Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Size: Size BColor: GraphiteChange

on June 28, 2011
This is truly the only disappointment of the Herman Miller Aeron chair (short on no head rest). I'm on my 4th lumbar support and they all have broke where the hard plastic adjuster is molded into the foam pad.
22 comments21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2011
The replacement lumbar pad is already beginning to tear where the hooks emerge from the pad itself. My original one lasted 8 years. This one is on pace to last less than one. Obviously these are not made to the same specifications as the factory ones.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon January 14, 2011
I'm loaded up with these Aeron chairs and like them very much. But you have to wonder why they don't produce a more durable lumbar pad.

These lumbar pads need to be replaced from time to time, like yearly. They get become too flexible and begin to ride up their rails daily. They literally ride up the side rails that hold them every day. Over time, they bend too easily and it's time to get a new one to reintroduce the firmness they are meant to provide.

Why doesn't Aeron (or somebody else) manufacture a lumbar pad to meet the intended use without failing so quickly? This is the weakest part of the Aeron bargain.
11 comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2012
My 10 year old chair had a cracked lombar support, in the middle and just about all the way through. I read about the replacement parts which do not seem to be up to par, not to mention the cost, and I decided to try to repair the old part. Sounds wild I know, but I glued it with a liberal amount of gorilla glue, and put it in a vice to keep it aligned, let it sit for a few days, rubbed off the excess glue, and...that was about 3 months ago and no sign of separation. Now if you sit in your chair all day, your results may be different (I do not), but so far it has saved me about $50 since I had the glue already!! Give it a try!
33 comments11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2011
I've had the same experience as others report where my back support tore. Seems to be made pretty cheaply as it is just two hard plastic parts embedded in some foam. Over time the hard plastic tears through the foam. Pretty disappointing for such and expensive and otherwise wonderfully constructed chair.
on June 3, 2013
I read all the good and bad reviews and figured if the lumbar support lasts me at least a year then it's a reasonable investment. My main purpose for writing this review is to tell you that this lumbar support bar has lasted me less than 6 calendar months and was not even used daily.

My first (original to the chair) lasted a couple years and broke where the plastic met the foam. The replacement lumbar just tore in half this afternoon. I'm not even sure when it happened, but I'm definitely not purchasing another one.

For the extra $25, I'm going to try this product next and hope that it lasts me longer than a few months:
Aeron Chair PostureFit Support Kit by Herman Miller - Official Retailer - Graphite Size B
on March 13, 2014
Rather than replace mine and wait for the new one to fail as well, I repaired mine with FiberFix 1" repair wrap at http://www.amazon.com/FiberFix-1-inch-Repair-Wrap/dp/B00B28Z2AC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394730774&sr=8-3&keywords=fiberfix.

The 1-inch FiberFix roll was longer than the indicated 40 inches. I recommend unrolling it and cutting the full length in half with a box cutter before wetting one length at a time. Wrapping around several times with 100% overlap (1" total width) worked well for me and looks okay. The repair seems very strong with no give so I hope it's permanent.

I'd first tried Scotch Extreme Hold duct tape but it didn't conform to the shape of the pad and so didn't hold tightly at the edges.
on September 18, 2013
I bought my Aeron new about 18 months ago from the Phoenix HM vendor. The first lumbar pad started "flexing" at the two connectors causing it to repeatedly fall out and it was replaced under warranty in about March 2013. Six months later, the replacement is now cracking where the two connectors meet the pad and will be replaced by the local, Phoenix HM vendor next week. The local vendor's repair manager told me that to his knowledge they have never had any complaints about these lumbar pads. He suggested that I also call HM to let them know my experience and I did so. Unfortunately I need the lumbar support for a bad lower back, so I guess I'll just hope the new replacement will last longer.
on February 28, 2015
This is cheap foam and broke right in the middle already.
on March 10, 2013
It appears to be common for the connectors on these pads to tear through and I use my Aeron chair for a couple of years with a broken one. The replacement pads are a bit pricey but, now that the proper support is reinstalled, the chair does give noticeably better support. The investment is worth it if you spend a lot of time at your desk.