4.0 out of 5 stars A light romantic murder mystery with a strong heroine
Published on June 25, 2007 by Tana L. Reeve

3.0 out of 5 stars Same old formula, but this time very dull
Published on July 8, 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars A light romantic murder mystery with a strong heroine, June 25, 2007
This review is from: Affair (Mass Market Paperback)
This Regency Romance features Miss Charlotte Arkendale who was betrayed by her stepfather and forced to make her way alone in London with her 14 year old sister. She creates a business for herself - looking into the affairs of potential husbands for spinsters and widows who have recently come into money to ensure that the men are worthy of marriage. She wants to save them from the fate of her own mother's terrible match with her stepfather. When one of Charlotte's clients, Miss Drusilla Heskett, is killed, Charlotte feels that she must investigate the murder to ensure that the murderer was not one of the suitors that Charlotte had advised her to reject. Baxter St. Ives is also investigating Miss Heskett's murder - and Charlotte is his prime suspect. I really enjoyed this light romantic murder mystery. Charlotte is a heroine with a lot of backbone and almost no fear.

4.0 out of 5 stars 100 different books or the same book 100 times?, May 30, 2005
This review is from: Affair (Mass Market Paperback)
It's said that Amanda Quick, a.k.a. Jayne Ann Krentz, has written a huge number of books ... is it a hundred?

After reading three of her works, I have to wonder ... has she written a hundred different books or the same book one hundred times?

I picked up "Paid Companion" by chance at the library; loved it. Reviewed it here.

Then I went out looking for Amanda Quick books; picked up "Wicked Widow." It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as much fun as "Paid Companion," and it used many of the same materials as found in "Paid Companion."

I thought, okay, I really enjoyed "Paid Companion;" let me give this author another try. I did, with "Affair."

I can't say what I'd think of this book if I had not read the previously mentioned books, but I had, so ... all I could think was, I've met these characters before; I've read these scenes before; I've read this exact same dialogue before.

The heroine is a spunky, high-born virgin who has lost her fortune because of nasty male relatives. The hero is unconventional but still very manly behind his glasses. The same intimate acts are performed, and they climax with the same exclamations.

There's even the same villain who makes the same appearance in the same costume at the same masquerade ball.

I know that genre novels are supposed to minimize surprises in order to maximize readers' comfort, but I find it really strange to encounter a series of men in Regency England who say the exact same thing upon completing intimate relations.

In any case, Quick is obviously doing many things very right. She does write sparkling dialogue, she does keep the plot moving along briskly, and she does create heroines a woman can like, admire, and cheer for.

I enjoyed the Quick books I've read so far, but given how similar they are, I don't know if I need to read another...although, given how much I enjoyed "Paid Companion," if someone here sends me an email saying I have to sample her favorite novel before I give up on Amanda Quick, I promise to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!, June 9, 2001
This review is from: Affair (Mass Market Paperback)
I have just finished this book and I found it very different from anything I have read so far. Firstly, the hero is (surprisingly) a scientist and this is already a difference. I was surprised actually and quite expected to find him not quite up to the Adonis kind of hero but he proved to be just as capable as if he had a title to his name and was rich. His dry wit was amusing and his fustrations very understandable. The herione, as independent and reckless as ever, was just as funny. I love the way that Amanda Quick can turn males and females who might not be perfect in looks into memorable characters that you'll never forget. I think that it's always refreshing to read about characters who are not always so perfect in every way to understand that not only true love can happen when you are attracted to looks but everyone has their own inner beauty and you just need to discover it. Another effective mystery in the book though it was a bit easy to solve but the process which they hero and heroine took to solve it themselves was just as great. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Affair is a Grand Story, June 22, 2000
This review is from: Affair (Mass Market Paperback)
Amanda Quick has once again managed to enthrall readers with her own unique style for historical romances. The characters in Affair are perfect and the plot is breathtaking. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a story this much.
Charlotte Arkendale is a young woman who is making her own way in the world. She supports her younger sister, Ariel, and provides a service for women. Charlotte investigages possible suitors for women to ensure they are not rakes and wastrels.
Baxter St. Ives is a man that lives through his work, science. Baxter is a true scientist who conducts experiments with objects and people.
Baxter applies for a job as Charlotte's man of affairs in search of a blackmailer. Charlotte also insists upon looking for evidence in the murder of Drusilla Heskett. Through a series of events Baxter and Charlotte team up to investigate the death of Drusilla and try to stay one step ahead of the murderer.
The story is funny and innovatively written. The supporting characters are also delightful. The ailing butler Lambert and Baxter's extended family are a source of comic relief in the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of the _Affair_..., July 23, 2000
This review is from: Affair (Mass Market Paperback)
... is just the begining of a world of wonderful stories by the talented Ms. Quick. If you have yet to read a book by Amanda Quick, I seriously envy you... you have many discoveries yet to make. _Affair_ is one of my top Amanda Quick books. Yes, it is similare to all of her other books, but that's what makes this author a comfort read. You can read one of her books and be assured to have enjoyment.
The Hero: This time around, our hero is Baxter St. Ives. He is the illegitament son of the Earl of Esherton. Because of all the gossip that inevitably surrounds him, Baxter learned early on to retreat to his labratory. In doing this, he became a man of science, thoroughly engrossed with his experiments. During the time of Napeleon, he was with another of his scientist friends. Together, they had created an acid that burned flesh. Baxter's partner, Morgan Judd, wanted to betray England and sell the potion to Napoleon to help him win the war. Baxter wouldn't allow it, and he spilled all of the acid and took the recipe with him as he set the labratory on fire and fled. Assuming Judd was dead, Baxter went on his way to live peacfully within his labratory once more. Until his aunt came to him for help. Her best friend had been murdered, and she suspects a woman of being a murderess and a blackmailer. Reluctnatly, Baxter agrees to help his aunt. In doing so lead him to...
The Heroine: Who happens to be Charlotte Arkendale, the woman whom Baxter's aunt suspects of killing her best friend. Five years ago, Charlotte and her sister, Ariel, were sleeping in their house. Charlotte was awakened when their stepfather came home drunk. She heard some confussion outside her sister's door. Grabbing her father's unloaded pistol, she went out to investigate. It turned out that her father owed the man that was with him a lot of money, and to pay off his debts, he was selling Ariel's virginity to the man. Charlotte forces them out of the house with the pistol. The next morning, their stepfather is found dead. Charlotte is forced to make a job for herself, and makes an unsual carrier. She investigates the pasts of gentlemen who are thinking to marry women. Her last client was Baxter's aunt's best friend, and she feels it is her duty to find out what happened to her last client. When she and Baxter meet, sparks fly, and it leads to...
The Affair: Charlotte and Baxter decide to join forces to find out who the murderer was. As they get closer and closer to the murderer, a love forms between the two. But, can they stay alive long enough to be truly happy?
I truly enjoyed _Affair_. Because it is a romance novel, the end is never in doubt, but that is one reason I enjoy romance so much. Baxter and Charlotte were wonderful to read about, and I do believe Quick was at her wittiest in this book. Baxter often unkowingly said some amazingly romantic things. My favorite quote is as follows
*Charlotte* Baxter, are you ill?
*Baxter* Very likely. If I am, one thing is certain. You are the only one who can supply the elixer I require to cure the fever.
The only thing that dissapointed me in this book is that I found the mystery to be quite easy to solve. In all of Quick's other books, I was guessing until the end. But, with _Affair_ I had a susspect in my mind right away. Don't get me wrong, I still wanted to keep reading, if only to see if my guess was right. So, if you are a book fan, I highly recomend this book to you. It is guarenteed to give you hours of enjoyment while supplying you with a nice lite story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, sweet passion and fun!, August 7, 2007
This review is from: Affair (Mass Market Paperback)
Doing the happy dance for the nerd scientist hero! Baxter St. Ives is a bastard by birth. His father (on his deathbed) asked Baxter to shepherd his younger half-brother Hamilton, the new Earl, and manage the finances. Not going well, sadly, as Hamilton is understandably resentful of this tight control. To add to Baxter's stresses, his aunt's friend has been tragically shot dead! His aunt asks Baxter to disguise himself as Charlotte Arkendale's man-of-affairs, as she suspects the somewhat mysterious Charlotte played a hand in this foul murder. Oh, it's a right stew of intrigue, murder, suspicion, villains, and pride-filled brothers cavorting all over the place. Charlotte instantly sees through Baxter's meek-mannered disguise, although she's perplexed as to why no-one else can seem to. That's a very fun theme running through the whole book. She and Baxter do team up to hunt for the real murderer, who seems to be gaining in dark power. The use of alchemy and chemistry here is fascinating, and Baxter's nerd side mesmerizes Charlotte. He's also completely inept and graceless in his manner, which leads to humorous, vexing emotions in everyone before things get resolved. Quick at her classic, clever best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same old formula, but this time very dull, July 8, 1998
This review is from: Affair (Hardcover)
I was quite disappointed with this novel. I went into it with high expectations and I was ultimately disappointed. I've only begun reading Quick this summer and I'm fairly new to the romance genre. I thought Quick did an excellent job with her older books but this one was decidedly flat. Everything was loosely tied together, and the tone was impersonal all throughout the novel. Quick did not convince me that Baxtor and Charlotte are greatly in love with one another. There is obviously lust, but no sense of deep, heartfelt love. The two characters seem to fall together in the end only because they both wanted to escape a life of loneliness. Although Quick did allude to the two as being destined to be together, I did not get the impression that their love is close to the binding of souls.
Baxtor does not fit into the ideal hero category. He's a scientist with a very methodical mind. He's inclined to keep all chaotic emotions out of his life and he does not welcome the disruption that Charlotte has cause to his peaceful and dull existence. Baxtor could have been devastatingly alluring with his keen intelligence and quick wit, but he comes off as being insensitive, hard, and clumsy. His character does seem to mature close to the end of the novel, but by then it was too late to develop any great affection for him.
Charlotte's character was more developed than Baxtor's, yet not nearly enough. She is an optimistic, bright and independent woman, but I could not establish any connection to this woman all throughout the novel. Quick failed to develop her character throughly and I did not know enough of this woman to call her a friend or to invest much of my emotion in her relationship with Baxtor or her little adventure involving the investigation of her client's murder. Quick could have done better if she had focused more on character development, the budding love between the two characters, and the inevitability of their love.

4.0 out of 5 stars smart guys are sexy, June 26, 2002
This review is from: Affair (Mass Market Paperback)
ok, let me start off by saying that since this guy is super into chemistry, the reference in his point of view regarding alchemy, chemistry, chemicals, experiments does get a little overbearing. but other than that, baxter is one sexy smart guy. one of the best things about this story is how the heroine helps this "bastard" resolve his family relations. course amanda has used this ploy before in her books. but it stills works for me. the only problem with this book is what i mentioned at the beginning. the plot is good & the story moves fast so you stay interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amanda Quick delivers another delightful regency novel, April 15, 1997
This review is from: Affair (Hardcover)
Many fans of Amanda Quick believe that the talented author can not come up with anything new to get her audience chuckling. However, leave it to the quick-witted writer to introduce two unique characters living in Reg
ency England where one size fails to fit all, especially when it comes to this pair. This places the misfits in the middle of a serio-comic who-done-it that leaves the readers laughing while enjoying a romantic mystery.
Readers will find this novel is very refreshing and delightful romp that demonstrates the Quick magical touch.
..... Charlotte Arkendale needs to hire a new man of affairs. The individual must be discreet and able to blend into the woodwork since the job requires inquiries into the background of males to see if they are trustworthy
in order for her clients to marry them. Applying for the position is Baxter St. Ives, who Charlotte believes is a tiger hiding in a domestic cat's persona. Still, she hires the apparent bland individual at the insistenc
e of her sister and her housekeeper. However, Charlotte's gut reaction to Ives turns out right because he has a hidden agenda of his own that forces him out into society when he would rather work in chemistry lab.
Baxter's aunt, who truly cares for the lad and he for her, believes that Charlotte murdered her best friend. Baxter accepts the job with Charlotte to check into his aunt's belief. Very shortly after that, both invest
igators conclude that they are dealing with the same ruthless and deadly enemy, who will stop at nothing to silent the pair. The woman who distrusts men, and the man who distrusts emotion find themselves in a combustible
chemical mix that is ready to explode.
...... Amanda Quick is delightful in this fun to read Regency romp.Affair has all the qualities that ensure it a spot on the bestseller lists:quirky and endearing characters, a fun to solve mystery,and characters that seem like old but dear friends.A definite keeper

......Harriet Klausner

2.0 out of 5 stars same old, same old, December 2, 1997
This review is from: Affair (Hardcover)
One of the most telling things about the quality of the plot and characterization in Affair was that I could not even remember the storyline the day after I finished it! It was so vanilla pudding and such a regurgitation of Quick's former plotlines that I was bitterly disappointed. I'm beginning to think Quick has lost her touch in coming up with original new storylines -- her last 3 books seem like repeat television shows. I'm a little tired of women who are only spunky and honest and men who are strong, silent and misunderstood. The same applies to her books written under the pseudonym Jayne Ann Krentz -- only a few are worthwhile. None of this stops me from reading Seduction, Scandal, Surrender and Reckless over and over. Stick to earlier Quick books -- they have better plotlines and more interesting characters.

Affair (Abridged)
Affair (Abridged) by Amanda Quick (Audio Cassette - April 14, 1997)
Used & New from: $0.45