5.0 out of 5 stars Good Raspberry Pi WiFi
This is a good USB wifi adapter that is small and apparently well supported across OS X, Windows, and Linux. I purchased this adapter for use with the Raspberry Pi board (Model B, 512MB), and therefore needed Linux support.

Published 22 months ago by BrentB

3.0 out of 5 stars Great form factor and price, but only so so signal strength and weird Windows 8 integration
Ok, this is one of those situations where I'm probably being too hard on the product for what I paid for it - something that is less than $15 and smaller than the tip of my thumb is pretty amazing, but just be aware that if you're not going to be int eh same room as your router you may have trouble. I've got it plugged in the back of a desktop across a small room from my...
Published 20 months ago by Michael Beck

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Raspberry Pi WiFi, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Airlink Fully compatible Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini-USB Adapter (AWLL5099) (Personal Computers)

Linux recognized this adapter immediately, and loads the driver. There is some other configuration needed to get it fully running, of course, but once done the adapter works well. I have not measured the range of it.

For fellow hackers, the adapter I received uses the Realtek 8188CUS chipset, and is identified via lsusb by this:
ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter

PROTIP: As of Oct 2012, there is a known issue with Raspberry Pi 512MB boards and USB devices that causes the system to spontaneously reboot. When plugging this adapter in, the RPi will reboot, but will work fine after that. The issue is caused by a change in the circuit surrounding the USB hub chip, and a high-current USB device causes too great a surge in the circuit, causing the reset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly with Mac, August 12, 2012
*** Caution - not all UBS wireless adapters will work with Macs **** THIS ONE IS FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH MACS

About 2 years ago the wireless card on our Mac stopped working. The computer was several years old (and was getting pretty slow), so we decided to buy a new Mac Book Pro. However, we decided it would be nice to still be able to surf the net on the older Mac. Our first option was a longer USB wireless card, which worked great but eventually broke off due to be too long.

Our second attempt is the Airlink Wireless N Ultra-Mini USB Adapte - which works great.

Notes -

- Works with 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6 version of operating systems

- Very small - it will be very difficult to break off

- Network speeds are acceptable - it is not as fast as some other Wireless N cards that I have used, but it does not miss by much.

- Set-up took about 10 minutes. MAC instructions are located on the cd (along with the drivers)

- Probably will not work with media devices (i.e. TVs, blu rays, and other devices that use a wireless connection).... you can try, but no guarantees

- GREAT VALUE...

Final verdict - This is a very easy recommendation for anyone who needs a wireless usb network card. It is small, inexpensive, and it works - that makes it the perfect wireless usb solution!

5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Raspberry Pi, September 7, 2012
I purchased this product for my RaspberryPi and it worked out of the box for the xbian (xbmc over debian) distribution. The adapter works great and streams HD videos seamlessly over wifi.

Since it worked for the esoteric RasPi, I assume it will work with nearly all Linux and Mac/PC boxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a Charm on XP and Win 7 64 bit, December 4, 2012
I have an older (2005) Compaq Presario SR1610NX running XP that I wanted to connect to our home wireless system without much trouble or cost and this worked perfectly. It installed in 5 minutes without a single glitch, and I was immediately able to connect up to my network with a 99% signal strength. Web browsing is amazingly fast using it - no problems at all. Installation instructions were clear, easy to follow, and accurate. And all for $10. What a deal - wish every product lived up to my expectations like this one :-)

Update 7 Dec: Thought I'd try this on a (2009) HP Pavilion p6228p-b AMD quad core running Win 7 64 bit and once again the installation and operation were simple and flawless. I recommend this highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A No-Brainer (In That Good Way), September 17, 2012
Hilldy Shaw (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I tend to take such good care of my things my technology outlives its usefulness. The exception is my iBook G4 (Power PC). It's in perfect condition except the airport card died last year. It's easy to work around wifi in my apartment, but on the road I'm up the creek. The geniuses at Apple told me not to bother replacing it and to put the $350 toward a new laptop. Twelve bucks later Airlink had me up and running. And the thing is so tiny you hardly notice its there. A great thing in a small and affordable package. It doesn't happen every day, especially if you have a Mac, so take advantage!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small footprint, works great, April 4, 2013
When your laptop's internal WiFi card kicks the bucket, this is the perfect fit. Forget about those other adapters which are too long and easily knocked around. This is small enough to leave in all the time and the reception works just great. I would recommend to anyone and buy again. Installation on XP or Win7 is basically plug and play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice budget wireless adapter., May 16, 2012
Works as advertised, I tried it on the PC and MAC and the range is exceptional for such a small device.

5.0 out of 5 stars FLAWLESS! EXCELLENT PRODUCT!, December 1, 2013
R. J. Mitchell (CA, The Good ol' US of A) - See all my reviews
Works very well! I use it with Microsoft Windows versions 7 and 8 with out installing drivers! I highly recommend this product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Need wireless? This little guy work great!, November 4, 2013
These work great for getting older systems that do not have built in Wireless into the wireless world. Works on laptops, and desktops alike. Worth the money for a quick WiFi transformation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Streaming. Great Price., September 26, 2013
Pleasantly surprised by the streaming speed. I have a much more expensive D-Link Wireless USB adapter hooked up to my desktop. When I ran side by side comparisons, the Airlink was consistently twice as fast as the D-Link. Was getting 10 mbps on the upload and 12mbps on the download. That is with the Airlink showing 48% signal strength. From the opposite end and downstairs of a two story house, the Airlink continued to hit the same upload and download speeds. At 75% less than the D-Link I would highly recommend. And the Airlink is running on Windows 8. I had no problem getting it to work straight away. Just follow the instructions and use the CD that it comes with. Took less than 3 minutes to get it working. If for reason this dies in less than one year I will update this post. If the post is not updated then assume everything I just wrote is still valid. Finally, Amazon Prime Shipping rocks - had it delivered in less than 48 hours!

Rate and Discover Movies