Customer Discussions > Building Stories forum

Age Appropriate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 8:25:57 AM PST
J. Azaret says:
Would Building Stories be appropriate for a mature & intelligent 13 year old? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:14:40 PM PST
justaminute says:
It certainly isn't written *for* a young audience. Most obviously, Building Stories has no coy modesty about nudity or sex; as important aspects of adult life and relationships, Ware shows his characters' sex lives with anatomical and emotional accuracy. That said, there is nothing exploitative, and it might help teens to a more compassionate understanding of body issues and sexuality. More profoundly, it is a heartbreakingly empathetic book filled with adult characters struggling with the desperate unhappiness (and occassional joy) of everyday life. It seems odd to recommend this book--in which the hopes of youth exist only as dim, painful memories--to someone just beginning high school.

This is a book for adults. The inventiveness of its form is matched by the candor of its gaze and by the bleakness of its outlook. I would not particularly recommend it as a present for most young teens, especially in families uncomfortable with frank treatments and depictions of sex and the body. However, I would recommend reading Building Stories yourself and letting the kid discover it, when ready, on your bookshelf. Above all, it will not deprave: rather, the sadness of the book only makes one yearn to be more mindful, more empathetic, . . . more kind.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 12:48:52 PM PST
J. Azaret says:
Excellent response. Thank you very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:42:20 PM PST
Love2Shop says:
I had the same exact question, although I should have read this before I purchased for my own niece. Can anyone recommend another, quality graphic novel that is age appropriate for a "mature & intelligent 13 year old"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 9:02:28 PM PST
Reader14 says:
I have a 13 year old daughter and we're both fans of graphic novels. I loved Building Stories! I really don't monitor what she reads, but I decided that it wouldn't be appropriate for her. Plus, I don't think the subject matter would appeal to her. One series that both my daughter and I really enjoyed are the Castle Waiting books. They're also for adults, but are much lighter in tone and subject matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 11:06:30 PM PST
Love2Shop says:
Thanks so much! I have ordered a Castle Waiting book for her.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Building Stories forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Building Stories
Building Stories by Chris Ware (Hardcover - October 2, 2012)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (127)