Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Outdoor Deals on HTL

Color: AeroPress OnlyChange

on March 2, 2009
The AreoPress works well but I find that it takes longer than what it says in the instructions to push the water through, a minute or two, even if I'm using light pressure as recommended in the instructions. Perhaps this is because I like a little bite in my coffee and grind the coffee very fine. Otherwise I am very happy with it, think about it - this is a manual brewer that will make what is essentially Clover quality coffee for about $25 instead of $10,000!
on January 6, 2010
I've used this product every day since receiving it about three weeks ago and day in and day out it makes some of the best coffee I've ever had. Very simple to use and easy to clean up. Here are some things to keep in mind while using this to make a great cup of coffee.

1. Grind your beans just before using them. Nothing can compare to fresh ground beans. And use the right amount of coffee. (I figure about one scoup of beans to every "shot" of espresso.)
2. Do not grind your beans too finely. I initially ground my beans to the same consistency as when I used an espresso machine. That is too fine and it resulted in a very bitter coffee. I've found that a grind somewhere between what you want for an espresso machine and what you want for a drip coffee maker is best.
3. Use good tasting water. I use water that has been filtered with a "Brita" water filter in order to remove any hints of chlorine or any other foreign elements that diminishes the taste of your water. Water quality varies greatly with location.
4. Do not use boiling water. This is very important. Water heated beyond 175-180 degrees is too hot and will extract bitter oils too quickly resulting in a coffee more bitter than most people like. I microwave a pint of water for about 4 minutes to give me the ideal water temperature (175 degrees). (Your microwave may vary.) I usually start with the water and by the time it's ready, I've completed all of my other preparations.
5. Do not let the water steep in the coffee too long. Once you pour a portion of your water onto the coffee and give it a quick stir, you don't want to wait too long to begin pressing it through. (15 to 20 seconds tops!)
6. I prefer the "Americano" style, so I reserve most of my water to pour into the mug after pressing.
7. Press slowly and evenly.

That is all there is. Clean up is a cinch and in about 5 minutes, I have the best coffee I've ever had.
on February 26, 2009
Coffee maker is exactly what I expected. It has taken some experimenting to get the right combination of coffee versus H2O for my taste but after a week or so I think I mastered it. It is best for those mornings that I make coffee for just myself. It is not as convenient for multiple people.
on January 5, 2009
I can honestly say that the best coffee I have made at home has been from my Aeropress. I've made French press side by side with the Aeropress (Americano style) and the Aeropress wins for sure. It is possible that I'm just not very good at making French press though.

In any case, it's a great, inexpensive way to make espresso at home. If you don't drink espresso drinks, don't worry.. an Americano is just espresso with hot water, so it's just like a regular cup of coffee, only it tastes better (in my opinion).

The product itself is designed very well, seems very rugged, cleans up easily, and works exactly as advertised.
on June 29, 2010
It's a terrific morning workout if you're trying to get rid of those bat-wings on the backs of your upper arms! However, my senior citizen mother would not have the strength to brew an entire cup. Suggested for men only, and women who want the workout.
Also, if you're traveling with it, be sure and bring along a sturdy mug, I wouldn't try it on a paper cup.

The coffee is fine, I don't really find it to be much better than from my old electric Krups coffee pot, but it is faster.

I do have one concern, I'd like to be assured that the plastic is BPA-free. If it is, please brag about it in the product description. If it isn't, please make it so, and when the new BPA-free version is for sale, I'll buy another.

I'm disappointed to see Amazon prices climb almost on a daily basis, especially in the current economic climate. I put this in my cart one night, and it was $19.99. The next day I was looking for something else to meet the "free shipping" quota and the price had jumped to $24.99.
A few weeks later it's over $32.
The above is relevant, as I feel the product is well worth $19.99. $24.99 is pushing it, but fine with free shipping.
Over $32 and I might consider buying a nice electric appliance instead.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2011
Well, after reading all the rave reviews, I decided to get a couple of these and see what the big 'brew-haha' was about.

Let's say I'm not giving up my moka pots and my french press, quite yet.

Mainly because it uses a boatload of coffee for what it does - two full scoops for what Aerobee calls a 'double-shot'. I call a single. Coffee tasted slightly better, but I'm not sure it tastes two scoops better.

The moka pot can produce almost as strong coffee with half the grounds. You do pick up a little more complexity with the Aeropress, but, again, I don't think I want to have to double my coffee budget for a slight gain in complexity.

I'm still working with it - I note a lot of reviews indicate you really have to get the grind and the temps just right. We'll see how things go with further testing (and a lot of coffee $$$).
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2011
I was first introduced to this coffee "doohicky" (as my friends and I call it) by a friend who boldly told me it would be the best cup of coffee I have had at home. I was fully prepared to quickly dispute his claim but upon the first sip I was pleasantly shocked at the quality that came from a small plastic tube. I then received my own coffee doohicky as a birthday gift.

The instructions are easy and with just a little experience you can settle into how you like to brew your coffee. Clean up is easy, just pop the used coffee "puck" right into the trash...much easier the cleaning a French Press. I have been using my doohicky almost daily for over a year and have never had any cracks, breaks, or any variation in the quality of coffee. The extra fine filters do a great job of catching all the coffee "dust" that is created by most home grinders when on their finest setting. With the Areopress you avoid all sludge that can accumulate at the bottom of a cup off coffee from a french press. As a side benefit of this micro filtering, the shot that you get from this press can be kept in a sealed container to save for later without threat from unfiltered grounds spoiling your beverage.

One of the best things about this press is how portable it is. I take this on backpacking, kayaking, and car camping trips and have the exact same cup of coffee in the field that I have in the comfort of home. I keep the doohicky, a small stack of filters, and thermometer in a small mesh bag and it goes wherever I go. I recommend this for any traveler who rely on luck to find good coffee while on the road.

The only thing this coffee maker can't do well, is handle volume. It is fast and easy for a cup or two but if you are planning a coffee service for more then 6 folks, other methods will be less tedious.

The Areopress is well made, easy to use, maintenance free, consistent, clean and convenient. 5 Stars!
on September 19, 2009
I had purchased this gizmo over a year ago (back on this site for more filters!) and will attest that since that time, I have NOT used my Bodum french press or Krups drip coffee maker. This is that good! This contraption makes a great Americano, a decent cappuccino (I use a wand milk frother) and latte. It is definitely better than Starbucks' versions (sorry, Starbuck fans) and is not as good as a Peets-made capuccino or latte, but it's also not $3-$4 a cup either. You have to make sure your coffee is burr-ground to the correct fineness otherwise the coffee drips through too easily or not at all. So you'll need to experiment and know what setting to grind your coffee at your supermarket or to tell your coffee roaster/retailer what fineness to grind the beans. It takes a little work but is worth every sip of it.
If you truly enjoy gourmet or artisan foods and beverages and want to keep your checkbook in the black, as in coffee (no pun intended), the Aero-press is the alternative solution to your local favorite coffee bar.
Whoever invented this was a genius!
on January 11, 2012
First off, I cannot understand anyone saying this is a problem to use. I read the reviews AND the instructions. I did not heat the water as hot (just to the point of seeing bubbles and a little steam) to make the coffee BUT I left the remaining water to boil so when you mix it after the drip, the finished cup is piping hot. I only used one scoop for a 10 oz of coffee in a 12 oz cup (I use Gevalia Columbia Ground which is wonderful and very flavorful)Pressing down is a breeze and as you get closer to the bottom it becomes easier and goes faster. The coffee is sooooooooo silky smooth, I find I only need/want one in the morning, instead of my normal two. I also find I use less fat free half & half. Cleanup? It literally takes 10 seconds! Unscrew the bottom, POP the hockey puck of coffee grinds with the filter, rinse with water and DONE!
My only complaint was the way AMAZON shipped it for free. You can track it initially as it is sent UPS but then it is given to the local Post Office for delivery. At that point it goes into a black hole and you have no idea when it will be delivered. For me it was 2 days later.
on March 3, 2013
I've been using this coffee maker for about three years now. It's great for our application, which is making our daily coffee Latte. I make one double Latte in the morning for my wife and I each. That's about all of the coffee we ever drink. There have been no problems at all, in three years of almost daily use. Yes, it may not be the most efficient user of coffee, but it's perfect when we want just four (near)espresso shots a day! Yes, if you like the full bitter flavor of all of the oil extractives that are drawn from the coffee at higher temperatures, then this might not be the best device for you. But we, and every guest we have had over, has claimed to love the Lattes that I make for them.

For the reviewers that complain about the device flying apart under pressure, or clogging stubbornly during pressing - DON'T USE SO MUCH PRESSURE on the plunger!! As is explained right in the instructions, if you over-pressure the plunger (by leaning on it will all of your weight) you will create such a tight plug of water/coffee slurry that you will blind the filter tightly. If that happens, just relax a bit of pressure and be a little more patient. With light to moderate pressure, the coffee is filtered pretty quickly. Warning - it IS hard to make a triple shot in a single pass - exactly because of the tendency for the filter to plug tightly. It is much better to make a couple of doubles. I've never had a single coffee ground in the brew, not unless I got sloppy or careless inserting the filter paper.

For those of you worried about the possible plastic taste - we never have tasted anything plastic-like, or chemical-like. If you are worried about the health effects of the food-grade plastic - get serious - there are so many REAL risk in U.S.A. processed foods that this food-grade plastic device doesn't even make the radar screen.

For those reviewers that complain that the press is plastic crap that only last a couple of years without the plastic crazing - COME ON!! - it only cost you $26. Ours has been in use for three years, with no deterioration.

There are some coffee snobs out there, just like wine snobs, and whatever floats your boat is fine, but if you would like to find a simple and easy way to make a small quantity of something close to a shot of espresso, without a $1000 counter appliance (all of which get much worse reviews than the Aero-press) then my recommendation is that it is well worth risking $26 to give this a try.

Alas, we are fairly simple people, and none of our house guests have been coffee snobs, or else they have graciously hidden that fact. All of our guests claim to have really appreciated that I can serve them a Latte that rivals Starbucks in flavor.