Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

Afterglow
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$11.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 31, 2012
Legendary producer Kevin "Caveman" Shirley put the rock guts back into Rush in the 1980s when they started to get too keyboard and synth oriented. Guitarist Alex Lifeson was asked to ditch the reverb and Neal Peart the electric drums. The problem being addressed was strikingly clear and indicative of the Eighties. "The songs had no "balls," Shirley said. "They were thin so I was hell bent on making a heavy record." No such issue befalls his Black Country Communion project. The Anglo/American hybrid is unfairly stacked with talent even by supergroup standards. With Zeppelin, Sabbath and Deep Purple in its bloodline, their latest release "Afterglow" (out Oct. 30) is all balls; blunt force blues/rock trauma from both sides of the ocean. Fellow Brits Jason Bonham and Glenn Hughes combine forces with guitar legend in the making Joe Bonamassa and Dream Theater's Derek Sherinian for a hard rocking experience rarely seen since its golden age in the early Seventies.

Like its predecessors, the 11 track compilation starts out with a bang and then keeps exploding for another 53 minutes as Bonham channels his inner Zeppelin alongside Hughes' massive vocals and Bonamassa's scorching Les Paul.
It's difficult to label BCC. Part English, part American, blistering rock and hardcore blues. It doesn't really matter how they are categorized. If you're looking for a classic hard rock experience, there is no need to sort through your vinyl collection.

For an exclusive interview with Joe Bonamassa and al the latest music news VISIT: http://highoctanemusicnews.com/
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 1, 2012
In a popular music world of Lady Gaga's and other musical crud, these guys continue to keep REAL Rock & Roll alive, and for that we are grateful! This cd rocks in every sense, from the first song "Big Train", to the last "Crawl", each song has more contrast than even ther previous 2 statements. Congrats to Kevin, Glenn, Joe, Jason and Derek for another outstanding release, and please, please guys- continue to create rock music in a seemingly dying musical genre. This cd isn't leaving my car player for a long while!(Shame on the reviewer / punter with 1 star, indeed!)
on November 1, 2012
Is this a BCC record, or a Glen Hughes exercise in self indulgence? For me, this record
starts to go a bit into the wrong direction, those tough 70's hard rock riffs
on the first two releases being replaced with something more along the lines of 80's
hair band tunes. I love the fact that there's still a band out there doing blues based hard rock today, and while I still dig these guys, I have to say their previous releases were
much better. This sounds more like a 1985 Glen Hughes album to me. Hughes vocals sound good
thru most of it, although a bit strained in parts of some ( "Circle" has an almost nails-on-
a-chalkboard screech in some parts that kinda flaw that one for me). Always liked Bonamassa, but some of his solos (not all)on this one seem alot shorter and a bit "phoned in", as well as some seeming somewhat buried in the mix this time...bummer. Could have used
his vocals on more than just one track too, to help with the whole Hughes dominated feel
of this one. I did think Bonham was still kickin butt, and the album is still alot better
than most stuff being released these days. I guess after the first two, I was just expecting
a bit better...
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 31, 2012
This is an AWESOME cd by BCC, and the best yet..I dig all of BCC's work, but this takes the cake and the person who gave this a 1 star rating is flatout of their mind..
on November 4, 2012
It only took two albums, but Afterglow finally shows BCC delivering a stellar album! There are a lot of songs to like on the first couple of albums such as Black Country, Medusa, Save Me, Crossfire, and Song Of Yesterday, but Afterglow really shows the band hitting their stride. Joe Bonamassa sounds really relaxed and loosened up and his playing is more rock than blues which is a good thing! On the first two BCC albums, he sounded standoffish to rocking which I think held the band back making Jason Bonham, Glenn Hughes and Derek Sherinian work a lot harder at reminding the listeners that BBC is as much a hard rock band as it is a blues based rock band. But Afterglow also shows the band taking more musical chances which has improved the songwriting a great deal. The album reminds me of what Led Zeppelin was doing with Physical Graffiti and what Deep Purple was doing with Stormbringer and Come Taste The Band back in the mid 1970s. I have listened to Afterglow quite a few times and I am about to start listening to it again. Glenn Hughes has never sounded better and Jason Bonham has done his dad proud. Derek Sherinian is definitely carrying the torch started by the late Jon Lord and everyone is starting to gell. I have read about the drama in the BCC camp recently and I hope that it all can be ironed out so that this band can be around for another 4 or 5 albums. It is hard to pick a favorite song on the disc because each track is a killer! There are a long list of classic rock artists who are currently making the best music of their careers, and Afterglow is an album worthy of that list. Pick it up today!
on October 30, 2012
Now, this is what I am talking about. Best effort yet. Glad to see these guys moving forward. When they first came out, I thought it was just gonna be a one off deal. I was hoping they would work together more. So this is there third effort. While I liked there first two efforts, they just never left the mark for me. I knew that these heavyweight players hard more to offer. Afterglow puts them over the edge.
I have been following Glen Hughes since the early 80's. Jason, was first introduced to me through his band Bonham and the song Wait For You. Joe I have been following for the last few years, and while he has never took me by storm, he has always captured my attention. This last year has been very good for Joe musician wise.
Afterglow, to me, has captured the element they have been chasing. By that, I mean all these artists these days are wanting create that 70's atmosphere. To be able to do that in this modern age and get fans (new and old) to be able to buy into it, is tuff.
If I could give this 4 1/2 stars I would. Again, Joe's vocals are missed. The guys has a great voice and compliments Glenn very well. As can be heard on Cry Freedom. On the second effort we heard more of Joe. Would have liked to again, but to be fair, Joe probably likes just being able to focus on playing guitar. I would give a breakdown of the songs, but I am not. I seem to favor the later half of this release. There playing as individuals shine on this all over the place and will be jamming this out in the truck for abit. Again, best effort yet and excited to keep listening.
on November 21, 2012
I love these guys, but something seems out-of-balance on this CD. There seems to be too much Glenn Hughes and not enough Joe Bonamassa - vocally, compositionally, and lyrically. Something doesn't seem right with the production either. I normally like Kevin Shirley's production, but this CD doesn't sound quite right. I'm not sure if was something in the recording, the mixing, or the mastering. Bob Ludwig did the mastering and he's a legend. Not sure what else to say except that is feels kind of like a Glenn Hughes solo album, not a BCC album. Maybe the CD will grow on me as I listen to it more. Bottom Line - I still love these guys!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2013
It's difficult to adequately summarize this album for anyone who's not familiar with this band, but I can say with high confidence that there is something here for everyone who enjoys Blues-oriented Rock. This is a ridiculously talented group of musicians and their musical chemistry really shines on this album, which is a shame considering it was their last.

For me, there are no filler tracks on this album, it is solid from start to finish. In today's world of picking apart albums and selling them off as individual songs through digital sales I applaud bands who make albums like this one that stand as a cohesive collection of music to be listened to as a whole. I could list my favorite tracks, but after looking at the tracklist and trying to pick out a few standouts it's nearly impossible, but I'd have to say the ones I just can't get enough of are "This Is Your Time", "Cry Freedom", "Afterglow" and "The Circle" but honestly I hardly ever put this album in just to single out one of those.

As someone who's written several reviews here and has always appreciated a good track-by-track review of an album or at least the ones that dig deeper than just a 5-star review with brief comments as this one has turned out to be, I just can't bring myself to dissect this one.
Just buy it already and enjoy it!
on November 18, 2012
I've been listening to Glenn Hughes since Trapeze. I loved when he was in Deep Purple.
Burn is one of the best hard rock albums of all time! I think he has one of the best
voices in rock history. His songwriting is so diverse between hard rock funk blues
that nobody can touch him. His music history should be as big as anybody in rock n roll.
It's ashame more people don't know him. Joe Bonamassa really is extrodinary as usual.
I hear so many Gary Moore influences in his style and playing but maybe that's just me.
Bonham and Sherdian are awesome as well and the band gels so well together. The fact
they recorded this live and in a few days is amazing. It would be ashame if BCC doesn't
record another album as rumors are they have broken up as Hughes and Bonamassa seem to
be having a war that Bonamassa is spending too much time on solo career which I agree.
How many people get to be in this situation? he could do both but BCC should be his
first priority or just do the solo thing. BCC should be touring and promoting album.
Music this good shouldn't go to waste! come on Bonamassa your the luckest guy on the planet!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2012
My first album was Help from the Beatles, I was lucky to be able to grow up when music was fun and put a smile on your face In High school the battle of the bands, Turn on the radio and hear Free, Cream and Jethro Tull with a little BAD COMPANY thrown in. Today's music has lost something it's music with out a soul..cords and words no feeling..Black Country Communion music has brought back the smiles..the feeling of what we grew up with... it's nice to be able to come home.. if just for a while. Afterglow BCC best album to date, it's something we all need.. something to put a smile on your face...5 Stars
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...