4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, Beneficial and Harmonious with Accepted Theories
Published on February 21, 2002 by Bladerunner B26354

3.0 out of 5 stars No easy path
Published on May 1, 2010 by Dr. Gunta M. Caldwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, Beneficial and Harmonious with Accepted Theories, February 21, 2002
This review is from: Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old (Paperback)
"Ageless Body, Timeless Mind" by Deepak Chopra, M.D. It covers 342 pages over five parts and five chapters. Before I reviewed this book, I pondered over the one-star reviews. Why would anyone degrade this book, I asked, unless they had some new basis in fact that Dr. Chopra was intentionally trying to mislead his readers. In lieu of what the author does at his seminars, it does not have any bearing on what he wrote. I found nothing in this book that "violated the Hippocratic Oath" or was meant to purposely cause harm. Nothing. I, too, noticed that the author lacked bibliographic references, but upon a deeper reading Dr. Chopra clearly embeds his references right in the main text. On pages 245-246, for example, even as early as this book was written (1993, about when new scientific discoveries were being made about the roles and rhythms of neurotransmitters, hormones and genes and how they are involved in the total life process). I also found nothing that "does harm to a patient" or "places an unfair burden" on him or her. The purpose of this book is nothing more than to offer reasonably coherent philosophical advice, tied in with physiological and psychological processes. There is nothing in "Ageless Body" that is malignant. I also did not see one single inference to the author's allegations about "living to be 200 years old," as one reviewer hastily mentioned. (It really is unhelpful to cite something without a specific location if it mentioned critically; to say anything good leaves more room for generalities).

What I did find in this book, in fact, was nothing short of very informative and helpful. So what if it comes off as common sense to some? Does that make the author any less intelligent or unworthy to write about it? No. On the contrary, each of the five parts in this book is explained simply with little pearls of wisdom that are meant to BENEFIT life--not to "take money from a gullible public." If the reader seeks clinical proof, and if actual time is given to an unhasty review, it is clearly PART of the main body text. A basic understanding of liberal arts will also make a significant difference in accepting Dr. Chopra's assertions. They needn't all be taken at face value. As an educated, wise mind thinks, take what you need and leave the rest; don't discard the whole thing as rubbish! What the author really means, I think, with his title of "Ageless Body, Timeless Mind" is not the physical body so much as it is the INNER body, or spirit. At once, the ignorant, showing their annoyance and intolerance, cast their objections in the form of a one-star review. Perhaps it is jealousy in that such a person didn't think of writing a book like this first. Whatever the case, Dr. Chopra presents his advice and teachings brilliantly and focused enough, free of religious fanaticism, to the point where a continual sidetrack of footnotes would detract from his subject. From Part One, "The Land Where No One is Old," a captivating title, to Part Five, "Breaking the Spell of Mortality," Dr. Chopra only seeks to enlighten and guide, not to deviate and destroy. I suggest losing the negative frame of mind and opening up. That is the true mark of character. This book deserves the same. Remember, many personas throughout history were mocked and ridiculed in exactly the same way as some people have done here, long before their work was finally recognized as genius. Again, history repeats itself. I suppose, to the uneducated or overzealous, a work such as this is not welcomed in its own time--such as the prophet not recognized in his own land. But I guess some of us are farther ahead than others.

I do not look at or respond to comments, no offense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gain wisdom and strength in the reality of getting older., June 1, 1999
By A Customer
This book illuminated my hope for a possible chance of growing to reach my ultimate goal of a healthy age of "102" (I am 40 years young). Mr. Chopra gives needed advice on how to develop awareness toward positive changes in everyday life. He also shares His knowledge on how to eliminate the fears of growing older, with wisdom, strength, courage, and the ability to accept each new day as a gift from the creator. There is so much valuabe information in this book., I use it as a health and spiritual reference guide, and an emotional uplifter, when I feel out of balance. This book is so much of a necessity in my daily life that I went out and purchased it on audio cassette, so that I can absorb the valuable wisdom at my convience. To my suprised, Beetle "George (My Sweet Lord) Harrison" wrote and sang the three beautiful songs for the 6 tapes/audio version of the book. Get the book or audio set, which is packed with truely valuable information. You won't be dissapointed. Also, "any" reading material with Deepaks' name on it is worth investing in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book of possibilities., February 19, 2002
By A Customer
I read this book a long time ago and just reread it again recently. I think there is a lot to be gained from reading a book like this, just to stimulate ideas on what is possible if nothing else. For that alone I'd give it five stars. I noticed a few reviewers dismissed this book and Deepak as "unscientific" and a "quack," but I think they're missing the point. Not many of the great advancements in human history were considered practical, or do-able, when they were first considered. I believe someone already mentioned some of the technologies that we now take for granted - like flying. Or for that matter, vaccinations and any other advancement that was once unheard of - or even thought of. It's by looking forward and exploring new ideas that we move humanity forward. I don't think that anything in this book were dangerous or unhealthy. I do think it was a great example of daring, positive thinking on what is possible. And that can only be a good thing in the end, whether Chopra's ideas prove to be true, or not. I liked the book and I highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful!, September 10, 2002
Before venturing off into more mystical writings, Deepak Chopra built his publishing career with a number of best-selling health books, including this one. Chopra writes beautifully - and understandably - about the complex workings of your body, and how your lifestyle and health-related choices affect the aging process. Whether or not you buy into Chopra's contention that lifestyle changes can stop or reverse this process, we from getAbstract recommend that you read this book for its enlightened advice about how to live a healthier - and longer - life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Springboard to Transformation, October 15, 2001
Lisa J. (Laguna Niguel, CA United States) - See all my reviews
When I pulled this book out of my bookshelf, sitting unread for 3 years, I was unable to work, having been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, and obstructive sleep apnea - all at the same time. In very simplistic terms, which was all I could manage at that time, Deepak re-opened a forgotten window into the power of my own mind, reawakened my understanding that I was responsible for my own health and my own energy. Ageless Body, Timeless Mind pried up several scales in my body/mind armor against the knowledge that I had created my own illness... After that, wow! Waves of realizations and connections gained momentum... I am well today, feeling and looking 15 years younger than I did three years ago - and I'm just getting started!
If you are so imprisoned that you need a 12-Step, ABC type program to understand it, read it anyway! If you can't get a grip on this book, that's great news! It seeped INto me, and what seeped OUT was something entirely different! There is no practical advice, no concrete prescription. To do that would be to limit the power of your mind, which is what the entire book is NOT about. Nowhere in this book does Deepak make the claim that these ancient ideas were invented by him... this book is simply one more manifestation, one more prick at the Memory of the Knowing that exists beyond time and three-dimensional man. It's a pearl, dropped into the pond of consciousness... what you do with the ripples on that pond or the murk that the pearl may cause to surface when it hits the bottom... that is entirely up to you - and your willingness to discover what lies within the amorphous...

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely outstanding, September 6, 2002
By A Customer
I read this book in German and now in English. This is strong stuff, but will rock your world view. Dr. Chopra has linked the findings of quantum physics to your life, your body, your health. Result: absolutely empowering. There are other books out there, but it is hard to find one where wisdom empowers you directly to perceive things differently, to set new goals, to feel different. In other words: To grow.
Outstanding, heavily recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars No easy path, May 1, 2010
I believe one of the quotes in this book "People don't grow old. When they stop growing, they become old" illustrates what Chopra is helping to bring in this world of ours. In another way he is explaining what Dr Bruce Lipton has been able to show through science that Epigenetics is what determines how we age and how we will fare with our health. But through meditation, right living and awareness we can live a life of fulfillment that medicine can not offer us. It takes courage to step outside of the traditional paradigm and Chopra does it so well.
Dr Gunta Krumins-Caldwell author of On Silver Wings

1.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an easy solution, April 9, 2000
By A Customer
Rating this book 1 star may seem unfair: After all, there is much valuable information, and a good bit of superficial representation of dr. Chopra`s Indian heritage. But my reasons for giving a low evaluation:
- There is a painstaking process going on in medical circles, where the establishment gradually learns to accept new (or maybe rather ancient!) approaches to health, from vegeatbles/antioxydants to meditation. Books like this is an insult to research-oriented doctors, abounding with unsubstantiated claims - and it closes many scientific minds to looking into the potential of meditation to keep and regain health, given dr. Chopra`s fame, fortune and public standing, which obscures the view of workers of more substance, like dr. Dossey. In other words, dr. Chopra is doing the slow-working, more humble-minded doctors that work in the alternative field a disservice and is slowing down the rapprochement between the medical establishment and those who use meditation, sound and the like.
- In doing so, he is selling false hopes and capitalising on people`s fear of death, becoming one of the richest doctors in history in the process. Is it not better to learn to accept aging and prepare for death? I have met many people who have bought Chopra`s books and attended his workshops, but none who have had a fraction of the effects of his methods that he claims. Where is the ethical aspect in this?
- Having worked with a large number of cancer patients through the years, following their fears and struggles, it seems like an insult to ordinary humble workers to say "Reprogram your quantum mind and get rid of the cancer". If Chopra could show one case of a person who could do this, including himself, I`d be willing to change my view of this as a condescending way to treat suffering humans who need compassion and good palliative care, not easy solutions that give the responsibility to the patient, whereas the doctor stands with no soil of the human factor on his hands. This is a travesty of the Hippocratic ideal, and will strengthen the view of alternative doctors as superficial, money-loving peddlers of false hopes. 1 star rating is inevitable, I hate to say. Luckily, there are many good sources of the same knowledge that Chopra embezzles. (Hope I haven`t been too harsh, I have no wish to attack Chopra, but I wish to strengthen a more substantial approach to the issues of aging, health and dying).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book that details Holistic approach to living longer, October 1, 2005
I enjoyed reading this book. Another book by the same author- 'Grow younger, live longer: 10 steps to reverse aging' is a practical guide to implement what Ageless Body,timeless mind talks about. I highly recommend readers to read the later.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring book on mind & body, September 24, 1998
By A Customer
When I first read the book, I could not put it down. My only adverse comments are that the brilliant supporting researches which are quoted in the book could have been referenced similar to a research publication. Then it could gain creditibility with the medical and scientific community. Neverthless it is a great book for liberating people abilities. Well written and a joy to read.

Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old
Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old by Deepak Chopra (Paperback - December 27, 1994)
$16.00 $13.89