Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on October 31, 2012
As a more casual gamer, I never really understood the necessity of wearing a headset while playing on the Playstation Network or Xbox Live. The Afterglow headset definitely helped me cross that line. I have become familiar with several other gaming headsets through my roommates and other friends, but never was impressed enough to pull the trigger for a pair of my own. I am very happy to have had these given to me as a gift, because I may have never experienced them otherwise.

When it comes to sound quality, as an owner of a pair of Bose QC Headphones (which coincidentally crapped out on me right after the one year warranty expired) and a pair of V-Moda Crossfades, I am very particular and value headphones with crisp, clear sound and solid bass. When I first took this set out of the box, I plugged them directly into my iPod rather than my Xbox. I was astonished with the sound quality, something I didn't quite expect from a pair of headphones built primarily for gaming. Although I still take my Crossfades out the door with me (they are a bit more streamlined) I have found myself using my Afterglow headphones as my primary music listening headphones while at home. The sound is fantastic whether the volume is cranked up or you're listening at a whisper level. Vocals are very clear, and it is easy to separate the sounds of instruments in the music or footsteps and gunfire while gaming. While they are not noise-cancelling, the quality design of the headphones helps block out a fair amount of outside noise, which I find to maximize the sound experience.

One of the most attractive features of these headphones is the inner headband design. Unlike anything I've worn before, at first I was very skeptical of the suspension style strap. I quickly found that it maximizes the comfort of the headphones, while also eliminating the need for the more common click-slide size adjusters (which I now find irritating) found on most other headphones. This headband makes it so there are no noticeable pressure points on the headphones, which is ideal when you find yourself on a multi-hour gaming or music bender. All other headphones that I have used extensively begin to irritate my ears or head after a couple of hours, I have yet to experience that with this set. Additionally the earcups are large enough to fit my oversized ears comfortably without being bulky, a compromise that I generally find lacking in most headphone designs. The only other notable design feature is the retractable microphone, a great feature which makes these headphones a lot less clunky than similarly priced gaming headphones, without sacrificing any quality. Other than that, the design is very effective, nothing too flashy, but much more than you would expect for the reasonable price.

Another feature I find extremely valuable about these headphones is the multi-platform capability. Unlike many other gaming headphones, these are compatible with all major platforms, something that is very useful as all of my roommates/friends seem to prefer different gaming platforms.

Overall, I definitely recommend these headphones for the casual to serious gamer who is looking for a lot of bang for their buck. I have yet to have any issues with this Afterglow set, and would definitely be interested in hearing what people have to say about the wireless set, which I'm sure will be my next gaming headphone purchase when the time comes. Comfortable design and great sound quality make for a great pair of headphones. The lighting effects are just a bonus! Hope this was helpful.
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2012
Having used many headsets over many consoles, i can gladly say that the afterglow headset can be placed on the top of my list. The sound quality is amazing compared to other headsets at its price and can even be compared to headsets twice the amount paid for it. Every game I have tried with these did not disappoint with the sound quality i received. The only problem I had with them was the tightness I had when I first used them. But after a week of using them they started to mold and fit snug around my head so it wasn't really a problem.
on January 16, 2013
I will revise this review after I get some service from PDP. I'm a female gamer so it fits my head just perfect alittle big in fact, this is the first headset I have ever owned like this and was a gift from my mom for a late Christmas present. after receiving though is where the 3 stars comes into play I need an adapter cable for it to work on my PS3, that is not provided with the headset you have to contact PDP, so I did like the book said call the 1800 number I called it and got told to go to the website to file for my adapter piece, then just for the heck of it I hooked this headset to my brothers xbox to see what the sound quality was like on there surprise surprise I need another adapter since both systems are HDMI linked and not hooked up with the original cables this piece is needed and in the book it says after you call it's free and 2 days shipping, issue is it's 2 day shipping from when they get your ticket so if they don't get it for several days you don't get to have optimal game sound till then. All in all if you hook your systems up with HDMI be ready to not use your headset for awhile unless you have the original cables ready like I did for my PS3 but also be ready to go down in visual quality for better sound. I will again revise once I receive the items needed to let future buyers know how long it will take.

Ok so as I said I would revise if I received the adapters and I have so my review on this is WOW !!! I never received a message back from the company they just sent the adapters, not a bad thing at all but it does show they are working on customer service just make sure you file the claim ticket at the right place on the website. The sound quality is AMAZING !!! it takes some getting used to if your like me and never had surround sound headsets before. you have to do some adjusting to the sounds and from what I can tell mine are backwards where it says chat it's actually the game and vice versa but it's not a big deal since I know that's the issue I just adjust from knowing that. if you have any issues hooking up your headset don't get frustrated go here( [...] )they have instructional videos for all electronics, plus they will tell you where to go to file your tickets for the adapters I would really recommend these if your really looking for a quality item and to block out sound.
on December 14, 2013
After reading reviews about how these are too small for heads I noticed they were all written by guys. That lead me to the conclusion that they might be the perfect size for a female and I was right. I use these on the computer for mmo's. They fit snugly around the ears without being too tight. The suspended strap eliminates the annoying traditional adjustable headstrap. Sound in is decent, love the game vs voice sound control option. I use to basicay mute all the sounds in my games cuz I couldn't hear on vent over the game, this fixes that problem. People tell me the microphone does sound a bit tinny compared to my old one. Overall these are a decent pair if headphones especially for a female who's looking to upgrade and just needs a new pair. PS girls....the blue color is real pretty too :)
on December 2, 2013
I bought these headset on Black Friday. After a few hours of Ghost, Gameplay and Battlefield 4.

Pros
Audio Quality is good,
Bass Boost Mode is Excellent.
Afterglow Lights are Pretty

Cons
Can't Hear Voice Chat with Game Audio All the way up or mid volume.
Voice Chat Volume, controls game sound and not Chat Volume, can't hear team mates speak.
Even with a small head the headphone feel tight with the plastic straps they use to hold down the rubber.
The Big ass plastic on top of the rubber make the design look crappy.
Can't manually Adjust head strap
on November 9, 2012
I am not normally used to wearing headphones, but when my gamer son recommended I try his new Afterglow Universal Wired Headset - Blue, I was sold. Not only do they look totally cool with the glowing blue light (especially awesome in the dark), but they feel fantastic, almost too comfortable to take off. "I will never wear annoying ear buds again," claims my son and now I understand why. Plus the sound quality is terrific. My hearing's not great so with Afterglow on I go high on volume and low on disturbing the family. Everybody's happy. Finish off with the fact that these are so very affordable compared to a lot of other headsets on the market that I'm inclined to think we should all have our own!
on December 27, 2013
This headset deserves a two because 1. u cant adjust its size so its meant for people with smaller heads while i have a larger one. (Note i got this as a Christmas present.) I wear glasses and the fit on this is so tight that wearing glasses with it actually hurts and after gaming for about 3 hours for 2 days i felt the bone on the area above my ear and realized the bone was pushed in. Along with that, i felt lightheaded from how tight this thing was squeezing my head. Audio quality though is amazing. Wire is too long though
on November 19, 2013
These headphone are simply as cool in sound as they look. The audio response is just awesome, both in games on the PS3 and on the Computer. I was so impressed with them, that I ordered a second set. Now I have one for my music and one for my PS3.
I'll most likely order another set for my Home Entertainment System as well.
Just an excellent sound.
I highly recommend this audio headgear for both music and game lovers alike.
on March 24, 2013
First off, this headset feel sturdy and seems to have great quality for the price. I purchased this headset because I read a lot of good reviews on the sound( I have to agree with them). The sound is good for the price,no doubt there.

The reason behind giving this headset 4 stars is because the build quality felt solid, the sound was good and it was comfortable( at first).
So, yes the headset is comfortable but only for a short time if you have a larger head shape. The ear cushion materials are soft and feel nice around the ears. The problem, however, comes from the headsets dual band suspension design. It is not adjustable and I knew that even before buying it of course, but that design in particular really doesn't give much room for larger heads.

The second flaw that I experienced was with the sound cutting out during gameplay and emitting an ear-piercing ringing. So I had a defective headset, it happens. I am not going to dock a star for that.

All in all the discomfort was the big factor. Good materials but a poor choice in design despite the Steelseries Siberia V2 pulling it off quite well( The dual band suspension that is).

Recent News: PDP unveiled the upgraded version of their afterglow wireless headset at CES 2013! This headset will be called the Prismatic and will be launched this month, thats right, March 2013... So they said. But we will just have to wait and see. This upgraded version features a traditional adjustable headband to relieve the older models problem as well as have a plethora of colors that can be cycled through on the earcups!
on February 8, 2014
These headphones have fantastic sound and fit fantastically on me! I can wear them comfortably for hours! However I should note my husband, who has larger than average head, cannot really wear them comfortably (it works, but he says he wouldn't wear them for longer than an hour or so tops). My head is smaller than average and I think they fit better than most other pairs I have had.
Good sound, great sound from the mic, and universal. I also think the blue lights look really cool when they are in use. :)