5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great quality at a reasonable price.
Published on October 9, 2012 by Gregory Madore

After over five months of using the Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset, it's time to find something else.

Published 17 months ago by John W. Trainer IV

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great quality at a reasonable price., October 9, 2012
This review is from: Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue (Video Game)
While I neither own, nor play, any of the modern game systems that this device is targeted for, I do have quite a lot of experience with headphones and with consumer electronics. I looked at the sonic qualities of them in use as a traditional headset and I did not evaluate the microphone at all. If you are looking for a review from a gameplayer, this is not it, but if the same level of quality went into the design and implementation of the microphone as it did the sonic quality of the headsets, I think it will be perfect for even the most finicky gamer.

FIT AND FINISH

Physically the headsets have a bit of a Tron-like look to them, which may not be perfectly suited for the average 30+ year old. Thankfully the designers provided several different illumination settings for the headsets. I promptly set the illumination to be disabled -- no need to waste precious battery life.

The overall fit of the headset wasn't perfect. Having it be adjustable would be a very welcome feature for those of us that have a bit bigger noggin. The ear cups didn't sit flat because they were a bit on the tight side. I ended up rotating the headband toward the back of my head and thankfully the cups can be rotated to fit your ear angle. This provided a mostly comfortable fit, but still no where near as comfortable as it could be if even slight adjustment was possible.

SETUP

Getting the headsets set up was fairly straightforward. Plug in the USB dongle to the back of your computer or game console, connect the audio output using the 1/8" mini-plug or one of the adapters provided, power on the headsets and let the dongle and headsets pair up. Instant wireless audio. The quick setup documentation left a lot to be desired, but there is a much more thorough user's manual that outlines several key troubleshooting steps as well as how to setup more complex home theater systems should you run into issues.

MUSIC PLAYBACK

THE SETUP: I sat down with a very eclectic selection of music ranging from Classical Mozart (Symphony Number 40 if you'd like to know) all the way through Journey, Dave Matthews Band, Nirvana Unplugged and Disturbed (needed something with some overdriven guitar). I've listened to several wireless speakers and headsets and I was definitely impressed by the quality of sound being generated by this sub-$100 WIRELESS headset. I was listening to uncompressed digital versions of the songs from the original retail CDs and in all cases the Bass was tight and highs were sharp, just the way I like them.

Every now and then with the more "layered" pieces, things got a little muddy with the woofer overtaking the rest of the mix and causing some sharp drops in the mid range. For example during the Dave Matthews Band song "Tripping Billies" the intro has a heavy bass drum hit over the top of the sax and violin, there was a noticeable reduction in the amplitude of the mid/higher end range of the sax/violin to accommodate the very loud output from the woofer. Wanting to investigate this more, I hard wired the headsets into the source directly and that eliminated this problem. It appears that it may be a result of some compression needed to provide enough bandwidth for the wireless connection but only the manufacturers can really confirm that. What I was noticing was something that is commonplace when listening to compressed audio and for most consumers it is a non-issue. I just wanted to indicate here (for those that care about such things) that there are some subtle differences when listening wirelessly compared to listening with a wire but it is very minimal and for casual use won't be a problem.

LITTLE THINGS

The volume adjustment on the headset was a welcome addition as there are times when you do want to adjust that output just a bit and don't want to have to grab a remote or wake your computer to do it.

With regard to the alternate modes that are available on this headset, all of my comparative tests were conducted using the "Pure Audio" setting. There are two other options which the manufacturers title as "Bass Boost" and "Immersive". When Bass Boost was enabled, the bass was sharp and generally undistorted, but overly heavy for music. This might be a desired effect for those who have a particular affinity for bass in their music, but for my tastes the "bass boost" is just too much. As PDP is a gaming centric company, I could see its use in gaming, or movies, but not for music. It is for people that have a need (or just a desire) for heavy bass and don't care about much else. The Immersive option, like the bass boost, would seemingly work better for movie/game play use, not for music. It is intended to create a psycho-acoustic virtual surround sound effect, but again, in my tests, the quality of sound output by the speakers is far better than anything that a circuit can emulate and in Pure Audio mode the headset did a very good job emulating the spatial effects created naturally during recording and intended by the audio mixers of the content. But some users may enjoy it. Thankfully, the manufacturers provided an easy color-coded system indicated on the microphone to tell which mode you are in and made it very easy to switch between them. Try them all and figure out which one works for the content you are enjoying.

WHAT ABOUT FOR JUST WATCHING TV?

For those of you that were hoping to use these headsets for casual television watching, you will really enjoy the volume adjustment so that you can listen at a louder level than your partner might enjoy. Being a closed ear design, you can even be in the same room as your partner and they could be sleeping or reading and you won't be disturbing each other. Of course you can use these headsets with a wire and that will provide the simplest form of connectivity. Unfortunately, the wire that comes with the headset is fairly short (as it is intended to be used with portable gaming consoles or Ultrabooks that may lack a USB port). If you are looking to use them as a wired headset, you will need to get a longer cable. Thankfully, the port that the manufacturer used on the headsets is a standard 1/8" Mini plug available at most local electronics stores. If your TV or amplifier doesn't have a "headphone" out plug then you will need to use the included RCA plug to 1/8" stereo plug which the manufacturer includes.

NOTE: You can only use the "pure audio" mode when using these headsets with a wire.

BUT WHAT ABOUT WIRELESS TV WATCHING?

Wireless from the TV is potentially a bit more challenging. If your TV has a USB port (many newer models do), you may be able to plug the USB dongle into that and then use the included RCA to 1/8" stereo plug (sorry no optical input available) that the manufacturer includes to hookup the audio. Our test TV is an older LCD that doesn't have any kind of USB plug available. In my tests, I discovered one could use a powered USB hub (for example this: [...]) to plug in the USB dongle and then hook the audio cable up to whatever audio out is available on your TV. The hub doesn't get connected to a computer, the included AC adapter provides the power for the wireless connection and then you can use these headsets without the burden of the wire following you around everywhere. As an added bonus, while using the wireless mode you then regain the ability to use the alternate Bass Boost and Immersive modes (which were not available with the wire) should you be interested in doing so.

A COMMENT ABOUT WIRELESS RANGE

The wireless range of these headsets is quite good. In very non-official and non-quantitative tests I was able to walk out of our suite of offices (about 2000 square feet) and down the hall 20-30 feet before I lost connectivity. This is obviously dependent on location of the source and devices/construction materials between the headset and the source. But in a typical residential environment a user should be able to walk around a 1,000-2,000 square foot house if the source is centrally located without loosing connection to the source.

FINAL SUMMARY

Overall these are a great set of headphones for consumption of multimedia content. Whether it is to be used with a portable device like an iPad or other game platform, or with a home theater so you don't disturb those around you, most users will find the sound delivered by these headphones to be light years beyond what they are accustomed to. Physically, the overall design (a little on the "bright" side for my traditional tastes) and the lack of size adjustment makes them difficult for me to wear comfortably both privately or in a public setting. The alternative modes may work for your particular listening needs, give them all a try and choose what works for you. But all in all, at this price point, it would be difficult to find a better sounding headset that offers all of the features and options this unit includes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, Turtle Beach...shame on you..., October 24, 2012
Amazon Customer (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue (Video Game)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I previously had reviewed the Turtle Beach Ear Force X42 Wireless Dolby Surround Sound Gaming Headset. For a headset that normally goes for a $160, I was expecting a lot from the Turtle Beach...and it did fairly well. I was pretty disappointed by the lackluster bass performance, however.

The mic on this headset performs about as well as the Turtle Beach does. Range is also quite excellent - I'm able to walk to the other side of my house and still hear what's going on without interference which is impressive given that I do have a dual-band router plus an assortment of electronics throughout the house.

Where this headset excels over the Turtle Beach, however, is in bass reproduction. For a headset that retails for $90 less than Turtle Beach's X42, it puts it to shame. It's not going to be a contender for a Beats or a Bose headset, mind you, but it really puts the Turtle Beach to shame. Playing Borderlands, I hear the satisfying low roar of a rocket launcher firing and the thud of a far off explosion which sounds puny on the Turtle Beach. The Immersive Audio mode is by far my favorite audio mode for playing games and it sounds great.

And can the X42 work on the PC? Or the Playstation? Or with a mobile phone? I think not - this Afterglow actually is compatible with ALL of these devices at a fraction of the price.

Battery life promises 10 hours - I have used it for 9 thus far and not a glimmer/hint of the headset's battery life waning. The lithium ion battery appears to work as advertised thus far.

As for build, this headset doesn't feel like it's going to break like the X42 does. It's pretty solid and actually withstands some deformation without breaking (don't push it though - the intent is to protect damage from "casual" use, not so you can show your friends how it bends like a reed). The ear pads also feel like they are better quality with a nice comfortable leather feel. The headset does feel a bit on the small side for me, but then size 8 hats feel almost uncomfortably snug on me so I'm sure that it will feel pretty comfortable on the average head.

A brief note on the mic - I like the fact that it's retractable. Having the swivel mic on the Turtle Beach set was occasionally annoying; having the ability to tuck away the mic when I'm not using it gets a big thumbs up from me.

This headset will never replace my audiophile headsets, but for gameplay, this set really puts Turtle Beach on notice...Turtle Beach is NOT the company that I remember anymore.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars I will never use my Beats again., October 16, 2012
This review is from: Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue (Video Game)
This is honestly the perfect headset for me. I have used it for gaming, skype calls, and listening to music and it works great for all of those things. I love how I can walk around my house or sit on my balcony while talking on Skype, the range is great as well. The only time it ever cut out on me is when I tried walking out to my car with them on. They don't have a whole lot of adjustability, but they fit my head just fine. Not to mention that they look better than any other headset available. I got the one day shipping for three dollars with Prime and it arrived in about 12 hours which is quite impressive if you ask me. They seem to be made of quality material, so they should hold up just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honestly see nothing wrong with them, October 10, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue (Video Game)
People have had different views of PDP Afterglow's products. I'm not quite an expert though because this is my first product I've bought from them. Might buy a controller later on but anyway;

- Sound - This Headset sounds great for its cost. The three different audios are clear, The Bass Boost really does add a nice oomph of impact depending on what game/music your listening to. On PC, I use a Equalizer to increase the effect further when I really feel like having my head rattled so much the headset technically shakes itself(though long term usage-wise..it might not be advised to abuse it.)-Another Note- The've done well to add the Bass Boost without really distorting the Highs of the sound, though you can still notice the difference in contrast though.. The Virtual Surround Sound mode is probably what you will use with everything you listen to. It isn't no 7.1 but it does do a pretty good job of opening the "field of sound" from just your ears to your whole head to give a overall nice richness of sound.. The VSS mode, as it has on the box, will be able to obtain the highest high's out of all 3 modes and it can still capture a nice low to an extent. Technically, it's the Jack of all Trade mode. Then the Pure Audio is pretty much the normal default mode. It will always be set to it when you turn the headphones on.

- Value - About power usage, well, They certainly told the truth about how long they last. I haven't really ran into a loss of power problem since I've got them. Of course, I don't quite have the time to fully play them for 10-12 straight hours and if you use them in a mobile device, they don't really use power unless you manually turn the lighting effect on(because it's not automatic unless they're used on console or PC)The glow effect is awesome, of course. Some people I show them off to always ask do they sound as good as the look. All I do is let them have a test and they shut right on up lol.

- Design - The only thing I have a problem with is that the ear cups are quite bulky. Being 50mm drivers though, they do envelop your whole ear. And it will take a little time to get use to the feel. You can rotate the padding though until they feel right to you....and depending on the person, they may slightly squeeze your head when you first put the on. you just have to stretch them out a bit and "break them in" before they start feeling comfortable enough. Until then, you might have to take them off after a little while to give your head a rest.

- Overall - They sound great, they look great, they're wireless with a nice range to them. -Side Note- The wireless transmitor has a 3.5mm jack that can go into a mobile device as well, so if you have a AC wall unit with a usb, then you can pretty much turn your mobile device into wireless as well, as sort of an alternative to bluetooth. Anyway, all I can say is that they'll have to survive the test of time of course( months to years) without messing up in some way. The Golden Rule still applies: Take care of your things. Other than that, what more can you ask of in headphones. These are all-around nice.

- Update - I have been using the same exact same pair that I wrote this review on for over a year now :) and they still work beautifully. I will admit though, I have had a few scares with the sound completely dieing in one ear for a moderate amount of time, in which I'm still confused on why. All I did was give them a rest, charge them, and miraculously they went back to normal. I've carried this headset around several places, banged them a few times, yet they still live. The mic is a little fragile though considering mine has cracked a bit but all I did was apply a little bit of black tape and it's fine. The LED still works too. I just thought to do this update for anyone that reads the reviews. But seeing as the Prismatic version is out, that might not be likely :P

5.0 out of 5 stars Afterglow blue wireless headset - Well deservered 5 stars!, July 20, 2013
This review is from: Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue (Video Game)
We have 2of every console (two gamers with different gamer tastes, whatchagonnado?) and it has been a huge pain in the rear trying to find ANY headset much less a wireless that will work without issue on every system. We use HDMI so that complicates things - the solution offered has always been "Go buy an adapter or switch off of HDMI". Screw that! We did buy one small adapter for the xbox 360 that allowed the audio to go out separate from the hdmi but ultimately we didn't need to use it. Our Home theater has usb port for controlling the ipod and so we tried it and it works! I just plug in the 'usb dongle' from the afterglow into the aux ipod usb port, pop on a 1/4 adapter to the 1/8 stereo plug and plug it into my home theater's headphone jack. WHAMMO! All game systems AND the TV are now heard via wireless headphones. My husband has his own set of game systems in the Man Cave/Office. Everything is centered on his desk, so he's done the same. Except he also runs a coax audio cable from his PC soundcard into the home theater as well so now he has all the game systems, PC, iPod, Pandora, XM... whatever he wants he can run through the headset via the home theater.

As to sound/look/feel, its a well made product. The mic sounds great. The controls for fading/fixing in mic/game volumes are on one control and overall volume is on another. They keep a charge forever it seems - especially if you turn them off after using them. My husband says he had put his aside while he was redoing his office and 6 weeks later they were still good for a couple hours of play. The leather/pleather earpads are very supple. Quite comfy- about the same texture as the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros but the padding is alot firmer on these. So the Senns are more comfy but that's a pretty high-end set to compare to, and wired as well.

I love the green Xbox cable (phones-to-controller)- its easy to pic out and never gets lost. The lights a very cool (you can turn them off if you don't want them- but why are you buying a 'glowy' head then, hmmm?). Also, setting the sound mode (there are three) changes the mic-boom led color, so you know which mode you are in. The mic also retracts- another plus.

Overall we are both very happy with this product. Its solidly built, comfy and very flexible in its application. Four calloused gamer-thumbs up!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Discomfort and buggy controls taint this headset's versatility and great sound quality, July 12, 2013
John W. Trainer IV (Newark, DE, United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue (Video Game)

I purchased these after the battery in my Logitech Wireless Headset H600 Over-The-Head Design (981-000341) stopped holding a charge. The initial reviews, feature set, and reasonable price of this set made it appear to be a fine choice. It's also a relatively new offering in a category where the choices that already existed all failed in one way or another.

The good:
- Insanely verstile: The headset itself is both wired and wireless. You can plug an audio source and an Xbox 360 controller directly into the headset with wires if that's what you need. It also functions as a wireless headset with its USB transmitter. The transmitter even has a stereo audio cable hanging off of it which can be used simultaneously with the USB audio adapter. In my case, I could plug it into my Mac for game audio and microphone input to TeamSpeak while having the transmitter's 3.5mm connector on my iPhone to listen to podcasts. The headset has a fade control to tweak the mixing of the two audio sources. It does all of these things very well, which is wonderful.
- Great sound quality that comes through sufficiently loud: This really says it all. The quality of wireless and wired audio is perfect for gaming, listening to music, or anything else. Other wireless USB headsets I've tested were too quiet to be useful in many situations, but this headset does not have the same problem.
- Excellent battery life: I easily got through two nights of hardcore gaming on a single charge. When the battery does eventually run out, you can keep it going by plugging in a mini USB cable to a source of power. You can even use the headset while it's charging. Some USB wireless headsets cannot do this.
- Great wireless range: I had no trouble roaming my house while listening on this headset. It's nice.

The bad:
- Bright LED lights everywhere: The wireless transmitter has a super-bright LED in it which is always on when connected and blinking when disconnected. I had to cover it up a bit with electrical tape to tone it down. The headset itself is also a beacon of blue light. Look closely at the photo of the item. Anything blue there is a bright light, including the headband.
- Ugly: I won't sugar-coat this detail: You will look like an absolute jackass wearing this thing. It's a monstrous blue plastic demon with no fashion sense. It looks worse than basketball shoes. The clear plastic band sits over an inch above your head while the remaining bulky plastic enclosure lets the world know that you only venture outside of the house when your parents yell at you to go find a job. Believe it or not, I have seen someone out in public wearing these. He did not make the headset look any better than I do.

The horrible:
- The controls are digital: The volume and chat/game fade controls are non-stepping dials, but they are not analog or fine. Both jump to different volume levels as the dial is smoothly turned. It would have been better to just make them up/down buttons like an iPhone's volume controls.
- The controls are buggy: Have you had your headset powered up for too long? The volume and chat/game fade controls will both stop working. Every once in a while you've gotta turn the headset off and on or you're stuck. This wouldn't be such a big deal if not for the fact that...
- The mute button is also the power button: You have to hold the mute button down for two seconds to power the headset off. This is dumb. It should be a switch, or possibly the very bottom of an analog volume dial.
- Uncomfortable: The clear plastic band does such a good job of holding the device on your head that it feels like a vice. The design is also quite unfriendly to folks, like myself, who wear eyeglasses. When wearing the headset it presses the frames of my glasses into my skull with enough force to leave a deep mark behind. I've had to adjust the headset's position frequently to keep my head from feeling like it was going to be smashed in. As a result, I've discovered...
- The clear plastic headband is not shatterproof: The clear band has developed some ominous cracks. I don't think this thing can last for a full year of regular use.

I really wish this headset were more comfortable and had better controls. Alas, these problems completely undermine its perfect versatility and great sound and microphone quality. I only recommend this headset to home-bound non-glasses-wearing folks with very small heads. If that does not describe you, I urge you to reconsider your decision to try out a wireless USB headset. There are really no good options out there.

Edit 2014-04-09: Grammar, spelling, and flow improvements for the benefit of future readers. My opinion hasn't changed a bit and wireless USB headsets continue to fail universally. Sigh. Maybe take a look at Microsoft LifeChat LX-6000 for Business?

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest thing since sliced bread!, October 30, 2014
This review is from: Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue (Video Game)
Pros:
Awesome battery life
Noise cancellation is no joke
Multiple settings (for more bass, more treble, and equal)
They light up
They're extremely comfortable
I've had mine for a year and a half and they still work perfectly.
Has USB and Audio Jack cords(also has a cord for XBOX)
Great distance coverage
Has a button for more gaming sounds or more game chatroom volume

Cons:
Makes your ears hurt quicker if you're wearing glasses(around 10-12 hours of continuous use)
some people have complained about sound being lost from one ear cup after some time(anywhere from 1mo. to 6 months after buying)
They stay lit while charging(even if they're completely charged)
You won't be able to hear anything but whatever the headset is playing

First off, let's make something clear. I bought this headset back in may of 2013, but I never left a review because I wanted to wait a few months to see what they're like. However, I forgot to leave a review, so I'm here now with one a year and 5 months later!

I wanted a headset that would allow me to hear my PS3 games while not disturbing the other residents in the house, and let me tell you! I didn't believe the hype of how great they were, I simply saw the best deal and great reviews-so I gave these babies a try. They came in on time, in a huge box that screamed high-tech. My first test run and they worked great! I was playing Skyrim, and I had saved in the middle of a cave against zombie-type creatures. When I first put the headphones on, the creatures sounded so up close and personal that I was actually scared to move forward! They block out anything and everything-from people yelling to the ambulance to the dogs barking. You won't hear a damn thing-which can be good or bad! The light from the headphones work to this day, still as bright and beautiful as ever. Also, I can walk to the other side of my house and still have connection, which is a great perk.

They're easy to hook up, and the instruction manual gave clear directions on how to set them up- and these headphones work for phones, PCs, XBOX, PS3 and anything with an audio jack or USB port. I use them to listen to music, watch videos, play video games, skype calls, and google chats. The noise cancellation on these things is no joke; if you need serious alone time or quiet these do just the trick. The microphone works, but I don't have much experience with microphones so I can't compare sound quality. There seems to be only slight static during my skype calls(I can't hear it, but my friends can) but they can hear me fine. better than phone call quality at least. The light is bright; and they stay lit while they charge(they kind of pulse for lack of a better word-they blink, fading in and out from black). The microphone piece is adjustable, and you can tuck it in to the headphones to keep it safe!

I'm rambling, but overall these headphones have lasted almost a year and a half and they still work perfectly. They only get uncomfortable after 11 or more hours of use, and your energy level will tire faster than their battery life. I love these, and I will definitely buy another pair after these die out. I highly recommend these!

5.0 out of 5 stars 20/20/20 Review, November 16, 2012
First 20 Minutes:

Pros: PDP constructed the packaging well. The headset looks great, and it had all applicable wires for the various systems/gaming platforms. There was a small one-page advertisement highlighting a case, an extra wire, etc. for miscellaneous items that would accompany the headset. They came with a partial charge, therefore no need to charge prior to trying them out. Then, I turned them on. The lights are great. They are blue, similar to other Afterglow products. Very cool look. Easy installation.

Cons: None.

First 20 Hours:

Pros: Great sound, great length of battery life, and fantastic functions. The quality of sound of the three functions are subjective, but for games and movies, I only use the "green", or 3D sound function. The music sounded strange at first until I realized there is a specific way to play music from a mobile device (included in the simple-to-use instruction manual). The sound is fine, if not outstanding. After quite a few hours of game play, a tone will identify a low battery. The tone is easily distinguishable from other game sounds. Additionally, when the battery is low, the lights on the headphones go dark to save power. The long USB cord to recharge is wonderful and easily allows continued game play while charging the headset. I do not have a decent connection for online gaming where I am currently located; therefore, I was unable to test the microphone.

Cons: Discomfort during extended game play. After about two hours, my ears felt a little discomfort, but nothing major. As time passes, the discomfort lessons, and eventually, and I can only imagine it will go away entirely. They do require some breaking in. It takes some practice to learn the lights for sounds, as well what to do in the event you want to listen to music on an I-Pod, or similar device.

First 20 Days: Still loving them. I use these every day. I have become adapted to the various functions, and can manipulate the headset without looking at the buttons. There are no cons at 20 days other than what I have already presented. The minor ear discomfort is still present, but again lessons daily.

Overall, these are great headphones. I am new to gaming headphones; however, I read everything tech-related. Game Informer ®, Game Stop's ® official magazine rated them fifth place out of five headsets tested, but they were the cheapest by at least 70 dollars. All in all, three of the five headsets were over two hundred dollars, and one was just shy of three hundred. These headphones possess the ability to compete with headsets that are clearly more expensive and better known, an impressive feat for any product. I highly recommend this headset for anyone who games at a moderate level. I feel that extreme gamers may find this headset a little too uncomfortable for game-play extending past four, or five hours.

3.0 out of 5 stars Headset not for the serious gamer, but maybe the casual., November 17, 2014
This review is from: Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue (Video Game)
This headset is not HORRIBLE, but as a gamer who likes to put some money to gaming stuff it's not worth the money I spent.

I bought it a little more than a year ago, thought it was cool. It goes with my computer and all, I have a glowing razor keyboard, computer case, a great RAT mouse and it fit in with the style. But I haven't been happy with my purchase for a number of reasons.

1. The whole headset is plastic, meaning at some point something will crack and that crack will slowly spread. I have a minor one with my current headset that is running to a screw connecting one of the muffs to the arc. Although it appears like it has stopped, I know better, it will either spread or others will arise. The arc is clear, and because of that it's also getting cracks that naturally form in plastic over time of stress, and being stretched. Which...makes the appearance look worn, and UN-fixable.

2. The audio isn't amazing, it's nice but I had to adjust to it. The headset is cool because it has two controls, one Master volume, and one Microphone volume. But let me tell you this makes thing complicated. Because I play games, and talk to friends, I try to find a decent setting on the headset that is balanced but it's difficult so I'm constantly changing audio options in game because the controls on the headset are not sensitive enough to allow fine tuning. PLUS if I play games, and the audio gets quiet enough...it slowly gets quieter (Not the game, the headset. The headset's audio output LITERALLY gets quieter) until I can't hear anything at all from the game, until I do something like click or make an action loud enough to suddenly bring the audio all back at once. The headset could use a hardware upgrade.

3. The microphone is low quality, comparable to the cheap PlayStation/Xbox headsets we have all gotten for free, or gone out to buy due to them simply breaking down. It's not THAT important...but when I drop $100+ on a wireless headset, I expect good audio and a microphone regardless of the headset's build.

But there are indeed benefits to this headset.

1. It is universal! Can plug into any headphone jack if you have the cord, Xbox/PlayStation compatible, and PC compatible.

2. Wireless receiver that connects the headset to computers, systems is super simple. ONLY the USB portion needs to be plugged in, nothing else.

3. Built in mute button on the headset, so I don't have to navigate to my communication program like skype, or teamspeak to mute myself.

4. It does have a smart design, the clear portion of the Arc is a great idea, although poorly executed. Having the upper arc, and a band that rests on your head means it will last longer. If you had a headset with a single arc, such as some Turtle Beaches, it will naturally be smaller, thus allowing for a lot less manipulation versus the Afterglow's which is incredibly wide allowing for much more abuse. If you had a single arc, the arc could have fitting issues like I had with an older Turtle Beach, where it may fit a little awkwardly for awhile until you adapt, or adjust and adjust and adjust. With the Afterglow's the band that is supported by what appears to be 2 sets of metal wires, means that the band will shape to YOU. You spend ZERO time adjusting, and you just put it on, and it fits comfortably. The reason why it's poorly executed in my opinion, is the fact they make the headset out of plastic entirely. If you connect plastic to plastic, and screw it together with metal screws then stress will be focused on those points of connection. Which is shown in my current headset.

I love gaming headsets, I love asking to see or play with friend's headsets, I want to get into creating a scale of rating for gaming headsets, and want to spread the word for what's worth it and not. I hope I help someone with this review, and I hope that I can help people make informed purchase decisions for gaming gear!

5.0 out of 5 stars I RECOMMEND READING THIS ONE FROM EXPERIENCE, August 7, 2014
This review is from: Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue (Video Game)
i have used many different headset companies in the past, and i do like to say behind Astro, Afterglow is my most recommended brand. In the past, I have used Turtle Beach, Sharkoon, Tritton, and afterglow. These Universal Wireless Headsets are Incredibly strong and durable, have very fine game sound, and a highly comfortable (I HAVE CONTACTS THUS HAVE GLASEES. THESE ARE INDEED NOT RECOMMENDED FOR PEOPLE WITH GLASSES WHO DON'T HAVE CONTACTS, BUT ARE AWESOME WITHOUT THEM). They have different settings: pure audio (blue mic as seen on the product), bass boost (red mic), and immersive (green mic), and i must add my favorite is the bass boost. the mic also is extendable and has a big sound boom.

Headsets from the past:
-Turtle Beach X12
Just stopped working

-Sharkoon
i forgot the one i got from them but they just stopped working and have a bad mic

-Tritton Kunai
the thin wire had the inside pop out. the headset also has a detachable mic which after putting in and out started to stop working

-Tritton Detonator
great sound but the mic is very stiff and are made poorly.

The Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset has a mute button, a real cool design, a master volume control on the side along with a game/chat balance control, an Xbox 360 chat cable insert and another wire insert for computers and mobile devices which seems to have a 3.5mm jack which is what you would find on the average phone or mp3 (product comes with chat cord and the 3.5mm jack cable), and a charger (NO BATTERIES). the charge lasts for 10 hours, which is not as much as other wireless headsets that run on chargers, WHICH IS NOTA MAJOR DRAWBACK).

Bottom line- best around in almost every way.

Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue
Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset - Blue by PDP (Mac, Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 3, Windows Vista / XP, Xbox 360)
Out of stock