5.0 out of 5 stars Swept along by the story
Published on November 29, 2012 by CJ Romanczuk

Published on January 21, 2013 by Blaltimore Phil

3.0 out of 5 stars A bleak, brutal tale of facing life in an unfavorable economic environment .., January 21, 2013
This review is from: After The Fall (Kindle Edition)
Although, this saga is about the loss of memory, it has the sad element of living on the edge. This is a tragic tale of how a moddern society too often handles unfortunate lives. Funny, I thought for a moment I was reading a Dickin's novel. Futile endless job searches, unhelpful helpers, creation of a permanent underclass... I guess I'm getting carried away. I think you get the drift. Now, as for the story, it does have an unusual twist and turn. Actually, it made me rethink some of the characters' past interactions with unexpected revelations. For example, I was ready to critique how aggressive Nate was toward Conner upon first meeting( Nate impulsively kisses Conner after a memory group meeting). However, given later information I revised my view by seeing a subconscious element. Admittedly, some passages could have had a bit more clarity. Confusion started occurring when Nate was unable to figure out his identity.Perhaps, too much was going on at once and I became lost in some of it. Alright, the bottom line? Would I read this again? No. But, it does keep you curious to continue to the end. Surely, you can't beat the price. It's not super but not that bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swept along by the story, November 29, 2012
This review is from: After The Fall (Kindle Edition)
This story just pulled me in and kept me hooked. It made me wonder what it would be like to wake up and not remember anybody. This was no short sweet story about meeting and then living happily ever after. Told from a first-person perspective this tale was filled with interesting characters and down-to-earth problems. The story just kept unfolding and I couldn't stop reading it! If you like J.L. Merrow, you will love this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, October 25, 2012
This review is from: After The Fall (Kindle Edition)
After The Fall is a wonderful story about a man, Connor, that is struggling to regain some hint of what his life was like before losing his memory in an accident. Despite having a wife, job, and friends from his "former" life, Connor feels out of sorts as he tries to get his life back on track. Then he meets Nate at a support group and is fascinated with him from the start, much to the displeasure of his wife and co-workers. Despite trying to put his life back together, Connor can't help but feel that something is missing-that secrets about his former life are being kept from him and he begins to dig into his past; what he finds there is very unexpected.

I was delighted with this story from the very first page and read it all in one sitting. The characters, even the ones that I wasn't very fond of, were very richly written and interesting. I think that this book was very under priced at $0.99; it was interesting and riveting from beginning to end. I am looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one memorable gay romance., December 21, 2012
This review is from: After The Fall (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoy this gay romance and yes I agree with other reviewers that this is worth so much more than $0.99. The plot is most original and hold my interest from beginning to end. I just have to know what happen next. I like that Connor and Nate are just ordinary guys. But of course their lives as a result of a terrible accident are far from ordinary as they navigate through the consequences of memories loss. There is just no easy way out for both of them. Their helplessness in the face of joblessness and not knowing who they are is so well conveyed. The ending is one revelation and I disagree with another reviewer that regaining their memories would make this one a better story. I enjoy the bleak and brooding atmosphere the writer has created in her story which fit the guys' predicament so well and add so much credibility to the plot. There is no magical solution here. But the guys have each other and therefore hope to move forward. Definitely looking out for more from this writer. There are typos as it is self published but nothing to complain about. This is one memorable gay romance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but weak plot points., December 2, 2012
Spoiler alert.
I don't usually write reviews but I was struck by a glaring fault in the story line. How does a person with complete amnesia remember his email address? The fact that Nathan could check his pre-accident email really bothered me because the conversations between him and Connor were a key plot point. Also the premise of both main characters having amnesia was a bit hard to swallow since retrograde amnesia is an extremely
rare condition. There were also some glaring editing errors and misspellings but that is not unexpected for $0.99.

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-the-top-impossible, July 23, 2013
This review is from: After The Fall (Kindle Edition)
2.5 stars, rounded up to 3.. because I'm in a happy mood ;)

I find it rather difficult to rate this book.. The story premise is unbelievable at best, the writing, though, was decent enough.

Enjoyable, kind of, if you are able to graciously ignore the downright excessive and overdone plot, which is filled with such an amount of coincidences I can't even begin to say how borderline impossible this whole thing is.

-->SPOILER ALERT:

Two amnesic men meet in an support group and fall in love, yeah, so far so good. BUT them being "coincidentally" former lovers who were both in a car accident involving a bridge collapse, after which they were transmitted to different hospitals, and both of them suffering from retrograde amnesia?! Yeah, not so much. Not to mention all the stuff inbetween this fantastic (as in fantasy, not as in great) story.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this book despite all the impossibilites, but I've had better. So.

4.0 out of 5 stars A story about real life and happiness versus contentment, May 27, 2013
This review is from: After The Fall (Kindle Edition)
After the Fall is a realistic story about real life in a desperate economy. It's harsh and bleak while still being beautiful and occasionally darkly humorous.

A reoccurring theme throughout is happiness versus contentment and what both of those really mean. While After the Fall didn't initially register as being one of my favorites, I still find myself thinking about it even months later.

This is a book that reminds the reader just how difficult life can be while still managing to give hope that happiness, love, and a brighter future are still within reach.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little hard to swallow., January 13, 2013
This review is from: After The Fall (Kindle Edition)
I think this author has great promise. I fell in love with the characters, and the story as well enough written to keep me reading till the end. But the fact that BOTH characters have 'retrograde amnesia' is a bit hard for me to swallow. For the first half of the book I thought there was some ulterior plot going on that didn't materialize. Taken as a fantasy situation it's interesting, but given that FULL retrograde amnesia is so rare in real life I have a hard time with there being not just two, but a whole "support group" in his town. The ending of the book is very predictable but didn't stop my enjoyment. But what did is several important plot points are never really explained. The most major is how on earth does Nate know his email address, when he doesn't know anything else about himself. Did I just miss that?

3.0 out of 5 stars good story, December 17, 2012
This review is from: After The Fall (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book from the beginning. I just wish it would have ended with them remembering their lives before and the love they shared. It would have rounded out the story better. All in all it was a good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Tale, December 16, 2012
This review is from: After The Fall (Kindle Edition)
I debated on giving this 3 or 4 stars because I felt this story was lacking something. To give the benefit of doubt to the author though, I settle on 4 because it is a good story and I was able to read through it without too much of a problem. But it is kind of depressing and I was easily able to put it down in order to do other things. It did not drag me in and make me feel that I was a part of the story.

One thing that I really did enjoy was that the M/M love story, while an important aspect to the story, did not dominate the plot. There were other aspects to the characters that kept the story moving.

If you enjoy M/M stories then this book is for you.

After The Fall