5.0 out of 5 stars Very Bright
Published on March 17, 2011 by Minty Fresh

3.0 out of 5 stars Haven't had to use it yet
Although I haven't had need to use it yet, It is bright and can be seen at a good distance. Although not easy to see, there are markings for (-) and (+) so that you can correctly connect the charger.
Published 17 months ago by Kenneth Thomas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Bright, March 17, 2011
Minty Fresh (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aervoe Led Road Flare (Sports)
The main reason I purchased this item was to use on rescue calls for my personal vehicle.. I was amazed how bright this is and at night you can not use it on your dash while driving or it will blind you, it has a very strong magnet that will attach to your roof.. It has 9 different flash patterns even a SOS but I maily only use the rotating or the triple flash which resembles a strobe light.. It is visible during the day enough where it gets attention but in night time use it is extremely bright, it already comes charged and lasts up to 60 hours and is rechargeable.. I would highly recomend the product to anyone working around traffic it gets their attention!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap insurance, October 11, 2012
This review is from: Aervoe Led Road Flare (Sports)
I've only had this LED flare for a few days. It is certainly an attention getter. It has a rechargable battery, they recommended charging every three months when not in use....(and u can leave charging indefinitely w/out damaging the unit if u chose). U can charge in a wall socket or car.

Its hefty to hold and the housing feels like it could take serious abuse. In fact, I've broken a few lights during accidents on my mountain bike and will consider replacing the next broken one w/this LED flare.

The "on" button is not colored and is not readily found ...neither are the positive and negative poles clearly identified for recharging. I remedied this by marking the ON button and the polarity of the charging stems w/a permanent maker so there are no issues in low lighting conditions.

The magnet is strong and I like the fact that it is waterproof.
In addition to road flare, I may be taking this hiking should an emergency arise that would require being found quickly. If I were a boater, I'd have half a dozen of these babies on board - they float.

There is not much of a shoulder on some of the highways around here. This could save a life while changing a tire or while rendering assistance to another stranded motorist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, confusing., February 24, 2013
This review is from: Aervoe Led Road Flare (Sports)
Well, it works nicely once you get it going, and I used it once when I was pulled off to the side of the road. The only thing is it isn't so easy to even turn it on, and in an emergency situation that could be an obvious problem. However, the bright LED and strong magnet mount are great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable and amazing Powerflare Alternative not a knock-off. I fell in love with a hockey puck., December 30, 2012
==EDIT==
Upon receiving the rest of these flares I have noticed that many are lemons. I bought two, one of them worked fine. The second one, the screw terminals were stripped before I opened the package and one of the screws was halfway unscrewed. I couldn't screw it back in because there was nothing holding the other half (flat circular screw head, no philips or flat-head, just a flat circle) from twisting. The charger on one of them also broke and wouldn't charge them up any more. I got a replacement, when that arrived it wouldn't turn on (they usually arrive with mostly charged battery I guess) so I tried charging it and it wouldn't charge at all. Just completely dead, but it would light up when the charger was attached. Amazon was out of stock so I couldn't get a replacement, I returned two of the three.

So based on this I would say if you get a good one they're great but if you get a lemon they suck. The cheap chargers are also a limiting factor.

====

The thing I love about this flare is that it is so versatile. Originally I wanted one solely for road use and figured i'd use it maybe once or twice a month. After getting it, I realized how wonderfully useful it is. You can mark things for other people to see, hang it on your backpack at night to stay visible to other people. Put it on your bicycle at night or during the day. Mark the street when you're clearing snow off your driveway. Throw it in a pool (they're all waterproof) for fun, or just play with the damn thing. Its so useful, and honestly, it's pretty fun. Everybody else also loves it and asks where I got it from. If you're on the fence, get one. You'll end up with more soon, in every color.

I wanted to get a road flare for my car for when I pull over to help get people out of snow drifts. Looking at this flare online it didn't look very durable, or good at all honestly but it is! I eventually learned about the Powerflare® brand flares, which supposedly were the original design. They come in more colors and a slightly different case design. The typical Powerflare model are also not rechargeable but last longer on a single battery. Many people say the Aervoe is a cheap knock-off of Powerflare. The Aervoe road flare is designed in Gardnerville, Nevada which is close to where I live, but they are manufactured in China. They are NOT a cheap Chinese knock-off. I said that the Aervoe flare is the Pepsi of LED road flares. That's true because it lives up very well to the original, and like Pepsi, I don't consider the Aervoe to be a knock-off of the Powerflare, but rather a "second standard" and alternative depending on your tastes.

Powerflares seem to be made slightly stronger and with better rubber on the case. I haven't seen one in person, but this is what I have gathered from reading about them. They have a higher waterproof depth rating, and they are slightly lighter, too, but I think the same dimensions over all. I really wanted an original Powerflare, I like that they're made in the USA, and the original brand always seems to be better quality but the product is $50-60 each and I just wasn't feeling it.

That said, the Aervoe LED Road Flare #118x design is the Pepsi of LED road flares. It's not really a knock-off, it's more of a "second standard" in road flares. It closely resembles the original Powerflare in design and function, but is still slightly different (maybe inferior, maybe not) to the original product in a few ways. It also has a couple of benefits over the original Powerflare, too.

One thing I almost didn't notice is that the original Powerflare does not have a built in magnet for attaching the flare to a car or post. The Aervoe road flare does have a built-in magnet. It is actually pretty strong, I would guess that it's about an 8lb pull neodymium magnet. 8 lbs of pull is pretty strong for something weighing around half a pound. That's effectively 16 lbs of pressure on the flare, which is good. The problem is that the magnet is recessed into the casing of the flare, and the 16 rubber wings on the outside rise up from the top of the flare about 3mm so you can never actually get the magnet to touch metal on any flat surface. Curved surfaces or small surfaces however, you can get full connection with the magnet. Because of this, the effective magnetic strength of the flare is reduced to probably about 3 or 4 lbs which is enough to hold it in any orientation, even upside down, easily, but not enough to make it feel super secure. This is a benefit because without this gap you couldn't place the flare on the road, because any impact would shatter the fracture-prone magnet easily, as would placing it on a surface too roughly, plus this eliminates scratches.

The Powerflare does NOT have a built in magnet.

You also cannot drive with the flare mounted on your car solely by magnet, as the flare will be bounced off as the car vibrates. That's true of anything though. You need a much stronger magnet to overcome that force, maybe 50 to 100 lbs or more. Luckily the flare has 16 strong tie-in points including one big enough for a large non-load-bearing carabiner. These can be used to tie the flare to the car, or loop it around your antenna, and then the magnet will keep it from bumping around while you drive.

This Aervoe road flare is incredibly durable. When I saw it online it looked like nothing, but holding it in my hands it has thick polycarbonate shell wrapped in a blue (the color I purchased) rubber coating that is very shock absorbant and protective. There are two large machine screws holding the lid and body together. They shunt most of the weight straight down through the flare and away from the center of the housing so it can withstand large lateral forces on its flat sides, and be run over by a truck. There's videos of this. The screws also act as charging terminals, and you can disassemble the flair for replacing LEDs, customizing it with colors, changing LED angles, or replacing the rechargeable battery with another, or a regular CR123A lithium battery. The rubber O-ring seal is very tight making this waterproof and buoyant, just like the Powerflare original. I have thrown this in the air, chucked it at things, tossed it in the street, rolled it in the street, and everything and it has held up without even a scratch. The 16 fins each have a little hollow rubber tube that acts as a shock absorber and a tie-in point. I have no problem throwing it on the road or anywhere else. When it dies in a long, long, time, it won't be because its physically damaged that's a promise.

I haven't held an original Powerflare but the designs are very similar, almost exactly the same. The main difference is that the 16 fins radiate outwards straight on the Powerflare, while they radiate in a curved pattern on the Aervoe. This doesn't affect the light pattern because the ends of the fins are straight anyway, the curved part is only on the flat sides of the flare. The Powerflare also doesn't have a built in magnet, like I already said twice. I'm pretty sure the cases are made by the same companies in China. They both have essentially the same flash patterns. The Powerflare rotating pattern (like and old siren) has 3 lights rotating while the Aervoe has 2. And Aervoe trades one of Powerflare's strobe patterns for a second useless 'flashlight' mode.

Powerflares come in more case colors and more led colors. They have Green, Blue, White, Red, Amber, Infrared, and combinations of colors for the LEDs, and black, olive drab, tan, green, white, red, orange, blue, pink, hot pink, yellow, and some others for the case color. You can get any case color with any LED color. The Aervoe flares come in Amber (Red), Yellow, and Blue, with a case color matching the LED color. The Aervoe blue case color is actually much darker and more pleasing in person than it looks on the website. It is much closer to the blue Powerflare on their website. Remember that blue is the dimmest color because of LED technology. Red/amber is the brightest color of road flare so don't be disappointed. Red/amber flares are the best choice for daytime road use (and the only legal one in many states). They are also the most visible color from a distance according to the NHTSE. That's why regular pyrotechnic flares are that color.

The individual Aervoe flares cost around $20-25 each depending on the color, website, etc. The Powerflares cost between $50 and $60 depending on the colors, etc. You can get easily twice to three times as many Aervoe road flares as you could Powerflares. And the fact that Aervoes are rechargable means you don't have to buy the expensive CR123A lithium batteries at around $2-4 each. Both are easily better alternatives than actual road flares, although maybe not cheaper depending on how often you use them. You'll end up using it alot more than you anticipated, though. It's incredibly useful for everything imaginable. Like a swiss army knife. You never knew you needed it until you had it in your hands.

The Aervoe road flare is designed in Gardnerville, Nevada which is close to where I live, but they are made in China. They are not a cheap Chinese knock-off. I said that the Aervoe flare is the Pepsi of LED road flares. That's true because it lives up very well to the original, and like Pepsi, I don't consider the Aervoe to be a knock-off of the Powerflare, but rather a second standard and alternative. Like colas, are, however, many knock-offs based on the Aervoe and Powerflares. Don't go with any of them. They're horrible and although similar, the two originals are the best. Comparing the Aervoe to the Powerflare, Aervoe meets or exceeds every single point that I've had the opportunity to compare them on, but it's still not quite the "original." I don't know if the Powerflare is necessarily any better or not in terms of quality or craftsmanship, but given the huge price difference I'll buy the Aervoe road flare any day. That's interesting, too, because I'm a coke man.

5.0 out of 5 stars fully charged ready to go, May 10, 2013
This review is from: Aervoe Led Road Flare (Sports)
chose to give the flare 5 stars, the product was 98% fully charged and is bright from the Get-GO, it comes with a small case and strap works great for storage and when Flagging traffic and also comes with a charing dock with AC plug and DC (vehicle) plug for at home or on the road charging..

i have 7 others and i use them for personal and also work related situations. i keep 2 for my vehicle (passenger and driver doors) and then i have 6 more for any situations.

I WILL RECOMMEND THIS LED FLARE!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very useful item, June 30, 2013
This review is from: Aervoe Led Road Flare (Sports)
I bought three of these and have found them to be very useful and even playful. They are light, durable, magnetic, floatable, and colorful. Though they cost considerably more than the candlelike pyrotechnic flares they are capable of replacing, they are much safer and last much longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel Gure, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Aervoe Led Road Flare (Sports)
I received these two flares in a timely matter, first time I had to use them was during my trip to Houston and I had to pulled over on the side of the highway due to a flat tire, I was able warm other drivers from as far as half a mile, the rotating blue & red LED's kept others drivers aware of my emergency and they all pulled over to the middle lane to avoid me. I even had a gentleman that pulled over to help me out and he was blown away by the power these two flares had and he asked me where I had bought them. I'm very please and I will order another set for my wife's car...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very bright, perfect for an emergency., May 6, 2013
This review is from: Aervoe Led Road Flare (Sports)
This came charged and working well. I hope I never have to use it, but is nice to know it is there.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product highly recommend, December 6, 2012
This review is from: Aervoe Led Road Flare (Sports)
Use these to mark an entrance turn into a function in a rural setting. Worked great. I can see these will be very useful for many things, marking my home for a party or delivery or in an emergency on the road.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flare, October 31, 2011
This review is from: Aervoe Led Road Flare (Sports)
The item came as described and more then in description and pictures, received in perfect condition, everything was wrapped and package perfectly. Would purchase again..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›