Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2006 10:29:31 AM PDT
I hope Mena Suvari (the voice actress for Aerith Gainsborough) does a better job in this than in Kingdom Hearts 2. If not, at least she hardly has any lines. ^_^

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2006 4:47:47 PM PDT
Lucy Faust says:
Yeah and I hope the english actors can pronounce Sephiroth right. (Unlike Cloud in KH2) That really irked me. Actually, I'm kind of scared to watch the enlish version... I'm afraid all the voices will be completely unfitting of the character. If that's the case I'll stick to the Japanese version. The only voice in that I didn't like was Nanaki's.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2006 11:50:52 AM PDT
Stardrifter says:
oh yeah -.- in KH2 he said sefaroth or something like that.. ><

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2006 9:36:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2008 12:23:18 AM PDT
Sephiroth says:
"Yeah i feel your pain that is if you have any from it, because his name is spelled and pronounced sephiroth not sepheroth my friend always calls him sepheroth and drives me nuts."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2006 11:07:49 AM PDT
S. Cincu says:
Okay, so how is it pronounced.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2006 11:00:34 PM PDT
D. Pohlman says:
ok so wait...nobody has heard how his name is pronounced since the characters in the game had no audio...so i don't see how anyone can know how it is pronounced! either way, i'm oblivious

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2006 3:17:58 AM PDT
PA LAIDLER says:
Because thats how you pronounce it, Sef-ee-rof

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2006 3:18:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 22, 2006 3:20:02 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2006 3:18:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 22, 2006 3:19:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2006 1:11:49 PM PDT
D. Pohlman says:
how does 'th' make an 'f' sound

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2006 2:14:43 PM PDT
J. Li says:
I pronounce it as Sef-roth, giving only a negligable amount of time for the "i" in the name. It doesn't really matter though, does it? He's still the same guy killing people and such.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2006 12:45:53 PM PDT
D. Pohlman says:
ya...i like how that guy put it

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2006 7:32:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2006 7:33:46 PM PDT
its pronounced the way they sing it in the final battle of the game
Sef-ee-roth

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2006 12:01:49 PM PDT
C. Horner says:
Wow, pronunciation is a little nitpicky isn't it? I like one of my favorite Authors, Tracy Hickman's answer to people who invariably ask how to pronounce one name or another (Usually Raistlin, from the Dragonlance series). He says "Whatever sounds right to you when you read it." Because the story is yours to read, and if it sounds right to you than that is the correct way. Although incedently, I have always pronounced it the way its pronounced in the One winged angel song.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2006 5:01:55 PM PDT
Lucy Faust says:
The same way an 'L' makes an 'R' sound.. That's just the way the Japanese pronounce their language.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2006 11:58:38 PM PDT
Wheeee says:
The name is pronounced in the song during the last battle in the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2006 9:59:39 AM PDT
M. Denna says:
Sorry to reply against someone, but being a student of the language, I san say that it isn't a "ph" sound. Our "th" is their "su." This of course is where the fans are irked by Aeris' name. Hope that clears it up a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2006 12:44:23 PM PDT
Mena Suvari is actually much better in Advent Children than she is in KH2. She just tried too hard on both accounts, I think. It doesn't take away from either the game or this movie, IMO, it just irks you a little to hear her speak.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2006 12:45:50 PM PDT
Sephiroth is pronounced however the voiceactors in the movie and other games (KH2) choose to pronounce it. Square Enix sent these products out with their names on them, so they approve of the pronounciation, enough said.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2006 10:51:43 AM PDT
jd says:
mena suvari did aerith's voice in KH2? (i have yet to play it.) mandy moore did it in the first game... why'd they switch? i have no opinion either way of mandy moore's voice in the first kingdom hearts, i'm just curious.

and yeah i too am anxious to hear the english dub, even though i've seen the japanese version a dozen times and will probably end up sticking to that one. i hope i'm not disappointed like i was with the english dubbing of howl's moving castle =\ and i'm all anxious now because when my disc shipped it was all scratched so i have to wait another week or two to get a replacement and watch! hopefully it will be in good shape this time. :(

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2006 12:25:05 PM PDT
Ed V M says:
Listen to the song... "Safer Sphiroth"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2006 11:30:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2006 11:32:24 PM PDT
Actually, none of the pronunciations are correct... not even the one in the chorus. It should be noted that 'sephiroth' is not a Japanese word, nor a completely made up one. It's Hebrew. It's actually the plural form of 'sephira', which refers to one of the dimensional realities that exist in the universe. It's correct Hebraic pronunciation is __sef-er-OTE__. I know that it's pronounced how it is spelled in English in the film.... but if you want the correct linguistic version, there you go. ^_^

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2006 11:49:58 AM PDT
It seems like they actually changed a whole bunch of the voice actors from the first to the second one (check imdb.com if you're interested). Sephiroth went from Lance Bass (of NSync) to George Newbern as well as the shift from Mandy Moore to Mena Suvari for Aerith. I think they got a bit of a backlash in KH from having name-brand pop stars playing people's favorite childhood video game characters and changed accordingly for KH2.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2006 8:17:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2006 8:21:04 PM PDT
Sephiroth says:
Well if you watch Final Fantasy VII Last Order they pronounce his name right. Besides mainly when a character has a name that's not american the japanese always pronounce it right. But what i mostly get tired of is seeing aeris' name spellled wrong,her name may be aerith in japanese but in american it's aeris,it's in the game instruction manual.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2006 8:30:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2006 8:31:14 PM PDT
Sephiroth says:
Actually the song is called "one winged angel". But other than that your right his name is pronounced in the song correctly.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Apr 4, 2006
Latest post:  Oct 13, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children
Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children by Takahiro Sakurai (DVD)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (982)