5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best essays ever on Martin!
Published on March 17, 2012 by IShouldBePainting

3.0 out of 5 stars scholarship = good. reproductions = meh.
Published on January 19, 2012 by =mew=

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best essays ever on Martin!, March 17, 2012
This review is from: Agnes Martin (Dia Foundation) (Hardcover)
I bought this on a lark when my local store had a deep discount night. Wow, I was NOT disappointed! Agnes Martin is quite an enigma to me (I'm a professional painter), but I am intrigued with her work. I find that the artists whose works intrigue me, nag at me, are the most important to my work (even when I, at first, don't "like" their works). So good writing about Martin is something I keep an eye out for. I have read the "standards," even the newer 3X Abstraction. But two essays stand out in this book: one by Jonathan Katz, and one by Michael Newman. They were so informative about Martin and how to approach the works from her life and from a philosophical/phenomenological view that I am tempted to go back and re-read the essays that came before. I just wrote to my local art school's librarian to recommend purchasing this for their library (something I have only done once before).

Although there are 28 full-color plates (some of the best reproductions I have ever seen--Martin's work is devilishly hard to depict in print), it's helpful to have access to another Martin resource if you're not familiar with her work. In addition there are photos and diagrams.

I have yellow stickies all over the place in this book and expect it to be important as I write my dissertation.

3.0 out of 5 stars scholarship = good. reproductions = meh., January 19, 2012
=mew= ('round phila) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Agnes Martin (Dia Foundation) (Hardcover)
Is anyone else disappointed with this volume? I think the essays are solid and informative, but I was hoping the images would take center stage. Agnes Martin's works are too seldom seen, so I wanted her paintings LARGE on the page, to really see those details of her painstaking process, the texture and tactility. I'm sure they are difficult to reproduce well, but still. Most are a mere 4 or 5 inches square. Don't get me wrong, the book contains many 4c images, but they are painfully little and hard to appreciate fully. I love the book, just wish it had fulfilled my desire for lush reproductions too.

5.0 out of 5 stars extraordinary writing, inspiring to artists, academics, public alike, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Agnes Martin (Dia Foundation) (Hardcover)
Extraordinarily written, of all of the Martin retrospectives, this set of work, most notably Lynne Cooke, Zoe Leonard and Christina Bryan Rosenberger, show us what makes Martin such a sought after artist. Well worth the buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Agnes, March 3, 2013
This review is from: Agnes Martin (Dia Foundation) (Hardcover)
The book itself is enjoyably intimate. The essays are fantastic and range across a series of perspectives. The plates are disappointingly small.

3.0 out of 5 stars Far Out Intellectuals Wrote This....Be Prepared to Sleep, November 22, 2013
This review is from: Agnes Martin (Dia Foundation) (Hardcover)
I've always loved coming into contact with Martin's work. It is very difficult to find any text that seems to offer the 'real' deal. This book, although crafted beautifully by the publisher, seems to drown me with artsy-***rtsy dreck. Martin's work seems to whisper her soul to you. While this author combines many points of view, at first perusal, they all seem like they've been professors far too long tucked away in some art department. The illustrations are nice, but too small to get the feel an actual Martin work impresses upon you. The best parts of the book are the quotes from Martin herself. This author seems to keep Roget's Thesaurus a little too handy. Really, you can write "some" sentences in relatively plain English and still elucidate your concepts. Agnes Martin is no easy artist to round up however, so I can understand a bit of philosophical leeway...but some of the paragraphs have so many over-intellectualized words, it's difficult to decipher. That's just the first author and contributor. The others seem to either try desperately to write in the way Martin painted, or completely go off the rails with their own version of what they consider artistic writing. However, there are some lovely passages as well, and a lot of content directly from Martin and her life. The photos in some of the contributions don't much seem even slightly relative. I'm going to keep trying to get thru this book...for the sake of knowing Martin's life more intimately...but I doubt at this point I will accomplish the knowledge by this book alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 2, 2014
Alby Maccarone Jr (Nantucket, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Agnes Martin (Dia Foundation) (Hardcover)
Perfect everything and a great read

Agnes Martin (Dia Foundation)
Agnes Martin (Dia Foundation) by Lynne Cooke (Hardcover - January 24, 2012)
$60.00 $40.99