5.0 out of 5 stars See it in action!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:40 Mins
My son has another Air Hogs' helicopter so he is pretty experienced flying these--but this is his first helicopter that actually shoots something and that did make things a lot more fun.

Published on September 27, 2012 by V. Hutson

Published on October 5, 2012 by Nathan Andersen

5.0 out of 5 stars See it in action!, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Air Hogs - Battle Tracker with Yellow Disc Firing Helicopter (Toy)
Length:: 0:40 Mins

The set comes with a helicopter that shoots small disks and a battle station that shoots nerf-like projectiles. The goal of the helicopter is to hit the radar dish at the top of the battle station which then shuts down the station. The goal of the battle station is to shoot down the helicopter. Several times my son was able to hit the dish from close range--but it wasn't hard enough to actually turn off the station. We haven't had enough time to determine why but if I do I will add to this post.

The feature I found the most fascinating is that the battle station can actually be set to automatic and it automatically tracks and shoots at the helicopter. The video I included has the station set to automatic so you can see how well it tracks the helicopter on its own. Otherwise, it does have a remote control that would allow a playmate to control the battle station. This is great when you have more than one child who wants to play.

The battle station takes helicopter take a total of 10 AA batteries. The helicopter needs to be recharged after a couple minutes of flight--but that is pretty typical of these light weight flying vehicles that cannot carry their own batteries due to weight issues. I haven't timed how long it takes to recharge the helicopter but if I do I will post that later as well.

Another nice feature of this set is that both the battle station and helicopter could be used in a variety of different play settings to shoot at any small item (blocks, action figures, etc.) you want to knock over.

Over the years we've owned a lot of different Air Hogs products and this may prove to be one of our favorites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Taking Remote Control Fun to the next Level, October 12, 2012
Chris "Okie" (Bountiful, UT United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I must say I was initially rather skeptical when I read the product description. Our family already has some experience with the Air Hogs helicopters, but adding in an automatic tracking-and-firing missile turret...I had a hard time believing it would live up to expectations. Still, I figured even if it didn't work exactly as we hoped that it would be a fun distraction for my 11 year old's birthday. :-)

When the box arrived, I was initially a little surprised at the size. I expected the turret to be bigger than the chopper, but I was pretty impressed with the overall size of the product. As with other Air Hogs products, it just "looks cool" and looks to be made of good quality stuff. As has been mentioned in other reviews, this does require 10 (TEN) AA batteries. Fortunately we had just enough. Unfortunately it took much longer to get the toy out of the box than it did to find the batteries. One thing's pretty sure...it's unlikely that the turret or chopper will come loose in the package and get broken. They are strapped up inside by a multitude of clips and cables.

We finally got everything out and batteries in place and hooked the helicopter up to start charging. While we waited for the helicopter to charge, we powered up the turret.

Our first reaction was "Whoa!! That's cool...ominous...and loud." The turret speaks in a robotic voice announcing its presence and purpose. It cycled through a brief (~5-10 second) demo showing that it could pivot on its axes and then it tilted back and pretended to fire its payload (it made the missile launching sounds, but didn't actually fire anything in the demo). As mentioned in the product description, it comes with two modes: Automatic and Manual. Since the helicopter wasn't yet charged, we pulled out the wired remote control and tried manual mode for a few minutes.

The controls for the turret were pretty intuitive and smooth. It took my 8 year old daughter a minute to get used to the y-axis inversion (down is up and up is down) but soon all of the kids were having fun rotating the turret and firing at each other across the room. The Battle Tracker fires Nerf-Style darts so they should be pretty safe for indoor use and even firing around people. Naturally you'll want to avoid face/eye shots, but otherwise you should be fine. It didn't have a huge range but if you titled upwards and fired you could probably average 15 feet in distance. The tracker alternates firing from its left and right missile bays. Because of this, precise aiming is sometimes difficult as you have to account for being either an inch to the right or left of center.

Finally the helicopter was charged and ready to go. Even though we have played with Air Hogs copters in the past, I must still readily admit that they do take significant practice in order to fly them well. None of us are very adept pilots and we often found ourselves dashing to and fro frantically rather than smoothly sailing through the air. The helicopter fires Nerf-Style disks to be used to fight back against the Battle Tracker. When combined with the difficulty of flying, we found ourselves having a tough time being accurate with our shots.

Now it was time to find out just how well the auto-tracking worked. We re-loaded the missile bays, switched the Battle Tracker to "auto" and my son started flying the helicopter. At first, nothing happened. The Battle Tracker sat silent and waited. Then, once the helicopter was within about 6 feet, the tracker came awake and twisted back and forth for a brief second before it started firing missile after missile.

The kids (as well as my wife and I) laughed with glee as we watched the missile turret swivel back and forth and doing a pretty good job at firing in the general direction of the helicopter. My son yelped frantically as he tried to control the helicopter enough to keep it safe from the barrage of missiles. He crashed a few times and got off a few shots, but there never was any danger to the Battle Tracker. The tracker itself didn't maneuver as quickly as the helicopter, so when it frantically flew back and forth, the tracker had a hard time keeping up or coming up with good shots. It never actually hit the helicopter, but it came pretty close a few times. I think that once we get better at the piloting controls so that we're flying more smooth/realistically, the tracker might be able to actually hit us in auto-mode.

With the helicopter charged, we switched back to manual mode and let the kids take turns firing at each other from both helicopter and battle tracker. The helicopter continued to prove difficult to control and seldom came close to hitting the turret. The kids controlling the Battle Tracker felt like they had an easier job of things but weren't ever able to connect a missile with the helicopter.

Still, after playing for a while, the kids had a ton of fun. Even though nobody had struck a critical blow, they all wanted to keep trying. When the helicopter was down for a recharge, my son pulled out his Nerf gun while my other son took manual control of the turret and they took turns firing at each other across the room.

Overall I'd say that this toy definitely impressed. It certainly has a ways to go in terms of precision...some of that to be on our side in getting better control of the helicopter and some to come from the auto-tracker having a more precise shot at us. Still, it worked rather well and was a lot of fun for everybody. Even those not actively controlling anything had a blast.

*********

One small caveat/warning which sadly comes from tragic experience. The age recommendation on this toy is 10 and up. The soft darts and the outrageous fun make it enjoyable for younger kids as well. We had this out at my son's birthday party and a lot of younger kids were having fun playing with this and watching it be played. The tragedy came from younger kids working to recharge the helicopter. The charging method involves connecting the helicopter to the remote control via a cable attached to a small clip on the helicopter. The clip is protected in a recess on the helicopter but it is still just a small piece of plastic and metal. Unfortunately someone connected the cable from the controller onto the clip from the helicopter to charge it...and twisted or bent the connecter and snapped off the clip from the helicopter. This makes it impossible to charge the helicopter. The kids still had fun using "manual mode" on the Battle Tracker and having kids with Nerf Guns fight back, but the automatic tracking won't work with our other Air-Hogs because they don't have the microchip (or whatever) in order to let the turret track it. (Our other helicopter doesn't shoot either). So just a warning...make sure someone with delicate hands is in charge of connecting the charger to the helicopter.

**********

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a lot of fun, once you get the hang of it - but after several days of play the helicopter fizzled, October 5, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
You're the pilot of a stealth helicopter, flying over unfamiliar and uninhabitable terrain when suddenly out of nowhere missiles start firing at you. It turns out, there is a highly sensitive, unmanned robotic battle station designed to follow your movements and destroy you. You try to outmaneuver, but it just keeps firing. Suddenly, you're hit but you manage to stay up in the air, and decide to go on the offense, firing directly upon the tracker and destroying it in a single, well aimed shot.

Something like that, I guess, is what you have to imagine here. Or, you can just think: this is a hilarious and fun toy, I'm remote-controlling a helicopter and this robot-thing on the ground is tracking my every movement, announcing its strikes loudly in a scary robotic voice. My sons and I couldn't stop laughing as we played with it. When you have the tracker on automatic, it's just fun to watch, as it follows the movements of the helicopter. It just makes it more intense, I guess, to maneuver the copter. Most of the shots fall short, unless the helicopter's pretty close, but ... and I don't know why, it's just funny to watch. I guess that's perverse because I generally don't like war toys. I guess thinking it's one unmanned robot against another drone helicopter makes it more palatable. Anyhow it's fun. You can also have two "players" and control the tracker with an attached remote. That part's pretty easy.

It takes longer to get the hang of the helicopter. First, you've got to get used to hovering. If you elevate too quickly, you can't slow down and hover without dropping directly to the ground. So you have to rise up slowly, making no sudden moves. It takes longer to get used to navigating left and right and around obstacles, but a few sessions with this and we got pretty good. Only after getting good at flying are you likely to get anywhere with aiming the foam disks that the helicopter can shoot to defend itself against the tracker. Anyhow, for the first few days playing with this, we thought it was a great toy. I was going thinking when we first got it that boys at a sleepover would love this, and thought my youngest son would be the only one who liked it. It turns out, though, that my older son and me and mom and sisters had a lot of fun with this too.

The problem came after about a week. We'd charge the helicopter completely (there's an indicator that says when it's fully charged) and start to fly it, and the blades would rotate but it could never quite get up in the air. We've tried adjusting the blades, but it really does just seem like the motor has weakened a bit after a week's use (not constant either, but a half hour to an hour every day). All it will do now is sort of hop a bit, but doesn't elevate and doesn't hover anymore. Not sure if this is typical with Air Hogs, for the engine to wear out so quickly, but if it is that's very disappointing. In any case we found ours to be quite disappointing. In short: we loved this toy ... until it stopped working right after a week.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the whole family, October 25, 2012
Great Cook "Great Cook" (Santa Monica, California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not going into detail about what comes with this toy, and everyone else has.

My older son, and my 4 yr old Grandson had such fun and excitment with this set.
My Son use to fly large outside air planes, so this was easy and fun for him.

Even though this says its for older children, the 4 yr old would shoot the Battle Tracker at the
helicopter,and hit it a few times, while my son flew it.

The helicopter was flown in a large living room with a high ceiling,. It can fly for over 40 mins before having to
to be recharged.
The Battle Tracker will shoot a far distance in the house, up to 17 ft up in the air at the plane, and about 20 ft across the room, or farther.

Even though the 4 yr old is young, he had so much fun with this toy. We did not let him fly the plane. Only shooting off the
the rockets at the plane, and reloading.

I think it is a fun family game , playing with someone who knows how to fly the plane, You do not want to crash the plane and break it.
Although it does seem sturdy.

I think this toy is good for Eye, and Hand coordination, and learning how to share..Besides all the excitement that goes with a toy like this
one..

4.0 out of 5 stars If you can get the package open, you may have some fun., December 12, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
1/1/2013 Update: A more comprehensive update will be posted soon. Here are some new tidbits until then. Charge time is just under 40 minutes. Flight time is five minutes, then it slowly becomes harder to control, and past six minutes, it's un-flyable then dead. The manual states to wait 15 minutes after use before recharging to let the batteries cool down. This means, you get five minutes of play time every hour. The discs the helicopter shoots go blazing fast - very cool. I already lost one, but it comes with seven and says to only load four in the helicopter so maybe that's why there are extras. The base unit holds 12 missiles, and comes with 18 total, so there are extras for that too. This thing is very creepy when it is in automatic mode, scanning around (a full 360 degrees) and talking in it's neat robot voice (which sounds like the Zarvox voice in the Mac speech synthesizer). There are a few nitpicky quirks -- like the middle section of the manual coming upside down and, therefore, folded against the booklet (big deal), and no details on how long it takes to charge. The base, when in manual mode, activates and then pans left and right, and up and down, as if calibrating, announcing that it is ready to go. After a few minutes of inactivity, it will shut down in whatever position it was in. The switch to turn it on is below the back of the unit, so as you reach in to turn it on, you need to move your hand within a second or so, before it comes to life and starts doing it's calibration movements. It's really cool, if you don't mind the thought of an autonomous robot that can shoot on its own. These details will be expanded and added to the review below soon, but I wanted to add them here until then. And now, the original review...

---

I will revise this review later with more specific details, but I wanted to start out by saying this was the single hardest retail package I have ever had to get open. Sure, there are bubble pack items you have to cut open, but if you have a pair of sciscors, those present little resistance.

But this thing... Two adults spend far too much time undoing twist tie ropes, removing tape, pulling cardboard pieces. It was ridiculous and ended up being quite funny as we got through layer after layer.

I will say that this device is not good to bring in to the office unless you have a very cool boss, and there is no way to keep the extra missiles and discs that the unit shoots -- you can load up a certain amount, but there are extras -- so I expect these parts would dwindle quickly with a child in control.

If this had been a gift for an eager child (rather than an old adult, who heard about it on The Giz Wiz podcast), I think the child might have ended in tears if they couldn't get their new toy out.

But it sure looks neat. And it's just as difficult to fly as any other toy helecopter device I have used.

4.0 out of 5 stars That is one mean robot!!, October 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I fist got this toy, I didn't think that the robot could REALLY track and shoot down my helicopter. After learning how to fly the helicopter, I put the Battle Tracker robot on 1-player automatic, and had at it. Not only did the Battle Tracker follow me like a bad habit, it even shot at my helicopter after it was down! Shooting accurately, I might add. A robot got me! So, my suggestion is to practice, practice, practice with the helicopter and be able to duck and weave before taking on the Battle Tracker. That thing can track.

First off, this kit needs to be opened very carefully. The helicopter is fairly light and it might be easy to bend or break a part. So have a good pair of scissors handy and take it out of the box slow and steady. (If given as a Christmas present, be sure not to unpack it until all of the wrapping is cleaned up.) Then get about a dozen AA batteries--get the alkaline kind because the tracker and helicopter will give it a workout. Using a small screwdriver, open the battery compartments of both the Battle Tracker and the helicopter RC base. Secure the compartments and go through the testing. The instructions are detailed, but this is a setup that you need to pay attention to.

Both the Battle Tracker and helicopter first Nerf-type weapons. The tracker firsts clothe pin size Nerf-like missiles that will knock down the helicopter and the chopper fires disks to disable the tracker. (I'd suggest dodging the Battle Tracker until it runs out of missiles and then go shoot it with disks!) The Battle Tracker can be used in a manual mode with a human opponent as well as be placed on the automatic mode. A small control panel can be dislodged from the back of the Battle Tracker and control rotation and pitch of the tracker and fire missiles--a wire unwraps from the controller. Some of the labels are black-on-black and hard to read; so start off with some good light so that you can read the labels on the toys. The helicopter is charged from the batteries in the controller and two lights flash when it's ready. Mine took off like a scalded cat; so work the controls gingerly and I'd suggest a thick carpet be used as a practice platform.

The minimum age is 10, and I'd concur. Power, pitch and yaw on the helicopter are a handful just to do a simple hover or move in a controlled manner. Half the time when I flew the thing, it took off like an untied balloon wrecking havoc on my wife's indoor plants. The Battle Tracker in "human" mode is simple to move and fire, but in the auto-mode, that thing is deadly. I never could do as well as the auto-mode.

I think that a couple of 10-14 year olds could have a blast with this toy-RC controlled helicopter and killer tracker. The tracker is so good at what it does, it is a challenge for any kid over 10; so for a single-kid toy, it's a lot of fun as well. I saw absolutely no danger in the missiles or disks; so it is NOT a 'put-your-eye-out' toy. It has little or no educational value that I could see. It's just pure fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the Whole Family!, December 18, 2012
Wow toys have come a long way since I was a kid! The concept of this toy alone is incredible but I was skeptical as to how well it would really work. Toys this complicated tend to be more impressive in the box than out. I definitely needed my husbands help to figure this one out! Technical is his department. I just got to sit back and observe. ☺

First of all, this is rated for 10 plus so I knew it would be too much for my son to do on his own. However, he LOVED the helicopter and probably would have been happy with that alone! Unfortunately, for a four year old the controls were a little bit too much and he was easily frustrated when it wasn't as simple as he thought to control. There are more buttons and options than the simplified remotes he's used to. My husband had no trouble with it so if used for the suggested age, I'm sure it would be simple to pick up.

The robot battle station was awesome! It is a robot named A.R.T. (automated robotic turret) that kind of looks like a plane. It talks like a robot, and gives commands, which my kids got a kick out of (maybe I did too a little) and shoots nerf darts at the helicopter by tracking it. This is where I was skeptical. Would it really be able to "track" a helicopter and shoot at it? Why yes it did! It wasn't entirely accurate though. It would definitely shoot in the general direction but didn't get a whole lot of hits.

You are also able to shoot at A.R.T. with the helicopter. If you hit the top panel, it deactivates. This seemed easier to succeed at than hitting the helicopter. Makes sense since it's a bigger non-moving target. You can play this alone or with two players. The robot has it's own remote as well.

My husband and kids thought this was amazing and I'll admit, it was a pretty remarkable toy. However, as a mom, when I saw it required TEN batteries, I must admit I cringed. I know most cool toys require batteries but ten? Ouch! It also doesn't come with any so stock up if you are buying this as a gift! Nothing worse than getting a new toy a kid can't play with right away. This one is going to have a regular maintenance cost along with its initial cost. The helicopter didn't need batteries and could be charged but it doesn't last long before it needed to be charged.

My husband and kids loved this and didn't think it had any drawbacks. My husband is definitely a big kid so I'm sure all dads and kids out there would LOVE this for Christmas. Practical moms might not love the battery requirement but if that doesn't faze you get out there and buy this awesome toy!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a blast, December 6, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun and exciting toy. While the instructions warn against it, it is also great fun to just use it to shoot at people. In fact, that is probably more fun than its intended purpose. I would give 5 stars, but the helicopter is more difficult to maneuver than other RC helicopters that I've used. It's not exactly worthy of an obstacle course, even with a lot of practice. It is more of a hovercraft that turns from side to side. Also, the helicopter has to be frequently recharged, but that is typical of helicopters of this type. That said, the toy is a lot of fun and is one of the kids' favorite toys. The technology that goes into this is amazing and frankly, I did not believe that this toy would match the hype. But it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy, November 2, 2013
I bought this for my nephew's birthday and he love's it. The only down side is that he also shoots his dog with it. But nevertheless it is a great Air Hogs combo.

1.0 out of 5 stars CHEAP CRAP!!!!!!, December 26, 2012
My nephew wanted a flying helicopter for Christmas. After reading several reviews of various different products, I decided to go with the Air Hogs-Battle Tracker. You should have seen his face when he opened it. After spending 45 minutes trying to get it out of the packaging, It worked AWESOME... For about five minutes. We thought it needed to be charged since it was fresh from the box. We got it hooked up to the charger... Tried it again 3hrs. later and NOTHING. It was dead. Thought we may have charged it wrong. So, we read the directions several times -We had everything set up correctly. The helicopter still wouldn't fly. He got a full five minutes of play time out of it, and now, I'm looking at it back in it's box, dead as a door nail. My review of this product is a BIG FAT negative. Save your money, it's a cheap piece of plastic that is NOT worth the price tag. Buyer beware! The worst, most disappointing purchase I've ever made.

Air Hogs - Battle Tracker with Yellow Disc Firing Helicopter