5.0 out of 5 stars A Venture Into The Self
Published on September 24, 2001 by Michael Stephens

2.0 out of 5 stars Religious
I bought this book since it was quoted in another self-help book I had read and enjoyed, but this book was a little too religiously oriented for me to benefit from.
Published 19 months ago by V. Fitzpatrick

5.0 out of 5 stars A Venture Into The Self, September 24, 2001
This review is from: Why Am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am? Insights into Personal Growth (Paperback)
Any person who desires to understand himself in regard to personal growth and relationship with others must read this book. I have read and reread this book and use it to counsel others. Powell deals with the topic of human growth and development with acute precision and accuracy that informs a picture of the well-integrated, whole individual. He communicates this person in the honor of the image of God, not in a preachy tone but such as to reflect the dignity of humankind and his own vast understanding in religion and classical studies. He also touches at the nerve of why individuals mask themselves from others and the care and caution that we as counselors need to take in dealing with these people. His catalog of games and roles is so descriptive that even emotionally healthy persons can identify the weakend emotional tendencies that characterize their life. The principles in this book can be communicated to adolescent and adult alike. Simply indispensable.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the richness of authenticity and honesty in life-READ IT, December 6, 1999
Barry O'Connell (London & East Anglia) - See all my reviews
This book literally changed my life. Reading it has allowed me to understand some important parts of who I am - without being afraid anymore. Now, while there are things I keep private, there is nothing in, or about, my life that I would be embarrassed by people finding out. I recommend this book to all my friends, have loaned it to many, bought it for some and quote it to all. A must read again and again, which is made easy by its' concise and accessible format. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and get this book; maybe even get them a copy - NOW !

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Fully In the Moment, March 30, 2002
For many years, I wondered why some people abruptly shifted their eyes away from my eyes. I also wondered how it would be possible for me to acquire the charisma that I admire in many public people.
This book is the answer.
People who shift their eyes from my eyes fear that if I notice who they are, and if I don't like who they are, they won't be accepted, because, to them, that is all that they have. I learned that those people have a self-concept that is based upon anticipating what others will think of them.
And to become as charismatic as those I most admire, I've learned that by first accepting everything about myself, I am free to emulate them, without losing myself.
This little book has so much information for anyone who desires to be their best.
Read this book to become more than comfortable in your own skin.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've given away every one I've owned..., May 29, 2002
This is one of those books that can change your life. It was given to me by a dear friend , and I turned to it when my life made no sense. It helped me make sense of my life then, and it still makes wonderful sense today; 20+ years later. I have "passed it on" to many people and will probably do so as long as it's in print. I hope that this one will stay in my library, but if not, I know it will serve a purpose for someone that I care about - A great book to help you help yourself.....

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life..., February 7, 2000
It opened me the door to the world of understanding the interpersonal communication, understanding my own feelings, desires, needs,...I read a lot of John Powell's other Books (this was my first) and they all impressed me and helped me a lot by personal growth. I found in them a lot of answers or confirmations of my feelings or thoughts, I felt I am not alone,... They helped me to see a direction when having problems in my relationships,... So i consider it for a great honor, to be able to write a review first...summary in few words: "Thank you, John Powell!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Will teach you how to analize yourself, June 13, 1998
By A Customer
You are lucky that this book still is in print. This book is one of the best things you can read if you are lost between reality and fantasy. This book will guide you through discover why you are the way you are and how you can be what you want to be. This book is one of the many keys that will teach you how to be yourself and no one else. Don't be afraid to buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars why i am afraid to tell you who I am, June 11, 2010
highly reccomended the author of this and other books is very thought provoking, with just the right amount of humor to help you see the light and guide you to take that fork in the road. I appreciated the book so much I am trying to find all his books to take camping with me...

5.0 out of 5 stars Meaningful During Times of Crisis, July 27, 2010
I read this book in 1977 during a difficult divorce and it provided insight into my human condition and difficult times I was going through. All his books are wonderful and very insightful. It helped me grow

2.0 out of 5 stars Religious, February 9, 2013
V. Fitzpatrick (new york, new york United States) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth giving a look, November 29, 2005
This book does have some worthy insights, however the author tends to pigeonhole people into oversimplified categories according to the "games" they play to get their needs met. In real life however, I think people are more likely to fall into various roles, or games, at different times in their lives. Something about the presentation seemed just a little pretentious, too. The author sometimes appeared to think he was giving away some secret bits of information, heretofore known only by him or a few select others. This left a bad taste in my mouth. Nonetheless, some of the information presented was very valid, and at the very least the book serves as an excellent reminder that we are all afraid of rejection, no matter who we are. But we are not all "losers", in spite of the games we play; I don't think the author gives enough emphasis to this fact. In addition, I think that sometimes life is just what it is, and looking at it like it is some kind of game is of no useful value whatsoever. Watch out if you think you are having some kind of "aha!" experience, as it will be short-lived.

Why Am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am? Insights into Personal Growth