5.0 out of 5 stars Very quick delivery!
I do not know ... yet ... how this functions, because I cleaned my filter before inserting this (actually my son did it for me!), but it arrived before I even realized I had ordered it ... in about a day, it seemed ... and the shipping was free. Thank you!
Published 23 months ago by MR

1.0 out of 5 stars the science doesn't add up
This product stands on one premise, that with a clean filter the air flow will be too slow to cause a whistle sound and with a dirty filter, the higher velocity will cause an audible whistle.

This of course assumes there is only one correct air velocity for a clean running system. This is far from accurate.

#1: There is a difference in air flow...
Published 19 months ago by Brian D.

1.0 out of 5 stars the science doesn't add up, June 13, 2013
Brian D. (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Air Filter Furnace Whistle (Tools & Home Improvement)

#1: There is a difference in air flow when you compare clean filters of different brands. Or within the same brand, of different filtering levels. Or certainly between different types of filters (spun vs pleated vs washable). Note the "pressure drop" field here:

#2: Each furnace will have variations on air velocity. Older furnaces have 3 speeds that are set manually with a jumper, and typically you set one speed to use in heat mode and a separate speed for cool mode. My furnace is on HIGH for AC, to create as much air movement in the summer as possible, while set to LOW for the winter heating season to gently bring in warmth and let it rise slowly from the ducts near the floor through natural convection. Your furnace may be configured differently (or you may even have a more modern automatic 2 speed blower in which case air flow slows down to save energy as needed automatically). Which blower speed did they design for?

#3: Even duct size can affect air flow speed - again what did they design for?

There's too many variables for a "one whistle fits all" design. It's not at all surprising that people aren't getting a whistle noise and their filters are clogged.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't Attach It!, July 22, 2012
Cat Crazy (Midwest U.S.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Air Filter Furnace Whistle (Tools & Home Improvement)
I like the idea of this product, but don't see how it can work with the design of my air filters. I have several cats, and am never sure when is the right time to change my furnace air filter. So, I ordered this product, thinking it would give me a better idea of when to do that. The filter I currently have installed, and a couple of others I have on reserve, all have wire honeycombed throughout the filter, and I cannot attach the whistle. I don't buy the cheapest filters, more like the mid-range-priced ones, so maybe the cheaper ones don't have the wire in them and so would allow me to attach the Air Filter Furnace Whistle. I'll report back after I have checked out other kinds of filters.

1.0 out of 5 stars No whistle, May 23, 2013
This review is from: Air Filter Furnace Whistle (Tools & Home Improvement)
I installed this as per the instructions, and waited for over two months. No whistle. I inspected the filter, found it very dirty, and concluded this item doesn't work -- at least, if it does, it should have worked a lot sooner! Also, what if the darn thing goes off in the night??

1.0 out of 5 stars Has not worked yet, February 16, 2013
This review is from: Air Filter Furnace Whistle (Tools & Home Improvement)
I installed this device on 12/6/12 and have not heard it "whistle". Today 2/16/12 I checked the filter an it was FILTHY. One can only assume the product did not function as advertised.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesnt really work., April 22, 2014
This review is from: Air Filter Furnace Whistle (Tools & Home Improvement)
I guess it might be fine under some circumstances, but i didnt hear it whistle for many months and when i finally gave up on it and changed the filter it was FILTHY. Cant depend on it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong filters?, April 16, 2014
Steve H (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Air Filter Furnace Whistle (Tools & Home Improvement)
My furnace filters have a sort of chicken-wire mesh built into them. I suppose I could have snipped that with a wire cutter and then pushed this through, but I thought meh, why bother. They should make the part that pushes through the filter only as big as is needed to let the whistle work.

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of money, March 9, 2014
This review is from: Air Filter Furnace Whistle (Tools & Home Improvement)
Don't waste your money. Doesn't work. I left my filter in extra long just to wait until the whistle went off. It never did - after three months, the filter was visibly DONE, dirty, way overdue for replacement, and the whistle never went off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work at all., July 2, 2013
This review is from: Air Filter Furnace Whistle (Tools & Home Improvement)
Don't waste your money. This didn't do a thing. Hubby even tried to suck air through it and it still didn't whistle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Using it., May 3, 2013
This review is from: Air Filter Furnace Whistle (Tools & Home Improvement)
I stopped using it as it may come apart and fall inside of my air handler.
It seems not to snap or lock enough for me.
The sound was not loud enough for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, December 17, 2014