5.0 out of 5 stars A little work, a whole lot of reward!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:22 Mins
As you can tell from the other reviews, the aeropress is awesome! My video covers some of the features and process in making a cup.
Published on October 14, 2012 by Brian C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely BUT
A lovely little coffee gizmo which makes pretty good coffee but pressing/plunging IS difficult esp if you're making more than two espresso cups. I have to use my full body weight which is a bit ridiculous. Today, it exploded all over me...guess I pressed too hard! Also wish it was glass. BPA free or not, plastic still has lots of other harmful chemicals esp. when heated.
Published 18 months ago by Sheeba

5.0 out of 5 stars A little work, a whole lot of reward!, October 14, 2012
Brian C. (Santa Cruz, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker with zippered nylon tote bag with bonus 350 Micro Filters (Kitchen)
Length:: 3:22 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee maker!, March 28, 2010
C. Schmidt (Colorado Mountains) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a great coffee maker - especially for someone like me who wants to make only 1 mug at a time. I've tried all different kinds of coffee makers, but they don't seem to be optimized for making a single ~8 oz mug of coffee. I always ended up brewing multiple cups of coffee and throwing the extra away to get the one good cup I wanted.

I got this aeropress for Christmas 2006 and it is great. I followed the initial instructions, but preferred my coffee a bit different. So, I experimented with grind, water temperature, amount of coffee/water, etc., until I found the right combination for *my* personal preference. I use this to make a cup of coffee, not espresso (that is, I add water to the result to get "regular" coffee), so I can't comment on the quality of espresso taste. I have noticed that coffee beans/grind from different sources have their own "sweet spots" for best grind and coffee/water quantity to get the taste I prefer. So, now that I know how I like to brew a couple different types, I try to stick with those so that I don't have to go through the experimenting stage needed if I try a completely new coffee bean/grind. That works for me. This coffee tastes great. :)

Oh, I should mention that I have also used french press coffee makers. I really like the taste of french press coffee, but got sick of the grinds and/or sediment that always ends up in the bottom of the coffee and made the bottom of the cup taste gross. True to its advertising, the aeropress doesn't seem to leave grinds or sediment. I sip my cup kind of slowly and end up zapping it in the microwave to heat it up again several times. The coffee does not get bitter from sitting in my mug because there is not coffee grind sediment soaking at the bottom. That is a huge plus for me!

A few folks mentioned that the plunger can be hard to press. I have to agree. I've had 2 shoulder surgeries and it does take some extra effort to manage to push the plunger straight down. I can still do it, although I only have 2 scoops of coffee grind in at a time. I think it would be extremely difficult to press with too much coffee in it.

All this time of daily use, including travel, and there are no problems, no parts wearing out from stress, no cracks in the plastic. It still looks like new.

I donated my drip coffee machine, french press and espresso machine to Goodwill. :)

PS - I noticed the aeropress is available via third party vendor and Amazon. I can't comment on the vendor, as I put it on my wishlist for Xmas and got it as a gift. I noticed there are separate reviews for each device/vendor, so will post my review under each.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Coffee ever from a Frisbee company... yup!, February 13, 2011
D. J. Eshelman (Fort Collins, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I may try a video review of this later because I think this is hands down one of the greatest ways to make a single cup of coffee.

I bought this because I was tired of the coffee at the office giving me heartburn and generally making me want to immolate myself every time I drank another cup.

There are some things about the AeroPress that blow my mind.

1) The coffee is outstanding; better than MoreBucks and definitely a lot more affordable and convenient.
2) Cleanup is very easy
3) You feel like a cubicle alchemist which is always a good thing.
4) You can customize you level of flavor/density very easily.

The process for me is pretty cool. Check it out.

(I bring in espresso ground coffee from home but you can use regular grind if you like a lighter brew)

1) Fill my cup with hot water from the filter (or whatever; can't say I recommend regular tap water as you want it about 170 degrees)
2) Put a filter on the endcap and add a scoop of coffee
3) Put the AeroPress on my second cup (or I suppose if you like you could bring the whole contraption over to your water source and skip the 1st step)
4) Pour water in and mix; some coffee will begin draining right away depending on how fine a grind you're using.
5) Attach the press and press down slowly
6) Over a trashcan remove the endcap and press out the 'puck'

Enjoy the coffee. If it's too strong, add more hot water for "Americana Style". No cleanup is really needed. No kidding. Just pure, concentrated awesome.

It's better coffee than a French Press and way, way, WAY easier to clean.

Can you tell I'm excited. Aerobie. The flying disk people. Crazy, but it's true.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!! Best cup of coffee!, January 8, 2011
Ok...I read all the reviews and was expecting a good cup of coffee. But, this thing makes a GREAT cup of coffee! Smooth, rich and not a trace of bitterness.

As a long time Keurig user, I was very used to having a decent cup of coffee in under a minute (if it was always left turned on and filled with water). The Aero Press does takes longer, having to use the microwave to heat the water.

Then, I purchased an electric kettle to make the process easier. Oh man, what difference! I can make a double espresso in under 2 minutes, which includes heating the water (that kettle is FAST), assembling the Aero Press and pressing the coffee through! If I want a regular cup of coffee, I just add more boiling water to the espresso (which is great as it gets nice and hot now).

My expensive Keurig brewer has now been decommissioned.

My suggestion: Buy the Aero Press, and get a cheap electric kettle to save some time.

Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good coffee maker, July 27, 2011
I started home roasting coffee about a year ago and was looking for a way to make coffee when I'm away from the house. There are several things that make a good cup of coffee: good beans, a good even grind, proper extraction time, and proper water temperature. What's nice about the Aeropress is that you can control all of these to produce an excellent cup. All of these factors contribute to the final cup of coffee. This product won't make bad coffee taste good, but it will help you make the most of what you have.

The included directions instruct you to use water that is a bit colder than a typical coffee infusion at 170F. Traditional pour-over methods usually are around 200F. I've tried both temperatures and find it easier to use at 200F because water comes to a boil at around 203F where I live and I don't have to wait for it to cool. There are plenty of web tutorials with pictures and video of how to use this product.

Despite the product description, it does not make a true espresso as other reviews have mentioned. It does make a concentrated dose of coffee and you can add water to make it closer to what typical drip coffee produces. In terms of taste, I find that usually a trace amount of sediment gets through usually, but not nearly as much as done with a French press. The paper filter sits at the bottom and I find that rinsing it before adding the grounds helps reduce paper taste and reduces the amount of grounds that gets through. It looks a bit like lab equipment, but does a great job at what it does. It is made with a thick plastic and is not not flimsy. Mine came with a nylon tote bag which I thought was neat, but it is in my opinion too large.

I am a grad student and this makes it easy to make a cup of coffee while out studying. It is easy to clean and is small and light enough to throw in my backpack for when I want coffee and don't want to pay several dollars at a coffee shop. I wouldn't recommend the Aeropress for serving a large group of people as it only makes at most 16-24oz of coffee at a time depending on how much water you add to it. It is good for single serving use and is very convenient. I also find that since it makes a concentrated coffee, it is great for making iced coffee at home. It should be noted that this uses a non-traditional paper filter size and may be difficult to find in a traditional brick and mortar store. I've heard some people just cut them out themselves from larger filters. I'm a bit lazy and just ordered extras. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars AeroPress, December 21, 2011
what a neat little gadget this is. I have used this product for about a month now, and have to say it really does make a great cup of coffee. It is easy to use, and easy to clean. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because after using it for about a month I have decided to go back to my french press. The reason is because I really just prefer the "dirty" coffee to the clean coffee the AeroPress makes. I miss the oils, and the thicker body the french press gives me. I even like the slight bitterness I get from the grounds being present in my cup. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the coffee the AeroPress makes, it just boils down to personal preference. If you don't mind losing a bit of flavor in favor of a crisp clean, and very mellow cup of coffee, then the AeroPress should do fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cuppa joe!, June 13, 2011
We ordered the AeroPress to replace the french press I was using. Wow what a difference in taste! I thought the french press was good, but the AeroPress beats it no problem. Very easy to use and easy to clean and no grounds in the cup, this is the best tasting cup of coffee I have ever had. My son liked mine so much, we bought him one as well, and he is thinking of getting one for his work as well. I generally make a double, pour into my travel mug, add sugar and top off to make a Americano. So easy to make a quick cup, I have not used the press or the other $100 coffeemaker in weeks. This kit has everything you need except hot water and coffee, and speaking of coffee.

Be prepared for your coffee bill to increase as this does seem to take a fair amount of coffee to use. I took a bag of pre-measured coffee from work to use in a pinch, from the bag that normally makes a pot of drip coffee, I was able to make 4 doubles. This sounds like a lot of grinds for a little coffee, but keeping in mind that I add sugar and hot water to mine, this made 4 travel mugs, so that would be right at a pot of coffee. I find that the finer the grind, the better the cup, as the more coarse grinds allow the water to drain through before it is able to get the best taste, the finer grind will keep the water in longer. If you use the finer grinds, you will probably find you are able to make one less shot and still have a great tasting cup after adding water to it. You can use the more coarse grinds, just know that you will be losing some taste, sometimes you gotta have a cup! You will have to find the formula for your best cup, but this should not take more than a few test cups. I recommend making a single or double and finding your dilution ratio, this will use less coffee until you find your taste, then just adjust for the amount of coffee you want. So why the increase in my coffee bill? Because I now drink even more coffee than before! And did I mention NO grinds in the bottom of the cup!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee, but it goes through coffee quickly, February 11, 2011
I purchased this product based on a recommendation from a friend. Previously, I made my coffee using a french press. I loved the flavor of french press coffee, but I hated eating the grounds at the bottom of my cup of coffee.

The Aeropress makes an amazing cup of coffee. Just so you are aware, when you make coffee using the Aeropress you end up with a few ounces of coffee concentrate (i.e. expresso). It is very strong, but it can be watered down to make a pretty taste Americano--smoother than any Americano I have had previously.

The best thing about the Aeropress is how quickly it cleans up. You unscrew the filter, push the plunger, and out pops the used grounds. Simple, easy, and quick. If you want, you can rinse off the filter and re-use them.

My biggest issue with Aeropress though is the amount of coffee grounds required to make a cup. I end up using about 1/3 more coffee using the Aeropress than the french press per cup of coffee. On top of that, since it is a lot quicker to make a cup I find myself making more coffee throughout the day. Both of these combine to me using about twice as much coffee.

All-in-all, the Aeropress makes a pretty dang good cup of coffee, but it lacks a bit when making copious quantities of the caffeinated beverage.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best coffee maker out there, August 29, 2011
Bob Dylan Fan (SF Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
If you want to make the best possible cup of coffee, buy the Aeropress.
There are even worldwide competitions for who can make the best cup with an Aeropress (for example, google Tim Wendelboe, one of the world's leading experts on coffee; he loves the Aeropress).

One tip though, I would modify the instructions that come with the Aeropress, and make coffee this way:
(1) Grind fresh at fine drip or a little finer, closer to Moka.
(2) Use off-boil water, it means about 198 F. I find waiting 1 min after boil is perfect.
(3) Invert the Aeropress (you can google for this, its very common technique) and stir grinds in hot water. Let sit for 45 to 60s.
(4) Flip the Aeropress back around and push it out for 20s.

Hard to make a better cup, and cleanup is a breeze.

5.0 out of 5 stars Find out what your favourite coffee ACTUALLY tastes like!, July 2, 2011
After hearing about the Aeropress from a stakeholder in a coffee roasting company, who also happens to be a coffee aficionado, I found the name of the product (Aeropress??? huh?) intriguing enough to investigate. Lo and behold, when I found the product and read about it's usage and benefits, I was quite interested. My lovely wife decided to buy me one for Father's Day, after hearing me go on and on about it but not really wanting to spend the 30$ on it, just in case.

Boy, am I glad that she did, and in hindsight, I should have ordered it the day I found it! If you were to drink two cups of the exact same coffee, one made in your usual fashion (drip, french press, boiled on stovetop, etc) and one in the Aeroprocess, you would notice quite the difference in flavours and quality from the exact same batch of coffee. All of the extra elements that are added by other brewing methods (over heating the grinds, over extracting flavours) really mask the true nature of whatever coffee you're drinking. The Aeropress takes those away, leaving nothing but the coffee to stand on its own and deliver.

The use of the device is very simple and straightforward, as is it's cleanup. If I start the kettle before I prepare my Aeropress, I'm still waiting on the water to boil by the time I'm ready to go, it's just that fast. Simply add filter, place over mug, ad grounds, and wait for water. That's it, nothing more. Cleanup is also very simple and straightforward. Just remove the filter cap, push puck through, and rinse. It's already mostly self-cleaning given the way it's operated, you just need to "trim up the edges" so to speak!

A few hints and tricks on usage:
- Make sure your grind is fine enough. The finer the grind, the less you'll need, and the less water will seep through the filter before you're ready.
- If your grind isn't fine enough, prime/wet the filter with water before putting it on.
- Since you will be tasting your coffee for what it is, strength, flavour, etc, you may need to figure out what the right mix of water/coffee is for each different coffee you brew. The included measuring spoon and graded sides of the device will help you get it right.
- The included paper filters are fine, and 350 will last a good long time. However, if you want to extract every last drop of flavour and aroma, a lot of which hides in the oils of the coffee, you will likely want to invest in a 3rd party Aeropress Stainless Steel Coffee Filter, which will let the oils through, rather than trap them like any normal paper filter would do.
- The bag, while unattractive, is very functional for people who wish to bring the press along for travel, or storage with camping/RV/boating equipment, and keeps everything together.

This truly is a great way to rediscover and enjoy coffee the way it was meant to taste, and I strongly recommend this for you and any coffee lover you might know. I can tell you that it's already on the Christmas list for a few people I know!