Published on July 28, 2011 by Samuel B. King

Published on January 5, 2012 by K. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Guns of Navarone, then.........................., July 28, 2011
This review is from: Age of Heroes [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I just watched the DVD version of this film purchased as an import from Amazon.uk. This is an absolutely fantastic film in the tradition of the great Brit war films made during the 1950s and '60s before political correctness ruined the genre. No moralizing here. None of this "the real enemy is us" crap. It is based on the true story of one of the first commando raids into Norway to capture secret German radar detection equipment. The actual team was formed by British spy novelist Ian Flemming (of James Bond fame). The action is taught and not overly gorey (in 1960s tradition). The suspense is thrilling and the storyline authentic. Sean bean leads a group cast which carries of the film wonderfully. They actually trained with British Royal marine commandoes to make the show authentic. Weaponry is also authentic, German lugars, MP40s and British tommy guns (Commandos did use those) and Lee Enfields (including a sniper version). Uniforms are also accurate (including not only the Brits but also German SS and Mountain troops). The only CGI I could see is of a night shot of a Halifax bomber delivering the team to Norway. I won't reveal the plot any more in order to not ruin the film. Bottom line - if you like war films, particularly world war 2 themes, and especially if you are a fan of special forces or British Ealing Studios films of the 1950s, buy this......NOW!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Competent, But Familiar, War Epic That Plays To Expected Cliches, January 5, 2012
This review is from: Age of Heroes [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I was really looking forward to "Age of Heroes" based upon the real-life World War II exploits of James Bond creator Ian Fleming. I've been a huge fan of Sean Bean for decades (not just since Lord of the Rings as is fashionable). 1988's understated gangster melodrama "Stormy Monday" is wildly underrated to my mind, and the long running Sharpe series is one of the most ambitious productions ever. I also like Danny Dyer whom I find inexplicably hilarious in even the worst of films. So I was intrigued to see these two actors, who have wildly diverse styles, collaborate again on a war film after the fascinating, but flawed, crime drama "The Outlaw." There is nothing particularly bad about "Age of Heroes," although it certainly would have benefited from a larger budget. It is, unfortunately, so utterly familiar. With so many World War II epics available on the DVD marketplace, nothing about this film particularly distinguishes itself as unique or special. It's competent, but exceedingly by-the-numbers. Sadly, as a fan of the genre and of the actors, I'm relatively apathetic about the film.

Bean plays a seasoned officer, Dyer a brash upstart. Through sheer determination, Dyer convinces Bean to allow him to join an elite squad of Commandos. I would never disrespect the actual people the film aims to represent, but I will say that (as depicted) this is one of the least special "special squads" I've ever seen. The intense training involves marching and learning to shoot a German Luger. Nothing is revealed about any of the soldiers to indicate just what makes them different from any other fighter. They are given a mission to surreptitiously invade occupied Norway and capture vital radar technology. They cross the country with the assistance of an unlikely ally, and face the enemy to try to accomplish their goal. Along the way, we meet some innocents caught in the crossfire and a preening German General fulfilling every villainous cliche that you might expect.

Again, I offer no commentary on the actual situation--just on the film. As presented, the movie screenplay just hits every familiar bit and plot developemnt that you've seen in countless other films. None of the characters is developed beyond a cursory introduction. The squad itself isn't particularly interesting, the mission isn't overly interesting, the action sequences are fine but not exceptional. I thought the movie was fine, I was just never emotionally invested in what happened. War films can have the power to devastate, inspire, horrify and/or excite the audience. "Age of Heroes" just didn't move me. I feel like I've seen the same story played out innumerable times, and often with more impact. So as much as I wanted to love "Age of Heroes," I can't really rave about it. I liked it well enough once, but it's not something that I'd go out of my way to revisit any time soon. KGHarris, 1/12.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than i thought, August 24, 2012
This review is from: Age of Heroes (DVD)
I rented this movie thinking it would be worth a watch, and i was pleasantly surprised as to how good it was. By no means is it anywhere close to WW2 classics like The Longest Day or Saving Private Ryan, but it is a good movie that is definitely worth watching. Sean Bean does a great job as the lead and is rounded out by a cast of nobodies, but considering this was a low budget film, i would say it overachieved and became a solid film.

If you don't want to buy this film, then just rent it and give it a look, its worth at least that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good solid WWII fare, October 6, 2013
John Bowes (Oxford, MA USA) - See all my reviews
An episode of the war that I didn't know about, but was interestingly told. So this is what Ian Fleming was involved with. Reminds the audience of some of the hardships faced by the soldiers. No winter clothing, poor communication, extraction upon pleading. Still at war, but big differences.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average war movie, April 1, 2012
BernardZ (Melbourne, vic Australia) - See all my reviews
It is an average quality war movie. I think it is despite some accounts a fictional account as I cannot find any reference to such a raid in Norway about radar. As far as the plot is concerned it is a difficult mission of great importance to the war effort. Overall, the story is okay.

The characterization was fairly ordinary. There was no one I thought was particularly interesting.

If I had to say what let it down, I would say the acting. I thought it quite bad. No one impressed me with their performance. Probably, the best was James D'Arcy maybe because he played a real person who was interesting.

The action scenes which are very important in such a movie were ordinary. A crack Nazi unit, I thought should have been able to make a better fight.

Overall a better than average TV movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dennis Sullivan, March 26, 2012
Dennis Sullivan (Greenville, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Age of Heroes (DVD)
I saw a clip of this movie at a vendors stand at a militaria show and was curious about it and later got it. It reminds me of a WWII movie you would see in the 1960's but a little more fact based and there is no slowdown in the story with romance. The acting was good as was the action scenes but there are never enough action scenes for me. There were a few small issues with some of the uniforms and equipment for the historian types but nothing blatant, I watch these types for movies for the story not what type of holster or sling the characters use. If you liked " Where Eagles Dare" you would probably like this movie. Keep in mind that the good guys prevail but they pay a heavy price and not all of them make it back like they did in the 1960's movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Disappointing, March 17, 2012
N. Gregg (Kansas City, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Age of Heroes (DVD)
This movie was a bit disappointing actually. I just BARELY give it 3 stars. The acting was pretty good, but the story was just so-so and I can't say I got invested in any of the characters. Even when there were in a pins and needles life or death situation, I was not on the edge of my seat holding my breath and willing them on etc. It simply fell flat and bordered on boring. ...it's not a movie you'd "hate" but I sincerely doubt it will be one you'll be really glad you saw and want to recommend to friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Age of Heroes, February 5, 2012
This review is from: Age of Heroes (DVD)
Based upon some previews I had seen, I was excited for this movie to come out on DVD. I enjoyed the movie, but sometimes the acting seemed a bit sluggish. I thought the two best actors were the Scottish Drill Sargent and the German ski patrol commander. I don't want to spoil the story or the ending but will just say the movie is worth a watch, but probably not one of those movies you will watch again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars WWII Action and Sacrifice, February 23, 2014
This review is from: Age of Heroes (DVD)
There is nothing romantic or predictable here. The realism is strong and almost documentary. The characters are clearly defined and likable. But don't expect a Where Eagles Dare or Guns of Navarone type of movie. This one isn't going to leave you smiling or cheering or feeling vindicated. It tells the story of a not glamorous, not Hollywood war of sacrifice. Ordinary men and women who did what they believed to be necessary. It's plenty gritty. It doesn't drag or disappoint and like reality it isn't tied up neatly at the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's ok...not a block buster, February 15, 2014
This review is from: Age of Heroes (DVD)
not a big fan of this one. although this flick does tell the story of ww2 that many don't know about.

Age of Heroes
Age of Heroes by Adrian Vitoria (DVD - 2012)
$24.98 $5.99