haven't seen this movie in the theaters, then I'd recommend this DVD. I saw this movie in the theaters (and didn't like it). But, I am much more fond of it on this DVD. I'd give it a 3 for story. but a 4 for 3-D.

5.0 out of 5 stars YES! YOU DO HAVE THE OPTION OF TURNING OFF 3-D effects!, September 26, 2005
SUPER SUPER movie. My nieces love it! YES! YOU DO HAVE THE OPTION OF TURNING OFF 3-D effects!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shark Boy and Lava Girl, August 1, 2005
This is a great kid's movie! It has a lot of action and it takes place on "Planet Drool" that has everything kids love! The best part is that its story tells kids that it is OK to dream and if you work hard enough you can make your dreams a reality!

What a great kid's message! A movie for the whole family to enjoy together!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams and Magical Realities, January 25, 2007
Sharkboy and Lavagirl is like a painting without 3D glasses. Put on the glasses and you experience a magical reality where dreams change your world and where the challenge is to overcome the nightmares.

This movie is as much about facing fears and positive thinking as it is about special effects. It is especially impressive in this regard, with witty dialogue and spontaneous and unexpected turns of event.

I found Lavagirl to be a beautiful character with a loving heart and playful outlook on life. She sometimes forgets her powers and they use this for comic effect. She seems a little lost at first, as if seeking her greater purpose all while enjoying a playful combative interchange with Sharkboy.

The scenes take place in a school and in a magical dream reality. The characters move from real life to dreams in an instant and you can fall asleep and dream up a new reality in your dreams. It is all very fun and I found myself laughing throughout at the innocent humor and creative surprises. I think adults will get the "brainstorm" joke even more than children would and there is plenty of humor for adults and kids to enjoy. I also thought there were some amazingly profound moments during the conversations and if you realize what it would take to say those lines to someone who is a bully, that in itself should impress.

On the fun visual side, lands of cookies and milk present culinary adventures as Lavagirl, Sharkboy and Daydreamer Max float through a world on a huge chocolate chip cookie. Then you have a volcano and worlds of imagination reminiscent of a theme park ride. There is a mildy dark nemesis who is the bully and he aggravates the situation by appearing in Max's dreams. He steals Max's diary. I loved that Max had a dream journal and how reading through the journal/diary made his dreams come true. Changing the dreams, changed the settings and this presents the challenge.

The amazing thing about this movie is how it was inspired by a child's imagination and when you watch the extras, I think you will be even more impressed. I would love to see more movies like this because it reminds me of the hope we have as children and how we can still dream our worlds into life as adults. I think this movie gives children an empowering message and to be honest, some of the issues discussed in this movie could change a child's world for the better. Max is a great role model and his actions speak of a wisdom far beyond his years. As Max learns to navigate his own imagination, he is really teaching children amazing lessons about how to navigate life.

Highly Recommended along with the 3D glasses!

~The Rebecca Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't decide if it is good or bad., June 12, 2005
A Kid's Review

The movie deals with a young boy named Max. I don't know what age he is but he sure does dream alot. He dreams so much that he creates his own little world named Planet Drool. From the title of his world you should now be able to tell how old you should be when you see this. Max dreams very often to escape his everyday life which is full of mean people. His parents fight all the time and his class thinks he is crazy. Well except for this one girl who is also plays a role in his dream.

Max creates two characters named Shark Boy and Lava Girl. He says that Shark boy lost his dad when he was young by a tornado. He and his dad were swept out to sea but were seprated. But just so happens, sharks realize that this boy is the boy that used to take care of them. (This is where I laughed out loud). The sharks started speaking and decided to raise the boy. He became Shark Boy and grew gills, fins, and whatnot. Which I found disturbing. My friends did also. Oh yeah, Lava Girl has powers of a volcano. She is full of heat. She comes to Max's house one day and tells him that she needs to take Shark Boy back to planet drool to help her save it.

So back to the present time, Max is still telling his class about Shark Boy and Lava Girl. And they still think he is nuts. Especially this one mean kid named Minus. He really doesn't like Max for some reason and you'll find out why if you watch the movie (which I am still not so sure you should). But this is where the movie takes a turn when the real Shark Boy and Lava Girl smash in to save the day. They tell max that something is wrong in planet drool and they need Max to make it stop. So Max of course goes with them and this is where you go through the ride of ice Cream,cookies volcanos, and more.

While watching Max on his adventure we get to see it in 3-D. With the red and blue 3-D glasses. Ummm first of all. I think that Spy Kids 3-D was way better with the 3-D part. In this movie yes some things pop out. Key word. Some things. Unlike in Spy Kids where you saw things float around the room. Yes they try to through things at the screen almost every 5 min. But sometimes it fails. Wait a minute! Almost half of it does not work. It get's really annoying when it doesn't work. Like when Lava Girl points at the screen and her hand is supposed to pop out. Nothing happens and we just get to see her stupid hand pointing at us for 2 mins for no reason. Lol. It's pretty funny. Yet stupid. Also it's get's even more annoying whenever things fly at us and nothing happnens. Me and my friends laughed at those pointless parts. So the 3-D not so great. OH JUST A REMINDER DONOT SIT CLOSE TO THE SCREEN WHILE WATCHING OR ELSE NOTHING WILL POP OUT AT ALL!!!! The room I was in was really small and was practicly right in front of the screen. I didn't like it at all. So remember what I tell you if you dare to see this.

Overall this movie to me was pretty stupid. The part where Max confronts his enemy Minus is just sad. Here is what happens.

Max: You have to stop doing this!

Minus: Okay I will stop (He nods and walks away)

Okay wasn't that sad. I laughed so much at that part. It was just so strange. So yes I did laugh alot during this movie. But for all the wrong reasons. The parts that were meant to be funny were not. Even all the kids that came to the movie as well did not laugh. Some of them left the theater because I guess it was too boring. But most stayed to see that happened to Max in the end. Overall I don't know what to say. Was it good or bad. It was kind of both. I mean maybe if I had nothing to do I would give this movie another try. Or maybe not. I would rather watch Spy Kids 3-D in the theaters again. Oh well. That's not gonna happen.

So if you have a bunch of little kids who want to have some fun I guess you could take them. But be prepared to become bored. This movie is ONLY 4 KIDS!!! Remember that. I mean most kids movies now days have a charm in it which older people will like it too. But this has nothing that will appeal to the older crowds. Just warning you. Oh yeah also be prepared to listen to things like

" Dreams are great!"

" Always dream"

"Dreaming is what makes the world go round"

Movie: C-

3-D: C

OH I 4GOT SOMETHING. Shark boy sings for like 3 mins. It is very horrifying. I was so disgusted. Where the heck did that come from. Okay that is all I have to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Movie To Watch With Your Kids, November 28, 2005
Tomcat (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I rented this movie and watched it with my 7 year old daughter. We both loved it. I'm not sure what's up with all the negative reviews unless they were expecting it to be something an adult would want to watch alone. It's not an adult movie, folks.

It's very entertaining with a cool and different story. My little girl wants Santa to bring her this so I know she liked it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A highly imaginative, entertaining film for kids of all ages, December 19, 2005
Thanks to Sin City, I'm now a Robert Rodriguez fan, so I took advantage of my chance to give The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl a try. I can't comment on the 3-D effects because I only saw the 2-D version. I can say, however, that I really got a kick out of this movie. I would have to disagree with those who say the story sort of loses traction in the final stages. What you have to remember is that this story, as it is presented, is a story borne of a young boy's imagination. It's just not in the spirit of things to go in expecting a completely logical ending to a story dreamed up by a fourth-grade kid. I do agree that the main character's parents, played by David Arquette and Kristen Davis, are sort of flat, but I thought all of the other actors really came through pretty strongly. OK, Sharkboy (Taylor Lautner) could really get annoying at times, but that Lavagirl really lights up the screen; I fully expect to see Taylor Dooley flashing that winning smile of hers in many a film for years to come. As for George Lopez (in a dual role), I thought he was great and played especially well to the target audience, which is, after all, youngsters (and us adults desperately trying to keep our inner child alive).

Max (Cayden Boyd) is pretty easy to identify with. His parents bicker all the time, the other kids at school pick on him and make fun of him, and he's well on his way to developing a real "why me?" mentality. His only escape from the real world comes in the form of his highly imaginative dreams. It's all there in his dream journal - how he unexpectedly discovered Sharkboy while fishing, how Lavagirl appeared and took Sharkboy back with her to Planet Drool in order to help save the planet, and how he declined to go with them because, well, he had to go back to school. It all makes for a great story, but Max doesn't win any friends by telling the story of Lavagirl and Sharkboy in the form of his "what I did over the summer" oral report. The class bully steals his journal, and it starts to look like Max won't even have the escape valve of his elaborates dreams to get him through the coming days of ridicule and general unhappiness.

It's just about then that Sharkboy and Lavagirl show up unexpectedly, tell Max they need his help, and whisk him away to Planet Drool, where Mr. Electric and his power plug army are close to succeeding in bringing perpetual darkness to what should be the ultimate kids' playground of a planet. That's when the adventure really begins, with many a wonderful setting brought to vivid, very colorful life on the screen. Unfortunately for Max, he doesn't exactly know what to do to stop Mr. Electric (or the evil overseer who's really running the show). He must reclaim his stolen dreams before "remembering" all of his unique powers.

In a way, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl is sort of a modern variation on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, as Planet Drool is a wonderland for the eyes. There is plenty of action as the trio of heroes fight off the forces of darkness (although I'm not clear on who taught Sharkboy martial arts, seeing as how he was raised by sharks and all), there are numerous laughs to be had by children of all ages, and some actual life lessons are imparted by the time everything is said and done. Imagination is important, especially for a child, but you have to work to make your dreams come true rather than merely use them as an escape; your enemies aren't so bad that you can't find a common ground with them; finding your purpose in life is integral to making you happy; etc. To me, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl qualifies as a wonderfully entertaining family-friendly film that kids (and a fair share of adults) should really enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars The movie I wish they had made when I was a kid., May 27, 2008
Let me begin by saying that as a rule, I don't usually support movies that portray kids in the savior role. I object to this mainly because I believe we, as a society, have elevated kids above their status by our constant portrayal of children as wiser, smarter and more cleaver than adults. By letting them constantly view children in this role, is it any wonder that so many kids have no respect for adults. I realize there are some adults that are not worthy of any respect... but now I am wandering off topic. Although Sharkboy and LavaGirl's hero is a small boy, he still remains respectful of adults in the real world. This is why I fully support this film.

As a child I was the ultimate "Day Dreamer" (Max's title on the Dream World). I walked around in my own little world most of the time. As a result I was called numerous unflattering names: Dingbat, AirHead and Breezy, just name a few. This resulted in a low self-esteem that took years to overcome. Max helps us see that an imagination may be something that will come in handy and may even be something to be admired even though many see it as an excuse for name calling.

The only thing that keeps this from being a Five Star is that in the end the kid is the only one smart enough to save the world: once again adults are portrayed as incapable, but at least the kid still remains respectful to authority figures.

The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl by Robert Rodriguez (DVD - 2011)
$9.98 $8.32