5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - A New Wine Preserver
Published on January 16, 2011 by Call me RED

2.0 out of 5 stars Wine Balloon. Failure mode
The Wine Balloon is clever and effective. I can keep opened bottles of wine for up to 3 days at room temperature without noticeable degradation. This way I don't have to wait for refrigerated wine to warm up before I can enjoy it.

Published on August 21, 2011 by Peter Vaughan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Wine Balloon. Failure mode, August 21, 2011
Peter Vaughan "P. Vaughan" (St. Petersburg, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Air Cork Wine Preserver Replacement Balloon (Kitchen)

The balloon method is much cheaper than buying pressurized cans of inert gas -- which also works, by the way. The balloon method is also cheaper than the alternative of dropping a thin, plastic disk onto the wine surface so as to exclude the air. This method costs about a dollar a bottle, because you can't get the disk out to re-use it.

BUT (and it's a big BUT): The balloon itself is very fragile. It worked for about a month and then I inflated it without being able to see it through an opaque bottle of red wine.
It blocked incoming air as advertised, but I couldn't tell that it had inflated enough. So I kept inflating it and it burst.
Now what?
Amazon doesn't advertise spare balloons, but <...> does. They want $3.50 if you order one at the time of purchase of the kit. Otherwise it costs $5.00.
Up to you.
I suppose that if you have a bright light behind the bottle when you are inflating the balloon, you can see when it is big enough, and you stop before the balloon bursts.

September 7th 2011:
Using a replacement balloon I started again. As I said earlier, things work well if you can avoid over-inflating the balloon. Also, don't let the weight of the tube and the 'squeezer' bulb drop onto the balloon, because the combined weight on the neck of the balloon when it is fully-inflated may be too much. Just watch the balloon through the bottle and keep things straight. Voila!
Since the original review I have used Wine Balloon a number of times, and have been impressed by how well it keeps wine for days at room temperature without spoiling it.
Buy it and try it!

December 1st 2011:
More problems. A small hole developed in the balloon, and it collapsed, allowing the air to get at my wine.
Deccember 15th 2011: I'm on my spare balloon, and so far so good. The balloon is definitely the weak spot in an otherwise useful device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - A New Wine Preserver, January 16, 2011
This review is from: Air Cork Wine Preserver Replacement Balloon (Kitchen)
I did not buy my Wine Balloon through Amazon but I just ran across it here and needed to comment. It is finally something new in this catagory of wine preservers. It is so intuitive and makes complete visual sense. No pumping and no gas that you cant see or arent really sure that either of these primary methods are working. With the Wine Balloon you simply lower the balloon down to the wine, pump it up and you can perfectly see that the balloon has sealed the wine from the outside air. Go ahead, turn the bottle upside down! You may have a small bubble in the bottom but now at least you know exactly how much air is in contact with your wine for the next day or so until you have another glass or finish the bottle.
I personally think that it works perfectly. Wine stays in great condition whether it's on my counter for a few days or in the refrigerator. Just a great idea. This should be what everybody uses. There are so many of the pump type preservers out there and on Amazon but all of the folks in Napa will tell you that they don't work effectively and ruin the aromatics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Win Balloon is Great!, July 20, 2011
Harland W. Weatherly "HWW" (Highland Village, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Air Cork Wine Preserver Replacement Balloon (Kitchen)
I saw this invention on the Shark Show. The inventor was offered multiple deals in which he promptly refused all and decided to go on his own. I found his invention on Amazon and promptly purchased it. It is a great invention, works well and is a great conversation piece. I am extremely happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to Pair with Air Cork, October 16, 2013
This review is from: Air Cork Wine Preserver Replacement Balloon (Kitchen)
I bought my Air Cork and then bought this little replacement balloon just in case. I'm glad I did because I love using the Air Cork so much, so when/if the first balloon's life is over I can have this little guy handy and not have to worry! It's also great to include with the Air Cork as a gift. People ALWAYS are so curious to see how my Air Cork works and if my guests end up being super intrigued or impressed, I make a note to get them an Air Cork a host/hostess gift or for an upcoming holiday. It never disappoints!

3.0 out of 5 stars love the product, May 13, 2014
This review is from: Air Cork Wine Preserver Replacement Balloon (Kitchen)
i love the product system as a whole but this one balloon for whatever reason was a little wonky for lack of better terminology! which is bound to happen...so don't take my 3 stars to mean the whole system isn't great cause it is. and these balloons are cheap enough to replace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works just like on the Shark Tank, June 3, 2014
Adam D. Omega (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Air Cork Wine Preserver Replacement Balloon (Kitchen)
I give it 4 stars because it does not work on a 1 1/2 liter bottle. I've popped 2 balloons that way so far. It only works on the 750 ml bottles and it works wonderfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works!, May 15, 2014
Mater Lea (WDC Area, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Air Cork Wine Preserver Replacement Balloon (Kitchen)
Bought as gift for husband. He's tried multiple gadgets to seal his wine. This is the one he says works. Vacuum pumps, special plugs, etc., are resting in the drawer now.

UPDATE: December 2014. Gave my husband more balloons in his stocking this a.m. They're so small we lose them. The ones we haven't lost still work well, none have broken. Merry Christmas!

1.0 out of 5 stars Good concept.... very poor execution, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Air Cork Wine Preserver Replacement Balloon (Kitchen)
I saw this on the TV show "Shark Tank" and was very enthused about a product that would preserve partially finished bottles of good wine better than the vacuum plugs. I ordered it online immediately and started using it as soon as it arrived. The first balloon popped after the third use. Good thing I bought an extra balloon when I ordered it. I wrote directly to the company about the balloon failure and they were very apologetic and sent a replacement balloon. In the mean time I used the second balloon to seal my fine wine. The second balloon popped after just two uses. I figured maybe the first batch that I bought was defective. When the company sent me the third balloon, I used that one just once and it popped in the bottle. It is a great concept to seal out any air in the bottle with a balloon. I just wish it was a quality product that did not have such a high failure rate. The bottom line is that this is a useless piece of junk so if you feel like throwing $25 out the window by all means buy it. You can always tell your oenophile friends what a cool gadget you bought even if you end up ruining good wine and throwing the contraption in the garbage.

5.0 out of 5 stars love those wine balloons, September 10, 2013
This review is from: Air Cork Wine Preserver Replacement Balloon (Kitchen)
now that i have learned how to use this product and not over inflate the balloons seem to last well and they do such a good job of preserving wine for more than a day or two!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, August 11, 2014
This review is from: Air Cork Wine Preserver Replacement Balloon (Kitchen)
I saw this on a TV show and purchased the pump, It works very well and as advertised but you will need a spare/replacement bladder at some point.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›