5.0 out of 5 stars GoodieGnarlsGreenIszSPACEAGEFunkMobMuzik
The Return of Goodie Mob has been something many hip hop fans have been waiting a long time for. Many people also never really believed in the reunion given the diss tracks and diss albums to go along with Cee-Lo Green's rise to solo stardom. A reunion seemed unlikely.

Published 16 months ago by Enlightened

This wasn't a real GOODIEMOB album. Highly "Ceelo Green" influenced, instead of "Ceelo GOODIE" being a 1/4 of the South's pioneering group, from ATL. Only two songs reminded me of the GOODIE, that made them great, to the core fans. I gave it two tries, and couldn't endure the punishment anylonger.
The fans that know Ceelo Green after "Is A Soul...
Published 13 months ago by Mr. GeeChee City

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GoodieGnarlsGreenIszSPACEAGEFunkMobMuzik, August 27, 2013

HOWEVER, the Hip Hop Gods have shown us that they love us as they've reunited the Mob. For those new to Goodie Mob, it's Big Gipp, T-Mo, Khujo and Cee-Lo Green. Their debut album Soul Food was fan accepted and critically acclaimed as an all time hip hop classic filled with social commentary about the struggles of the black man and the community.

After my 1st listen to their newest offering Age Against The Machine, I didn't understand what in the world I was listening to. It shocked my system. Believe me I was ready to start blasting the album. But the closing song was so powerful it inspired me to re-listen. It reminded me of what the Goodie Mob and Dungeon Family was all about. By the middle of my 2nd listen, I "got it". As I'm writing this review I'm on my 6th listen and I love this album.

The Goodie Mob have not lost a step when it comes to lyrics. They all shine but I think Khujo Goodie turns in the best performance this time. His voice and delivery stand out. He truly is underrated. The other members drop quotables and words to live by throughout the album as well though. The songs are short and to the point and the album flows along seamlessly as The Goodie Mob never wear out their welcome. Cee-Lo Green goes Lady Killer style on AMY and cranks up some Gnarls esque sounds on Power. Make no mistake about it, the album's sound is a departure from their earlier work but the message is the same. The album's sound instead draws from earlier Mob related projects such as Willie Isz (trust me...check that out), Gnarls Barkley, and recent Cee-Lo Green work. If you go in expecting Soul Food instrumentals part 2 then you will be sorely disappointed. However it's still soulful and funky.

Age Against The Machine already has lots of replay value and that's evidence that they actually have something to say on this album (as with all Goodie Mob albums). In my opinion, the album is best digested as an experience but the songs work individually as well. This album is highly recommended and in a year full of standout releases, Goodie Mob manages to reinvent themselves and introduce themselves to a new generation of fans while still keeping the message that brought them accolades in the first place. 5 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing and Intriguing., August 27, 2013
This review is from: Age Against the Machine (Audio CD)
This is what I've been waiting for in the hip hop/rap genre. At the time I thought it was dead to my ears Goodie Mob comes together with Age Against The Machine. The lyrics are sharp, deep and profound. The music sounds either original or experimental. Funk, classical, jazzy, electronica, lots of layers. I can't decide which one it is. As if it sounds familiar and fuzzy at the same time like a new arrangement with some "gnarl" to it. It's simply a fantastic, fresh sound to my ears and everlasting, like a game changer. Great percussion. Every song cuts right through your soul and stitches you right back up. This is REAL ART, extremely creative and I love it.

II have to add, the more I listen the more mesmerized and intrigued I get. It only gets better with every spin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodie Mob return with their long-awaited "Age Against The Machine", September 1, 2013
This review is from: Age Against the Machine (Audio CD)
The hip hop quartet Goodie Mob made their initial debut on OutKast's album "Southerplayalisticadillacmuzik". About a year later, the group released their now-classic debut "Soul Food". While a lot of Southern rappers were interested in making people dance, Goodie Mob were interested in making people think. That point was made very clear on their breakthrough hit single about the New World Order "Cell Therapy". Three years later, they followed it up with the somewhat dark, but equally successful "Still Standing". In 1999, they released their third album- the noticeably radio friendly "World Party". While it wasn't technically a bad album, their message got lost in the overly polished production from Bad Boy Hitman Deric "D-Dot" Angelettie, Dallas Austin and a then-unknown Kanye West. The group were dropped from LaFace Records, and Cee-Lo Green went ahead with plans for a solo career. He released two albums for Arista, while the remaining members of Goodie Mob went independent for their their effort "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show". Big Gipp released a solo album 'Mutant Mindframe", while Khujo and T-Mo teamed up as The Lumberjacks. Cee-Lo Green teamed up with Danger Mouse to form the duo Gnarls Barkley and saw his biggest success as a solo artist under Elektra Records.

Despite all the success he's had with his outside endeavors, Cee-Lo Green never forgot where he came from. Even at the height of his fame, he insisted on a wanting to do another Goodie Mob album. They reunited in 2007 to tour and later record their album- which became 2013's "Age Against The Machine". The sound is noticeably different for the group, but their message and meaning has not changed. Outside of Big Rube appearing on the intro and their longtime engineer Leslie Brathwaite mixing the album, "Age Against The Machine" is largely devoid of Dungeon Family appearances. They criticize the state of current music on "State Of The Art (Radio Killa)" and address the issue of racism on "Power". They channel their old sound on "I'm Set" and "Understanding", while addressing the issue of individuality on the Janelle Monae featured "Special Education". Their twice time labelmate T.I. guests on "Pinstripes", while they talk about the history of gangs on "Kolors". There are a few missteps on the album- the most obvious being the Bruno Mars co-written song about interracial love "Amy". Despite the blatant appeal for a mainstream audience, "Age Against The Machine" is a listenable recording from the Goodie Mob. After almost fifteen years out of the spotlight, they show they are still capable to do what they do best.

1.0 out of 5 stars I heard Ceelo Green, insead of Ceelo GOODIE.... But where was GOODIEMOB?, November 20, 2013
This review is from: Age Against the Machine (Audio CD)
The fans that know Ceelo Green after "Is A Soul Machine" album, may love it. But I can't see a true fan of the GOODIE Brand entertaining that idea.
I hope this was a trial album, to get Ceelo back in the group. By agreeing on letting him put his hands on everything. If it sucks(IT DID), then they would go to vintage style. If it didn't suck(IT DID), then they would incorporate it into the next album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and smart, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Age Against the Machine (Audio CD)
Has a really good mix of classic goodie mob story telling and Ceelo Green flamboyancy. I've been playing it nonstop since it was released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels Good!, October 2, 2013
A Deuce "prettytony" (Palm Beeyatch, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Age Against the Machine (Audio CD)
It feel good to actually put this CD - yes CD MUTHAFunkaz. I had to hear this in my car and get the artwork!
Glad to see the Mob back at it again. Its been too long. The MOB music is timeless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Rap Album., September 29, 2013
Goodie Mob's well awaited album Age Against The Machine Is just what I expected, Something different to digest. Not your typical Rap Group..

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Cell Theropy..., August 31, 2013
Or "They Don't Dance No Mo"... BUT a quality album nonetheless. Original Goodie Mob fans are 30+, and have probably accumulated an appreciation for diverse styles of music over the years. Suga Lo taps back into that old "Me and my family moved in out apartment complex / A gate with a serial code was put up next" type of flow that us old GM fans loved, but at a few points in the album he starts to transform into the modern Cee Lo Green. I've come to accept the modern Cee Lo now, and actually like some of his work as Gnarles Barkley, but it is always good to hear a little bit of the old fashioned Suga every now and then. The rest of the Mob still showed that they were just as raw and grimy as they were back in the 90's. Wished there were more barz from Gipp though. Hopefully, GM isn't done making albums yet. Looking forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A-towns progidal sons returns, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Age Against the Machine (Audio CD)
Overall this is one of the best cd to come out this year and the game been missing quality like the goodie mob brought to the scene back in the day. The whole cd from top to bottom rocks hard and should be played at maximum volume and best buy giving away 20 tracks on the exclusive for true fans of the goodie mob.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice come-back, January 2, 2014
MDamian (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
Glad to see these dudes back at it. This sounds like Goodie-Mo, really. Glad they didn't try to sound like the rest of "hip hop". My only beef with this album is that there's too much Cee-Lo Green influence.. and it ends up sounding more futuristic than soul-food-Atlanta-gravy-like. But otherwise, I dig it. What they pulled off is hard to do these days.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Age Against the Machine
Age Against the Machine by Goodie Mob (Audio CD - 2013)