4.0 out of 5 stars explosive action
TOm Clancy is back! I thought he had stopped writing and then this new book came out!
Published on June 14, 2011 by A&D

2.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT a Tom Clancy book - complete fraud
I'm a huge Tom Clancy fan and anxiously awaited his new book. However its quite clear that this is not written by Clancy, and he has just lent his name to a moneymaking exercise.

Published on June 15, 2011 by Scott Phillips

2.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT a Tom Clancy book - complete fraud, June 15, 2011

Its a thriller, and I guess its ok. But its certainly not a Tom Clancy book. Its let down in the details which Clancy always gets right. For example in the book a drug dealer lets someone shoot him with a .45 to test out a bulletproof coat, and he barely notices the impact. In the real world the kinetic impact would break his ribs. In another chapter a navy seal picks up two pistols and runs at his enemies firing them two handed, something counter to every military tactic known.

In numerous little details the author gets it wrong, where Clancy consistently gets it right. For this reason I doubt very much if Clancy even proofread the thing before adding his name to it.

In character development, plot development... its average. Not bad, its certainly readable, but pure garbage.

I wish I had 3 thumbs so I could give it 3 thumbs down

1.0 out of 5 stars Tom Clancy did not write this poor-quality work., June 16, 2011
Deygan Brendan "Deygan" (Sherman Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Against All Enemies (Hardcover)
I made it to page 2 before seeing proof that this is another non-Clancy work. Here's a part of a sentence describing the Pakistan Special Service Group: (it isn't dialogue)
"...an organization similar to the U.S. Navy SEALs, but, ahem, their operators were hardly as capable."

'Ahem'? Amongst non-dialogue description in a book not written in any 1st-person narrative? C'mon. I stopped reading at page 14, and I'm returning the purchase.

I'm sure it might be an entertaining read for some, but it's obviously a low-quality work written by an author who writes the fictional equivalent of B-movies. I worked at a Border's for five years, ending in 2006, and I'd never even heard of Peter Telep until now. The entire Los Angeles Public Library System only shows two other titles of his, written in '95, and '99, neither of which I'd ever heard of.
According to Telep's blurb on the book jacket, we're supposed to believe that this is Tom Clancy collaborating with an author who's works include "science fiction, fantasy, military action/adventure, and medical drama, and film, television, and video game tie-ins."
Seriously?

ATTN ALL CLANCY FANS: Save yourself the curiosity. This item would be a waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a mistake, June 16, 2011
This review is from: Against All Enemies (Hardcover)
I have been a Tom Clancy Fan since I first read Red Storm Rising. Over the years I quickly read all of the Jack Ryan novels, many of them multiple times. I can even say that I didnt mind Dead or Alive. Now to Against All Enemies. I knew that it was a collaberation when I bought it. Once I started reading the first chapter I realized that Tom Clancy had nothing to do with the writing of this book. The style is very different, there is none of the descriptive writing that is Clancy's style. The writing in fact is very poor and vague.

For fans out there that are on the fence, if you are buying the book for the plot line, then thats fine. If you are buying it with the hope that the book is in any shape or form Tom Clancy, dont waste your money. If you are at the bookstore undecided, grab a copy with a quick starbucks, and read the first chapter and make your decision then.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you have realistic expectations, a good read, June 20, 2011
This review is from: Against All Enemies (Hardcover)
Reviewers seem ready to harshly savage this book with a 1 star, or go breathlessly fanboy and give it a 5. Either ranking is absurdly misplaced.

Clancy is not "back," as many of the 5 star folks looking to be quoted somewhere else proclaim. I seriously question how much of this book, if any, he actually wrote versus helping with an idea and/or a plot outline only. Technical inaccuracies are present (i.e. referring to the round caliber in one place as a "7.63 mm" when it is 7.62, making a similar error on the case length part of the caliber in another place). Does this take away from the readability or the story devleopment? Absolutely not - but given that Clany in no small part developed his reputation on technical accuracy back when that was almost unheard of, it matters to his fans. Similarly, the character development doesn't grab you like an older Clancy, and the storyline is largely a reboot of "Clear and Present Danger" with some slight borrowing/mixing from other past stories.

It is also, however, not a 1 star book. Editing was sub-par (misspellings, technical editing for military accuracy probably non-existent) and the ending is somewhat forced. However, it is interesting and timely enough that I read it over 2 days and really didn't feel any struggle or rallying was needed to get to the end. A decent beach read, a good book to throw in your carry-on if you have some flying coming up in your schedule. If I had a 10 hour car ride ahead of me, this book would easily keep me reading. I wouldn't, however, be staying up to all hours of the morning to finish it ASAP.

On a final note, when the original Clancy novels came out, I was 1.) a teenager, and 2.) the action/fiction market was stagnant. Like many others, the first 4-5 Clancy novels gripped me by the throat and wouldn't let go. Since that time, I have gotten older and the marketplace of writing has largely raised their game. I've gone back to re-read the Clancy novels over the past 4-5 years, and the passage of time, my aging, and the quality of the competition has taken a lot of shine off even the original books. Still really good books, ground-breaking, genre changing etc. But someone picking up one of the original Clancy novels for the first time in 2011 is going to have a different experience than someone who read it as a teenager back in the early to mid 80s, in the teeth of the cold war when TopGun was supposedly a military adventure flick of some sort.

I think we all need to consider that when forming opinions on the current offerings. We have fond, cherished memories of reading the originals when they were first coming out. Part of that is that we were younger and hadn't really run across anything like Clancy before. Part is that the competition has really upped the standards.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I knew..., June 15, 2011
This review is from: Against All Enemies (Hardcover)
The last time I read a, "Tom Clancy", novel was in August of 2002, it was "Red Rabbit. It was a terrible book and after 622 readers had commented it had a well-deserved and miserable rating of 2 stars. I decided then I was done with this author and that was before he decided he needed help putting out a novel in the form of a co-author.

I don't know what happened to this author who wrote, "The Hunt For Red October", and a string of other entertaining reads but he has either lost interest in writing fiction or run out of ideas. I have no idea how much of this book he wrote, whether he penned an outline or contributed heavily to what is presented to readers.

The facts are that he now cannot give us a novel without a co-author, the writing is terrible, and unlike his early work, this novel turns you away quickly, just the opposite of his Jack Ryan books. Again, why this is the case is pure speculation but the results are sadly evident.

Thankfully, readers are given the opportunity to sample the electronic version before being expected to pay a fee comparable to the hardcover, an absurd presumption on the part of the publisher.

Enjoy his early work, do not waste your time or your hard-earned money on this very poor work of fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars explosive action, June 14, 2011
A&D (Boston, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Against All Enemies (Hardcover)
Ex-Navy SEAL Maxwell Moore is now the main character. The plot is interesting, especially if you have followed the current war situation in Afganistan-Pakistan area. Moore starts in Pakistan, barely surviving the torpedo hit, to find out about Taleban's deadly, devious plot to start jihad, the holy war, among the infidels. They had come up a plan to use a Mexican drug cartel to infiltrate their enemies at the US/Mexican border.

I liked the book and the plot. I was considering giving either four or five stars.
Sometimes the coauthored books are not so good, but this was actually a really good one.
There was still all the techincal aspects and details like in all Clancy's novels.
I'm just not sure if the new hero is as likable as Clancy's Jack Ryan. He is still my favorite.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame Putnam, shame, June 17, 2011
Good lord, how on earth did this come into being? Just how?? At best, this community college creative writing class novel is...long. At worst, it's a complete ripoff perpetrated on the consumer by people who should know better. This is one of the book world's biggest franchises, alongside Rowling, Grisham, et al. And all you could do was find Peter Telep? The Bond people went to Jeffrey Deaver and by all accounts he turned in a cracker. No one at Putnam worked this out? TC didn't kick up a fuss? I just don't get the amateur hour thinking here.

I won't go into the rubbish dialogue - the 'ahem' moment is documented elsewhere, and it's not the worst of the dialogue crimes. (The encounter between Johnny Sanchez and Moore probably takes that cake for sheer plot stupidity.) I just want to ask a couple of questions:

Why Tom? You surely don't need the money? Why do this to your fans? To treat people who've loved your work like this is worse than low, it's just crass.

And Putnam? This is a disgraceful act from a book company, supposedly staffed by people who care about books. Was Sales & Marketing in charge of this debacle? Figures low this year, were they? How did the book lovers in your company let this through? Did anyone in Editing put up their hand and say 'Ah, guys...' Because edited, it was not... Basically, I'm thinking everyone just threw up their hands and said, 'Too hard, 5 o'clock, I gotta train to catch.'

A shamelessly cynical exercise, and a sad day for novel lovers. Shame, people, shame.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, June 26, 2011
This review is from: Against All Enemies (Hardcover)
I've read all of Tom Clancy's fiction books, and was looking forward to this one. I got it yesterday, and made it through the first 25 pages. Not only is it not written by him, but I even question whether he read it. The writing is poor, the characters are flat, and no one should be made to wade through 900+ pages of this.

He made his name by incorporating real technology with great characters. Even Jack Ryan, Jr. is good, but this was not the real Tom Clancy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tom Clancy, the Ex Author, July 9, 2012
I clearly remember the days that I would buy a book by Clancy and have to stay up 24 hours straight to read it. The story was too compelling to put down.

Unfortunately some years ago he apparently lost the ability to write. That should be a real problem for an author. However Clancy and his publishers have found a way around it. They hire young writers (some OK, some not) to "work with him" to write his books and then his name appears on the book in large print.

Whatever has caused him to lose the ability to write apparently has also caused him to lose the ability to maintain a relationship with these ghost writers as they tend to change often.

Against All Enemies was totally forgettable.

Please don't waste your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this Book! Not just the first chapter, June 18, 2011
P. M. (littleton, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Against All Enemies (Hardcover)
Someone once left a comment about a Book review I had on "A Visit from the Goon Squad" stating "I always like to read the 1 star reviews first", I do also. I will get to this and my other problem with 1 star reviews in a minute.
First, though I will let you know what I thought of the book.
Against All Enemies, is a fantastic read! The book is over 750 pages and yet could have been more and I still would have loved it. As you can easily find out, it is about the Taliban teaming up with the Mexican drug cartels to gain access to America. That alone is worth reading about. The characters are not superhuman, things can and do go wrong for them throughout the book which helps to keep the reader interested, in the final outcome. There are plenty of surprises along the way, and the main character Maxwell Moore is believable and human! By this I mean he screws up, and because of this, things go badly.
Let's face it; with all Tom Clancy books you pretty much know the outcome before you begin reading it! That is not what makes you want to read it in the first place, what makes you want to read it, is to be entertained, and this book delivers!
1. Did Tom Clancy write none, some, or the entire book? Who knows? But at the end of the day his name is on it, and he has to live with that, and I don't think there is any reason he should be ashamed to have his name on this. Unlike most of the latest Clive Cussler books.
2. Is it technically accurate? Again I don't know. I don't know the technical aspects of one type of gun from another but I do know they can be used to kill people, and in this book they do.
3. Is the book realistic? I would say yes. I think the scenario played out in this book is all too possible, and likely to happen sooner rather than later. Greed will let people do things that are ultimately not in their best interest, and that is really what happens in this book. If you want specifics read the book. Unfortunately what I did not find realistic was the level of competence, all of the characters had from various departments of our government! I don't think the author truly does either, but required a bit of fabrication to keep the story going.
This book is fiction! Remember that. It is not history, it is not a technical manual, it is entertainment! On that level it delivers!
The 1 star Review
1. Amazon, please figure out a way to eliminate from the overall rating of books, those reviews whose sole complaint is that the Kindle version was expensive. To all you whiners with a Kindle, if the book is too expensive for you, don't buy it, and Don't pretend to review it! I have a Kindle, and some books I buy on the Kindle some I don't. Try it, it might work for you.
2. This book seemed to garner a lot of 1 star reviews within a very short time, and yet all of them had one thing in common, a question of whether the reviewer actually read the WHOLE book. I doubt they did! The first chapter was available for free all over the place, and I think THAT is what they read.
3. Is the first chapter a fair representation of the whole book? I don't think so, certainly not in this book. Are there editing errors in the book? Yes! What book lately doesn't have them? Heck this review of mine will probably have a bunch. Who cares! If it does not detract from the story, is it really that big of a deal? If by the end of the book you can say to yourself, Wow that was good, or I enjoyed that, rather than "that was a waste of time" then the book delivered what it was designed to do.
If the book was truly terrible then admit that you couldn't/wouldn't finish it, or tell me why it was so bad, don't hide behind statements like "I have been a fan of this author, since the beginning", or "I have read all of this persons books and loved them until this"! Statements like these don't add any credibility to your review, nor do most attempts at justifying your position based on previous/current occupation. If a Navy SEAL wants to respond to this review and tell me the book was "complete crap, and here is why" I would love to hear it. But the fact that you worked at Borders doesn't mean anything! I guess all I want is that you don't pretend that you read it, and then review it.

Against All Enemies
Against All Enemies by Tom Clancy (Hardcover - June 14, 2011)
$28.95 $19.55