5.0 out of 5 stars Seems all washi to me.
Published on July 21, 2011 by Sasha

3.0 out of 5 stars Washi & plain paper
Only the first 40 ~50 sheets are Washi (thicker texture) and the rest is regular plain paper with fancy patterns.
Published on May 24, 2011 by J. Tom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems all washi to me., July 21, 2011
This review is from: Aitoh FLCKFC Origami Paper, 5.875-Feet x5.875-Inch, 200-Pack (Misc.)
From my understanding, washi is closer to a classification for a type of paper based on its components, method of creation, and perhaps region. Because of this, there can be several types of washi with different textures and weights, similar to how two beers can still both be called beers despite tasting different. The texture of all the papers seems to match up with the other origami washi papers I've used, and folds like it too, so I'm going to go ahead and hazard a guess and say that Aitoh just had two slightly different types of Washi in there.

The papers come packaged in a plastic resealable sleeve with a paper insert and a sheet of cardboard in the middle to help keep everything stiff. With these types of packages it's better if you have a folder or a box on hand if you plan on carrying the paper with you. When the paper supply starts dwindling, the packaging will no longer hold the papers as tightly, and they will start sliding around and it will be extremely easy to wrinkle them. One half of the package or so is comprised of white-based washi, with 5 different designs. The other half is comprised of brown-based washi, with 4 designs, but 3 colors for each design. I have added pictures to allow people to more clearly see the designs. All of the papers are very thin and seem to be perfect squares. They crease sharply and hold very well. The white set of papers is slightly translucent and the patterned side is smooth and matte, making it feel almost a bit waxy (in a good way). The brown set of papers is still very thin but not as translucent. When you hold it up to the light, you can see the plant fibers and the texture feels a lot more like conventional paper..

I think the designs on both sides are absolutely gorgeous, and I certainly have my favorites. The white side tends to have a variety of colors that smoothly gradate into each other. The brown side only tends to have one or 2 colors printed, but when I hold up the sheets under my desk lamp, the ink seems almost metallic.

You can also call me weird for this, but I like the small of old books, it's very nostalgic for me. So, while I was at it, i decided to have a quick sniff. I prefer the brown side as it's more reminiscent to me of "old book".

Overall, this is a nice buy and I certainly think it's one of the better deals on washi paper I've come across. I tend to end up getting the Aitoh brand of origami paper since it seem to be the most popular in my region, and thus has the most selection--and I'm okay with that. Aitoh seems like a decent brand at the least. The amazon price is much better than the other prices I can find, though (about $5 for a pack of 30 sheets of washi at my local stores. Euuuuuuugh).

3.0 out of 5 stars Washi & plain paper, May 24, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, February 19, 2011
I love the many colors and patterns of these origami papers. I am a beginner origamist and this was the perfect thing to help me make some fun origamis.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: the patterns shipped may not be the same as the pictures, April 20, 2012
This particular item is supplied by a number of different merchants. The one that supplied the order that Amazon shipped to me is "Daniel's House", and the patterns shipped were not the same as the ones in the first two pictures.

After I got the items I checked the listing again, and saw that the customer provided images (by Sasha) are the ones I ended up getting (and, again, they're not the same patterns as the two photos provided by Amazon.) I usually don't pay attention to those customer posted images, trusting only the images posted by Amazon or the merchants themselves. Clearly I was wrong here.

By the way, the patterns shipped to me are nasty. That's my personal opinion, I know, but I wouldn't have ordered it if I'd seen the correct pictures.

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite what I expected, March 29, 2012
First of all, I ordered two packages, one for a gift, the other for myself. The packages were completely different from each other, which I had not expected. Secondly, one package contained fewer designs than the other, with more pages of each design instead of greater variety of designs. Ultimately, I ended up dividing both packages in half.

Lastly, I wasn't in love with any of the designs. I had hoped for cuter paper. Some were decently cute, but others were really not that pretty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kind of a bait and switch, with an upside..., December 6, 2013
The paper that I received was not the package shown by Amazon. Rather, I got the same paper that Sasha shows in her customer images. When I peeled off the label on the package, there was another label that gave an Aitoh product number of FLC/KFC-200. If you like the paper shown in her images, then I would recommend buying this paper, though you may get yet another substitute. Perhaps this is an argument for buying local.

The paper I got (FLC/KFC-200) is cut true square, 15X15cm, and patterns are printed on one side. About half the sheets are white on one side, half the sheets are brown on one side. I like both, and the paper seems to be easy to work with. Decent beginners' paper. Patterns are very understated.

Hard to say how I feel about ON CLOUD 9 substituting this package. It seems like a pretty good quality paper at a good price, but I feel bad for those who got this thinking that they were going to get the paper they see on this web page.

If you want the pattern shown by Amazon, consider Daiyo Shiko's Washi Style Origami Paper 120 sheets:

B001EHA5M6

However, you will get fewer sheets for more money.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for its quality, quantity, and patterns, November 24, 2011
Ice River (New York, New York, US) - See all my reviews
I am happy that I bought it. The product is excellent with two slightly different qualities... and good price too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not 200, 48, March 19, 2013
It came with only 48 sheets of paper, wasn't great washi paper either. Although the price was minimal so I have to decide if returning them is worth the trouble.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same origami paper pictured., January 28, 2014
I didn't get the origami paper that is pictured. It's different paper and it's okay quality.
. . . .

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from the last order, November 5, 2013
Tracy (Fort Wayne, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered the exact same item that I had six weeks before and it was not the same. Disappointing that we did not have more of the traditional designs this time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›