5.0 out of 5 stars This surpasses AEII!
This far surpasses Ages of Empire II. This is the game update that should happen for the previous game.

Patience is key, and a few spare hours do not hurt much, either.

I'm more glad I bought this (and waited for it) for MAC than PC.

Published on March 13, 2007 by Jessica M. Landreth

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompatible
This game will not work with the Lion OS on my new iMac despite Amazon's statement that it is a "Mac version." There should be some warning that makes this clear. A net search shows that I am not alone in this problem.
Published on July 14, 2012 by Laker

5.0 out of 5 stars This surpasses AEII!, March 13, 2007
This review is from: Age Of Empires III - Mac (Video Game)

Patience is key, and a few spare hours do not hurt much, either.

I'm more glad I bought this (and waited for it) for MAC than PC.

This game was worth every penny, and even my husband, who is hard to impress, was kinda impressed by how smooth everything played. You really have to admire 17th & 18th century warfare to LOVE this game. A little knowledge about who was ally and who was enemy makes the game all the more fun.....

Enjoy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but Imperfect, January 10, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Age Of Empires III - Mac (Video Game)
I'm really more on the fence about this game than my score indicates. It's really more of a 3.5 than a 4.

As for the Pros, first of all it's gorgeous. The game utilizes different lighting very effectively which provides different regions of the American hemisphere their own unique aura (for the most part). The Yukon winter, the subtropical fauna, the Caribbean waters, and the New England fall are all portrayed very well. It's also nice to see such a variety of regions portrayed (who else would have thought to include Patagonia but Ensemble?).

Next, the graphics engine really is a pioneer among RTS games. To see a cannonball shot from a culverin, scream over the landscape, smash into a town center, blow out the windows and a corner from the building's steeple, come out the other side, and come to a rolling stop a few relative feet from the building with splinters falling around it sets a standard that no other RTS from here on out can afford to not meet. No more scripted death scenes no matter the style of death. In AOE3, if you get plugged by cannonshot, as in real life you don't fall dead where you're struck. You careen 10 yards back, flop around, and then you die. It opens the door for more realistic (and potentially horrific) gameplay than any other RTS has.

Also, I like the combat style. Some don't because it can take away the hold-your-breath moment when two armies collide in hand-to-hand combat like AOE2 was able to preserve. However, AOE3 has done a good job at making the stand-around style of 17th, 18th century combat more exciting than it could be otherwise, particularly with visuals supplied by the smoke registering from the musket barrels. Unlike other games such as Empire Earth where soldiers of this time frame appear to just flash lights at each other, in AOE3 there's no question that the two sides are shooting weapons primed with gunpowder. This is especially true on the high seas with ships firing broadsides at one another.

However, I shall also use this point to start highlighting the Cons of the game. First of all, armies during this time period tended to be very ornate and march almost in parade fashion - even in the face of fire. Flags flew, drums tapped, officers shouted commands to their troops, and those troops, especially the regulars, tended to be disciplined, disciplined, disciplined. Even in the New World. The game should have provided these kind of units (and not just via the scenario editor where they currently exist). Flag-bearers or drummers could provide combat bonuses so as to encourage their presence and keep them from being superfluous. It's been done before (think Lord of the Rings).

The game should have also provided a larger variety of formations on both land and water. It has effectively taken a step back from AOE2:the Conquerors which opened up some formations to armies and finally allowed you to keep those capricious and moronic ships from going off on their own and getting in each other's way. Now we're back to the original AOE. Games are supposed to evolve - not devolve.

Also, and this is one of my biggest complaints, diplomacy is gone from single-player. Completely. In an age where international law was born and treaties played such an important part in activities in the New World, I find it incomprehensible that Ensemble, so committed to providing a balanced perspective on history, would decide to boil this period down to something a hair beyond cavemen clubbing each other. What they did in AOE2 was fine. You could start off allied, neutral, or an enemy and you had full control over that at any time. You could potentially bribe someone to be your ally (or at least not your enemy) or you could help them to defeat a common enemy and then turn around and stab them in the back. It kept you on your toes because, like people tend to do, nations could change their minds. Not so here. In skirmish mode, you're either someone's ally or their enemy. There is no neutrality. There is no bartering for favors. The game is simply black and white despite its many colors. AOE3 devolving again.

I'm also not fond of the campaign. I think the story-line campaign, with its semi-interesting plot, doesn't do near as much for the history of the New World as separate campaigns based on the lives of key figures do. Because of AOE2, people now know more about El Cid and Saladin than they would have known otherwise. AOE3 could have done campaigns based on the exploits of Pizarro or an Incan leader (to avoid a recap of the Montezuma campaign in The Conquerors), the Marquis de Montcalm, a whole campaign devoted to Simon Bolivar, Pontiac, or on particular wars such as Queen Anne's War or the Seven Year's War (and not just a shoddy blip in the campaign story that it currently is). I know that the game isn't supposed to be just a pure history lesson but the previous AOEs did nothing wrong with those campaigns. In AOE3, Ensemble has attempted to fix something that isn't broken. This point of view is further vindicated by the return to the AOE2 campaign format in The Asian Dynasties.

To wrap it up, I love the choice in time period, I love the graphics, and I like the combat (I don't buy the arguments that the fighting ends up becoming just a mesh of humanity when things get hand-to-hand. That's what ALWAYS happens. Even for those armies who like to stay in formation and keep discipline e.g. Roman legions, hand-to-hand always becomes messy and disordered.). But this game is like a ditzy cheerleader - nice to look at but not much substance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another ADDICTIVE Entry to the AoE Series!, January 21, 2008
This review is from: Age Of Empires III - Mac (Video Game)
What a wonderful game! It's story blends pirates, soldiers, villagers, pioneers, natives, legends, history, etc. and it's gameplay is simply revolutionary. I believe the AoE series has gotten progressively better, topping itself at this third installment. The graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is very addictive, the voice acting and score are both wonderful, and the story is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sequel raises the bar again, February 4, 2007
S. Weidenbach (Chicago. IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Age Of Empires III - Mac (Video Game)
This game is awsome! Very well done. Anyone who has played the previous age of empires should catch on very fast. Even if you havn't played before it won't take long to get the hang of it. I have a 2ghz intel mac and have no problems. Graphics are amazing as well as the gameplay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun..if a little dull, August 8, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Age Of Empires III - Mac (Video Game)
Age of Empires III is an enjoyable hybrid between a classic city building game and a historical strategy game of the Civilization genre. As such, it can be a little slow once you've mastered the basics. The graphic quality is very good, and the scenario story is engaging. However, once I completed a full campaign, I didn't find myself wanted to play it through again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent But Archers on the Plains of Abraham?, July 5, 2008
E. P. Harper (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Age Of Empires III - Mac (Video Game)
This is an excellent strategy game. I am very interested in colonial and Eighteenth Century warfare so I enjoy the era and the animations of musket loading pioneers and soldiers. It mimics linear tactics although it is not an exact reproduction. The naval warfare is also good although you will not see ships in linear formation.

There is a definite improvement over Age of Empires II in that there are very real differences between the cultures that require differing strategies when playing different nations. I really like how they were able to make it so that particular nations have an edge in certain periods. For example the Spaniards and the Ottomans are stronger in the colonial age while the other nations such as the British and French begin to excel in the fortress and industrial ages. There are more nation specific technologies than in the earlier version and there is no denying certain what I would call basic technologies to certain nations to create variation.

I like buildings that will produce resources continuously such as mills and plantations, and factories, rather than relying on mines that are eventually "dried up." The shipments from the home cities is an interesting feature although "additions" to those cities seems to be little more than "decorating."

My quibbles with the game have nothing to do with game play but more to do with historical accuracy. One of the British special units is the longbowman, also featured in the earlier AoE2. The computer will continue to produce this unit well into the industrial age of the game because it remains cheap and effective. I want to battle against redcoats, not medieval yeomen! Pikemen and halberdiers are other soldiers that will be produced "years" after the socket bayonet made this type of unit worthless in real European warfare.

I wonder at some of their choices of colonizing nations--the Turks never colonized America--but perhaps they were already planning their later versions such as the Asian Dynasties. The Swedes might have been a better choice than the Germans; I don't think much of Frederick the Great commanding armies of swordsmen rather than musketeers (fusiliers). I also think Louis XIV would have been a better representative of France than Napoleon for the colonization of America.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Sequel; Better With Expansions, November 30, 2008
anne (san francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Age Of Empires III - Mac (Video Game)
I first received this game about 2 years ago as a birthday present. From then on it has evolved to become my standard of a good RTS. The graphical, and game play improvement over AO2 is amazing. The home city is a vast improvement over AO2, and forces you to specialize in one civilization in order to unlock all of their advantages. My brothers also enjoy this game, so when they play me over our LAN network it keeps both of us on our toes and always guessing, much like real combat. The game does pull some controls out of other games, such as being able to zoom in yet it is actually a bit of a hassle since it gives you no advantage, and the movement often become blurry when you do this. One feature that the game is missing from AOM is the ability to pan the camera. You are still stuck facing the game from one angle. This makes it very difficult to view units behind buildings.

I run the game on my iMac (1.83 ghz, 512mb RAM) and I can still run the game under the medium graphics with no apparent lag. While playing on my macbook (2.4 ghz, 2gb RAM) I run the game on the highest settings, and the graphical improvement is amazing. The water ripples with every movement of my ships, and the smoke from my rows of dragoons slowly ripples towards the sky and then dissipates. Even in maps where there is fog there is no lag, unlike COD2 where you throw a smoke grenade in a big map and you will receive lag.

I often play as the British on expert, and sometimes the game is actually rather easy for me; I often win matches of 1v7. The AI is very predicable lacking the options that were in AOM such as big boomer, and early rusher. A simple strategy is to just create a big army, wait for them to attack, then demolish there city before they can regroup. In your capital one has the option to block all shipments from the enemies home cities. This in multi-player games is one of my least liked features. (I believe that this is solved though in the later expansions.) All one has to do is activate this "power" and the opponent cannot receive any shipments. This is extremely unfair because on the death match setting players can use this ability instantaneously.

The game does have some minor bugs, and glitches which are solved in the expansions, such as asking for resources from your allies over time, but all in all it is a very solid game. Using cheats is never fair for your opponents, yet you can spawn a monster truck, or create an invincible "George Crushington". The editor is still notoriously hard to use in setting up the AI's abilities, and the map is actually circular in this game. This is a weird thing to do since walls cannot directly match up to the borders.

I love this game and I know I will be playing it for a couple more years. I have both of the expansion packs and they add a new level to the game play. This game is NOT a waste of money, and will definetely keep an Age of Empires fan satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good time killer., February 13, 2008
This review is from: Age Of Empires III - Mac (Video Game)
This game is good way to kill an hour if you have one to kill. The games main storylines are decent but it is very to tell who was good and who was bad just on their voices alone. The storyline was also pretty predictable. The gameplay is right on par with the other age of empire games in the sense of he who produces the most the fastest wins. Playing the skirmish mode and developing the home city and your deck gives you reason to keep playing if your one of those completionist types. Aside from that in skirmish mode the computer is pretty predictable and anyone with any RTS background should be able to handle it fine except on hard where I believe the computer is given a handicap I have only beaten a hard computer with a team not one on one. The units are pretty well balanced and there are definately easier country's to play as then others and it comes down to your style of play which is usually a turtle or an attacker. I give this game a four out five because it is fun, it looks great, and it has some interesting concepts associated with it (homecities, deck building, etc) however like most AOE games the gameplay gets to be pretty repetitive if you sit down to often and to long to play it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a war game, but still great fun!!, January 30, 2009
Anna Banana "AB" (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Age Of Empires III - Mac (Video Game)
This game is great fun if you are interested in fantasy/colonial times or in building towns, villages and empires. If you are looking for a war game, I wouldn't suggest it. It's pretty basic strategies that win this game and most of it has to do with economics and improving your village, not your army (although that has something to do with it obviously). In the previews they show large armies with columns and rows of soldiers and stuff...yeah that doesn't happen, I mean, unless you spend a while organizing them to march in formation or something. The fighting is not visually satisfying, I guess is what I'm saying. But if you don't mind that, or if you like the Sims games but you've always wanted more control or like colonial times, horses and forests better than cities, houses and cars, than this is for you.

If that is the case, than this game is a blast! The strategies are pretty easy to pick up and the visuals are amazing!

One complaint I have and part of the reason why this is four stars instead of five is that I still can't figure out how to switch between countries. I can only play as the British. I want to play the spanish or the dutch or something! And the menus are a little hard to navigate. Other than that, I would highly suggest it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Age of Empires didn't get worse; other games got better, May 1, 2008
Superpig "Dan" (Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Age Of Empires III - Mac (Video Game)
I think this is a really fun game. It has lots to do and some nice improvements over Age 2. The reason people don't seem to be liking this one so much is that it's nothing revolutionary. Age of Empires 2 was far better than other games in the genre, and AOE 3 isn't, but it's still a great game that's well worth the money.

Age Of Empires III - Mac
Age Of Empires III - Mac by Microsoft (Mac OS X, Mac OS X Intel)
$199.99