4.0 out of 5 stars A few tweaks and a little patience = excellent fun!
Published on December 25, 2011 by Bob Gantry

1.0 out of 5 stars $70 worth of absolute garbage!
Published on November 30, 2011 by Brian

4.0 out of 5 stars A few tweaks and a little patience = excellent fun!, December 25, 2011
This review is from: Air Hogs R/C Hawk Eye Blue Sky (Toy)
I got this toy so that my son and I could fly "on a whim" when the time and wind permit. I learned to first fly on an early model of this (w/o the camera) about 15 years ago. We charged this toy up, read the manual, and set out to fly. First few flights were a bit tough as the airplane kept "porpoising" (riding suddenly higher up, stalling, nosediving, and starting over). I backed off the throttle to about 1/2 into the wind to 2/3s out of the wind and we started climbing higher and higher. Turns are a bit tough because you have to apply throttle to execute. Eventually reached about 100 feet off the ground and 150 feet away. The plane was still controllable but my old eyes had a hard time telling which direction it was facing. So I cut the throttle and let it glide in my wife's car (bang!). No damage. In total I had about 15 flights with 2 recharges.

Here are a couple of thoughts for kids that are struggling:
1) Make sure that you have little to no wind. Once you are pretty good at flying it can probably handle up to 5mph.
2) Stand up, give it 1/2 to 2/3s throttle and just fly it straight. With a little practice this will teach you that you have to keep the pilot's perspective to "left / right" while turning (one of the hardest things to do!). :)
3) Once you've had several flights straight, try to fly and gentle nudge the rudder (the right stick) left or right for 1/2 sec at a time and allow it to return to center (this is because it steers the plane by creating a speed difference between the left and right engines). You want to turn very wide and very slowly to get the hang of it.
4) Because of this wing design the plane isn't exactly "super stable". It will require pretty constant watch and input.
5) When taking photos and videos do your best to fly flat and remember that you have to hold down the 'video' button to continue to record.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with. Other than the flight design (the earlier models were more stable) this is an excellent plane to start with.

1.0 out of 5 stars $70 worth of absolute garbage!, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Air Hogs R/C Hawk Eye Blue Sky (Toy)
After reading a few reviews and even watching a few video reviews, we chose this Airplane over the RC Cars with built-in video/still camera because it seemed easy to fly, fun, and durable. We had to wait about three days after buying it to try flying it because of high wind, and my son was getting antsy. When we finally got the chance to try it out, we were immediately disappointed.

First, the plane is a real pain to even launch. You have to be at full throttle before even trying to 'throw' it to launch, and then the angle of the throw must be absolutely perfect for it not to immediately nose-dive into the ground, or flutter a bit before...nose-diving into the ground. We tried soft throws, hard throws, straight throws, lobbed throws, with wind, against wind, cross wind, etc...it seemed that throwing it straight really hard with the wind yielded the best results for a successful launch.

Second, when we finally got the plane airborne, one of two things happened: it would either get out of range (100' advertised range was not experienced here, and we were in a wide-open park with no trees or anything within 200-300 feet), stall, and nose-dive into the ground, or it would hit a slight wind gust, barrel roll, and nose-dive into the ground. Either way, even when it did fly, it was constantly turning right and there wasn't enough time to trim it to fly straight before it would either get out of range or once again, nose-dive into the ground.

Third, we got it to fly about 4 times in half an hour, and the longest flight was maybe 10 seconds. The instructions say to maintain full throttle to gain altitude and release throttle to descend, but we held the throttle at max the entire time, and the thing always lost altitude. I don't think it ever got more than 10 feet off the ground.

The pictures and video that we managed to get were okay for something like this. They were of low quality, but you could at least make out faces and objects in both. I would have really liked to get SOMETHING salvageable from this, but never did.

The literal nail in the coffin here was the last time the plane took a nose-dive from no more than about 8 feet up. The foam nose broke, but was held on by wiring inside.

I am returning this item immediately and getting an RC car with video/still camera. At least I know it'll probably roll on the ground with minimal effort and it won't crash and burn if it gets out of range. Lesson learned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flies great, neat videos, December 27, 2011
Campin' Cowpoke (Allen, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:51 Mins

My 9 year old flies this plane pretty well for it being his first RC plane. I have experience at large gas powered RC planes, so I've got the background to help my kids be successful at this.

Right out of the box, it's a little tail heavy but the stalls are gentle and do not result in a crash. Full throttle hand launches straight into the wind (you have to fly this thing in almost still air) work best for us. You absolutely need to use the trim knob to have any prayer of getting it to fly straight. It is very durable, it has landed hard on the hard dirt and concrete and is none the worse for wear. You'd have to really not know what you are doing to smash this thing. This is my experience with the AirHogs A10 that my older son had too. Very durable. The run time of the motor on full throttle is pretty much the same as the other twin motor airhogs, less than 10 min for sure, but long enough to get your thrills. One absolute that must be followed for these tiny little rc planes is there must be almost ZERO wind. Here in Texas, I won't even think about flying during the middle of the day. There is almost always too much wind. Right after sunup or an hour before sundown are your best bets for good conditions. I tell my son to look at the very top of the tallest trees around, and if they are moving, we don't fly. It stinks, but it's just the way it has to be with a small, lightweight plane.

When the videos are viewed on the computer, of course they're not the best, but it's still an amazing technological achievement in a toy of this price. Love that it charges off the usb port of a computer or any other usb charger. It's also easy to get the videos and pics off of the plane while you're connected and charging. My singular (minor) complaint is that the range of the 2.4GHz transmitter is not very far. The other airhogs stuff in the 70MHz band goes much farther. It is a challenge for my 9 year old to keep it in range, and even I sometimes have difficulty. But, overall for the price, I'm not sure I can really complain. I'm sure they will improve this in future products.

One last note - like the other airhogs dual motor planes I've had, holding the turn stick continually to one side will result in an ever tightening turn that augers into the ground. Start the plane on a turn and back off on the directional control. Then start turning out of it well before you actually want to straighten out, and you'll be about right.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem of the Skies, October 21, 2011
Dr. Abishek (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Air Hogs R/C Hawk Eye Blue Sky (Toy)
The Air Hogs Hawk Eye Blue Sky is something unexpected from Air Hogs. This "toy" was one of the most unique products from the company that executes its idea well beyond expectations. The plane is very durable with its retro design; no large delicate wings. The plane flies just like the hobby planes but requires practice. Probably the coolest feature is the camera. Though not 1080p like all the cameras in our lives, this camera gives a whole new perspective of our world. This is amazing for children and adults as well. It takes decent quality photos and videos but without sound. Overall, this is something every child should fly.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a camera. It's a plane. It's a camera plane!, March 10, 2012
This review is from: Air Hogs R/C Hawk Eye Blue Sky (Toy)
The Air Hogs R/C Hawk Eye Blue Sky offers users a camera and a plane in one single package. But is it really any good?

Durability: The plane is made of a dense styrofoam which makes it light and a bit more durable than some more expensive R/C planes. This does not mean that you want to go crashing it into the side a building and hope it survives. But for that first time R/C plane pilot this could easily be a good plane to start with. I had a couple hard landings on my first outing with this and it didn't appear to take any damage. It's light weight could prove a bit of a problem if a breeze picks up once the plane is in the air. I actually had to try crashing the plane because I had a breeze come up after I'd gotten it in the air and was watching it fly sideways while the plane was trying to move forward.

Control: Turn the plane on and turn the controller on then let the two sync up before you attempt to launch. Doesn't take very long. Once it get's up it should respond fairly easily to the controls. However you'll have to watch the plane's trim as if it isn't trimmed quite right it will want to fly around in circles. If not trimmed right you should notice it responds quickly if you turn into the direction of the circle while it wants to take a little longer to turn in the opposite direction. But trim doesn't appear to affect the planes ability to climb and dive and the plane responds fairly quickly when you increase or decrease the throttle.

Ease of Use: Take it out of the box, charge it up, put fresh batteries into the controller, and you're ready to go. You'll want a large area, as clear of trees, buildings, and any other obstructions before you try launching. To launch advance the throttle forward at least three-quarters of the way to full and then give it a gentle throw. Pretty much the kind of throw you'd use for a balsa wood glider or a paper airplane to get much distance out of it. The plane doesn't have too many controls actually needed to fly it, just throttle, directional control, and trim knob. It's fairly easy to use. Even the camera is just a push of a shoulder button, which folks used to X-box, Playstation or older model Nintendo systems should be familar with that.

Camera Quality: Hey this is a camera plane so what's the quality like. To be honest, I was plesantly surprised when I checked out the video I had recorded. I'd expected a low quality video camera and was going to be pleased if I could just make out what I was looking at. I had expected a grainy image that was a bit blurry from the movement of the plane. But what I got instead was a very clear picture. Right up until landing, then the image get's blurry as the ground get's closer to the camera itself. On my first time out with it I did take any aerial still photos, just one of me holding it which didn't look bad. Since originally writing this review I've had it out again and had a chance to take still photos in the air. I'm am quite impressed with the quality of these as I expected them to be blurry as it moved through turns. Only one photo was even slightly blurry, and that was just one item in the foreground.

Is This Easy to Learn for a First Timer?: My advice, read the instruction guide before you take it out the first time if you've never flown an R/C before. Now I've flown an R/C helicopter but this was the first R/C plan I've ever flown. Having flown the helicopter and having played with an R/C aircraft teacher at a local hobby shop probably gave me enough experince to fly this. And in my younger years I flew a lot of balsa wood gliders and paper airplanes. But if you read the instructions before you fly it the first time you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly. Again the controls are fairly basic so the beginner doesn't have to worry about much. If the instructions have been read it should only take a few minutes to learn to use the plan. learning to trim may take a bit longer, though a first timer may just be happy to get the plan up at first.

Is this plane for you? It is recommended for folks 12 and up. As such it could be a fair starting point before moving on to more advanced models. I certainly enjoyed it myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for kids and adults, but a bit beyond video game level, February 26, 2012
Length:: 0:48 Mins

This video was taken by my Blue Sky after I adjusted the elevator down just a bit. The video from the plane will look much better than this one does here on Amazon. Even the You Tube versions look better than here and they are not as good as what you get straight from the plane. Because this plane has a video camera, your best reviews may be on You Tube. Take the time and look at a number of them.

I noticed that some planes flew better than mine initially did (more steady). I think it's partly due to small differences between the planes but also because of wind. Even a breeze makes this plane a challenge at first so start off on a super-calm day and fly in an open area bigger than the street in front of your house. You should get used to it after a while, but don't expect to fly like on a hand-held video game, this is the real deal. It will fly slower than more expensive electric RC planes that have servo-controlled moving parts and that's a plus for beginners.
If you really can't get it airborne, try throwing it with the power off to make sure it just glides straight. If it doesn't and you don't feel comfortable flexing the wings slightly (they are just EPP-foam) to compensate for drift, etc., then take it back and try another one. It's worth the hassle!
One complaint I hear about is that the plane porpoises or goes up-and-down a lot instead of straight and level. This happens flying in wind, but may do it somewhat when it's calm. There is an easy modification not told by Air Hogs. Adjust the elevator (the back wing) to have just a bit less "up". Too much adjustment and you will nose dive. Just the right amount (if it's even needed) and you will get a great flying video camera.
I posted my version of this mod in detail on rcgroups.com, just search for Air Hogs Hawk Eye Blue Sky and jump to page four.
Get your wings and you tube your own flights!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Flyer, January 3, 2012
Shooter (Hayward, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Air Hogs R/C Hawk Eye Blue Sky (Toy)
This thing really does fly surprisingly well. The first day we took it out it was way too windy. It cannot take much of a breeze. Anything over a few miles an hour will have a pronounced effect. The next day we had far more success. On a calm day, it's quite easy to rev the throttle up about half way and give the plane the lightest toss to launch. You don't need to throw it hard like a paper airplane. It has its own source of power.

I didn't have any need to trim the plane, but there is a knob to adjust it once airborne. I have an Air Hogs Cyclone, an indoor plane, that I need to trim every time I fly it. Controls are straightforward and fairly responsive. The video camera works and is fun, but is a bit of a gimmick for me. The real joy is just flying the plane. It took me a matter of a few seconds to grasp the basic concept of the controls. While the plane is rated for 12+, I actually purchased this for my oldest soon as a Christmas gift. He is only six years old and he did a pretty good job flying the thing, better than I anticipated. I know some reviewers have noted that it doesn't glide, but I think there is probably some variance from plane to plane. As long as I eased off, and didn't chop, the throttle it seemed to glide fairly well and it was pretty much my standard method of landing the thing from about four or five feet above the ground. In general, the plane did respond best to gentle use of the controls.

The bad about this plane? Well, it is made of foam. So, yes, it can be damaged, but we flew it over a grassy field and minor crashes didn't cause any problem with the airframe. Scotch tape or foam safe glue would probably fix 90% of the damage you could do to the thing. It did come with an extra set of props, just in case. Being made of foam, it is light. It has to be in order to fly. So, it is subject to wind gusts. I could see how, if the weight was a little off balance, it could easily become nose or tail heavy, but it shouldn't be too much trouble to add a little weight to the nose or tail to offset any problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome toy for even an adult male!, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Air Hogs R/C Hawk Eye Blue Sky (Toy)
A gift for my husband and he is like a big kid and loves this plane.Durable and fly when winds are 4mph or less.The video is awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Air Hogs R/C Hawk Eye Blue Sky (Toy)
I bought this for my 11 year old son for Christmas. He was able to get a 1 minute flight his very first time. There was zero wind at the time. It's a lot of fun.

Launching the plane was easy. Give it full throttle and gently throw it. Maintaining a level flight is a little tricky at first. You need to back off to about 3/4 throttle to stay level.

The only things keeping it from 5 stars are:
1) Transmitter range of 100 ft. It's easy to fly it out of range.
2) Video resolution (320x240) is low.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that bad of a "toy" plane., January 4, 2012
This review is from: Air Hogs R/C Hawk Eye Blue Sky (Toy)
I tried this plane on my parent's front lawn but for as large as it is, there are too many landscape trees for successful flying. I did take it to a recreation field and tried it there. The winds were over 5 MPH and while it didn't feel that windy, it was windy enough to make control of this plane difficult. The plane either lost power or got out of range, but I did lose control of it and it became a very sturdy glider that got stuck up 30' into a tree. I was able to get it down after about thirty minutes of trying.

With all the crashes and false-starts I had, the plane did not even have a dent in it. I cannot understand in these reviews where these people were flying nor how they were flying the plane to have severe damage.

Understand it is a toy and it is made of foam. If you take that into consideration when flying, the plane will be very durable. I just need to try flying the plane on a very still day and learn how it maneuvers.

Air Hogs R/C Hawk Eye Blue Sky