on February 28, 2013
Color Name: Carbon Classic
This is a good. chair, but I was expecting adjustable arm rests. This chair does not come with that feature, but if you remove a plastic piece on each side of the attachment to the back, you can adjust it to your height to your needs, just not easilly adjustable without getting out the wrench.
on March 19, 2012
I have been using this chair for 3 years now and its been great. The biggest thing about it is getting the correct size. I am 5' 11" 158 lb and I use the size b chair. I had the size C and it was not comfortable. Sitting in the wrong size chair also bothered my back because the lumbar support was all off. Keep that in mind if you plan on getting one.

I also had a base Freedon Task Chair from human scale for a year and it was not as comfortable at this one.
on December 30, 2013
Color Name: Carbon Classic
I have owned and used this chair daily, spending many hours each day in it, for more than three years. I think that gives me ample experience with the product, so I decided it was time to write this review.

Don't buy it.

The Aeron Chair is marketed based on its ergonomics and customizable features. This chair, despite the hefty price tag, does not have most of the adjustability, and unless your body just happens to fit the shape and size of the basic chair as-is, and unless you do not mind the fact that you have no control over the tilt, you will hurt after a while of using it.

OK, point-by-point:

The chair back - in rest position, the angle that the chair back makes with the seat is too great to contact your back in an upright position for keyboarding, so you may find that you will spend most of your time perching on the chair without any back support.

Lumbar support - this comes as a separate gizmo that can be purchased extra, but it isn't furnished with the basic chair.

Tilt - The chair tilts, but you cannot adjust the tension, and there is no tilt lock. I repeat, THERE IS NO TILT LOCK. When you lean back, you will lean back very, very far - too far for comfort. Also, the back is not high enough to support your head or neck when you lean back, so forget using that extreme lean to rest your tired back and neck muscles while on the phone. I found this chair to be extremely hard on my neck for these reasons.

The armrests - are not adjustable. I am a mere 5'8" and they are too low for me, so my arms are completely unsupported. Will yours be? If your arms are not supported as you work, you will fatigue more quickly and your posture will suffer. Other reviewers have mentioned taking the chair apart to adjust the armrests. That's a great hack if you can do it, but I will leave it to you to decide if you have the skill and tools to disassemble the components of this chair to make the arms do what chair arms are supposed to do.

The seat - the much-vaunted waterfall front of the Aeron chair seems to be either loved or hated. After all these years, I find that I hate it. It places much too much pressure on the backs of my legs, and that quite simply hurts. I ended up putting a cheap memory foam cushion on my expensive chair. (Note, I have the fully-loaded, top-of-the-line adjustable Aeron at work, and in this respect, it is no different. I had to get a cheap cushion for that one too.)

The pneumatic height adjustment - works fine. It's nice to have one positive thing to say about this chair.

In summary, the Aeron Chair's reputation is staked on its adjustability and good ergonomics, but the basic Aeron has neither.
on July 30, 2011
Color Name: Carbon ClassicVerified Purchase
I've been sitting in a (slightly fancier) Aeron chair at work for several years now, and it is definitely the most comfortable office chair that I've ever used. I can sit in this for hours without any discomfort.

The basic model lacks easy armrest adjustment. You select the armrest site when assembling the chair, and it requires a bit of disassembly to adjust. Not a problem for me, as I'm the only frequent user of the chair. The version I have at my office has a quick adjust, but I can't recall ever adjusting it after initial set-up. If you'll have multiple people of different size using this chair, this might not be the right model for you.

This definitely isn't a cheap chair (I'm assuming there's lots of profit somewhere in the chain), but I sit in this thing every day, and I'd definitely pay again if I somehow became separated from my chair. Durability seems pretty good -- the one I sit in daily at work looks pretty much new after several years of use.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2013
Color Name: Carbon ClassicVerified Purchase
i had one of these before at my office, so i knew what i was getting when i ordered it for my home office. Just make sure you understand which options you are getting. lower priced model does not come with adjustable arms, which was fine with me, but might catch unsuspecting buyer by surprise at this price point. these chairs are very comfortable and fit for long days at the desk. i love the adjustable reclining tension.
on June 16, 2013
Color Name: blackVerified Purchase
The office has never been the same. I enjoy sitting in the chair now and productivity has definitely increased. There is no real need for the additional adjustments, this basic setup comes with all that is needed.
on October 1, 2014
Color Name: Carbon Classic
Didn't know that there was an option to have non-movable arm rests, found that out when the chair arrived. Seems like a crappy feature to leave off such an expensive chair.
on August 27, 2014
Color Name: blackVerified Purchase
I, like others, didn't read all of the listing to see that this does not come with adjustable arms. One would think, for this price, that would be standard but it is my own fault for not reading in more detail. I was quite disappointed but immediately looked at how they were attached and there is a groove for adjusting. After reading a fellow comment on here that you can adjust them the hard way I got to work. Took about 10 minutes. Take the back off, there is a plastic piece in the groove - it is all one piece and you will need to maintain the integrity of this to secure the arms back on. I was able to just snap off the top of it (about 1 1/2"), slide the arm up and re-tighten and it's perfect. You will need a TX25 Torx to loosen the arms from the track. Chair is great now!
Color Name: Carbon Classic
For those that don't like the lumbar pad or the PostureFit support, it will soon be discovered that the mesh alone is not sufficiently supportive. I don't recommend going with the Basic Aeron model. I recommend watching this brand for the semi-annual sale event. In most years that is a significant sale.

The arm angle adjustment is my next concern. The arms are separated a bit too much for me in the locked position. Also, I like to have the arms up at the highest setting.

There are times when I like to put my feet up and recline, but not that much in terms of percentage of seat time. Most people love to recline when in an Aeron which is not possible with the Basic model.

I've used Aeron chairs for years, and they really work for me. I've been to surgery - do everything to avoid that. The video shows two Aeron chairs in my home - fully loaded lumbar support - my preferred Aeron chair model.
on February 25, 2012
Color Name: Carbon ClassicVerified Purchase
I purchased my Herman Miller basic after having used them at work exclusively for the past 6 years.
While i've got the lumbar model that's a step above this one at work, this model suits me well for home.
I suffered from lower spinal damage (L3- L5), sitting in a chair for long periods can be quite un-comfortable, this
isn't the case with my Aeron.

People often tend to skimp on a their office chairs, often keeping them for years. Most of these chairs aren't rated
for that kind of use and abuse, that's why you get what you pay for. The Aeron is a solidly built, long lasting chair.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations