on July 22, 1999
Format: Paperback
Mr. Vero is an artist/philosopher. He'll start you off using gouache (opaque watercolor) and take you step by step to advanced techniques.
His chapter on "the shield" alone is worth the money. Others have now ripped his idea off to sell these shields, but save your money. Buy a piece of acetate and use the templates in this book. I rely heavily on his shield for my own work.
This man is an altruist, he is more concerned with teaching than with getting rich. Otherwise he could have marketed the shield himself instead of teaching you how to make it yourself.
This book is what did it for me and is a big reason why I stuck with it and worked hard to learn all I could.
As far as I'm concerned, this is the only airbrushing book you'll ever need. For the rest, study the art of the Old Masters, but with the insights that Radu Vero will give to you. Then you are on your way!
Format: Paperback
This is an excellent book for any airbrush artist from beginning to advanced. The author does a great job of covering the technical aspects of airbrushing in understandable terms.
The book starts out by detailing all the features of the airbrush, helping you choose which one to buy & then describing how to clean it. What kind of mediums to use with each type of paper is then explained in depth.
Next, actual use of the airbrush, including many practice exercises, are given. How to transfer drawings, construct curves for making masks, and use both color and other painting techniques is demonstrated.
There are not really any step-by-step projects per se, but there is a section on airbrushing the human face in both color and in b/w. A beautiful full-color gallery in the back is a nice bonus.
on February 16, 2000
Format: Paperback
The title says it all. Mr Vero has chosen to pull the whole concept of Airbrushing apart and let you see how it's done as he pieces it back together. I would not be still airbrushing, if I did not have this book. The illustrations, photographs and step by step tutorials are first rate. The Afterword chapter at the end of the book is very inspirational and reassuring and is testimony to Rado Vero's dedication to this books contents. It should be in EVERY school library!
on April 29, 1999
Format: Paperback
Airbrush: The Complete Studio Handbook is the backbone of my airbrush library, And my library is small. It is perfect for all. What do you want to know about airbrushing? I would suggest your search start here.
Brandyn
on September 7, 2001
Format: Paperback
Maybe I am wrong, but, unlike all the reviews here that give this book a 5 start rating... I woudl give it 4 or even 3 stars.
I bought this book just because of the reviews I read here, and now Im not going to trust them as much as I did before.
Some people say about step by step articles, hmm, yea, ONE or two, really boring ones. I expected to see something like Thom Taylors book " How to draw cars like a pro " which is excellent. But this book is very boring to read, Im a little bit dissapointed about it. Well, I will have to search for more books to find what i expected to find here.
If I knew this book was 1st published in 1983, I wouldnt have bought it. My mistake. Also, I dont want to sound mean, but most of the reviews here about this book are not exaclty correct.
Format: Hardcover
I hate to gush but this is, imho, the single best book on airbrushing that I've seen. It covers technique from beginner to advanced. The instructions are straight forward. I suppose they could seem boring if you're an advanced artist. Since I learn from even a rehash of what I already new, I wasn't bored.

Unlike other reviewers, I wasn't disappointed because it doesn't cover painting motorcycles or helmets. The title is fairly straightforward and a good clue to what the book covers. If you're only interested in painting motorcycles, try How to Custom Paint Graphics here on Amazon.

If on the other hand, you see an airbrush as another tool in expressing yourself through art, get this book. Vero is a master at solidifying visualization. He introduced the use of shields and the book contains a template for his design for one of the most versatile shields around.

When you aren't using it for reference, I recommend putting it on the coffee table. People who drop by my apartment are instantly drawn to the cover which features an illustration of Vero's "Study of a Girl". Instant conversation starter!

Rado Vero is recognized as one of the greatest illustrators who ever lived. Reading his thoughts on airbrush and different ways to create are as invaluable as reading Da Vinci's ideas on creating perspective. It didn't bother me that it was first printed in 1983. Nothing in this book has been outmoded. In fact, many of his ideas, such as use of shields, are now the standard in art schools. I expect it to be equally as valid in 2083.

I have bought multiple copies of this book and given them to friends who are just getting into airbrushing. I expect that I will buy quite a few more before it's over.
on September 25, 2005
Format: Hardcover
... this is the one.

Covers the mechanical stuff more briefly than many, and has a nice section on fixing problems, including straightening a bent needle. Gets briskly on to the =use= of the thing, and runs a series of exercises to help you get the hang of techniques, including learning how to draw freehand. This guy is not hung up on anal-compulsive frisket cutting, but recommends a "universal mask" you can make out of a styrene or metal sheet that will do for a lot of work.
on April 12, 2011
Format: Paperback
Many reviews say "If you can only buy one book..." and for airbrush this really is the one book. As another reviewer said, if you are an artist looking to use the airbrush to express yourself this is the one manual you would need. Radu is clearly a fine artist working in illustration and this book reflects his dedication. Don't purchase this book if you want a step by step of how to spray skulls on cars or jackets. You will not see references to "candy red flake metallic" paint. This book fills a void of technical information on fine art using the airbrush. If you enjoy Charles White III, Hajime Sorayama, Chuck Close, Olivia DeBerardinis and other fine artists who explore with the airbrush then you will learn what they know.

When I started airbrushing this was the first book I bought - literally. I bought two others also. I don't know where those are but I have carried my Radu Vero book with me for almost 30 years and 20 different homes. At the time I started, Airbrush magazines were aimed at exposing illustrators, fine artists and professionals working with airbrush so their discipline was using the airbrush as a tool like a paint brush, to achieve what they wanted to express. Radu's book fits nicely into that milieu. Those artists I read about, I wanted to paint like. This book showed me how to get close to that result.

It is a technical book, cover not withstanding. It reads like one also (If you really want to know how this man thinks, read his fantastic and thorough book on perspective). It isn't chatty, it's direct and instructive. You will learn, as others have said, how to construct templates. You will also learn how to build an opaque projector. More importantly, you will go through the baby steps of constructing visual objects with the airbrush. At the end of the book you will know how to paint the human face, with little to no frisket work and mostly freehand painting. This book is a course in painting not just a workshop.

In the end this is a book to help artists. If this review resonates with who you are and what you aspire to, buy it. I hope you will hold onto it for 30 years as I have.
on May 18, 2013
Format: Paperback
This one contains some beginning exercises to get used to airbrushing, and for basic airbrush technique. Contains good information on airbrush care. It is a little more focussed on artistic airbrush than decorative (auto or other non flat surface).
on January 17, 2013
Format: Paperback
I've been airbrushing for decades. I bought this book when it was first published and I still keep it handy. For all levels, it is a great reference, complete with step by step how-tos.