Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 19, 2012
I purchased this camera after my satisfactory experience with the Wireless IP Pan/Tilt/ Night Vision Internet Surveillance Camera Built-in Microphone With Phone remote monitoring support(Black) indoor IP camera. While this outdoor IP camera is branded as an Agasio, it is clearly made by Easy N Tech from the packaging and the model number. The clue was the Easy N Tech tagline on the box: "We Never Stop Trying!" After successfully setting this camera up and linking it with my indoor IP camera, it's safe to say that I've developed brand loyalty to Easy N Tech branded IP cameras (aka Foscam, Wansview, Hootoo, Apexis, etc.) despite plethora of generally negative reviews written by consumers who are not fully technologically equipped to optimally setup these IP cameras.

I ordered this camera to monitor my 13' x 8' enclosed apartment patio which I've converted into a makeshift tortoise habitat for my Sulcata and Red Foot tortoises.

The Camera:
I'll start by reviewing the camera build. The camera is surprisingly heavy duty and well built to combat outdoor elements. It weighs about 2.2 lbs and holding it felt like holding a brick. It appears to be waterproof and has a metal hood that extends about 1.5" over the lens to prevent water or snow from landing on it. The package includes a installation CD, AC adapter, wall mounted bracket and screws(which I found to be very flimsy), the camera and a screw-on WiFi antenna. The packaging is pretty neat and the camera's built is ideal to where I'll be mounting it: outdoor year-round.

Performance:
The camera performs exceedingly well. It's fixed position so you can't pan or tilt the camera. While it's advertised as a wide angle camera, optimum installation should be about 15ft from your target surveillance area. The video capture is very clear, both at 320x240 or 640x480 resolutions. If you have an external mic and speakers, you can listen to the audio the camera's picking up and broadcast audio from your remote viewing location. If you're creative and technical, you can even configure the built-in motion trigger alarm to output audio through speakers upon trigger.

Setup:
As with my Easy N Tech indoor pan and tilt IP camera, I am setting this outdoor camera on a Mac OS X machine (as of this writing, OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.x). The set up was much easier than the Easy N Tech indoor IP camera since I've garnered a lot of experience configuring that camera. The following step works for both Mac and Windows users. If you've never set up an IP camera before, getting the Agasio up and running for the very first time can be a challenge as it only comes with a 2-page mini pamphlet with very basic setup information. The box claim that a full user manual is included in the CD-ROM with the software, but my CD did not work.

To get started, plug the Agasio camera into a LAN via Ethernet cable. You need to do this to initially set up the camera. Then download IP Scanner for Mac by 10base-T Interactive or Angry IP Scanner for Windows and run a scan of your LAN for connected devices and their IP addresses. The new "unidentified hidden device" picked up by IP Scanner for Mac will usually be the IP address assigned to the Agasio camera by your router's DHCP server. Copy that IP address and load it into your web browser to access the camera's web UI. I found out the hard way that the Agasio's web UI is assigned to port 81 from factory, instead of the default web server port of 80. So after many trial and error, I finally gained access to the UI. If the IP address of the Agasio camera is assigned as 192.168.0.4 by your router, then you'll need to punch in 192.168.0.4:81 into your browser to gain access. Once you're connected to the camera, a pop-up window will request your user credential. Just type in "admin" for username and leave the password blank. You can set up the username and password in the web UI.

From here, you can configure your camera to do a variety of options, including alarm trigger, uploading snapshot at set interval to an FTP server, etc.

How to configure your camera for wireless access:
The first thing you need to do is connect it to the LAN via Ethernet and configure your camera for LAN access, basically if you've got your IP Cam up and running by following my instructions above or through your own mean, you're ready to go wireless. Now the trick here is to keep in mind that when you go wireless, your wireless router will assign the IP Cam a new IP address via DHCP, meaning most likely you will not be able to access the camera at the LAN-assigned IP address. I think this is the main reason if not THE reason why a lot of folks are having a hard time getting the IP Cam to connect wirelessly. Also keep in mind that the IP Cam is only compatible at 802.11 a/b/g at 2.4ghz only. Not a problem with dual-band Time Capsule but you may need to configure your router accordingly.

So back to the setup procedure, once you get your IP Cam up and running on the LAN, go to your IP Cam's web UI and click on "Wireless Lan Settings" on the left navigation menu to configure the IP Cam for wireless access.

* Make sure the "Using Wireless Lan" box is checked.
* Under "SSID", enter your full wireless network name. You may click "Scan" multiple times until your wireless network shows up on the list (you may need to scan up to 4 times before it appears) or you can just type in the name of the SSID of your network. If you have Access Control List enabled, be sure to add the IP Cam's MAC address to the ACL.
* For "Network Type", select "Infra"
* Under "Encryption", select your security type. It's usually WPA2 (AES), but again, you need to do the research on your own network.
* For "Share Key", type in your wireless network access password.

Click SET and let the IP Cam reboot (30 secs). Next disconnect the Ethernet cable from the IP Cam and power down the camera, wait 30 seconds. Reconnect the power supply but leave the Ethernet cable unplugged and wait another 30 seconds for the IP Cam to boot up. Now your IP Cam should be connected to your wireless network. Run IP Scanner 2.5 or above to discover the newly assigned WAN IP address on the network (you can find this in your router's DHCP list via your router's admin page as well); this should be the new wireless IP address for your IP Camera. If the WAN IP for the IP Cam is 192.168.0.3, then you'll need to punch in 192.168.0.3:81 to regain access to the web UI - again, your LAN assigned IP for the camera will usually no longer work. If you've changed the default access port for the IP Camera to something else other than 81, be sure to use the custom port instead when accessing the new wireless IP address. If you plan on a 100% wireless connection you'll need to reconfigure your port forwarding settings, reserved IP setting (if you did this for LAN), access port, etc. Proceed with your WiFi configuration as if you're configuring the IP Cam for the first time on LAN.
review image review image review image review image
1818 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2012
Connecting this camera to a computer and getting images was relatively easy. The quality of the images is moderately good compared to other similar cameras I have used. Accessing through a web browser, tablet, and Android phone was relatively easy. The computer receives many frames per second but the other devices only see one frame every few seconds. The main reason that I cannot give this camera 5 stars is that the user guide is written with VERY poor grammar and is difficult to interpret. The camera comes with software that requires a registration code which was not included in the box. I called the company (difficult to find the number is that was not in the box) only to be told that they had not heard of this camera model. After 20 minutes of broken English I was told to send an email to receive customer support and that he could not help me.
Update 5-5-12 - The email support was very helpful. I recommend that over the phone support. The email support sent me all the information I needed to download an update and active the software. The new software is working well and does all of the features I wanted (saving movies, changing camera settings...). I am very happy with the system now.
on December 28, 2011
My parents received this as a Christmas present.

I was able to get the camera running on their wireless network but took about 30 minutes of trial-and-error to get the wireless security options correct. The wireless connection seems stable with camera installed inside a storage barn approx. 150 ft from the wireless router (a Netgear N600-WNDR3700). Images are clear and bright. User security simple to update. I haven't set up any of the advanced features yet (mail, FTP, or alarm settings) but these options are available. Currently they can only access the camera images within their wireless network since I need to configure remote viewing. Haven't tried any mobile apps but plan on using the iPad app.

If the camera came with understandable English instructions and software, I would give this camera 5 stars. Documentation, EasyN web page and associated software is written in very, very poor "engrish" (I particularly like the 'succefully' status update).

Will probably purchase additional cameras at a later time, to expand the coverage area.
66 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2013
After several months of self-education, trial and error, my conclusion is that we home owners don't realize what IP cameras are good at and more importantly, what they are not. All of the marketing right now indicates that this is the way to go, easy-peezy, set up the camera on your wireless network (as a computer systems design engineer, easy for me, perhaps not for others, I don't know about that point), and bingo, you can record, see your camera(s) with your smartphones or over the web on any computer with your username/password you set. What could be simpler? No wires, no mess.

Oops, hang on, there is indeed one cable at minimum, the power cable. And this camera is not 5V as is written in the description, it is 12V @ 1Amp (12Watts... if you're thinking solar panel & battery setup like I was, it's not going to be cheap). But at least it has audio, mic and speaker, right? No, it provides mic and speaker connections and leaves you to figure out how to make that happen, without any specs for either, I might add.

But for me, what hit me in the face once I started running my experiments with this camera, and this goes for any IP camera, is that if you simply put it on your wireless network and want it to be viewable all the time and recordable just some of the time, such as with motion, you are eating up your wireless bandwidth. Think about all of the ways you currently use your wireless bandwidth at your home, e.g. wireless gaming, watching streaming movies, making Skype calls, using a wireless server, etc, etc, etc. Well, then prepare to eat up a big chunk of that wireless connectivity with your new streaming camera.

Plus, this specific camera is just standard display, meaning in networking terms, the image is going to only be sharp enough to make out faces or whatnot from about 10 feet or so distance, regardless that the infrared lights can let the camera "see" much farther. Those farther images are blocky & blurry.

On top of that, those images are not "real time" even if you have nothing else using your wireless network. I put up a stop watch and moved my hand in front of the camera. With nothing else on my wireless network, my waving hand showed on the screen 20 seconds later. With a movie streaming on my network and my better half using her laptop, my waving hand showed up on the screen between 1 minute to 1:30 later. If you were watching your camera to see if someone was about to bash in your front door, well, my experiments indicate that they would have bashed in the door and grabbed you before it would ever show up on your screen.

When I dug deeper into how professionals recommend IP cameras be setup, they recommend using ethernet wiring, not doing it wirelessly, that the cameras' ethernet cables go into a network switch that is also hooked up to a dedicated pc for live watching and/or recording. All of the bandwidth used is on this sub-network. So that little set-up is "real time" and the feed coming from it onto the internet is, yeah, delayed, but they are expecting you to only watch the delayed feed if you're watching via smartphone away from home, so it' just for you to be able to call the police.

And get this, they expect you to only want to do selective recording and that's how they are not going to eat up a huge amount of bandwidth per camera, e.g. if there's motion, oh, but you won't catch the motion that happened that triggered the camera to come on because that takes some time, only what happens after that. Sounds like how my simple game cameras work.

Okay, so, think about not wanting a blocky, choppy image. Want something better? Then in the IP world, you have to go to an IP camera of higher megapixels. But guess what... the higher the megapixels, the more bandwidth the camera eats up to transfer the images.

Bottom line, I am going to keep this camera for another application. But for home security, nope, I decided to go with High Def wired cameras, much cheaper for a whole setup of cameras and dvr, can watch them in real-time, zoom them, get audio, set up recordings, etc, and not anymore difficult than an IP camera because, hey, you gotta run power to those IP cameras anyway, it's not like they are really wireless, lol... and yeah, I can see my wired cameras via the internet just the same.
on June 30, 2012
The Camera hardware:
This thing is built like a brick $#@%house! The upper casing feels like a solid block of aluminum. Lots of IR LEDs. Evidently, the lens is replaceable. The base 6mm lens doesn't provide for the widest view angle. I'm tempted to upgrade to a 2.5mm lens but for the hassle of having to install the lens in situ.

The Mounting hardware:
Respectable. Provided robust enough metal bracket, three wood screws, and an adjustable arm. I'm pleased with how easy the arm was to adjust and tighten. The included allen wrench saved me another trip to the garage.

Picture quality:
The image is sharp! But I found the colors a bit faded. I understand that the IR-cutoff is supposed to be automatic.

Setup:
Getting the camera on your local network can be a little tricky. I had to go to my DHCP server to find the IP address assigned to the camera. Having the camera default to port 81 for HTTP? I don't get it. Port 80 is the *standard* HTTP port. This just causes more confusion. In particular, connecting to an encrypted home wireless network was the most confusing part. Read on.

Software:
The web UI is mediocre at best. In particular, the UI provides poor user feedback. While setting up the wifi, I couldn't tell if the camera couldn't see the network or failed to authenticate. This caused me at least an hour of agony.

Mini Encrypted Wifi HOWTO:
I spent at least an hour googling to find the necessary instructions. First, once you've connected to the camera's web UI, on the wireless setup screen, you may need "Scan" as many as 4 different times in order to detect your network (assuming it's broadcasting its name/SSID). Once you've found your network, click on it to set up the configuration. Now hit the "Set" button and let the camera reboot. THIS IS WHERE THE CONFUSION BEGINS. After the reboot, *unplug the camera*, unplug the ethernet cable, then plug the camera back in. After about 30 seconds, your camera should have rebooted and should now be on the wireless network.

Overall:
Beyond the low quality Web UI and the setup experience (lost one star here) overall, it's a solid camera.
on June 5, 2012
The reason I bought this camera was because I needed a decent camera that would send and receive from a long distance. I have the camera roughly 500 feet from the house, with a direct, unobstructed shot to the window where I keep my modem. It works great! It takes a nice color view in the day time of the entrance to my driveway, which I can't see from the house without the camera, and a darker image at night in near complete darkness. Very impressive.

The setup instructions are a bit funky, but it's easy to get past that. The software seems to work well.

Just an update, August 2013: I have had this camera for over a year now and it still works like the day I bought it. Still love it.
on April 13, 2012
I purchased this and the Kare N7502JV. I prefer the Kare N7502JV at a $20 savings. This camera was not as easy to setup, the menus are a little clunkier than the Kare cam. It has an excellent picture for the cost. Night vision works well in the chicken coop. I was able to identify the culprit killing my chickens the 1st night. The mount is adequate but only works on the bottom of the camera, therefore it is only mountable above a surface. It is impossible to mount under an overhang. Frame rate is slow over wireless but acceptable. Using LAN cable improves performance but defeats the reason I purchased it, ease of deployment. The documentation is poor at best and both cameras came with cracked CDs that still worked. The guide on the CD is actually for a different PTZ model. The internal web server works great. DDNS us not usable if it is on your home network. I was able to change the port to 8081 and put the port forward in my router and can access the camera via my android phone over the internet with ease. The included software is confusing at best. I played with it for about an hour trying to figure the new camera out but soon abandoned it for better software. I prefer to use the free version of Vitamin D for alarming and triggering although it reduces the resolution. I am considering the $50 for 2 cams full resolution. I have also found that ContaCam (open source) works well. Lastly, the Agasio has an internal alarm triggering connection and 2 way microphone jacks. I did not use them so I cannot comment on the performance. All in all, the camera is ok but I prefer the Kare camera in the same class. I am considering purchasing another Kare for my monitoring needs.
on February 6, 2013
I bought 3 of these cameras for my security system at home.
One was bad right out of the box so I sent it back. I returned it and bought the same model. It was bad too. The first one was displaying very dark video even during the day. The second bad one , had non working Infared LED lights.Both of the bad cameras may have been used I suspect as the insignia on both of them was pretty worn. I will never purchase another product from Agasio.
Very bad quality !!!!!
on February 11, 2013
Agasio M105I Outdoor Wireless Wifi Waterproof Bullet IP Camera with IR-Cut Filter, Two-way Audio, Night-Vision, Email &I tried to contact Foscam support for the last 5-8 days through email and phone. I got hold of them couple of times after waiting on the line for 3--45 minutes and then I was told that our Sr. Technician will call back that's it. Finally I thought of writing the product review so at least future buyers will undertsand what they can expect the support.

The camera works fine and easy to setup. I was able to make it up and running in 30 minutes. Some how I was not unable to view multi camera on one screen, so I called them couple of times but no luck so far. Finally, I gave up after several attempts.

Next thing was the power extension, since I want to mount the camera atleast 15 feet away from the nearest power cord I thought of getting extension cord. I emailed support and I got the below message.
************
We offer a 10 foot extension chord cable. If you are looking for a longer cable you can find them at any electronic or hardware store. no specific brand is recommended. Best Regards,
Edward

Foscam Digital Technologies LLC
Support Team
1-800-930-0949
support@foscam.us
[...]

*************
I ordered 2 10 ft cords for my 2 cameras and it arrived pretty soon only to find out that it doesn't work with Agasio model 105I beacuse it has a different plug size. I don't undersrtand why the support person told me to purchase it. I returned both the cords today and I didn't find any extension in electronic shops like [...] and radio shack. Perhaps it need a convertor set if the size is different. Today I called the support again to find out whether I can get the extension cord. I was told that they will get back to me later.
on September 12, 2012
The Agasio M105I was a roll of the dice for me. My house sits back a fairly long lane and the garage/driveway side of the house has no windows. So, there's no easy way to tell if a vehicle has pulled down the driveway or if there is someone snooping around (I live in a rural area where most of the houses are empty during the day and the neighbors are just close enough to have you constantly wondering if the idling vehicle is next door or parked in your driveway).

I wanted a camera that I could view remotely that had good resolution, night-vision capability and a fairly decent software package. This camera fits the bill with an outdoor rated enclosure, both wireless and wired ethernet network support and a decent web interface.

It does have modest PC-based software support for recording movement and centralized viewing, but it's a bit of a hack (although it does a decent job of pretending to be a Foscam device). I've tinkered with ZoneMinder as a camera manager with this unit and, while I have had it working a couple of times, it tends to be on the flaky side. I might spend some additional time with this software as I am a "Windows-free" user...

The built-in web interface is spartan, but functional with support for motion detection (I have it linked to my Gmail account, so that I get images emailed to that account whenever it detects motion above a certain threshold). It also has dynamic DNS support if you want to point a web browser at it or monitor it with remote software. The ethernet connection also supports direct to DSL connections with PPoE support.

Wireless performance is pretty decent, if sluggish. My "G" access point is in my house at the opposite end from the camera and the camera itself is mounted on a detached garage about 40 feet from the house. Even at this distance, I get fairly smooth video when on my internal network and good refresh rates when viewing the camera on my 4G mobile phone. However, any additional cameras that I might add to the network will be hardwired to cut down on latency and the amount of traffic on my WLAN.

An issue of concern for me is that the login credentials for the camera are not encrypted and passed as plain text. This is, largely, a non-issue when you are not exposing the camera to the internet, but this is the expected use in a home-owner's or small/remote location. It's not a deal-breaker for most folks, but be aware as it does present an attack vector for your network.

Another small gripe is the uber-cheesy mount. In order to mount the camera on a vertical plane and point the camera at a 90deg angle to that plane, you have to add a spacer (like a block of wood) or replace the mount with a more substantial mount. Fortunately, the camera uses a standard mounting foot and screw, so nearly any standard mount should work.

While this device doesn't hold a candle to the high-end HD IP cameras that I use at work, at less than $100 with shipping, there is little to complain about.
review image review image review image review image review image review image