4.0 out of 5 stars .
I as other reviewers here previously owned Airline Tycoon Evolution. I long awaited this game and had it preordered.
Overall experience is that this is a good game, but surprisingly lacks some of the good features of the old version.
If some of the cons like loading times and choppy UI will be corrected in future patches this will be an even better game...
Published on October 31, 2011 by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars A lackluster sequel
I previously owned Airline Tycoon Evolution and this game compared to that is rather disappointing given it's been 8 years since the last game in the series came out.
I'm reviewing this from the perspective of a longtime fan of the Airline Tycoon series.
Published on October 27, 2011 by Panji

3.0 out of 5 stars A lackluster sequel, October 27, 2011
Panji (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airline Tycoon 2 - PC (Video Game)
As of this review, the game is at version 1.02. They're releasing a patch soon to address some issues and add some new features.

These are my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8 GHz
Radeon HD 6850
4GB RAM

This is a simple breakdown of the pros and cons.
Take note I'm comparing this to Airline Tycoon Evolution. Deluxe was also pretty much the same thing.

Pros:
-Updated 3D graphics
-In-depth customization of planes

Cons:
-Lack of a stock market
-Lack of a fuel market
-Loading times
-No real aircraft names - this is only because I'm an aviation fan.
-No cargo routes
-UI is horribly inefficient in some parts of the game
-Personally, I feel as if the game progresses much more slowly

The biggest issues with the game are the loading times. The loading times that occur when your workday is over also get longer as you get deeper into the game your playing, this is possibly because of inefficient programming, probably trying to calculate the actions of 3 other airlines. In Airline Tycoon Evolution, loading times were a breeze.
I just don't understand what went wrong when the programmers were putting in the code to calculate the AI of your competition. In Evolution it was smooth and fast, but here it obviously struggles to process all of the AI's action. Given my specs above, it's a very decent system and even then it shouldn't struggle to load given the simplicity of this game.
Load times are about 6 seconds. Which isn't much in itself. But advancing every day, it starts to get really noticeable. I'm in a stage of growth where I have to basically wait it out until I get money so I just keep advancing days.

There're probably no real aircraft names because when you buy a new airplane, it's made to order and you can customize pretty much every aspect of the plane. The exterior of the plane still keeps its general shape, but things like the wing, engines, nose cone, landing gear, etc can be changed to cheaper or more expensive parts. Evolution had this feature, but it wasn't a major feature of the game.

UI is horrible because sometimes things are a mess when the game lists all the pilots and attendants I have. There's no easily distinguishable way to see what planes my staff are assigned to from a quick glance.
For some things like catering, there isn't an overview to see what plane is receiving high quality catering and which ones aren't. I have to manual take note myself.
Things like this make it hard to keep track of what's going on when your fleet starts to grow.

In conclusion, this game could be alright in its own to a newbie of the Airline Tycoon series. But because I played the previous versions of Airline Tycoon, it seems they ripped out a lot of features that made the game great and just made everything in 3D.

4.0 out of 5 stars ., October 31, 2011
This review is from: Airline Tycoon 2 - PC (Video Game)

Pros:
-Updated airports
-Much better voice-overs in English version of the game!
-Nice 3D graphics
-Not too big install on the HD
-Highly customizable planes
-Sandbox mode (the old game also had this, but still a big advantage)

Cons:
-Less features - Many good features taken away from the old versions like stock and fuel markets.
-Loading times - They aren't the worst, but still not fast for such an easy game.
-No cargo routes - Cargo routes were a big plus when establishing your airline, no need to upgrade the seats when you're flying cargo :)
-Graphics - Graphics are choppy and often lags for no apparent reason.

My computers specs:
Intel i7 950
GeForce GTX 580
12GB RAM

1.0 out of 5 stars Big let down, December 20, 2013
This review is from: Airline Tycoon 2 - PC (Video Game)
Way too cheesey! I didn't know they still made games like this anymore. I would say that this was a child's game, but I don't think that a child would play it. Another game for the trash!

3.0 out of 5 stars Airline Tycoon 2 Review by Dad's Gaming Addiction, October 30, 2013
This review is from: Airline Tycoon 2 - PC (Video Game)
Overall, the game is "okay", and I say that not to discredit it in any way. I would have liked to have seen more customization options and a plane designer. I also would have liked a detailed almanac (like in Tropico) that tells me exactly what I need to know in terms of numbers and statistics. This game has the potential to be more than the sum of its parts, but as it stands, it's a simplified airport tycoon simulator. That isn't to say that it isn't fun...but I know that Kalypso is capable of doing better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just like I remember, October 24, 2013
This review is from: Airline Tycoon 2 - PC (Video Game)
I used to own this game when I was a kid. It is one of the more fun tycoon games I can remember. If you like building planes and managing flight schedules this is the game for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's sloooooow, February 22, 2013
This review is from: Airline Tycoon 2 - PC (Video Game)
It's so slow, even with low quality settings. Had the first bug after 30 seconds. Also froze after 5 minutes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible...Just Plain Horrible, December 17, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Airline Tycoon 2 - PC (Video Game)
Where to begin? First, this game lags on my notebook with all the settings maxed. Given the fact that I have an i5 processor, 6 GB RAM and a 1 GB Nvidia 540M graphics card (and can play Skyrim without lag on high settings), this makes no sense. Second, the UI is not helpful and the way that you have to move the character around is quite annoying. Third, and most importantly, Airline Tycoon 2 is not much different from Airline Tycoon 1 in terms of gameplay and does not have some elements that made Airline Tycoon 1 fun. You would think that 10 years would be enough time for the developers to make a decent successor to the first game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, February 6, 2013
This review is from: Airline Tycoon 2 - PC (Video Game)
You can not play this game by your self. You must have internet access. Every time you try to play, you have to log into your account on the internet; otherwise it will not work or play.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, August 8, 2014
it is a fun game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Such A disapointment, October 25, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Airline Tycoon 2 - PC (Video Game)
Such a disapoitment. Waiting for 10 years to get such a bad and sloppy developed game. Graphics, UI, became so boring that this game connot even compare with the game done 10 years ago. Ridicilous.

Airline Tycoon 2 - PC
Airline Tycoon 2 - PC by Kalypso Media (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$19.99 $6.74