Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

on November 19, 2012
Researching humidifiers on Amazon was a somewhat tiresome exercise. Almost all products I looked at are subject to very serious complaints, most importantly noise, leakage, and lack of reliability. I decided to go with the AOS 7147 because most reviewers agree that it is really quiet, and because I liked the clean look and the features.

Here is what I can report after about a week of usage (will update if anything changes over time):

Noise level: Both my wife and I are extremely noise sensitive, but this unit can operate in our bedroom without affecting our sleep. Yes, there is a bit of a humming noise, but it is barely audible. Also there is a bubbling noise once in a while when water flows out of the tank into the tray. All-in-all, it seems about as quiet as can reasonably be expected.

Effectiveness: We use the auto setting that lets the device decide the target level of humidity and the output level. This works very well and hassle free, keeping the room comfortably moist.

Warm mist setting: I would recommend having it. Without it the room feels cool and damp. Even with using it there is a bit of a cooling effect, but it is acceptable.

Filtering/water treatment: We did not see any white dust around the unit, which was a concern.

Reliability/ease of use: No problems so far, straight-forward to operate, everything works as intended. I will post updates, if something comes up.

Look: Matters more than you would think, because it is supposed to be three feet away from the ground and away from both heating and return vents. Inevitably it will end up in a rather visible place. This unit has a bit of a techy, but overall relatively neutral look, better than most.

In summary, I am very happy with this unit.

Update: After a winter, We are still happy with it. So we bought a 2nd one to be used in the office.

Some tips on reducing the humming noise. Put a tray underneath the unit, then a thick sponge pad or similar cushion underneath the tray. The cushion dramatically reduces the noise level. The tray is very important. We first put the sponge directly underneath the unit, and that totally screwed up its moisture reading. We could watch the moisture level reduce from 50 to 49 to 48... to 37 in a few minutes and the unit cranked out steam like crazy. It seems that the unit needs to be placed on a hard surface to read the moisture level properly. Once we put a tray underneath it, the reading works normal again.
88 comments|489 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2012
The 7147 is the quietest humidifier we have ever owned. It has easy to read digital controls, and the humidistat stays within one degree of one that also hangs on the wall in our bedroom. The filters do their job nicely and the warm mist setting keeps the room from feeling clammy.

The only issues I have with this humidifier is the way in which it is refilled. The oddly shaped top tank lifts off the pedestal control base and the refill opening is on the bottom of the tank. When you lift the tank off the pedestal daily to refill water drips everywhere as the tank sits in a pool of water. You then flip over the tank and remove the fill cap, which also happens to be connected to the filter! When you pull the filter out (which is filled with water) it drips everywhere! You then hold the oddly shaped tank upside down to refill. Since the top is now the bottom, and it is not flat you cannot set down the tank to refill. You also must contend with the nozzle where the mist sprays from, making a refill quite a challenge without getting everything around you wet!

Then you must re-insert the filter cartridge to seal the tank which displaces water. Since there is no fill line, it is easy to overfill the tank, and when the water is then displaced by the filter as you close the tank it squirts out! A simple opening on the top could have easily eliminated this problem!

The filler issue is the reason I rated the item a four out of five. It could and should be much better! Also, the controls do not remember previous settings once turned off, so you must reset your desired humidity level and fan speed each time you turn on the machine. It would be nice if previous settings were remembered!
1010 comments|355 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2012
We have been so pleased with the performance of the original Air-O-Swiss AOS 7145 Ultrasonic Humidifier - Cool Mist in our 300 sq.ft. bedroom that we decided to upgrade and put the 7145 in our son's room. The AOS 7147 is identical to the 7145 with some excellent additional features. I love the controls that provide; readings of the current humidity level, ability to set the desired target humidity level, and the ability to pre-heat the water to improve efficiency.

The one thing about which I have a minor complaint is the mist output level control. The 7145 has a dial control that allows for a continuous adjustment of the mist output. The 7147 touch controls provide only 3 absolute settings: low, high & high+. Frankly, I prefer the continuously variable mist output control of the 7145.

We are relegated to using well water which pretty much "eats up" wicks in evaporative type humidifiers, forcing frequent and costly replacements several times in a season. The mineral cartridge included with both the 7145 & the 7147 (but not needed where water is soft) does its job in treating hard water so the humidifier works as intended.

In the end I find this to be a product well worth the cost. Maintenance is easy, expensive replacement wicks are unnecessary, and the humidifier is reliable. I highly recommend this to anyone, but especially where hard water is an issue.

(Update 02/18/13)
Still using this daily without any problems. Still gives whisper quiet operation (the less expensive 7145 is a bit noisy, but not loud). Because of its very quiet operation, this 7147 would be an excellent choice for a baby's or child's room. I did not mention in my original review that the humidifier flashes an icon when it needs cleaning, a nice convenience. I use the Air-O-Swiss EZ CAL Cleaner and Descaler - A7417 for thorough cleanings, but I find a regular rinse & brushing under warm water minimizes the need for this.

(Update 01/05/14)
Both machines still whisper quiet & working perfectly. Still very happy with these purchases.
22 comments|267 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2014
Before I start laying out pros and cons:

READ THE MANUAL. Some of the reviews were saying "it wetted my carpet," while saying it's their first ultrasonic humidifier. On the quick start guide, it specifically says 3 feet from the floor. This is NOT a stand-alone room humidifier. You're supposed to have it on top of a table, nightstand, even on a chair that is at least 3 feet high. So from 'it wetted my floor' to 'humidity sensor not being accurate,' please read the manual first.

And second, do READ how much water a humidifier puts out in the air. This is not evaporative humidifier (which works like wet rag), it has certain limit on how much water it can put out in the air (more mechanical). This particular unit only puts out 3 gallons/24hrs, which is far away from sufficient to cover a large master bedroom. If you need to put a 3 gallon humidifier on constantly on, then you should be looking for at least 6 gallon unit, (I'd recommend 8-9, heavy-duty stuff) not 3.

Cons first:

1) Pricey - $150 is very unusual price for a humidifier size of this. Last time I spent $150 on a humidifier, it was a size of window AC unit, covering hallways. This does get the job done, so I wouldn't go so far to say how much it really should be.

2) Water tank - It's never easy to fill it. It's $150 worth humidifier, and I think a useful innovation could have made it a lot better.

3) LCD - Everyone else had to say it, so I'm gonna say it too. How come there's no switch to kill the LCD? I mean, if it is designed to be table-top. So wouldn't people be using in their bedroom? It's not so-bright-I-can't-sleep level brightness, but I think it will bother some people.

Pros:

1) Light weight - Compared to my last table-top humidifier (Crane, which is also sold in Amazon), it's lighter and easier to carry around. I'm actually using it in a guest bedroom, so usually end up moving it one place or the other.

2) Very Very silent - Silent or quiet doesn't do its justice. It's quiet enough for me to not notice it at all. Some of the reviews I've read were comparing it to evaporative model about "how quiet it is," and that's just a poor comparison. It's quieter than my alarm clock (how it ticks every second) and radiator.

3) Auto-adjust - It's not perfectly accurate, give it +/- 5%, but it conserves a lot of water. One of my heavy duty humidifier just puts out the water so fast, I actually have to fill the tank 2 or 3 times a day. And usually I end up with either too humid or too dry room. This model, on the other hand, is a lot easier to keep the humidity stable, somewhere around 50%. Again, if you're having trouble with stability in terms of humidity in your room, I'd suggest you to get a bigger model.
on January 14, 2013
I purchased an air o swiss product a year ago, it worked well for one season then junked out. Obviously these products are not cheap, I figured if anything was to happen the large price tag would ensure exceptional service should anything happen. Well let me be the first to tell you that I was way off the mark. I have been fighting to get my over priced unit replaced. It has a three year warentee that the company ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT WANT TO HONOR. SO MY ADVICE DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT, IF IT BREAKS YOU ARE SOL.
1515 comments|164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2013
I really wanted to love this cool and warm mist humidifier. It sounds like the reviews have been great, and it operates silently throughout the night. However, I had to return this item twice and decided not to purchase another. Both the first and second air-o-swiss humidifiers did not work correctly. I would set the humidifier to auto-40% humidity. Both would run all night long and would leave all windows in the bedroom covered in condensation - indicating over 60% humidity had been reached and yet the unit never shut off. I even tested with my old (warm-mist only) humidifier and it stated that the humidity levels were well over 60%. I used this in my 200 sq foot bedroom with the door shut at all times and it never worked. I heard that this could be an issue, so I gave it another chance and ordered a second one. Turns out that both had humidity-measuring issues. Although Amazon always honored my returns, I refuse to order another one with the probability of the hygrometer not working yet again.
on January 31, 2014
I did lots of research before selecting the 7147. I chose the 7147, due to reviews by many professional organizations. After about six weeks of operation over a one year period the unit failed. I called Air O Swiss and they said they would replace the unit as soon as the old one was returned to them (at my expense). I sent it back to them and after about three weeks they shipped me a 7144. It has not performed very well and I am not happy with it. I emailed and asked that the unit be replaced with a 7147. They said that they were out of stock and that the 7144 was a more expensive and that as far as they are concerned they have met their obligations under their warranty policy. I suppose that's true, that they met their obligations under the law, but as far as I'm concerned they have not met my expectations as far as customer service. I shall buy no further products from this manufacturer.

We (Air O Swiss and me) have exchanged numerous emails and phone calls but all they will do is refer me to their warranty policy. Very disappointed customer (ex-customer).
on December 13, 2014
I just bought this unit 12/11/2014, followed instructions for filter soaking before use. The following day the setup and us were a breeze..my home is very dry and sleeping has been a nightmare, if I could even get to the nightmare stage of sleep it was more like impossible to sleep, my eyes, nose and throat were irritated, trying to open my eyes every morning was a task as they seem to feel like they were glued shut...Well back to this unit, after using just one night so far, I had the best night sleep that I've had in what seems like forever, my eyes weren't dried out my throat and nose all felt moist, I slept like a baby..I am looking forward to my many nights of great sleep again and I beleive this product does what it states and I would recomend it to anyone going through dryness and poor air quality problems in there home..
review image
on December 20, 2013
I followed the Instructions explicitly! Used Distilled water. Placed a Towel Underneath the machine and then after noticing that the wood floor was wet, Placed a towel on the floor. After 3 Days and 10 gallons of water: The Humidity level stayed where it was originally (27 %) and my furniture was soaked, I decided to return this machine. Boiling a pot of water got better results- faster.
on December 16, 2013
It is a pain to refill. It cannot be on the floor. It is supposed to be three feet above the ground. It leaked water.

And after two weeks, it quit working! It often would not seat correctly and then I had to re-position it. I was careful to turn it off when refilling it.

I noticed that it would NOT turn off all the way when it ran out of water and would retain heat. So I was careful to turn it off when I left for work. I am not sure why it stopped working.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed and would not recommend purchasing it.

I read all the reviews before my purchase and don't know if I just got a bad product.