Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: Blu-rayChange

Series 9 was filmed in WIDESCREEN and the previous A&E DVDs cropped the sides off to give a square picture.
A&E also censored the audio for language they felt offensive and re-edited the shows to put in commercial breaks.

But now we can rejoice! Acorn has gone back to the original British masters, restored the widescreen image as it was produced, and the audio is uncensored.

These new transfers also refine the picture, sure there is some film grain but it is a lot sharper than the previous A&E DVDs and the colors are brighter.
on August 19, 2013
I was beginning to wonder if the Definitive Collection of Poirot would ever come to Blu Ray Disc. The Early Cases did and are absolutely magnificent. If you havent seen the Early Cases on blu ray, you should. We were blown away at how great yhey looked and sounded. However, there is still series 10 which I'm wondering why it isn't released for preorder as well ( episodes "Mystery on the Blue Train, Taken At the Flood, After the Funeral, Cards on the Table"). In the Movie Collection, movie collection 6 is on blu ray, but not movie collections 4 and 5. Go figure. I hope A & E, and Acorn Media complete the entire series and movies in blu ray.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2013
I was beginning to despair of this & series 7 & 8 coming to bluRay. series 9 saw the departure from the old formula but a compelling trend toward darker, even more character driven mysteries. all 4 are excellent: The Hollow & Five Little Pigs are superlative. I just watched Death on the Nile on my Aussie DVD [the only anamorphic widescreen versions at the time] for the umpteenth time; excellent stuff. October is too far away.

And there's this fine Belgian man who ties it all expertly together.
on August 10, 2013
These four episodes/mini-movies are just as good as some of the original Poirot series. David Suchet is - as always - a consummate Poirot. Hugh Frasier is still the standup Hastings we love to see and Pauline Moran as Miss Lemon is as ever the perfect ying to Poirot's yang. If you have not yet seen these 4 episodes then you should - and if you've not yet read them either - you should, however that said I don't want to go in to detail about them as I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who has not yet seen them. The brief descriptions provided by amazon are enough of a synopsis I think. I hope you watch these if you've seen any of the others! If not, I say start with the series in order - which is not necessary but it does add a hint of completeness and - personally, I never get tired of watching them.
on April 8, 2014
Poirot is getting older and they have written out Hastings in most of the shows. A mistake in my view point. Hasings gave the show a bit of humor that is sadly missing in this series. The mysteries are still there and it's still worth the view.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 23, 2013
Only the British could find a way to take a classic mystery novel and turn it into an equally entertaining series. That is exactly what they've done with the Agatha Christie's Poirot. They have brought the Belgian Detective to life, right down to his classic mustache and I have been hooked on this show since series one. Series nine brings in the following four episodes.

Five Little Pigs

Sad Cypress

Death on the Nile

The Hollow

Unlike so many television shows, Poirot loses none of its entertainment or realism as the series progresses. Some of the exciting challenges Piorot faces this time around include saving a socialite from the death penalty and searching for a killer amidst a family's scandalous love affairs. Then the daughter of a woman who was convicted of murder fifteen years earlier wants Piorot to help her find the killer. But my favorite of episode of all was the Death on the Nile when a honeymoon cruise turns deadly. Fantastic costumes, spectacular settings, and suburb acting make Poirot a classic series. I anxiously await the chance to watch Series 10 and hope the shows keep coming.

I received an advance copy of the DVD from Acorn Median directly and I am posting on amazon as a courtesy, but since so many other reviewers commented about the DVD not working, I want to mention that I no issues playing this DVD in my region 1 DVD player.

***Complimentary copy received in exchange for an honest review***
on April 26, 2014
I now have all the Agatha Christie Poirot series up to nine and am fixing to get series 10. The Series 9 was so intriguing that it kept me quessing until the very end. As usual the the production and scenery was outstanding. I buy all my Agatha Christie's Poirot Series from Amazon. There availability, pricing and deliver is 2nd to none.
on February 23, 2015
Five Little Pigs--Christie rarely devoted ink to explaining her character's names, but in the case of Carolyn Crayle (aka Carla) she did explain that little Carla was named for her mother by her artist father. Naturally, when in this film version the character is introduced as "Lucy" (a common a vulgar name) my jaw just dropped. Another pointless change. Then of course, the artist's name "Amyus" was mispronounced throughout. Then there was the gratuitous homosexual angle, absent from the original story. Setting these needless (and therefore, annoying) changes aside, this is one of the better film adaptations of one of Christie's best stories -- another murder in retrospect. Beautifully acted by the entire cast, with kudos to the incomparable Gemma Jones, this is a very good film.

Sad Cypress-- I literally cried at the end of this film, which is basically faithful to the original story, with a few changes that imho improved the storytelling (leaving out Mr. Gerard). Solid performances and a story well told. The musical score deserves mention here, as well. This is one of Christie's most haunting stories and it is compellingly told here. I never understood why Poirot was included in this story and apparently Agatha Christie herself regretted his inclusion.

Death on the Nile-- I would call this THE definitive version, but for one change (imho unnecessary) that was to me, a turd in the punchbowl. (One of the dearest, most loved characters was portrayed as an incestuous hag, ugh, this affected what otherwise was a budding romance in the original story) Otherwise, I like this version very much and this production compares well with the Ustinov version (Mia Farrow was a horrible choice for Jaqueline). Suchet's version is beautifully filmed, well acted and very moving.

The Hollow - this is one of my least favorite Christie stories, but this film version is quite enjoyable. It's a stupid story and I've never understood Henrietta's motives for acting as she did, but unfathomable story aside, the acting in this version should not be missed. Sarah Miles and Edward Fox steal every scene they're in, making this a very fun viewing.
on November 19, 2014
We purchased "Poirot: The Early Cases" a year or so ago, and became hopelessly addicted to Poirot mysteries! We have since acquired some of these later series, and they are still of such high quality and character that we watch them over and over again.
One thing I've sadly noticed on these later offerings is the insertion of bad language here and there, and some bedroom scenes that really aren't necessary.
Otherwise, David Suchet 's portrayal of Poirot is still so perfectly played, and once in awhile Capt. Hastings and Ms. Lemon even show up, adding to the sparkle and fun of these wonderful series.
Can't wait to watch series 13 when we are able to acquire it!
on June 3, 2015