4.0 out of 5 stars Functional but Quirky

1.0 out of 5 stars Split at the seam after light use
Published on September 5, 2009 by selketine

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional but Quirky, June 26, 2008
C. Williams (Brighton, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this bed based on Aerobed's excellent reputation for air mattresses. Almost all of their other air beds actually plug into the wall all night, which is how they stay firm all night long. This bed is intended for situations where you might not have electricity - say, when camping - though the instructions tell you that the bed should "only be used inside." I suppose a tent counts as inside, right?

The pros of this bed: Stayed more firm overnight than any other camping air mattress I have used (Coleman, and a no-name). Bed was clearly made of quality, thick plastic. Air valve had a little thingy to block air from rushing out when you open it. Battery-powered pump was pretty strong, and also would suck air out of the bed when you want to take the bed down. Flashflight was weak, but serviceable. Came with two patches.

The cons: The pump ONLY WORKS when horizontal. If you're setting your camp up in the dark and putting the batteries in the pump for the first time, make sure to put the pump in the horizontal position before turning it on, or it won't turn on. The first night we had to use our friends' pump, which was subpar and only pumped our bed up halfway. This bed was also a little expensive.

Tips: Fill up the bed halfway and let it sit. Then finish pumping it up. This prevents leaks. Keep your pump horizontal, or it won't work.

Verdict: I'm glad I made the investment in a slightly nicer air mattress. This thing should last longer than two or three uses. There's nothing worse than a slowly deflating mattress... and hopefully I won't have that issue with this baby.

1.0 out of 5 stars Split at the seam after light use, September 5, 2009
We had this bed less than a year and used it only a few times when it developed a very slow leak. We finally figured out the seam had split very slightly - be enough to make the bed useless. The bed was gently used so I really see no excuse for it to break. It was comfortable and worked fine until the seam broke. Considering our old Coleman mattress lasted years with a lot of abuse (from kids who jump - who are old enough to not do that now) - I expected a lot more from a more expensive bed.

3.0 out of 5 stars nice mattress, but charger is poor and mis-advertized, March 5, 2010
This is a really nice sturdy mattress, but don't expect much from inflater. The inflater takes 8 c batteries and has poor power (even with new batteries). If inflater had AC/DC adapters to plug into car and standard outlets this product would be 5 stars. I think product description is mis-represented as it states the "included dual-purpose Air Light Flashlight pump, which plugs into your car's DC power outlet" is wrong. The inflater does not plug into car DC as it comes (it only takes batteries). I were rating mattress alone score would be much higher. I'll probably give charger to goodwill since its inefficient, but still think product is a good deal with mattress alone.

1.0 out of 5 stars aerobed used two times within six months of purchase and needs new o-ring but company wont provide just the 0-ring, December 26, 2010
Penny E. Miller "Panelopi57" (Blakeslee, PA United States) - See all my reviews
The aerobed mattress was fine but only used two times within 6 months and the 0-ring broke. Now the company will NOT send me the 0-ring, I must buy the whole big part for 10 dollars and then pay 12 dollars shipping!!! Heck might as well buy a new bed. Company needs to stand behind product better. So, I need one little 0-ring and can't get it. So bed is worthless.

1.0 out of 5 stars False Advertising, April 7, 2010
Just want to repeat what another person said - this has completely false advertising. It is does NOT have a DC power adapter, and so you MUST have 8 C batteries to be able to inflate the product. I can't tell you if it works well once you've inflated it, since I trusted the advertising and do not have batteries in the house. It's an incredible price for an aerobed, but the batteries might off set that mightily!

1.0 out of 5 stars poor design, December 18, 2008
Air Valve is poorly designed by the time you remove the pump and reach in to pull the flapper valve closed the mattress has gone soft. and this was done in a well lighted room, how you are supposed to do this after dark while camping or in the back of a car i don't know.

1.0 out of 5 stars No DC adapter!! Big problem!!, June 8, 2009
H. Kelly (El Segundo, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerobed Adventure Inflatable Bed with Battery-Powered Flashlight Pump, Queen (Kitchen)
I bought this bed as a replacement air mattress for camping. I wanted to make sure that the new bed worked with my car's DC adapter, since my old bed had that functionality and I LOVED it - no need for batteries! Only problem is - this bed cannot be used with your DC connection! The description is incorrect!!! I got stuck up in the mountains with no way to blow up the bed, since I did not bring batteries along. Had to call a friend to bring batteries to me!

Once I FINALLY got the bed blown up, it worked well. Held air nicely and was as comfortable as you can expect from an air mattress. Someone PLEASE fix the description though!! This is major false advertisement!!

4.0 out of 5 stars areobed adventure queensize, May 12, 2010
I've used aerobeds consistently for 10 years now and they are the best brand for air matresses! The aerobed adventure is a little mushy but you dont feel the ground so its doable....the pump didnt work...but i had a regular pump that worked just fine(thank goodness!)...also the pump that came with the bed has no attachment for your car lighter as stated in the description :( ....ive had this bed for about 4 weeks now and so far so good...i use it daily...so i hope i get at least a year of use as with most aerobeds....the longest an aerobed has lasted was 3 years! and that was awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond expectation, February 24, 2013
This air bed is of the highest quality. I bought it for a summer home and guests always comment on its fantastic comfort. It is very easy to inflate and stays inflated unltil I decide to release the air. Battery powered light is a nice addition. Stores away easily as well.LOVE this bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aerobed, August 19, 2012
Product was comfortable and easy to set up. Fortunately, we ordered 2 because one of the pumps did not work.