Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on August 15, 2013
I use kanten or agar to make low cal desserts. I usually buy the Kanten Flakes, which have no smell or taste. This stuff has a strong chemical smell and a bad taste. So much so, that I am afraid to eat it. Won't buy again!
on March 8, 2014
I really don't like to leave bad reviews but here it goes..
This was my first agar powder purchase. I had no expectations but I really didn't think it'd be this bad.
The first batch of energy chews I made using this powder was OK. The overall awful taste and smell was likely hindered by the enormous amount of lime juice I used.
The second time around it was already smelly during the cooking and by the time it hardened it had such a strong smell that I threw away the whole pan full of expensive ingredients.
Third time is the charm I thought. Not so much with this agar. I watched not to cook it too fast, used other ingredients such as sugar in the raw instead of my choice of organic coconut sugar.. Still, it was smelly and tasted bad.
My colleague gave me an oz of his agar powder and with that my energy chews turned out perfect.
So I went back just yesterday to make it again using again different ingredients and exactly how I made it with my friend's agar.
It smells again. I do keep it in an airtight container in the fridge from the time I opened the plastic package it came in.
Next time I will buy it from a different vendor in a glass jar.
Perhaps it's the plastic packaging or something else but be warned that this might not be the best $$ you spend on agar powder.
55 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2014
In the picture, this Agar Agar powder looks a little yellow/orange. Other reviewers have noted slightly off tastes.

I am pleased to report that the Agar powder I received today is cream-white colored, odorless, and virtually tasteless (the clean, slightly chalky taste that Agar power has). It's also ground to a baby-powder fineness.
on April 8, 2013
If you are a home brewer and propogate your own brewing yeast, then this is an excellent material for pouring agar plates. It solidifies rapidly after 15 minutes in the pressure cooker. I have had essentially no problems with microbial contamination, and multiple strains of brewing yeast have done well on DME agar plates and slants poured from this material. This product is significantly cheaper than the highly purified material available from scientific supply companies, many of which will not sell laboratory reagents directly to individuals. It has the benefit of being food grade as well, which is reassuring to some people.
on April 26, 2013
This makes great petri dishes. Glucose and potato dextrose works great for mycellium growth media if you are into growing your own gourmet mushrooms or any mushrooms for that matter. It was a full 150 grams with the baggie so it was a good deal.
on July 19, 2013
I use it for making un-cheese. This is the best textured agar I've found so far. It sets up firmly and has a very smooth mouth feel.
on September 2, 2014
I used this to make room temperature stable gatorade jello shots for a sporting event. I used 3/4 tsp of agar agar per cup of liquid, and doubled the gatorade powder to make a stronger flavor (more like actual jello). They do not have the same flavor as gelatin made out of animal parts, but no vegetable based substitute will. The shots came out great. The texture was a little more coarse than with regular jello, but on a hot day the jells stayed jells and didn't become liquid. Unlike other agar agar, this product stays surprisingly translucent when set.
I took down one star because it would be better to have received this in a resealable bag, and it had no directions at all.
on January 9, 2015
This product was recommended in a vegan cheese recipe using cashew & almond nuts to help thicken and bind the finished product for consistency. I found it lacking even after doubling the amount - 6 Tb for about a pint of pureed cashews. They were still soupy and I had used just the barest amount of liquid to make the puree smooth. I ended up adding just a Tb of guar gum and it bound up almost immediately so I would recommend guar, xanthan or even psyllium if you are looking for a binder but my experience with the agar was less than inspiring.
on December 8, 2013
Very easy to use for Vegan cheeses or "gelatin" type deserts. Lasts a long time and tastes very good. Smooth, not lumpy because of the fine powdery texture.
on September 18, 2013
Being vegan and making my own cheese I am very selective and prefer just vegan help made with agar agar