Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Style Name: 6, 6 LED|Change

on March 24, 2011
Since I already owned an AeroGarden (and was familiar with the way it works), I didn't have the issue the other reviewer here had (and am a little baffled that you wouldn't know you need the appliance...or this was just a styrofoam tray with grow-plugs stuck in it)...but whatever. This thing worked GREAT, and gave me 60-some opportunities to grow seeds that Aerogarden itself doesn't carry. I just transplanted my first batch of brussells sprouts (started maybe 4 weeks ago), and they're doing great. I'll be starting all my seeds here from now on.

Only caveat: be careful when popping your newly-sprouted baby plants out of the tray - the seedlings' roots are extra long and easily tangled. I certainly lost a bunch in transport, but it didn't seem to affect the plant's growth once in the ground. So, really, no harm, no foul.
on May 1, 2011
After owning and being happy with an aerogarden for a few years, I decided to give this product a try for up-coming summer crops. I planted a mixture of 4 different tomato types, cucumbers, zucchini, lavender, parsley, jalapeno peppers and parsley. To my surprise ALL the seeds germinated within 48 hours and now in 10 days out I have to transplant my cucumbers and zucchinis into planters. They exhibited amazing root growth and healthy leaf formation. In fact, within 10 days they are about 4-5 inches tall each with very healthy vegetation so far. Foam plugs were a bit tricky at first to place but once situated work extremely well. Product works extremely well and I am ordering another one for a second aerogarden to start some summer annuals in them. My only gripe and reason for not giving 5 stars is that I feel Aerogarden has THE WORST customer service I have encountered. There was a delay in my shipping because of a back-ordered item and I did not receive an email about it. Upon emailing the company after 2 weeks of waiting I received a rather nasty email back from their customer service dept. saying that they dont send out auto-emails and if I were really interested I should have called instead of emailing. Well, I am not going to stop using or ordering aerogarden prodcuts because I feel they are high quality and amazing products...having 3 aerogardens will attest to that..but jeez...at least send out a civil email.
on June 8, 2012
The standard 7-plant Aerogarden left me wanting more. Since adding the Garden Starter Tray, I've used it as much as the original version. It's worked perfectly for herb, tomato and pepper seedlings, and for a very productive mesclun lettuce crop that never even made it outdoors.

The only fault I've found (and it's not a fatal one) is the inability to circulate the water as the entire growing deck and pump system have to come off to use the styrofoam starter tray insert. We found out the hard way that you have to keep flushing out the whole water reservoir every week or so, or risk having stray mosquitoes use it for an indoor nursery. Really. I will say, the little newborn mosquitoes are easier to swat than the mature ones, and we've had no more problems since we started changing out the water. In fact, I'm preparing right now for a third batch of lettuce seedlings to grow in air-conditioned comfort and carry us through the hot summer months.
on March 27, 2011
The items arrived together (eliminating double s/h charges) and quickly. The price was less than anywhere I looked in stores and on the internet. Very pleased with this seller. Will order again definitely. lynfarley
on April 7, 2013
I purchased this item direct from aerogarden. I thought an insert for my aerogarden for seed starting was a great idea for my new home garden. I expected a plastic tray insert and was disappointed to find out this was actually made of Styrofoam. Fortunately I received this as a promotion with purchase of other items.
on September 25, 2013
After purchasing an Aerogarden second hand and successfully growing the herb kit in it(extending it to six months by just getting more nutrients and successfully transplanting two of the herbs into flower pots when I cleaned out the Aerogarden) I decided I'd try the Garden Starter. I'll agree, it looks like a cheap piece of Styrofoam, but for what it is, it works great, much better than I expected. I filled it with zinnia and marigold seeds for my flowerbeds putting 1 seed in each sponge. About 90% sprouted and I just had to put new seeds in the few that didn't. I ended up with more plants than I had time to plant this year and think perhaps next year I'll just cover over some of the holes so I have the amount of plants I need. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who owns and Aerogarden and likes starting seeds indoors. A little pricey for what it is, but with the price of flower/vegetable bedding plants from the garden shop it's a much cheaper alternative giving you more bang for your buck.
on August 8, 2013
The item does what it says..
I was slightly disappointed because the product is made from styrofoam. I was expected a heavy plastic..
It definitely does the job but I am concerned about durability since it is made out of styrofoam...
on June 10, 2014
I've gone through a few rounds of the herb starts with my AeroGarden 7 with great results. I was really excited to find this tray to try starting some vegetable seeds. I planted radish, carrot, and pumpkin seeds. I kid you not, the radishes sprouted in 2 DAYS. The carrots and pumpkins followed soon after. The seeds really love this thing and I plan to use it or something similar again.
The reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that right out of the box, when all the dirt sponges are dry, they tend to fall right out the bottom of the styrofoam so when you pick the tray up out of the box they all fall out. I had to awkwardly tilt the whole tray 90 degrees sideways to transport it to the water. Once in the water they float and then swell and stick in place. Would be nice if the styrofoam holes were tapered a bit more to keep them in place.
on November 4, 2012
We have used this starter tray with great success.

This past season, we started a variety of peppers, cucumbers, and flowers. The vegetables worked the best, as they grew quickly and overwhelmed the flowers to a degree. We had more seedlings than we could handle and ended up providing some to family and friends. We have no complaints.

I recommend opening a small hole in the top of the planting plug and using a toothpick to seat the seeds. We used two to three seeds per plug and then pruned what was growing in each, leaving the strongest plant. These we transplanted to our garden. After a mild degree of transplant shock, they grew strong through the season - especially the cucumbers.
on July 11, 2011
I bought this item to start an herb garden, and it worked wonderfully! We are now eating loads of basil and cilantro -- and no more last minute trips to the store to get more than I need to cook with at the moment! Do follow all directions - especially changing out the water as instructed. I learned the hard way with some of my crop that if you don't, you will get some mold starting to grow that will prevent the seeds from taking root.