1,124 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
Published on December 8, 2011 by Crookedmouth

3.0 out of 5 stars No clever lines, no chuckles
I had not heard of TinTin prior to the making of this movie so it was all new to me. I had NO preconceived ideas or expectations going into this.

The animation (like sophisticated claymation?) was very good.

The story starts out interesting enough but kind of peters out a bit. No clever lines in this one like we have grown to expect from many other...
Published on March 28, 2012 by N. Gregg

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, December 8, 2011
Crookedmouth ":-/" (Somewhere in the Jurassic...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
A film by Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg, story by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish and starring Jamie Bell, Andy Serkis, Daniel Craig and Pegg & Frost. Sounds good, doesn't it? But 'ware! The subject is one of the most cherished icons of 20th century child's story-telling, held dear by pretty much anyone of a "certain age" and transferred from a distinctive style to modern CGI animation. The potential to fail is strong in this one...

Briefly, the story is a mash-up of three well known episodes in the Tintin canon, The Crab with the Golden Claws, The Secret of the Unicorn, and Red Rackham's Treasure. Tintin (Bell) meets Captain Haddock (Serkis) and embark on an action packed search for the Captain's ancestor's treasure trove. They are joined by two of the more fondly remembered of Tintin's associates, Thompson and Thomson played by Pegg and Frost, (or is it Frost and Pegg?) and stalked by arch criminal Ivan Sakharine (Craig).

The film is produced using performance capture animation and it bridges the gap between a live action film and the straight "cartoon" of the Bernasconi animated series. Obviously Tintin purists will have their objections as the film does take *some* liberties with the "look", but to the ordinary audience member, the end product is both impressive and reverential to Herge. If there are any objections to the CGI animation (and there are a few minor ones) I think it's important to remember that the art and technology of CGI is still developing and it would be churlish to criticise too strongly. One criticism I have heard is that the emotional expression of the characters suffers in the CGI process. I'll have none of that! The characters' faces are expressive and readable and it is quite easy eventually to forget that they *are* CGI and my wife came out of the cinema remarking that the make-up was very good and she didn't recognise Andy Serkis at all!

Most importantly, the animation really does keep the faith with Herge's vision (Herge even appears in a small cameo in the opening sequence) in almost every way. The characters are depicted as 3D versions of his original ligne claire artwork (without the lignes) and it's a big relief that the story is set in the 1940's Tintin universe, "somewhere in Europe", plus-fours, bowler hats, rusty tramp-steamers, schmeisser machine guns and sea-planes galore. The film really retains the film noir "feel" of the original and that will be important to Tintin's fans. The "scenery" is, like Herge's comics, sumptuously populated and I was crying out for a remote control to pause and rewind the film so that I could revisit some of the little details that I half-missed - the covers of magazines carelessly tossed onto desktops, the contents of the desk's partly opened drawers, little cameo sequences that take place at the edge of the screen while the main action is front and centre, the array of faces in The Milanese Nightingale's audience and so-on. The film has *huge* rewatch potential and I will be pre-ordering the DVD as soon as it becomes available for this reason alone!

The acting is brilliant and all the performers really bring their characters to life. Bell does a fine job and Serkis and Pegg and Frost convey their slapstick antics extremely well. It's good that the actors' performances don't overwhelm the characters' already well-developed personalities. While I've heard some criticism that Serkis overcooks his Haddock, I disagree - the Captain is a larger-than-life personality and Serkis does a fine job with this wonderful character. I am aching, however, to meet Professor Calculus in a sequel (please let it be Destination Moon)!

Ol' Steve has been around a while, now and knows a thing or too about the action/adventure genre and he really lets rip with this one. Indiana Jones for kids? I'll say. The action is breath-taking and at nearly two hours in length it's a rollercoaster ride. The motorcycle chase scene, filmed in a single continuous take is the centrepiece of the film. Spielberg bundles you into the sidecar and takes you on a break-neck race, bouncing you off the walls, leaping chasms and leaving you, several minutes later, sitting in a small cloud of dust with steam coming off the seat of your pants and little cork-screws of sweat radiating off your head. The "Long Take" scene is becoming a bit of a cliche in modern cinematography and, I think, looks a little ostentatious in live action film, but in animation it works rather well and left me exhausted and deeply satisfied. And it doesn't let up - in true Spielberg/Indy style, the film barely slows down for a minute. There's plenty of good, Herge slapstick, not too overdone and obeying the hallowed traditions of visual comedy, and genuine laugh out loud moments aplenty.

In the final analysis, The Adventures of Tintin is a top notch family film. It will, like any film of this sort, have its detractors; but what Jackson and Spielberg have achieved is a joyful, exuberant whoop of a film that will appeal to kids of all ages (i.e. anywhere between about 5 and 85) and will offend none but the hardest of Tintin die-hards.

Did we enjoy it? Ten thousand thudering typhoons! Of course we did!

Six stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Done right., December 30, 2011
Tintin (Chicago IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
The Tintin graphic novels follow an unlikely protagonist: a mile mannered, sharp-witted young reporter. There are about two dozen of them, artfully drawn, with a recurring cast of colorful characters woven through various tales. The books have been translated in 50 languages. 200 million copies have been sold around the world, but, oddly, not many of these are in America. That makes Tintin something of a rare gem here, and he's part of my family culture. I worried that Speilberg would spoil the magic, ruin the brand. Somehow, he didn't. At all. The film is brilliant.

Not only did it capture the tone, pace, and geographic sweep of the novels, it also caught so many details -- facial features of minor characters, body posture, personalities, villains, props, gags, cameo appearances, gestures, curses. It is all there. The motion capture style made it almost lifelike, but clearly not. Just like the novels.

It's as if the books had come alive. Another clever adventure with colorful characters in foreign lands half a century ago. Nice to see so many old friends, looking good after all these years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movie with a few too many embellishments, December 30, 2011
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
The Adventures of Tintin is an enjoyable well done adaptation of the books by Herge. For somebody that knows nothing about Tintin, this is an Indiana Jones-esque story that is fun and action packed. For the Tintin aficionado, this is an amalgamation of three books with some parts that are needlessly extended.

March 13, 2012 Update: Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy arrived today. The Digital copy is two different things, a real live downloadable copy through iTunes and the horrible streaming Ultraviolet copy. The "deluxe" Blu-Ray version includes an access code for both types of on computer viewing. The Blu-Ray disc is very nice. I saw the original movie in 3D at the theater. I don't miss the 3D effect, and frankly the sound was better at home on my home theater system. This is a disc well worth buying.

The opening credits are almost worth the price of admission. The roughly 3 minutes of credits go through almost all the stories. The graphics are very similar to the books.

Tintin, a journalist, buys a model ship at a flea market. It turns out a lot of other people want that ship. There is a bit of mystery, a bit of action, and treasure hunt in the story. The movie is based mostly on the Unicorn series (The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure) and The Crab with the Golden Claws. I love the homage to Herge at the beginning of the film, he is the artist doing Tintin's portrait at the flea market.

My criticism of the film is the embellishment of a number of scenes. I think the original story left the right kind of gaps in the story to keep me thinking. The film tended to fill in those gaps and lead me too much down the primrose path; I didn't have to think very much with this film. The real pleasure of Tintin is that a person has to think about these stories. The other piece I didn't care for was bringing in Castefiore the opera singer. She really doesn't belong in this story, but Spielberg and Jackson seem to have felt she was a plausible addition.

This was filmed in motion capture animation. The film looked really good. That technique has a tendency to look almost too realistic and creepy, not in this film. There was just enough cartoon character to the film, that I never thought this was trying to imitate real life. I saw this in 3D, and can't say it was necessary - I think the film will work just fine in 2D.

I really liked the cast. The voices were excellent choices; Jamie Bell is simply fantastic as Tintin. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz (Widescreen Edition)) are so perfect as Thompson and Thompson.

I am a Tintin fan. We have the full DVD set of all the cartoons (these were only available in Canada for a long time and ran on Nickelodeon back in 1991). We also own many of the books. I even have some original antique paper comic books from the early days. I am not a true aficionado of the series, but have loved the original series in French and English.

The film is rated PG. Compared to television cartoons, just about any age child could watch this. There's animated violence. The story is a little bit complex, but most children will catch on easily.

Almost two years ago I heard that The Adventures of Tintin was in development. I hoped that it would eventually see the light of day in a theater. I am so happy this film was made. It is a wonderful film of my favorite comic book series. This is by far the best filming that has ever been done. The DVD cartoons are very literal translations of the books, with exactly the same graphics and almost the same dialog. The two French live action movies are both pretty campy and not exactly the best films in the world. They stick to the book story lines pretty literally. They are only available in French with no subtitles at all (Tintin: Le Mystere de la Toison D'or / Les Oranges Bleues (French Version)).

The Adventures of Tintin is a wonderful film. I enjoyed this film very much.

By the way, Marlinspike is a real chateau in France, it is Ch‚teau de Cheverny. The chateau is larger than in the cartoon or books - but it is the model Herge used to draw Marlinspike Hall. The grounds look exactly like the cartoon (it's pretty darn amazing to walk up to this Chateau and see exactly what Herge used as his model).

The original cartoons are available on DVD:
The DVD Box set:

The Adventures Of Tintin: Season Two

The Unicorn 2 part cartoon is also available on Amazon Instant Video:
The Secret Of The Unicorn, Part 1
The Secret Of The Unicorn, Part 2

Red Rackham's Treasure and The Crab With The Golden Claws are available on Amazon Instant Video. I've included links to those two books in the comments section below.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blisterin' Baranacles!, March 15, 2012
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
I've read the Tintin comic books (have all the hardcover sets they sell here on Amazon), and have seen the Nelvana cartoon series (which is pretty much completely lifted from the comic books). Love them all! So many times I have been disappointed when Hollywood takes something I love, adapts it to the big screen, and completely ruins it so that any resemblance between the movie and the original is pure coincidence. With Spielberg and Jackson at the helm, I expected a high quality production, but what about the actual story?

This movie takes elements from three Tintin books - "The Crab with the Golden Claws", "The Secret of the Unicorn", and "Red Rackham's Treasure". Most of "The Crab..." that's in the movie is about how Tintin and Captain Haddock met. In "Unicorn", the flea market scenes actually took place AFTER Tintin and Haddock met, as Tintin had bought the model ship as a gift for his friend. But in the movie, he bought the ship before he met Haddock.

But unless you are that much of a stickler for details, this shouldn't matter. With the exception of these few details, the story was very true to the books and the Nelvana animated series. What was even better was how the characters were written; I am sure Herge would have approved, as they were just as he intended them to be. All the personality quirks of Tintin, Snowy, Captain Haddock, Thomson & Thompson, etc - all there as we remember them. I thought they did a great job with the casting, as well.

I was afraid they'd ruin this movie by doing something dumb like bringing on a love interest for Tintin (something that never happened in the books, but Hollywood often can't leave stuff alone). This is an adventure story, not a romance, and it was wise of Spielberg/Jackson to treat it as such.

The ending of the movie left me begging for a sequel. I hope they do make one, and it's to the same standards as this one. This Tintin fan loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars TinTin is an adventure for the whole family, March 20, 2012
We rented TinTin and after watching with the family we had to buy it immediately! The graphics were incredible unlike some of the other 3D style animations like Polar Express. It was so lifelike we had to remind ourselves that this was an animation. The story line was as exciting as any adventure film with such likable characters. TinTin is an amazing kid/man who can do anything and if you are fans of the comic this will not disappoint.

Everyone loved it- (ages 4-10 and adult) No one lost attention and the story line was exciting and easy for even the littler kids to understand.

We were also so excited to know that Peter Jackson was a producer and his WETA studio worked on it. With his incredible work with graphics on LOTR this was no doubt going to be excellent. Jamie Bell is also one of our favorites (Billy Elliot, Jumper - he stole the show, and Jane Eyre) and we were excited to know he was TinTin. And Andy (Gollum) was Captain Haddock.

My only complaint is that I rented the movie at all and didn't just trust our instincts and buy it... We ordered the blu-ray/DVD/digital copy combo so we can watch it at all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blistering barnacles!!! Perfect adaptation!!!, January 23, 2012
Ricardo "rapt3" (S„o Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
I am a huge Tintin fan since I was 12! I used to watch the Nelvana cartoon with my family back in the 90's and I never missed one single episode of it!! Besides, that's the TV series that introduced me to the character.

Having grown up with the series, at that time I had no idea that it was inspired on a series of comics written by Belgian writer George Remi (Hergé), so when Internet finally came in the late 90's I started to search for those comics, and boy, I had a hell of a thrill ride!

With that said, needless to say that I was eagerly waiting for this movie! Of course there is some other movie adaptations out there, but truth being told, they never made much justice to the supreme creation of Hergé.

By the way, Hergé used to say that the only person alive capable of taking his creation to the big screen was Steven Spielberg. And boy, he was 100% right!!

This first adaptation of the Tintin adventures around the world is brilliant!! More than brilliant!! It's perfect!! Seriously, the only thing more perfect than this would be if Spielberg copied the entire stories from the comics to the form of a movie. And don't get me wrong, he did keep the original story by Hergé almost intact in this movie, but being the great filmmakers that he and Peter Jackson are, they decided to have a take on more than one story per movie and put those stories to work together as a whole. Did it work? Oh yeah!

In this first movie of a hopeful long series of movies (Hergé made 24 Tintin stories!!) they decide to introduce us to the characters. They introduce to the Tintin rookies the main character, the reporter Tintin and his dog Milou, who are two courageous fellas who are always ready for adventure. We also manage to meet the Dupont twins on this movie, two silly and dumb police officers and Captain Haddock, the longtime friend of the main character. Even the Moulinsart Castle and the lovely Bianca Castafiore was there.

The stories chosen to this movie was "The Crab with the Golden Claws" (where Tintin and Haddock met for the first time), "The Secret of the Unicorn" and "The Red Rackham's Treasure", three of the most exciting stories of the Tintin collection.

The animation is fantastic, fluent and the digital sets take your breath away. The acting is superb, they got the right cast to act, Andy Serkis as Haddock is spectacular!! And that's another strong point in the movie, the characterization of almost every character on Tintin's universe was kept intact, except for Dr. Sakharin, who in the original stories was never a descendant from Red Rackham, but it was a nice addition and brought more drama and interesting developments to the script.

The humor is top notch!! I laughed out loud with the drunk jokes in the movie, in fact, I laughed out loud in the entire movie!! It was fantastic!! Being able to see all those beloved characters from my youth in the big screen exactly the way I used to know them was just great!!

As for the story, well it's the story everyone as a fan already know. It was the same story we know from the comics and the Nelvana cartoon, but told differently, so, except for the Sakharin development, there was no surprises at all for me in terms of story.

The only character I missed on the movie was Professor Tryphon Tournesol. I just love this scientist. He is deaf, but doesn't know it, so he gets everything wrong and usually causes a lot of trouble, but he have a heart of gold. I was eagerly hoping to see Prof. Tournesol on the movie with his shark submarine, but I guess I'll have to wait for the next one.

And boy, I will be eagerly waiting for the next one, the one Peter Jackson will direct. I seriously hope to see more Tintin movies from now on. I'm also really sad that the film went so bad in the USA, I guess US people didn't get the point of Tintin, but I hope they will next time.

Anyway, great movie, wonderful adaptation, I hope to see more of this, and I will finish my review by saying: Great Snakes and Blistering Barnacles!! Go for Tintin!!! You won't regret it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding!, January 29, 2012
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
having read all of the tintin books by herge, i was anxious to see this, yet reluctant in thinking they were going to change it a lot for the movie. I was very happy to see they kept it true to the charectors intended by herge. The story was great, and kept you on the edge of your seat, the animation and effects were absolutly stunning. Great job! This movie was much better than I even hoped for. You'll enjoy it no matter how you see it, but the 3D is awesome. I would pay to see it in the theater, and will buy the dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful adventure for this Tin Tin lover, March 15, 2012
Richard Campbell "RichSC" (Alexandria, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I had seen a number of reviews dismissing this movie as a travesty, and I waited past the theatrical release for this Blu Ray release, but now that I've seen it, I have no idea what the critics are dissing. Perhaps they're like the geeks who would never buy an iPad and long for the days of the MS DOS command line and IRQ settings. ,

This is an absolutely wonderful movie. Very close to the spirit of Tin Tin and a film we'll watch numerous times. I think the move to 3d, ie animation, is the biggest visual hurdle from the flat cartoons, but the rest of the motion, detail and color are spot on for translations from the books. I only hope there is at least one additonal film from this.

5.0 out of 5 stars TinTin is a delight!!! A spectacular entertainment!, March 17, 2012
Tom (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I really did not know what to expect. I am American, so I had never heard of TinTin until the release of this film.
It absolutely took my breath away. I didn't even know what hit me until after watching it. It is even hard for me to write about TinTin.
To be fair, I was lucky enough to watch it in the original 3D version on BluRay. 3D enhanced this movie into the stratospheres. I cannot say enough for how powerful the use of 3D is in this movie. It makes a huge difference and I am sure increased my love for TinTin by leaps and bounds. The 3D TinTin something to behold!!!
This is one movie I am so glad I purchased on Blu Ray. I really want to watch it again and again. I feel I only skimmed the surface the first time through.
The plot is somewhat complex. The characters are remarkable. TinTin and Snowy captured from what I can see, the comic characters to a T.
It is a very fast paced action film that never ever stops for a second. But that is how the comic book is. One thing after another.
That being said, it got under my skin. The motion capture photography is like nothing I have ever seen before. It is spectacular. The colors are cinematic wonders. Spielberg outdid himself. I feel this is the Indiana Jones I had been told was so great. I loved this movie a thousand times more than every Indian Jones put together. But I am sure that is just me.
The animation is in a class by itself. And the movie has stuck with me in a way no movie does. I can't get it out of my mind.
I am surprised by the tepid amount of reviews for TinTin. Maybe it is an American thing. I think in Europe where TinTin is well known it was a smash hit.
I loved it so much. What a wonderful film!!! I had no idea I would even like it. I did not even have any big expectations for it once it was released here in the US. I do not want to give anything away so I won't talk plot here. Just that TinTin buys a ship that holds many secrets untold. That is all I want to say.
I hear Peter Jackson is going to direct the next TinTin. Wow. I cannot wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Indiana' TinTin..., December 24, 2011
This review is from: The Adventures of Tintin (DVD)
Loved the movie, they pitched the personality of the key characters spot on! Bought back a lot of childhood memories. The 3d animation was brilliantly mastered and spielberg did it again. It was quiet an action packed move and there was a hint of Indiana jones, pirate sofmcarribean in it too. It will make you laugh, giggle, oooooh, exciting and truely an all round family movie, although my hubbie thought the special effects were very realistic in places and though therer were pieces with the violence that maybe a little realistic for young kinds below 10: you have been advised!

The Adventures of Tintin (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
$21.99 $13.99