1,285 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not spectacular Still very watchable...
Published 14 months ago by D. Molder

2.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical Will Smith movie
Published 18 months ago by Kelly

2.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical Will Smith movie, June 21, 2013
I'll try not to give the plot away but my overall opinion is that this is a mediocre rental at best. I had high hopes for this movie as I'm a fan of post apocalyptic movies and futuristic movies. Adding Will Smith's good acting to the mix had me thinking this was a sure hit. Unfortunately-the movie follows his son Jaden Smith, whose acting skills are less than stellar. Will Smith does start out in the movie with a majority of the scenes but 15 minutes into the film and his exposure is cut to a him communicating with his son through basically a wrist walkie talkie. He is not involved in any of the action sequences in the movie and Jaden Smith's acting skills are not developed enough to carry a movie in my opinion. I can only assume he was cast in this movie as a favor to his father. Will's performance as a strict futuristic military type father is just ok as his character is supposed to come across as a very strict-almost unfeeling father and yet it's just stiff acting at best. And again-Jaden Smith's acting is just not all that good in my opinion. He just lacks believability to me but he's young and I have hopes he'll master the trade as his father did.

While there are a few "creatures" in the movie-so much more could have been done with the premise of this movie yet the focus was generally on Jaden Smith's character rather than diving into the evolving of creatures on this planet. If you are looking for a movie with a lot of action and sci-fi special effects-there are a few but this film falls short of what they could have done with this storyline. If you're looking for a film with a deep meaning intertwined with the plot-this is not it. If you're expecting another great film showcasing Will Smith's impressive range for acting-this is not it.

What you'll get is a movie starring Jaden Smith and a few shots of Will Smith as he speaks to his son through the radio communication device (so you hear his voice a lot). It's not an awful movie but not the best and definitely not worthy of box office prices. At best this is a rental-but keep in mind that you will watch this and realize there were better rentals available.

Just for reference-I'm not a picky reviewer and like a lot of films that seem to get bad reviews. I also still enjoy films with stellar special effects even if the acting isn't the best. This movie just doesn't have that for me. I think watching 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, Battleship, or John Carter is time better spent.

1.0 out of 5 stars bringing a sword to a shower fight, October 2, 2013
This review is from: After Earth (Amazon Instant Video)
I don't know why they still give M.Night Somethingsomething yet another chance to make a movie. One horrible piece of garbage after another.
So you have M. Night's talent for producing utter trash 10 out of 10 times, then this pathetic idea of promoting Will Smith's son just because he is Will Smith's son even though he can't act better than a paper bag, plus you have a script that must have been written by someone completely stoned out of his mind and the result is predictable - disaster.

To give you an example for how bad the script is - the entire movie rests on the concept that in order to fight the evil aliens you have to be able to control your fear, because that controls your body odors. Because the aliens are blind and can only kill you when they smell you. Are you still with me?!?
So this is supposed to be a hard sci-fi movie, with a human civilization that has mastered interstellar travel, large-scale terraforming and faster than light communications - but they have to fight some aliens - with swords!
And therefore they have to walk up to them - and they have never considered just wearing a suit with helmet that would just contain their odor. Or, you know, use weapons that.. are not SWORDS! They do have odor-containing plastic bubbles to protect their children when the aliens attack, so they are aware that this is a concept that would work - but no, they put their children under the bubble and then the parents go and fight - with SWORDS!
Not a laser gun, or even just a rifle or - heck - even a crossbow would do, since the aliens are actually quite vulnerable (to swords...).
No, it has to be a sword so that there can be an entire movie about Will Smith's son carrying his father's blade and then finding his own and learning to control his body odor in ways other than just taking a shower or wearing a suit and helmet.
This is how incredibly dumb a piece of nonsense this is. Now imagine adding M.Night Shalala's directing and Jaden Smith's "acting" and you understand why this will go down as one of the 3 or 4 worst movies of this decade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not spectacular Still very watchable..., October 8, 2013
You know, there are many reasons people rate movies poorly other than the movie sucking itself. I think unfortunately because of M. Night Shyamalan as a director and Jaden Smith as the main character, whom most people feel has his career in acting due to his fathers clout, this movie has been received with a bit of negative Bias. Now, I have seen some pretty sorry movies over the years. If you ignore the bias and look at the movie objectively without consideration of cast and crew, this wasn't a sorry movie. The very first part of the story is a bit weak. Not enough character introduction was shown to get you involved in the characters lives. I am thinking the scenes that lead up to the son's dismissal were cut leaving a gap that isn't properly explained. It gives no visual representation of why Kitai (Jaden Smith) was cut from the ranks of the graduating rangers. Probably due to the finished product of those scenes not meeting the quality requirements. they were probably not filmed again due to costs. Other than this, the acting was watchable and the story (A survival story) was good and reasonably believable based on the level of technology shown during the movie and the amount of time in the future (Enough time to develop faster than light interstellar travel, find a new world to live in, run from a hostile planet that had evolved in many ways to kill humans and live 1000 years after that time). In other words a distant future. The special affects were good and believable enough to keep you involved but not spectacular.

The theme of the story is the understanding that fear is not real except in ones mind but danger is. That you can overcome the danger if you overcome your fear and learn to think clearly instead of letting fear cause you to panic and ultimately cause you to make a very fatal mistake. Not a bad survivalist way to think and live. I think the story gets this point across nicely. General Raige's son Kitai learns this as he goes to retrieve the second emergency beacon in the tail end of the crashed ship averting many dangers and barely surviving some. The ship is approximately 2 days away. Kitai's father is struggling to stay alive with 2 badly broken legs, one with arterial damage. The large bird part of the story is a bit hard to believe but, I guess it could be possible if these animals have had the time to evolve and become more intelligent. The final fight with the Ursa was done well. It brings a climax and nice ending showing the theme to the movie in action. That's what I saw. Judge for yourself, renting here in HD is only $5.99 with tax. Hope this review helps people decide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good movie, July 13, 2013
I'm sorry to say I paid full price to see this movie in the theater. I felt robbed. I love science fiction and I am a Will Smith fan so what could go wrong? Everything. This movie was slow and the characters were not likable. The acting was horrendous and the plot....was there a plot, I can't remember I was so bored. I'm sorry to say I will never get that hour and a half of my life back. I'm giving it two stars because the special effects were decent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hey, it wasn't THAT bad!, September 28, 2013
Upon it's release, I initially avoided After Earth like I would a pack of rabid baboons. Terrible critic reviews and middling audience feedback gave me the impression that this promising-sounding sci-fi was another one of M. Night Shyamalan's recent streak of bad films.

When I actually watched it on DVD (thankfully, on our HD TV), I expected the ABSOLUTE worst, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the movie was NOT a miserable trainwreck. It wasn't great, wasn't classic. Wasn't even entirely awesome. But, as I begrudgingly had to admit, After Earth was the first watchable Shyamalan movie since Signs, nd not a *bad* movie...

That having been said, the movie had flaws big enough to drive Shyamalan's ego through. The dialogue was *absolutely* cringeworthy. Laughably serious, terribly mundane, and cliched in that way that only pulp sci-fi can be ("It has found you."), it had that joyless quality that only Shyamalan can bring. The acting was little better.

Will Smith is dead serious, and as stern and commanding as the world's most humorless general. The gravitas was still there (That "Take a knee" line is strangely moving), but without his usual charm and charisma, Smith Sr. seemed to drag the movie down like a guy who had both his legs broken. Oh, right...
Jaden has no real reason to be here (other than his father being in the same film), and we all hoped for a stronger actor, but he managed to be....watchable. Juuuust watchable, not extraordinary in any way. Though there were scenes, such as his climactic fight with the Ursa, where just a little of his father's talent and screen presence can be viewed in him.

Other cons include the plodding pace the movie accepts at times, and the looong time it takes to get off the ground (literally). And the "What the--?" accent everyone is using. No, seriously: What the--?!

...

But prepare to be amazed when Shyamalan just shows you amazing stuff: a group of men jogging underneath a bloodred sun, herd of bison roaming over hills, a lush forest under the sky, a volcano floating flakes of ash down from the sky, a troop of monkeys running through a rain forest. The CGI was not the best I've ever seen, but the creature design and amazing cinematography really made up for that.

As a huge animal lover, I was majorly entertained any time some wierd and wonderful animal came onscreen. The fact that sabretooths and giant vultures exist is absolutely ludicrous, but ludicrous in that suspend-your-disbelief-and-take-it-for-what-it-is way. Love the monkeys, but weren't there okapi's in the trailer?

The landscape itself became a supporting character (again - the whole rainforest freezing thing is ludicrous, but passable). The cinematography was, at times extraordinary. That volcano fight at the end was gorgeously shot, and, I am ashamed to say, somewhat moving (being the only moment in the After Earth that I could actually label "cool" or "awesome"). The biggest surprise for me was the score by James Newton Howard, which made sit up straight and go "Whaaaat? This movie has a good score? I gotta get this on iTunes!" And mention has to go to the costumes and tech, and for being the first sci-fi movie that has wood and cloth interiors rather than chrome and glass, which was pleasantly original.

And hey, that speech about danger and fear is some profound stuff, man.

...

Conclusion:
CONS: Dialogue abysmal and laughable. Acting joyless and stiff. Story unoriginal and pace plodding.
PROS: Stunning visuals, amazing cinematography, excellent score, costumes, and set design.
My rating? I give After Earth a solid 3 stars - not great, not awful. All that negative reception is understandable, but not wholly warranted. This is not a classic for the ages, but rather, a pleasantly enjoyable night at the movies!

P.S. The like and dislike buttons are NOT for stating whether you agree or not with the reviewer: the comments section is for that, but rather stating whether the review helped you choose purchasing the movie. That being said, I'd love to hear what you thought about the film in the comments below! Cheers!

1.0 out of 5 stars So, so, so bad, November 9, 2013
This review is from: After Earth (Amazon Instant Video)
This was one of the worst movies I have seen. From the rediculous/terrible set design, to the horrible accents the Smiths were using, my eyes were sore by the end of the movies from being rolled during every scene. Even for free, this movie is not worth it, let alone paying for it. New lows for M Night Shyamalan.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ouch! What a terrible film - embarrassment for everyone involved in it, October 29, 2013
Seth J Messing (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Earth (Amazon Instant Video)
This is a terrible sci-fi waste of time featuring wooden acting by Will Smith and truly awful acting by his son. Entirely forgettable trash, poorly paced - whose idea was it that it would be interesting to have Will Smith break both his legs and spend the entire movie on the radio or lost in uninteresting flashbacks that add exactly zero context we couldn't guess at already. Some half-way decent special effects, but not really all that impressive even there. Why does it matter that they've crashed on Earth? It could have been Planet AZ-49c for all the plot impact it has. Not a single original plot element that I could detect.

1.0 out of 5 stars nepotism is alive and well in hollywood, October 4, 2013
This review is from: After Earth (Amazon Instant Video)
I wish I could give my son the gift of a 200M budget movie to try an launch his career.
hollywood lives in a different world than middle america.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Not for the Light of Fright!, November 30, 2013
This review is from: After Earth (Amazon Instant Video)
It was surprisingly captivating from start to finish. I only recall one curse word, and there was no nudity! The unexpexted surprises was too much for my six year old. He didn't make it past the 2nd scene of the movie when one of the air mates jumped in front of the camera screen out of nowhere. But, if you can handle the out of nowhere surprises, suspense, drama and breathtaking violence of alien creature vs. man's survival, then by all means, this is the movie to see! Definitely great movie for Sci-fi enthusiasts, and can be appropriate for elementary students 8 & up depending on your child. My husband and I watched the movie first before we decided if appropriate or not...which was no big deal to go upstairs with my six year old and read him one of his favorite books!

4.0 out of 5 stars i liked it, November 7, 2013
This review is from: After Earth (Amazon Instant Video)
You are either going to like this movie or hate it...no in between. Probably would not say it is great but I thought it was actually pretty cool. At least 3.5 stars and I gave it 4. I also came in with low expectations because I read so many bad reviews for it. Regardless, I thought the sci-fi and special effects were cool. I also liked the whole father/son thing.

After Earth