Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Age-appropriate for an 11-year-old? Just wondering . . .
asked by J. L. Parker on April 16, 2006
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 11-20 of 52 answers
A
Definatley not for an 11 year old. But for someone 15 and up its totally fine i think.
Clap your hands say Yeah. answered on January 27, 2007
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Very interesting, as my son is 16 and this is the mandatory summer reading for his whole junior class. Is this appropriate?
Logadia Hennigar answered on August 30, 2006
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I wouldn't let them read it. Though they are capable intellectually, they may not be emotionally. That is a major concern when you have any book as required reading. Can they comprehend? Are they able to emotionally handle the content? Some may, but group dynamics may have some that can't handle it.
Cynthia A. Ritenour answered on March 4, 2007
Comment | 7 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Not at all..while some of the themes would be great for an 11 year old, some of the scenes are so emotionally and, in a sense, visually disturbing, that i had to close the book a couple times.
Q. Tharani answered on May 16, 2007
Comment | 7 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I teach 7th and 8th grade and while most children this age know about sodomy and rape, I don't feel the need to hand it to them to read. There are too many wonderful books that don't force them to look right in the face of the ugliest humans can be. The trend in young adult fiction for some time has been, "they see it in movies and on TV so why not?" I'm choosy about giving them YA fiction at that level of ugly, we don't need to give it to them in adult level reading at that age.
LATeach answered on December 8, 2007
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Not at all appropriate for an 11 year old. Great book, but I wouldn't let my gifted 11 year old read it. It's a fantastic read but full of subject matter that an 11 year old doesn't need to read about just yet, even if they are very bright.
E. King answered on February 5, 2007
Comment | 5 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Cheryl Kohout answered on July 23, 2007
Comment | 8 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
11 is too young for this type of reading, I believe. This was a great read and I would recommend this to adults and even older children-- with guided discussion.
I am wondering if 13-14 is too young for this? I appreciate any feedback.
K.Johnson
K. Johnson answered on July 23, 2007
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Frags McFraggle answered on November 5, 2007

A
Poogboy answered on April 3, 2008
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next ›

See all questions about this product