5.0 out of 5 stars Can't cook Japanese without it
The basic stock for 1,000s of Japanese recipes, dashi is absolutely essential for anyone wanting to cook authentic Japanese cuisine. As famous chef Shizuo Tsuji once said " "many substitutes for dashi are possible, but without dashi, dishes are merely a la japonaise and lack the authentic flavor".

Dashi can be made pretty easily from scratch, boiling some...
Published on September 11, 2008 by Zack Davisson

1.0 out of 5 stars MSG
product wasn't really what i was expecting. i've purchased dashi before, i don't know if this is considered a different variety than just dried "dashi" stock, the flavor was just off. the MSG in it is also unfortunate. i tossed the whole package out after using it for just one dish. hopefully i can find another brand, sans MSG, and the more delicate flavor I...
Published 1 month ago by J. Todd

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't cook Japanese without it, September 11, 2008
This review is from: Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz. (Misc.)

Dashi can be made pretty easily from scratch, boiling some kombu or katsuobushi shavings, but you often make far more than you need for the particular recipe, and it can be a pain to spend all that time boiling. Instant dashi does the trick just fine, and almost no one will notice the substitution. This kind here, "Hon Dashi" (meaing "Real Dashi"), is the cream of the crop of instant substitutes. Made by the company Ajinomoto, Hon Dashi is absolutely brimming with umami, the fifth basic flavor found in Asian cooking. Hon Dashi is made from katsuobushi shavings, so it is a basic fish stock and not suitable for vegans, who would probably want to make their own kombu stock.

I use Hon Dashi for almost everything, from basic miso soup, to tamagoyaki, to using it to boil vegetables and give them a heartier flavor. Along with mirin and soy sauce, it is one of the most basic ingredients in a Japanese kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ajinomoto Hon Dashi, August 7, 2010
This review is from: Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz. (Misc.)
I buy this locally in a much larger box but it is the same product. This product is just as good as making your own, which I did for years before finding it. The larger box has 1,000 servings but that is for a weak dashi so I use double the granules. For this product with the 3 packets, just add them into a small jar and use 1 ts per cup hot water (adjust to your tastes). That adjustment is why it says '3 to 6 cups'. Also, this product stores with no loss in flavor in a sealed container for years. I actually have some in a salt shaker (with rice to keep it dry) and use it commonly as a flavor boost to vegetables (green ones especially work well with it).

This is actually a good starter size box. For those not sure what to do with it, a sample recipe:

3 cups made up dashi (1 packet)- taste and add water if you wish it weaker.
1 packet Udon noodles (may use cooked spagetti) appx 1.25 cups volume
1 cup lightly packed leafy vegetables (spinach, mustard greens, cabbages etc)
Optional- baby bok choys whole, shellfish (whole or chopped), peeled shrimp, miso

Bring to a simmer and as soon as the veggies and optional meats are done to your liking, it's ready. This is the 'kitchen sink' soup of Japan, meaning just about anything might land in there though the items are normally pre-cooked leftover bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Dashi - Makes Great Homemade Miso Soup!, February 11, 2011
Christina J. (Bloomington, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz. (Misc.)
I am very happy with this dashi. I like that I can use it to make just a small amount of stock if a recipe calls for it, and it also makes an excellent miso soup without having to get take-out every time I happen to crave some. (For two servings I use 1 tsp dashi powder, 3 cups water, 2 big tbsp miso paste - plus add-ins like onion, tofu, etc. It's really good!) This is a good value too - a box this size will last me a long time. Inside the box there are 3 foil packets to help it stay fresh. They do recommend refridgeration of the opened portion, but the rest can stay on a shelf.

Although salt is listed first on the ingredient list, the sodium level in this product is not very high. Which is good considering the amount of sodium that other Japanese ingredients tend to have in them. It's important to remember that ingredients are listed by weight: salt is going to weigh much more than the dried fish flakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what my miso was missing, June 1, 2009
NYCchick "NYCchick" (NYC, Manhattan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz. (Misc.)
My best friend returned to Japan and I felt that unless I went to a Japanese restaurant, I would never, ever have real miso soup.

I tried every paste, every color. I tried making my miso with and without wakame; I even tried mixing the pastes and still could not get it right.

I FINALLY got it! I didn't even intend to order Hon Dashi, had it on my wish list, but it was the best mistake I could make.

I'll be experimenting with my dashi to see what else I can add it to. The smokey flavor is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 21, 2009
This review is from: Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz. (Misc.)
I bought this product so I can make miso soup at home. It turns out perfect every time. It taste just like the kind you get at a Japanese restaurant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bonito soup stock, June 24, 2012
The Scoot (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz. (Misc.)
Most chefs would probably prefer to make their own soup stock. However,if you're in a pinch an instant soup stock can be a life saver. If you want to make some tasty dashi fast than Ajinomoto's excellent HonDashi can be your savior. The flavor is there and HonDashi is so easy to use.

Each box contains 3 bags. Nutrition facts and a serving suggestion are listed on the back of the box. 150g of HonDashi should take you a long way. Ajinomoto recommends 4g for 4 servings.

HonDashi is an excellent product from a very reliable company.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, April 14, 2012
This review is from: Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz. (Misc.)
We've been making Miso soup at home for a few months now and this helps it taste very good. Not all salt and lots of flavor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy with it, February 14, 2012
This review is from: Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz. (Misc.)
The order came in on time. The package was nice.
I have opened one package and started using it. It is exactly the same as the ones I bought from local Asian food store.
Actually, it is better and fresher.

I definitely will bu this again. For anybody who is looking for buying DASHI, I definitely will recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite for a Veryyy Long Time, December 5, 2013
This review is from: Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz. (Misc.)
Home made quick and easy Miso Shiro isn't the same without Ajinomoto Hon Dashi. Unless of course you want to buy the freeze dried bonito tuna lfakes, or try making your own broth from the little dried fishes in a plastic baggie.

Then at the other end of the scale there's the packet saved from the last time you cooked two Top Ramens and only used the one flavor pack. But then we're here for the taste factor. And besides I never got the hang of the little fishies you use to make the soup broth and toss away their rehydrated little carcass'.

(I discovered If careful it was possible to tie them on a hook to use as bait fish in Yokohama Bay)

Witness: If you see Anjinnomoto on a Japanese Food label and it is going to be good. (if you follow the instructions)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dashi = MSG!, September 19, 2013
This review is from: Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz. (Misc.)
Okay, folks....Dashi has to have MSG! Dashi is made with konbu (seaweed) and bonito (fish). If you ever have seen dried konbu there is a film of white powder. Guess what folks? The white powder is pure, naturally-occurring MSG. So if you are put off by the MSG listed on the ingredient list, then don't eat miso soup, or anything else that has dashi, even if it's homemade. For those of us who love dashi flavor, and who aren't sensitive to MSG, this is an indispensable product.

Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz.
$7.19