Published on September 22, 2010 by D. Fowler

3.0 out of 5 stars too big for plane ride, but still cute
i got this for our plane ride and it ended up being too heavy and big. i should've checked the measurements first.
Published on July 5, 2011 by reemoche

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a marvelous little lift-the-flap book that any plane lover will go wild over... WHIRRRRR!!!, September 22, 2010
This review is from: Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure (Board book)
The little plane is cleared and ready for takeoff. The pilot and the copilot are up in the cockpit checking out their instruments while the children peer out the airplane windows. A little wide-eyed girl clutches her smiling teddy and looks at the wing flaps as they open and close. "The rudder's moving free and clear / so that Captain Bright can steer. / `Looks like we are good to go,' / the captain tells Copilot Snow." As the propellers begin to whir, the lady from the ground crew steps up to guide the plane into position. WHIRRRRR!

"Cleared for takeoff" and off it speeds down the runway and up, up, up into the sky. Captain Bright and Copilot Snow are hard at work in the cockpit. She spots a puffy storm cloud ahead and points it out to him. "Uh-oh! Storm clouds up ahead! / The radar screen is flashing red! / Lightning, wind, and driving rain / make it hard to fly the plane!" The lightning begins to flash as the storm starts to roll across the sky. Can they make it to their destination or will they have to turn the plane around?

This is a marvelous little lift-the-flap book that any plane lover will go wild over. Mind you, this is not your average board book. Most board books are meant for tiny hands, but this little aeronautic adventure book, which measures a full 8" x 10" when fully opened, can be spread across a lap for a shared reading experience. The book itself is quite sturdy and what you will find behind the flaps will amaze you. For example, when the plane is shown racing down the runway, you can flip the flap and you can see it rising in the sky. The rhyming sequence is perfect and the slightly retro artwork is simply adorable. This is a going on a trip, getting ready to go to bed, a story time, or any time book that you're going to love!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!!, December 5, 2009
This review is from: Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure (Board book)
What a wonderful read-aloud! The delightful, rhyming story and fun lift-the-flaps will not only entertain your little one, but teach a thing or two about an airplane flight. Highly recommended for toddlers!

3.0 out of 5 stars too big for plane ride, but still cute, July 5, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cute little book., April 11, 2011
This review is from: Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure (Board book)
I got this book for my 18-month old son a few weeks before we were going to go on our first big trip together. He really liked it a lot from the beginning, even though he didn't know what a plane was. The little flaps are sturdy, easy to use, and super cute. The art is also fun, and simple enough for a young child to understand. I also like that it has a racially diverse cast of characters and shows womyn doing meaningful skilled labor equally with the men.

During our trip we talked a lot about planes and pilots and suitcases and being up in the sky... and it seemed like the words were familiar to him because of having read the book so often before we left. Now that we're home he REALLY enjoys the book even more that he has seen airplanes first-hand and knows what we're talking about. He picks this book out himself (out of a whole shelf full of his books) at least 2 or 3 times a week lately. He points at the pictures of the planes and I ask, "Remember when we rode in an airplane, up in the sky?" He will smile, nod, and say "Yeah." in his little way that he does. It's really sweet.

I read an earlier review about this book being boring for older kids, and I could see how that might be the case. It is pretty simple and is probably best for littler kids who are just learning words. However, the story itself is smartly written, lyrical and rhyming. I think I would've liked it as a kid even though it is easy and predictable. It's still a fun little book!

Lots of potential here for talking about how it all works... not just the plane itself, but the flight system: pilots, ground crew, airports, luggage, radar and weather, etc. Boring is as boring does. I think you could do a lot with this book.

Definitely worth the $7!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be Much Better, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure (Board book)
I got this book for my 19 month old daughter to prepare her for her first flight. She is very fascinated with planes.
I was hoping this book would also show pictures of what passengers do during a flight, for example: eating lunch, watching TV, talking to each other, stewardesses helping to place luggage..etc. Unfortunately this book only shows the plane from outside, and two pictures are of the pilot's cabin. There are no pictures of inside the plane. Very disappointing. The flaps also don't reveal anything interesting: lights off then on, birds sitting then flying off, cloud which opens up to a storm cloud with lightning arrows (scary to a toddler), plane departing, and plane landing.
The illustrations and colors used throughout the book are cute, however. The book also has good quality glossy sturdy pages, and the flaps are of interesting shapes and sizes.
Still, they could have done so much better with this theme. If I saw this book in a physical bookstore, I wouldn't buy it because it doesn't show a good variety of actions and is boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it!, June 17, 2012
This review is from: Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure (Board book)
I bought this for my 12-month-old son for our first airplane trip. I had read the reviews that expressed disappointment that this book was 'too big to travel with,' but I decided to buy it anyway because my son loves books with flaps. I figured that if it was indeed too big to travel with, I'd at least read it to him a few times before we left. Boy, am I glad I bought it! Granted, it is larger than your typical square/chunky board book, but it is very thin and slender, so I packed it anyway! It slid nicely into the back side of my diaper bag. My son enjoyed reading the book on the floor of the terminal while looking out the floor-to-ceiling windows at all the action outside on the tarmac, and it gave me a chance to make connections between what was going on in the book and what he was seeing outside. He LOVES all the flaps, and they seem to be nice and strong and are holding up quite well to my boy's constant tugging at them. :) The text is neither too short or too long, has a nice rhythmic and rhyming flow to it, and my son happily sits through all the text on each page without getting impatient. He loves this book and I consider it a keeper!

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird illustrations, October 27, 2010
This review is from: Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure (Board book)
I bought this book to help prepare a toddler for riding in an airplane. However, I was not all that impressed with this book, and my toddler isn't interested. I think that the stylized airplane and people are hard for her to relate to. The rhymes are kind of forced, and there isn't much of a story. I'll give it three stars though because the lift-the-flap part is very well executed.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 year old grandson LOVED it!!, November 10, 2011
This review is from: Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure (Board book)
This is a perfect book for the toddler who is taking his first flight or who LOVES airplanes. It is a great accompaniment to the FP Little people airplane for a gift

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute but large and a little abstract, September 11, 2012
This review is from: Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure (Board book)
I bought this for my 16 month old son to help get him ready for an upcoming transatlantic flight. The art is well-drawn and the story done in a rhyming style that is easy to read. The book is rather large for a board book and so we most likely will not bring it along as I'd planned. I was also hoping for more content about riding inside the plane (putting bags in the overhead compartment, fastening seat belts, lifting the tray table, etc...would make good flaps!), but the whole story is about take off, the pilots, a storm (which seemed confusing and then a little frightening for my son), and then landing. It still helped introduce the idea of an airplane flying in the sky, but unfortunately I was hoping for/expecting something a little different.

1.0 out of 5 stars returned, February 14, 2013
This review is from: Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure (Board book)
This book was supposed to make my toddler get used to the idea about flying. But when the pilot starts talking about there is a storm coming and ... what is going to happen... it puts ideas into the toddlers head that flying is scary. I returned it.

Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure
Airplane Flight!: A Lift-the-Flap Adventure by Susanna Leonard Hill (Board book - September 8, 2009)
$7.99 $7.19