Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation STEM

on August 22, 2007
This TV is very good for the price. Specs include: 8ms repsonse time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, ATSC/NTSC tuner, built in DVD player, HDMI in, and others listed in the description.

Features aside, this TV delivers a solid picture. I put it in my roughly 100 sqft. apartment bedroom and it is much larger than the 13" tube TV it replaced. With only a 2-d comb filter, picture sometimes looks a little washed out, but not too too badly. Plus, the 2-d comb filter is only used on the composite-in and NTSC cable in, nothing else. Motion blurring is non-existent at best, and only a mild nuisance at worst. I was watching a Futurama DVD and when the ship flies by at the start of the intro, it gets a little blurry but not so bad that it is a large distraction.

Preset picture modes are good, and the menu gives you quite a bit of wiggle room for fine tuning the picture, given the price of the TV. The menu also has an audio adjustment feature but this does hardly anything to effect the sound. The speakers are only passable. I recommend using the audio out function as it will give you so much more.

progressive scan DVD player itself is a nice compact slot-loading unit with good controls and a decent picture. The remote is easy to use and has a decent range which is good because this TV is NOT compatible with universal remotes (as far as I know anyway).

In short, this is a good solid TV with nice features for a low price. If you are good at shopping around you may be able to get one of these for the same price as a new xbox 360 premium which, might I add, comes in very clearly and crisply through the HDMI in. It's not going to be a "wonderful change the world amazingly superb ridiculous" TV but it is good enough to warrant the price for frugalists.

===========update=============
I've had this tv for a few months now and I can honestly say that I am even happier with it now than I was before.

First off, the speakers are much nicer than previously indicated. This was because of my mistake. The basic treble and bass EQ of the TV was way off and the surround sound simulator makes things even more complicated. However, after some fine tuning I got some really good lows out of the speakers and some good punch. It can't replace home theatre and I still recommend audio out if you have better speakers (I have a Philips 2.1 set-up) but otherwise they work a lot better than before.

Control over individual red, green, and blue color temperatures are really cool. This is something that isn't offered on a lot of sets but it is a blast to fiddle around with.

Black levels are deeper than expected, seems much better than the indicated 1000:1 contrast ratio but only on YPbPr, HDMI, and DVD. For any signal coming in at 480i it is only so-so.

If I have one complaint about this TV now it is that it gets very very hot. This is one set which should be well ventilated. My parents own a Panasonic 42" plasma, and this tv can get hotter than the plasma after only being on about 30 minutes.

Still, it is extremely reliable and gets a 5 for 5 for exceeding standards both in size and price.
on June 26, 2007
This TV is exactly what we were looking for. The built-in DVD player is a big plus. We wanted to be able to play our in-house DVD movies on this unit, and I was concerned how, and if, they would play. After reading good reviews elsewhere, I ordered it, and have been very satisfied. I would highly recommend this product to anyone.
on October 4, 2009
I have had this tv for 3 years now and its on its last leg. The picture quality is good but other things are going out on it. The remote will not turn on the tv now, you have to turn off the main power button the turn it back on then push the side power button for it to come on. Then you have to wait for several minutes before you can adjust the volume. Also the screen is getting dark swirls on the left side. If I were to do it again I would not get this TV.

The Dvd player is not a very good one, I use another player and dont us the built in one very much at all. Picture quality is good, except for the black swirles. Sound is bad, so use different speakers.

This set is ready to die after only three years of use. What happened to the days where one could count on their TV to last between 10-20 years?
on July 2, 2007
I got three of these to run slide shows continuously for display and they've been great. I like the side loading DVD player because it keeps it under 4" thick. The only disadvantage I see is that you have to have the remote to use DVD menus. The button controls on the unit are limited and basically only for the TV functions. Overall it's a great value for the size and functionality for the price!
on June 10, 2007
We just got it last week and it came in on time and in good condition. Since it came all the way across the states I was alittle worried. The TV picture is good and the DVD works. It was easy to hook up. I have not yet got the Dish Network remote to run the TV. Hope I can figure it out. I just have to turn it on with one remote and change the channels with the other. The price was real good from Amazon.

I would recomend it.
on November 28, 2008
I've had this Akai 27" for over 1 1/2 years now, so my review is based on extensive use and long past the factory warranty.

It's just as good as described by all the happy customers who've posted their comments here.
I don't know what to add, except that after 20 months it's still going strong.

The DVD player works fine, except of course it's not as good quality as the more recent DVD players that have come out during the past year. Still, the convenience is wonderful, and the quality is as good as anything I've been watching for the past five years on DVD.

My only complaint would be that the sound cannot be turned up to a loud volume: small room volume only.

This TV/monitor is being used about 8 hours every day, and I could not be more pleased.
on January 29, 2009
I've had the TV for about a year and a half or more. The DVD player never worked from day one, so I'm not judging by that, I have an Up-Converter with HDMI anyways. But the TV is great. Picture quality is great, shows in 1080i (I have the 32 in), has HDMI input, and HD component cable input. My beefs with it are that it will randomly switch between mono and stereo sound, and I have yet a way to figure out how to make it stop. After about 9 months, you could here a small crackle in the sound every once in a while. And now, there is a dead/dying pixel. But honestly, for the price I paid for a 32 in HDTV.... phenomenal.

ps. The Start up takes a long time..
on August 11, 2008
This is the second AKAI LCT2721AD television I purchased, because the DVD player went out on the first one. Had this one less than six months, and the DVD player went out again. Good television, bad DVD player! Spend a little more for a better one. I should have (twice!).
on June 14, 2009
This piece of junk lasted 2.5 years. After about a year the screen quality degraded with black smears in various places. At 2.5 years it quit working completely. Since I paid about $750 for the piece of junk that's a cost of $300/year. What a deal.
on October 16, 2008
My husband and I bought the 32" version of this tv and everything was fine until 16 months after we bought it. One night the display suddenly went screwy and then to the snowy fuzz screen. The whole time it sent off this high pitch noise that was deafening! We tried turning it off with the remote and with the buttons on the side of the television, but nothing worked except to switch the breaker off. When we tried turning it back on nothing would work. After working with it for 2 hrs my husband was able to get it to come on, but within a matter of minutes it would freak out and nothing would work again. My husband went online to see if there was someone that had the same problem and maybe had a solution for it. Instead he found a LOT of people with the same problem and a $300 solution from a technician. It seems everyone's television started having problems just months after the manufacturer's warranty expired.

Of course when our problem started the manufacturer's warranty had also expired, so we took it back to the store. We were lucky and got our money back because it was a reputable store and I think they were embarrassed that they sold such a crappy television.

But my advice to anyone considering this television is to save yourself the trouble and get a brand you know and trust and one that works!