Airocide Air Purifier
Price:$750.00 + Free shipping

on December 17, 2013
I just got a few of these. Yes, it makes a some noise, yes it's cool looking but I think most people are missing the point. It's obvious that many people don't truly understand the nature of this product.

I think expectations have to be better managed. I agree the claims and marketing are a bit misleading. The marketing materials seem to be very dumbed down. That said, if you're looking to buy one, you need to understand what it is and what it ISN'T. Firstly, it's NOT A FILTER. It says so right on the website. Filters are basically dust catchers. So you can't fairly compare it to a HEPA filter. For lack of a better term, this thing is an air sanitizer. Just like using bleach to kill germs in your bathroom or using Purell hand sanitizer on your skin. It kills airborne germs and pathogens. Things in the air that can make you sick.
This company makes the industrial version of this for food processing plants and hospitals where sanitary air is important.

From their industrial products website:

Photocatalytic Oxidation (PCO)
The technology used in AiroCide Air Purifiers combines two known pathogen-killing techniques, Photacatalytic oxidation (PCO) and ultraviolet light to destroy harmful airborne microbes. The oxidant used in PCO is the oxygen that makes up 20% of our air. Because the concentration of oxygen in air is so much larger than the (total) concentration of gaseous indoor air pollutants, it is not necessary to employ additional oxidants such as ozone (O3) or hydrogen peroxide (H202). The system produce no oxone and are not filtering systems.

Titanium dioxide (TiO2) is the photocatalyst used. A unique process is used to create the patented TiO2 formula that coats the catalyst material. When this material is irradiated with the ultraviolet photons from the lamps inside, hydroxyl radicals and super-oxide ions are formed. These elements will oxidize (reduce to trace elements of carbon dioxide and water) volatile organic compounds (VOC's) absorbed on the catalyst surface. They will also kill and decompose airborne pathogens. Because the organic material is completely oxidized by this process, the photocatalytic reactor is self-cleaning relative to organic material on the catalyst surface.

They have essentially created a home version of an industrial air sanitizer that has proven it's worth in commercial settings. But I can see how it's difficult to connect this idea to consumers. I think that's why the marketing is vague and this product is misunderstood. It's difficult to briefly describe what this product does.

So in a nutshell, it's not an air cleaner. It doesn't filter or catch anything. It's a sanitizer. If you want a reduction in dust and airborne particles, get a filter. If you want to sanitize the air, get this. If you're a clean freak, get both.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 4, 2013
The look and feel of the marketing for this product appears questionable and in depth science provided by the manufacturer is sparse, given it seems to work as advertised.

Compared to similar high end air purifiers the Airocide is very quiet and the design is impressive. It emits a faint chemical odor, I assume is related to the reaction between UV light and titanium dioxide. The odor does not linger and seems to dissipate with increased use, but I'm surprised the owners manual does not mention the presence of a chemical odor.

Questionable marketing tactics arise from 10 out of 13 suspicious five star Amazon reviews that are not verified purchases. As of 7/3/13, ten reviews are from unverified purchases from accounts created within one month of each other. It is not common for 76% of a products five star reviews to be from customers that create an account solely to review one product that wasn't purchased on Amazon.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2013
I purchased Airocide hoping it would be able to replace my IQ Air air purifier in my bedroom. If it worked, I could save a significant amount of money on replacement filters (over $500 per year) so the price was high but economically justifiable. After 4 weeks of use I measured the air quality with my Dylos air quality monitor for a few days. I noticed a slight difference in a completely enclosed room after 8 hours (17/0)(*The first count is for particles 0.5 to 2.5 microns in size per 0.01 cubic foot, the second is for particles larger than 2.5 microns per 0.01 cubic foot.), but once the door was opened the unit lost efficacy and could never catch up. To be fair, I started up the IQ Air again and the room was back to clean (5/0) in 15 minutes and consistently maintained with the door open. When I researched the product I also noticed the unusual reviews at Amazon (only within a few days of each other) and most of the online web reviews were from "mother" blogs. In my opinion, based on the measurements from the air quality meter, this product is expensive and makes a very small difference in overall room air quality. The readings I measured using Airocide were similar to not having an air cleaner in the room and no activity to stir up particles for 8 hours. Although it looks sexy, I returned the product for a refund. I hoped that it would work...but it did not.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2013
I write this review to point out that this company's claim of "FDA Approval" is somewhat dubious. The form letter issued by the FDA ([...] merely says that this air purifier is "substantially equivilant" to technologies predating the 1976 Medical Device Regulation Act, and is thus exempt from premarket approval for medical devices. More stringent premarket approval standards are required for non-exempt devices ([...]

To me, this is misleading advertising.

The AHAM certifies the clean air delivery rate (CADR) of air purifiers ([...] The fact that this data is not available for the airocide is not a vote of confidence for the device. Does the device eliminate dust, pollen, smoke, etc. from the air? In what size of room is it effective? It is a mystery without a verified benchmark. I don't doubt that this device has a minimizing effect on VOCs, as claimed. But the testimonials on airocide's website aren't enough to show the efficacy of the device in removing particles from the air. The plural of anecdote is not data.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received this fine looking product through the Amazon Vine Program. Truthfully, I wouldn't have bought it at this high a price. I have HEPA air purifiers throughout our home and they all work well to reduce dust and smells. I can tell these are working just by checking the filters. But how do you know if the Airocide is actually doing any good? We don't have carpet and no one smokes in our home, so the air purifiers don't have to take care of that stuff. Here's what my wife likes about it: We have this in our bedroom. It produces almost no noise and the noise it does generate is not annoying; in fact it's enjoyable white noise. The light is a nice touch and makes a great night light. But to pay $800 for a pretty box with a light is beyond my understanding. Maybe the Kardashians can afford these but not this old retired Navy man.

Update: After running non stop for about 3 months this unit stopped working.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 6, 2014
Unit failed to operate from the start; called customer service, and with no troubleshooting whatsoever, said to send it back. They said they would email info on how to send it back but after 5 hours, I still don't have it. They offered to send me another one AFTER they received the first one, which would take at least 2 weeks, on top of the week it took to get the first one.

I don't know if these work or not but they look kind of cheap, and the grill on mine would not attach very well. For the amount of money they want for these, you'd think quality would be better and shipping would be faster.

UPDATE - it turns out that the reason the unit did not work was that one of the pieces in the front was not fully inserted by whoever put it together or loosened in shipping, which prevented the grill from attaching, which in turn prevented the unit from functioning. I realized this when I was packing up the unit to return. I am now going to keep it and see if it helps my allergies. The CEO of the company called to followup my call to support & discuss the problem and any other issues I had.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 21, 2013
I just received my unit and was surprised to read in the instructions that I would need to spend an additional $100 every year to replace the reaction chambers. The Amazon description should mention this, but doesn't. 3 stars to begin with but I will come back and adjust the review after using it for a while.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Update#1 (after 4 nights)
The unit looks good and produces a good flow of clean air.
The company quickly responded to my review, so I am confident that they would respond to me if I was actually experiencing a problem.
There is no explanation of the Auto setting. I'd like to understand what it does and how it works.

This unit is not quiet. The High setting is too loud to sleep. I downloaded a Sound Meter app for my smartphone and (after calibrating the app) I measured the decibel level of the Aerocide. On the High setting I measured an average reading of 34 decibels. On Low setting it was 30 db. For a comparison I also measured my bathroom ceiling fan at 37 db and my microwave oven at 43 db (when cooking). I have been leaving the unit on High during the day but switching it to Low when I go to bed. The bedroom does smell very fresh and clean (was stuffy before). I hope to feel a difference with my sinuses in a few weeks and I will update my review then.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 30, 2013
I do suffer from allergies, but primarily purchased this product to help clean the pet smells from my house. I have an elderly dog that has frequent accidents. Even with almost daily cleaning of my carpets, I still had a lingering smell of dog urine. After being plugged in for one week, the airocide removed the odor. What a pleasure to come in my home and not immediately be hit with doggy smell. Although I'm not saying it never smells like animal. If there is an 'accident', it only takes a day for the smell to go away. The only downsides are it doesn't clean the whole house, and the cost.
on January 25, 2015
I have had my unit almost a year....in five days it will be a year old. Still no notification of replacement of the flashing light to replace my reaction chamber. I bought one just recently to have on hand when it comes due. I have this baby in my kitchen - L-shape living room area and it does the job. It really does keep the air crisp and clean. I kept it in a smaller room like my bedroom at first and it did even better but downstairs needed it desperately where I keep my Malamute. I really do think the trick to making the reaction chamber lasting longer is regular dusting. Keep it free from dust and you will get your money's worth of the factory included reaction chamber....I know....I'm still waiting for that flashing light!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using air cleaners with HEPA filters for almost 20 years now. I started off getting them for my allergies and found they really made a difference. Now I not only like them because of that but I got used to the white noise sound made by the various air cleaners that I've owned and can't sleep without it!

For the last 5 years I've loved my Alen® A350 - Allergen Reducing HEPA Style Air Purifier - 750 Sq. Ft. It's a little large but it's good. The negatives are that you have to change the filters every 4-5 months (if you put it on medium or high) and they cost around $60+ each. The unit also looks very dusty and a little dirty even prior to your needing a new filter.

I was really happy to give this new air purifier a try and am really happy to report that I like it. A lot.

First of all there's practically nothing to put together and the instruction manual is just a few pages with everything you need to know about starting it up on one page. You basically put the grill on it and plug it in and power it up.

The pluses:

This thing is pretty and sleek. I didn't think I cared that much what my air purifier looked like but this changed my mind.

It doesn't require any wiping down at all. I wish I could explain exactly how this thing works but I can say that there is no cleaning required and its surface is shiny and consistently clean. That amazes me.

The noise it makes on high is really pleasant and for those of you who enjoy the sound of white noise at night, I think you'll be really happy.

From what I understand, it only requires a reaction chamber replacement once a year (approx $100) which can be pricey, but it's cheaper than the $60+ 2x a year I am paying for replacement HEPA filters right now.

And the biggest plus - I could tell right away (smell) the difference in the air. The best way I can compare that is to the smell you get when you first put in a new filter on a HEPA air purifier and turn it on high - it's that kind of clean smell.

As far as negatives, this unit is pricey.

It also has a slight chemical smell when you first put it on but that went away the next day for us.

Lastly - I don't know if I can back up the claims that this will change people's lives and resolve people's illnesses. That's a strong claim and I am not an expert in how this unit works in terms of the science and I am not sure if you can ever really know - because there are so many factors to consider when one's health improves or takes a dive. What I can say is that our bedroom has that clean, wonderful scent that we get from using a fresh HEPA filter and I am really enjoying the way this thing looks, sounds, and the fact it stays clean.

Recommended so far. I will definitely edit this review if I have any concerns or problems.

Editing to add - I have now been using this air purifier for a while and am very happy with it. The room still has that clean, just-put-in-a-new-filter smell which is great, plus the unit itself is still shiny clean. Highly recommended but will edit this review if there are any problems.